Being Fat isn't Bad

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

McNinja:
There's a huge difference between being overwieght and overfat. Overfat is unhealthy. Overweight we see on a daily basis. My dad is overweight, but not overfat. The weird homeless dude who lives out of his car and disappeared from a nearby starbucks, on the other hand, is overfat.

It really isn't that hard to stay in shape. If the guys at Epic Meal Time can stay healthy despite eating tens of thousands of calories every few days, then I'm sure someone else can find the time to go for a short walk or take the stairs instead of the escalator and have water instead of Coke for lunch.

I'm impressed that the homeless dude managed to eat enough to maintain his portly physique.

Not a fan of fat people, due to all the complaining I get to hear about their health problems, or expensive doctor bills from being fat. It's the same feeling I hear when people that don't have any financial plan complain about never being able to retire. Our society has gotten so lazy and entitled, that it is expected that the governemtn will fix everything for us, whether our health or our future, so we can't be bothered to do anything in the slightest for themselves.

GrimTuesday:
Well that was patronizing as fuck. As a fat person, I don't need someone who has no idea the sort of shit I put up with telling me that despite the fact that I'm fat, I can be successful in life, and love. I'm not some fucking pansy who needs people to tell me that I'm not shit. There is no doubt that people look at me differently due to my size, its just part of life and I'm not going to bitch about it. Being fat is not good, its unhealthy and leads to heart disease, and other potentially mortal ailments and it makes preventing these more difficult because its harder to exercise.

I want to be your friend.

This made me feel warm inside.

Funny how someone can be so wrong in their wrongness. As a former fat person, IT SUCKS AND IS BAD! (uness you are rich celebrity apparently). No fat person will say its ok unless they are in complete denial and have totally given up... or just crazy. As someone who lost a lot of weight and intends to keep it off forever, I firmly believe no food tastes as good as skinny feels. I like being able to do 20 pushups and actually run. I like the fact I can pursue a career now that has fitness requirements. I like looking good in clothing, shit, I like being able to look self in the mirror naked without wanting to vomit and cry. I like the fact that women find me attractive for more than just my awesome sense of humour now and I'm reaping the benifits... I will always have the scars (stretch marks) to remind me of what a fat sack of crap I once was and they will never go away. Being fit and healthy IS A GOOD THING, that doesnt mean you have to be ripped though.

C2Ultima:
You make a fair point, but even if you factor out anyone who doesn't have enough to eat, I still don't see the logic of being proud of the fact that you consume too much.

*Shrugs.*

People are proud to be born in various countries, and that's random. Automatic. It has nothing whatsoever to do with you. They're proud of their skills at video games, when those are largely arbitrary and useless.

People are weird. :-P

Leadfinger:

Keoul:

Leadfinger:
I'm not the health Nazi with his knickers in a twist about fat people.

-le sigh-
you CLEARLY can't be reasoned with so let's just end this argument with a picture eh?

Yeah, clearly you've ensnared me in your coils of logic.

There's nothing more annoying than people that write "le sigh" or insult you and then end it with a smiley face or an insincere pet name. Just come up with a decent argument and then say it, or if you can't then just say "you win, I have no good response".

Your list of inspirational fat people is populated mostly by people that have had serious health problems because of their weight.

Growing up fat SUCKED for me.

Bradeck:
If people who advocate fatness on this thread went to the gym, and got on the treadmill, instead of arguing in this forum, perhaps there would be less excuses for being fat.

I myself used to weigh a ripped 220, at 6'3" (Which the Army considered overweight). When I was in the army. Then I got out, and without the constant exercise and proper diet, I ballooned up to 320 (which doctors consider morbidly obese). I didn't blame genes, I didn't blame the media, I didn't blame the butterfly effect, and I didn't make up bullshit excuses. I over ate, and sat around on my fat ass playing video games and working a desk job.

Now I am at the gym 6 days a week, for an hour at least each time, and I am on a balanced diet. No Soda, no sweets, no beer, more salad, more vegetables, and more shitty tasting food. However, in the 2 months I've been on this journey, I've lost 20 lbs. I am just now starting to run 5ks for charity again. I feel great.

So long story short, go outside and talk a walk fatties. There is no excuse for being fat. You sound like my alcoholic friend telling me it's a disease. No, Cancer is a disease. You just can't stop drinking/eating, because you have no will power.

EDIT: And another thing! Whats wrong with someone choosing to be fat you ask? Because my taxes go up and I have to pay for you're heart disease meds, your diabetes meds, and you're special needs from the hospitals. Being fat is not a personal decision, you're choice affects my wallet.

Pretty much all of this! This post summarised my views perfectly, the personal story was also great. Good luck guy, its great that you feel better.

The comparison to alcoholism is good, blaming anything other than yourself is silly and an attempt to dogde personal responsibility for your lifestyle. Many celebrities drink, we cant say "Oh but the pressure is for others to drink to be like them!" because that's idiotic. If youre a drunk and have a serious issue thats no ones fault but yours. Sure sociatal pressure might not HELP but we all manage not to drink or eat ourselves to death. We are living in a society where people are more accepting of fat people and drunks because the newer generations are opting to renounce more and more responsibility for their actions. Why take the blame when we can target celebrities, videogames, movies, the media or anything else? Why accept we can control our own choices? This is so much easier!

Its hard. Its tough shit. Im tired of people enabling others to reject the fact their choices are their own. Influences will ALWAYS contain BAD ideas and things but cmon its a little personal common sense to go "thats a load of dumb shit" and NOT copy the anorexic or over eating/drinking lifestyles. To accept that you can distinguish good ideas from bad. People are taking solice for their terrible lifestyle choices in the idea that "its someone elses fault". Its not. And this behaviour cannot be encouraged.

Dr Snakeman:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Dr Snakeman:
snip

Again I don't think you understand depression and anxiety, if I wasn't mentally ill I'd agree with you. But it isn't something I can just ignore or 'get over'.

The reasons why I'm ill are certainly not my fault...

Never said your illness was your fault. And I'm not discounting the effect depression can have on a person's psyche.

But you don't just get to use the fact that you have a condition as an excuse to be less than your best. Yeah, there's something wrong with you. The same could be said for a lot of people, including the guy in that video. That doesn't stop him from being a total badass.

You can walk. You have no excuses.

Being mentally ill is just as much a disability as losing a limb, only people give your less sympathy and understanding because they cant see it.

Most people act like you 'There's nothing wrong with you, deal with it.'

He can use his motivation and willpower to overcome his disability whereas mine takes away those things. Some days I have trouble getting up enough spirit to get out of bed...

At one point I lost 3.5st through working out but then got depressed and put it all back on again... normal people don't have any idea about how it feels to be depressed. They just think you are 'sad'. I tell you this it's bloody horrible.

Please don't quote me again.

I was fat for a few years, but then I got extremely sick of it and lost 70 pounds from last year to now. I do agree that being fat does not hinder any skills you possess(well except physical activity), but as being a former fatty, I don't get how I was able to live like that for as long as I did. I think this was said before, but the only fat people I have a problem with are the complete overweight ones that are content with their body composition. Other than that, fat people are cool. :)

Being fat is awesome, especially during nuclear winter. Good luck surviving on your body skinny bitches. hee hee. Although if its a zombie apocalypse.....then we are screwed.

C2Ultima:
You know what kind of fat people I can't stand? People who are fat (really fat I mean, not just a couple pounds overweight) and proud of it.

Have you seen Supersize/Superskinny? (UK). Every episode when the massive person and the tiny person have switched diets and the little one is struggling to eat their own body weight in food, the big one gets all superior - "I didnt struggle to eat your meal, sometimes I eat twice as much as what Ive given you"...Its like their life is one giant pie-eating contest.

OT: Ready for a sweeping generalisation based on a probably inadequate sample population? Every fat person I know is a worse person than the others around them. My mother is the only fat member of our family, and she cant motivate herself to hold down a job or exercise. The guys on my hockey team that are fat frequently give up half-way through drills and storm off the rink to talk. The fat people at work dont get their work done, let alone do the extra work that everyone else finds time for, and in general produce work of a lower calibre. Now, Im not saying that this is all because of the fat, but it seems like a huge coincidence that the problem people in every aspect of my life are the big ones.

I can even kind of understand it - its enough of a hassle to get out of bed to go to work, or out of an armchair to exercise/work as it is...if I weighed an extra 5 stone, maybe it would just feel like too much effort.

dogstile:
You know what would greatly help this thread?

Define fat. Seriously, some people are going to see huge people who take up three cinema seats by themselves while other people will think anything above 12 stone (UK) is giant.

Edit: As an example: B]being just under 6 ft and just under 15 stone, I am a tad overweight on the media's perception, but am I fat? Probably not. However, I guarantee some people are going "15 stone? Dude must be massive".

Yeah, that's actually me in that picture on the left there. I'm not. Fat isn't a singularly defined term.

You cant really define fat on a broad scale - it varies from person to person how their weight is carried. Im around 5 foot 8, and weigh nearly 14 stone...but I have a 30 inch waist. On the other hand, one of my hockey friends is about 3 inches taller, weighs the same amount, and is a fudge cake.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Dr Snakeman:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Again I don't think you understand depression and anxiety, if I wasn't mentally ill I'd agree with you. But it isn't something I can just ignore or 'get over'.

The reasons why I'm ill are certainly not my fault...

Never said your illness was your fault. And I'm not discounting the effect depression can have on a person's psyche.

But you don't just get to use the fact that you have a condition as an excuse to be less than your best. Yeah, there's something wrong with you. The same could be said for a lot of people, including the guy in that video. That doesn't stop him from being a total badass.

You can walk. You have no excuses.

Being mentally ill is just as much a disability as losing a limb, only people give your less sympathy and understanding because they cant see it.

Most people act like you 'There's nothing wrong with you, deal with it.'

He can use his motivation and willpower to overcome his disability whereas mine takes away those things. Some days I have trouble getting up enough spirit to get out of bed...

At one point I lost 3.5st through working out but then got depressed and put it all back on again... normal people don't have any idea about how it feels to be depressed. They just think you are 'sad'. I tell you this it's bloody horrible.

Please don't quote me again.

*sigh* You really just paid no attention at all to what I've said. I don't care that your problem is in your mind and his is physical. You're still giving excuses, and as a living, breathing human being, you have no right to.

Frankly, though, I'm kind of sick of trying to change your mind, so you don't need to worry about me quoting you again. This post is only here because... well, this is the internet, after all. We like to get the last word around these parts.

Also: captcha is "exterect Her".

Exterect who? And whatever "exterecting" is, I'm pretty sure it's not that fun for the woman undergoing it. It could also probably get me arrested. So... thanks for the suggestion, captcha, but I think I'm gonna take a pass on this one.

I've read through a lot of the posts in this topic, not all of them admittedly because I have to go to work shortly but I do want to weigh in on this topic.

I agree that the OP was "patronizing as fuck." You sound just like my mom used to sound when I was a kid and would have to buy a bigger size shirt or pants from the last time we bought clothes. I heard everything from "different brands are cut differently" to "this fabric tends to feel snugger than what you usually wear." As bad as I felt about my weight, I felt equally bad that my mom pretty much instilled in me as a kid that I can always justify/excuse my weight. Don't try to hold my hand. And I'm going to tell you why you don't need to hold my hand and tell me I'm special even though I'm fat.

Story time!

I'm a heavy guy, and for 98% of my life I've always been heavier than what health guides, fitness tests, PE teachers, etc. have told me I should be. That being said, I was active as shit as a kid. Sure I played video games, but if the sun was out and I was able to, I was outside with my friends. Whether it was something as simple as jumping on a trampoline with a couple of buddies, or playing basketball at the elementary school on the weekends, I was pretty much always doing something outside. I was still heavy, but I was active.

Throughout middle school I played 3 sports: baseball, football, and wrestling. I was one of the most athletically involved students at my middle school, but was still one of the heaviest. In 8th grade I was 5'6" and weighed between 190-195. I didn't look fat, but simply by looking at my numbers I was obese for my age.

My older brother was the type like a lot of posts I've seen where he would eat and eat whatever he wanted and not gain a pound. It's bad enough being close enough to his age that people in school would constantly compare me to him (and I felt like I never lived up) but then physically he was always smaller, and thus got more attention from girls, and that was depressing as shit too.

I think you can see where this is going.

In 8th grade I injured my neck and was actually paralyzed for about 12 hours before the steroids the doctors gave me started working and I could move my toes. It was almost 2 months before I could go back to school and even longer before I could workout/be active like I was before. Nerve damage in my neck caused my left side not to regain its strength as quickly as the right side, so I had to do some more physical therapy to get that all straightened out. By the time I was completely over the injury itself (I still have lingering issues with my neck and left side weakness) I had put on 30 pounds from not being able to do anything. Admittedly my diet wasn't all that healthy, but it's difficult to convince a kid that the food that tastes like liquid sick is good for you and will help you in the long run. No kid thinks about the long run.

Anyway, So within the span of a few months I went from being an active, healthy, but technically obese kid to a weaker, heavier, less healthy version of myself.

My injury limited the types of workouts I could do for a while. I always enjoyed lifting weights, but with the neck injury I was severely limited with what I could do for a long time. The physical therapists even told me to take it easy on running (this was after I tried running, my left leg giving out on me, and me nearly getting hit by a car because I couldn't get up quickly enough). I got out of the habit of working out. I wasn't as active anymore. I was also going through depression (I was diagnosed with depression at 15 years old, was even suicidal for a spell) In high school I played baseball for 4 years because that was the only sport I was cleared to play (and I had to move from catcher to 1st base to even let the doctor's clear me for that).

So with only being really active for a few months of the year, instead of all the time, I started putting on weight again. I also had a couple of really bad summers working at a mall and I didn't know how to NOT eat all the unhealthy shit that was around me. I started my senior year of high school at 260. In October I started a diet program (it really wasn't a healthy program at all, I ate almost nothing on a given day) and started ignoring my doctor's limitations on my workouts. From October to the end of January I lost 45 pounds and was the healthiest/fittest I'd been in 4 years. I was still 30 pounds heavier than when I wrestled in 8th grade, but I was in almost as good of shape.

In college my lifestyle changed and I became less active, because I wasn't playing sports anymore. I started staying up much later than I used to, and would in turn be eating food later than I was used to, and eating less healthy food at those hours. That caught up with me. I would also have bouts of depression that would leave me unable to get out of bed for days at a time. Ever since High school I've managed to put on about 10-15 pounds a year. I never maintained a steady workout schedule, I never at like I should've eaten.

I dated in high school/college so it's not like girls just completely ignored me because I never looked liked what my numbers said I should. I certainly wasn't thin, but I carried my weight well. Still, I could see the numbers getting higher and higher each year.

The crazy thing was, I've never had health issues related to my weight. My cholesterol was a little high in college, my heart rate is normal, my blood pressure is normal, so I've never really felt like my weight was anything more than just a number.

Then I went to grad school 700 miles away from home. Oh man. That was rough. If I wasn't in class, studying, or doing an internship, I was asleep. That's how my schedule worked out for me. Meals were irregular, never healthy, and sometimes a dinner would consist of whatever I could scrounge up in my apartment because I had no money to go buy groceries. I felt like I had no time to work out and not have the academic ares of grad school suffer. I put on some weight then too, and for the first time I really started feeling bad about my weight. I started to feel like I was less of a person because I couldn't find time to work out or couldn't maintain a reasonable diet on my own.

I moved closer to home in October and in December I joined a gym. I started a Biggest Loser competition at my gym in January and weighed in initially at 297, by far the heaviest I'd ever been. And unlike when I was more active in high school, I looked it. I looked like I was 297, and I had become more of a stereotype than I'd ever been before.

Since January 9th, I've lost 25 pounds, and I'm figuring out how to eat a better diet than what I'd been eating. It's a slow process. I'd love to get back down to my senior year 220 baseball weight. I'm working towards it though and I feel like I'm going to get there. I still go through depression that keeps me from missing a workout day here and there, but I'm moving in the right direction.

TL:DR: Healthy, active kid, was still heavier than normal. I participated in sports my whole life up until college. Severe neck injury led initially to my first big weight gain in a short period of time, and limited what I could do with workouts. Lifestyle changes in college in grad school led to yearly weight gain (which itself wasn't unusual for me) but changes in my physical appearance that I was becoming more and more unhappy with. At 24, and weighing in at the heaviest I've ever been and being most unhappy with my appearance, I joined a gym and have lost 25 pounds since January 9th.

Judging by the numbers alone, I've been "overweight" or "fat" all my life. It's only been within the last 4 years that I started feeling dissatisfied with my appearance regarding my weight (I have bad hair genes, and a broken nose as a kid left it looking odd but that's another story) and I'm now taking the steps to change that because I'm in a position to do so.

I admit my diet could've been better as a kid, but I also believe genetics play a part in someone being overweight. Moral of the story is, these people who say they hate fat people or fat people should be ashamed of being fat are fucking stupid. You don't know how that person got in that condition. You don't know that person's life.

I'm fine with thinking being fat is unhealthy, because in a majority of cases, it is. My sudden desire to lose weight doesn't have anything to do with my health, but is almost purely aesthetically based. I'm fine with people not being sexually attracted to heavier/fat people. But I think all of these people who are saying they "hate" fat people need to step back and evaluate themselves. You may have bigger problems than us heavier people have.

There is more than a semantic difference between being "obese" and being "fat". Fat does not necessarily mean unhealthy whereas being "obese" is by its very nature a serious health risk. It is certainly a persons choice to be obese but it is still a health risk, and should be looked upon as such.

And to Bradeck, addiction is a disease and while I do think that in alot of cases people use it as an excuse there do exist people for whom an addiction to food is a mental disease just like depression or social anxiety and for these people it won't be just trying to change habits it will be a daily struggle for the rest of their lives and they need professional help to stop.

Phasmal:
I'm perfectly okay with people being fat. But I wish I didn't get so much shit for being skinny.

I have something up with my stomach, so I have trouble putting on weight. So I'm always getting the `Skinny Bitches` thing. I just don't put on weight easily. When I was in school people spread a rumor that I was bulimic, just because I would eat chips and not put on any weight.

I think its best to be healthy, but if you choose to make unhealthy choices, you shouldn't be judged so harshly for it. (I mean, if you are in danger of kicking the bucket very soon, you should probably get a talking-to by a doctor, but otherwise).

^This. I was called anorexic for being so skinny and rarely, if ever, eating at school. The thing is, I'm extremely picky, so I won't eat cafeteria food. I'd rather go hungry than eat that pre-frozen reused days-old shit.

OT: As some people have pointed out, it goes both ways. It can be unhealthy to be on either extreme. But some people might prefer that lifestyle. Hell, I'm pretty sure there was a woman on TV who said she was aiming to be the fattest woman.

Point being, live however will make you happy, but at least be mindful of the risks and know if and when you have to make some changes.

KenoshaKid:
There is more than a semantic difference between being "obese" and being "fat". Fat does not necessarily mean unhealthy whereas being "obese" is by its very nature a serious health risk.

No, the difference is "fat" has no definition, "Obese" does. Mobidly obese people are also "fat". "Fat" is a word that is too general to use in any meaningful way.

Phasmal:
I'm perfectly okay with people being fat. But I wish I didn't get so much shit for being skinny.

I have something up with my stomach, so I have trouble putting on weight. So I'm always getting the `Skinny Bitches` thing. I just don't put on weight easily. When I was in school people spread a rumour that I was bulemic, just because I would eat chips and not put on any weight.

I think its best to be healthy, but if you choose to make unhealthy choices, you shouldn't be judged so harshly for it. (I mean, if you are in danger of kicking the bucket very soon, you should probably get a talking-to by a doctor, but otherwise).

If you want to gain weight, eat a huge breakfast, that always helps.

Firstly, the list in the OP is not a list full of great people who are exempt from what I'm about to say.

Being overweight is a correlation (not absolute though) of lesser work ethic and discipline. Being fit requires both of those traits for most all people, and if you have a strong work ethic and have strong self discipline, you will not be overweight in due time if you apply it to your health. Thus, in general, fat people ARE weaker in those areas, which I believe to be quite important.

Weight is a difference which means something, don't pretend it is not. The only differences that don't mean something in regards to ones' person are those whose existence are not affected and cannot be affected by ones' own will. Obesity in all its degrees is not one of those, even if you claim to have genes which inhibit your ability to be fit, you can still lose weight if you try. I know science behind the mind and obesity, and while it is still muddled water somewhat, anyone can be fit if they try hard enough (barring extreme disability).

Bomberman4000:
I've read through a lot of the posts in this topic, not all of them admittedly because I have to go to work shortly but I do want to weigh in on this topic...

Okay, going to make this clear and concise:

You originally said that you hated patronizing and that you hated excuses for being fat. Yet, in your story, you generate many excuses for your weight (injury, rough schedule, etc), and regardless of their validity, if you were serious in that you were angered by your moms' excuses, you would not have mentioned the injury and what not in the fashion you did. Which, was self-pitying and depressing.

You don't understand genetics too well I can tell, because while there are genes which affect metabolism, there is rarely such an extreme which would inhibit the ability to be fit over a long period of time.

Instead of arguing that point to you in technical detail (which is pointless, as there are very accessible essays on why your line of thinking there was wrong, as it is a common misconception), I will acknowledge a different type of genetic obstacle. That is, that studies show that overweight people who lose weight, often regain the weight they lost once reaching their desired weight.

This is due to the brain accepting weight X as what is normal, and when you drop to (x-50), your brain becomes concerned and tries to gain the weight back. Thus, it is easier to gain weight right after losing a lot of weight (I say this understanding the the weight loss is not instantaneous, rather I mean once the goal is met of the subject). The way to counteract this is to do a few things:

1) Try to maintain that weight for weeks consciously. Gaining weight is something which the body cannot hold off forever as it there reaches a point where it can not protect you from raising above X, however in losing weight, it simply stores more energy than usual. However if the body becomes used to (x-50) then it becomes Y, which replaces X!

2) Eat exceptionally healthy and be at least relatively active once you reach your goal for that weeks plus in (1). Your body needs to feel like it is not deprived in this new weight in any fashion.

3) Stay disciplined! Don't celebrate hitting 170 with cake and icecream >.>

I will conclude this post with a personal message to you. In middle school I don't think that you were fat or obese if you were as active as you say you were. There is a difference between athleticism and "fatness" and anyone accusing someone doing multiple sports and being very active of being fat is ignorant and doesn't understand sports or obesity.

I will always reference offensive linemen in the NFL when talking of this. Go google "Red Bryant Seattle Seahawks". He weighs over 350 and is athletic and healthy as hell.

This is a stupid argument to have, a lot of people aren't even considering reality or facts. Opinions only get you so far and it isn't far at all when they happen to suck.

For my money it seems there are two types of fat people; one type is people who eat too much and aren't lucky enough to have the metabolism that some skinny people have that just burns off everything, they are also too lazy to actually consider dieting or exercise, these are the type of people that once they finally get off their lazy ass and do a little work to lose the weight it just flies off, now most people would like to believe that this is the only type of overweight there is, just really lazy people who overeat. It simply isn't true though, the other type of fat person is the one who is probably on a much stricter diet than skinny people who judge them, assuming they are the first type, they exercise a lot but don't see very good results, ultimately it becomes very hard for them to continue this, so they simply go back to their old way not eating a lot and only exercising a decent amount with no results. I've personally met both types of these people and seen it occur from both sides, maybe there is more to it than I know but that is just my opinion I guess.

heart disease sez NO.

At just over 5 foot, and 11 stones, I am overweight, but not obese. Ever since year 6 (I comfort binged in the summer.) I'm been fat. Before that I was skinny, the skinniest person in my immediate family but not too skinny. The binge and living with my mum (who doesn't subscribe to the school of healthy eating.) didn't help. In order to reach a normal BMI, I have to lose at least 3 stones, I'm in college with my dad at the moment and believe me, it's all hands to the study desk, so no time for exercising.

All fun, fun, fun.

I guess...

Up until I was 13 I was skinny as a rake, I've been gaining muscle by working out and such (i'm 5ft 11" 140lbs). I don't dislike fat people but I do wonder everytime "how does one get so large?" I realise the obvious reasons, lack of exercise or eating for mental reasons or a different medical reason (I don't buy the big boned bullshit or the metabolism mumbo jumbo http://www.cracked.com/article_19296_6-lies-about-human-body-you-learned-in-kindergarten_p2.html)
But how does one get that large and not do anything about it, is it laziness or is it, again, a medical/mental reason.

I realise medical and mental fall into roughly the same category

Caramel Frappe:

Note: This thread isn't focusing on just appearance or physical health so read as you wish or check out my TL;DR section in case you want a quick summary.

. A lot of people I talk to whether it'd be on here, on the internet or real life... do not appreciate being fat or fear of getting some fat overall. Now, I perfectly understand why fat is a problem besides some physical issues here and there- people judge them based on their fat. Indeed it is hurtful, even to cause some to lose their self esteems over it but let me tell you why being fat, chubby, or having some fat on you isn't bad as everyone makes it out to be:

We as humans are meant to have fat on us no matter how much we want or will work out trying to gain muscle. Lipids are what I call fat-soluble vitamins for your body, you actually need them in order to function right besides your organs, other cells, ect. See, people think that burning all their fat will make their lives better or feel better about themselves. Yeah being fit is good but overdoing it or constantly burning off all your fat is just as unhealthy as gaining more lipids then usual.

Look at anorexic girls- the media tries to get girls (including guys but girls are the primary focus) to become skinny like the models they display. They want girls to feel bad about themselves even if they're not fat whatsoever. So they do things to themselves such as throwing up, unwilling to eat, run till they pass out.. other forms of activities that does an overload on burning their lipids. When they're finally skinny like the models.. they develop physical problems mainly dealing with their heart and sometimes it even affects their mentality (seriously). The only reason why the media poses all these so called beautiful people is so their products are bought of course. Obvious, but many fall for that.. including the motivation they give off to others who just want to feel better or stand out amongst the crowds.

Another reason people hate having fat or being fat is because.. they feel unattractive. In most cases, people date based on looks and of course if you're not in their tastes they'll be less likely to date you. However, there are many cases where that person won't date you simply because you are not what they're looking for despite looks. Personality has a lot to do with it. I know a great guy who hates being fat, yet because he's very calm minded and kind towards everyone he got with a pretty girl who loves him. Time is the answer for those doubting themselves.. just because you're alone doesn't mean you aren't good enough or because you're to fat (unless your personality is just flat out bad then you'll have a much harder time with this) doesn't mean you're forever alone. It just means the right girl/guy isn't there at the moment until the time comes. I believe everyone has a soul mate and if you are just yourself.. you're going to be with someone I know it.

My point is, being fat or chubby doesn't make you any less of a person. I'd rather have a guy who's "fat" but awesome as a friend then some cool dude who treats me like crap you know? Gamers come in all different shapes, sizes, colors, and kinds (kinds as in what kind of gamer they are depending on the genre they're into). Acceptance isn't about being accepted by everyone or having to make yourself, something else.. just to be treated alright.. acceptance is finding it through the right people and making something of yourself. Many, many famous people have done extraordinary things despite being far or having some fat on them.. here is a list if you want proof (which I mean to see HOW many succeeded in doing well despite what others may think of their physical state.)

- Martin Luther King JR.
- Jackie Gleason
- Fattie Arbuckle
- Rosie Odonnel
- John Goodman
- John Candy
- Oprah
- Senator Ted Kennedy
- Jon Pinette
- Dr. John
- Tom Arnold
- Santa Claus (He's mostly known all around the world.. even though he's fictional, many people adore him especially kids due to his legacy of giving joy and gifts to all and the Christmas spirit despite being fat.)
- George Lucas
- And many more

Besides, if some of your parents are fat (not saying actually very fat but have that stomach going) then you must know they got someone to love them due to personality, talents, or history of some sort that they shared with your other parent. It just saddens me how driven people are due to others insults upon them for being fat and then suddenly their fat holds them back on everything. How is being fat stopping you from doing well in art if you're good at it? How is being fat stopping you from bowling or doing well in football? How is being fat stopping you from anything really? Your will, and life alone is what makes you awesome and I appreciate people who accepting themselves but improving on what needs to change if there's anything wrong like having a temper and destroying your controller over a death on COD (lol I am a COD fan and yes I get upset but not to that point though.)

TL;DR - Being fat isn't really bad at all.. yes there are health risks but the primary issue is what people make of you. Just because you're fat or have a big stomach doesn't make it where you lose skills, talents or motives. If you love doing art, being fat doesn't make you suck at art, nor does it stop you from doing what you love. Also everyone finds love, just time is all it takes to find the person.

Many struggle even if not fat at all because the person they ended up with wasn't right and maybe to much on their looks. I know a guy who's fat yet got a really pretty girl and they're working out fine. Just takes time to find someone and even I am struggling to find the right girl.

Question: How do you feel about people who are fat? If you're fat, are you ashamed at all and if you are does this Thread help you understand that you're awesome no matter what? Not trying to be a goody goody here but I too felt fat at one point. It wasn't until recently that I got my spirits going and I wanted to share with you all about what it really means to be fat.. which doesn't affect you rather then shaping you a bit physically but that's it!! Being to skinny or to fat is bad so between the middle or a 45 degree is good to settle with! But up to you really.

Obesity is responsible for more deaths every year than smoking.

and we all know how bad smoking is.

please study up on a topic before posting.

.... being fat is not healthy. being anorexic is not healthy. Being fit... is healthy.

I didn't like being fat so I did Sit Ups til I puked and then Push Ups til I passed out in said puke. Needless to say, I'm in great shape now

C2Ultima:
You know what kind of fat people I can't stand? People who are fat (really fat I mean, not just a couple pounds overweight) and proud of it. Given the fact that there are undernourished people struggling to get anything to eat, it mystifies me how anyone can be proud of the fact that they eat too much.

I agree with this.

Also, being fat can be a giant health problem, and if your proud about running the gauntlet, then you need some psychiatric help. Putting yourself at a long running risk and being proud of it is not good for you or those around you.

Are all fat people bad? No, not at all, they can find everything a normal person can do, but if they don't realize that they are morbidally obese [over 400 pounds] then they need some giant help.

thestickman91:
I didn't like being fat so I did Sit Ups til I puked and then Push Ups til I passed out in said puke.

That sounds exceedingly healthy. You have inspired me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Loop Stricken:

thestickman91:
I didn't like being fat so I did Sit Ups til I puked and then Push Ups til I passed out in said puke.

That sounds exceedingly healthy. You have inspired me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

All my newsletter says is "If you can read this than you clearly haven't done enough Push Ups"

Overweight is one thing. Obese is another. Personally, I respect people who are extremely obese far less.

im sorry but society isnt saying you need to be skinny, its saying you need to be skinny to be attractive

and in general its right, sad as it may be and maybe its changing but as of right now in our western culture its fact

C2Ultima:
You know what kind of fat people I can't stand? People who are fat (really fat I mean, not just a couple pounds overweight) and proud of it. Given the fact that there are undernourished people struggling to get anything to eat, it mystifies me how anyone can be proud of the fact that they eat too much.

Because those people that are undernourished aren't the fat person's concern. I'm betting, given that you are on a computer, using internet access to visit a site that is centered around a very expensive hobby, that you have spending money and arent struggling to keep your heat on. well how can you ever justify that when there are people who cant afford a roof over their head? Oh right, because its not your problem, because you are a selfish asshole just like everyone else.

Fat things piss me off. I am one fatass motherfucker, and i dont give a shit what you think of me for it. But then I see all these things done by other fat bastards demanding special treatment because, as fat bastards, things are more difficult for us. Fuck that noise. I am a heavy pasty lump of flesh, and I WALK IN THE DAMN WALMART. "oh how unfair, the airline charged me for two seats!" Yeah, because there is an average weight of an adult human and you WEIGH TWICE THAT.

And then this bullshit about fat being an entirely acceptable lifestyle, and fat bastards (like myself) shouldn't be ridiculed for it. No, weighing twice, three times, four times as much as a fit person isn't a good way to live your life. It's unhealthy, and can be kinda gross. But some people (like me) dont give a fuck and are happy being fat bastards. And that makes my life HARDER, because I am sacrificing one thing (not being tired on the stairs) for another (not having to spend hours at a gym). thats how it works folks. If you are upset that people treat you differently because you are a rotund, weighty meat sack, then start skipping the cheeseburger and packs of skittles, and get some exercise. If you are capable of having some thick skin to go with your thick thighs, then bully for you and have another slice of cake.

Actually, fuck cake, I have ice cream in the fridge

*lights cigarette and cracks a beer open*

uh fat people... it's like they don't even care about their health...

Look, if everyone just put a damn treadmill in front of their video games there wouldn't be any more fat people.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked