Stuff you thought when you were a Kid

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Whne I was very young, I believed that each of my friends and their families lived on a different planet. That was way back when my total view of the world was slightly limited, so i thought this person had their house on the moon, while this other person had their house on Mars etcetc.

That wouldn't explain how one was able to travel to these peoples houses so quickly, mind. :)

That and the thing someone else mentioned about not getting changed in front of the tv, in case the people on tv were able to see you getting changed.

I used to think when moon was visible during the day that it was a counterpart for earth, i thought that there were cities and oceans up there people looking at us, it was a sad day when i was told that it was the same moon that i saw during the night.

I thought that 12 was the highest number. No clue where I got that idea from. Maybe clocks?

I remember drinking a cup of apple juice when I was 3 or 4, and noticing how the liquid had just literally disappeared when I finished. I then began to wonder why anyone would ever drown if they could just drink whatever they were swimming in.

I was convinced that there was a monster who'd come up and try and grab me when I flushed the toilet (I think maybe I thought the flushing noise was the monster roaring or something?) so once I flushed I'd flee down the stairs to cower in the living room for a bit.

Also, although I had a vague understanding that babies came from physical intimacy between a male and a female, when a little boy put his hand down my knickers when I was five I went crying to the teacher because I was scared that he made me pregnant.

I was generally fairly clued up, though, my mum would set me straight on most things, wouldn't try to tell me that Father Christmas existed or whatever. She got really angry when a teacher told me that the rumbling in my tummy was little soldiers marching up and down inside me when I was four.

I didn't think the black and white thing was so common, I thought it was just a Calvin and Hobbes joke! http://www.reoiv.com/images/random/dadbandwandcolour.jpg

Well one of my childhood thoughts was from when I was very young, about three I think. I basically thought that if I got water on my hearing aids, I would die (if I was wearing them). I mean I had to take them out anyway, or else they'd be ruined. This was disproved when I dived into a swimming pool, forgetting to take them out. I did however manage to convince everyone that this was true. Another thing was that I'd run around the house jumping on chairs and the table if I ate a banana. I think this was because people referred to me as a cheeky monkey. Maybe I though I really was a hairless chimp.

I thought if I turned my back a giant spider would jump up and attach itself to my back. I got the idea from watching a Doctor Who episode Planet of the Spiders (where just that happens). The consequences were that whenever I took a piss standing up in the toilet, I had to leave the door open and keep looking over my shoulder.

I also feared the blob would come under a crack in the door and swallow me so I sat in the middle of rooms whenever I could.

Most of my childhood assumptions were linked to self-preservation.

When I Was 6 I had Bad Eczema on my Legs
I always thought It was a Scar from a Shark Bite

I thought all landmass were on one side of the globe and the other side was all water with Atlantis somewhere beneath it. Then I saw one of those globes and went "Well this sucks... Now where do I find Atlantis and get rich :(((((".

I remember always hating long car rides and wondered why the government didn't just build long glass tubes (sorta like those from Futurama) to take us from city to city.

I thought I wanted marriage and kids.

Hah, nope!

I also wanted to be a secret agent. How fucking dangerous that is, I never considered.

I used to think that pressing B + Down before the pokeball closed would improve my chances of catching a Pokemon

I used to believe that if I didn't get out of the bathroom after flushing the toilet, before the gurgling sound of water flowing into the cistern sounded, that a Tornado would rise up from the toilet and suck me into it.
I look back at this and just sort of go "wtf"

I also thought that if I looked at lightning striking out of the window, that the Lightning would rebound, come through the window and hit me. Every time there was a storm I'd be terrified and either run into a room without windows if there weren't any windows in my way, or position myself behind a sofa or such so I wasn't in view of a Window.

And that thing that the speaker on a Gameboy Colour was a Microphone, and I could catch Pokemon easier by talking into it. This actually went around my school and a lot of people believed it.

For the most part as a child my mind was heavily grounded in reality except-

I thought that if I became a scientist I could one day invent an elixir that would mutant me into a raptor.

I thought my mother was poisoning my food and later my aunt after moving in with her, this was a result of a not so pleasant childhood.

And

After my cousin was told he could be anything when he grew up, he thought he'd grow up into a fire truck.

I thought babies came from the umbilicus of a woman.
I also believed that if you ate a seed, a plant would emerge from inside of you.

I didn't think music existed outside what was heard on the radio.

I thought that if people bled even the tiniest drop of blood, then they would instantly die. Of course, I learned different after a minor bicycle accident.
My dad was a fan of the Halloween horror movie series (as am I today), and I originally thought that Michael Myers was a basketball player, and that all of those movies were about basketball.
I thought that computers and computer monitors were the exact same thing.
I believed that if I sat up higher in my car seat that people in the passing cars would assume me to be much older than I actually was.
And of course, I, like many others, thought it possible to dig to China.

I remember watching some old film involving Queen Victoria and Benjamin Disraeli (the prime minister). My parents said to me "you know, that's not really the prime minister, it's just an actor pretending," to which I responded "does the queen know?!" I was horrified.

I thought the T-shaped tile patterns on the bottom of the local swimming pool would turn into hammerhead sharks if I didn't swim over them really quickly.

I thought that the teachers at school slept in the staff room after we went home.

I believed that if I didn't cross the road before the beeping warning sound it made stopped, Arwen from LOTR would die. I have no idea what led me to that conclusion. This was also before the films came out, so none of my friends had any idea who or what I was on about.

I checked the back of every wardrobe I encountered hoping to find Narnia.

I thought big trees were hollow and there were amazing, opulent rooms and staircases and things inside them, like a sort of castle or mansion, and that the round marks left after branches had been cut off years ago were the doors.

I thought that if I touched a firework in any way, it would go off and kill me. That was probably just my parents making sure I didn't play with them though.

I thought babies happened when a boy and a girl had a "special cuddle." I guess you could sort of think of it like that :P

Thanks to Toy Story, I thought my toys were really alive. I always tried to catch them off guard by exiting the room, imitating fading steps and quickly entering the room going, "AHA!".
I even tried staring at them like they would blink or sneeze any second. "Small Soldiers" didn't help either.

I used to think the numbers 13-99 & 101+ did not exist, for me numbers went 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,100. It does seem quite common for young children to have unusual concepts of numbers.

The only thing that comes to mind is that I used to think that two hundred came directly after one hundred and soforth. For some reason the concept of combining numbers above ninety-nine just didn't occur to me until somebody explained it.

I also used to think that one kilometer an hour was incredibly fast. I guess that originated from the fact that I had no idea how big a kilometer actually was and I just assumed that it was a very large distance.

i used to think that i owned my own Empire

now i own a Intergalactic Empire in which we live on a planet in Dark space with the ability to teleport to this planet at anytim...YOU HEARD NOTHING!!!

Angry Juju:
I used to think that pressing B + Down before the pokeball closed would improve my chances of catching a Pokemon

I still do that, i know it has no bearing on the catch i just do it because i always have.

That the primary diet of a horse was, OF COURSE, apples.

That pictures were watching me,...judging me. I remember I went through a phase of turning picture frames around just to feel comfortable being in that room.

i thought that car windows formed as you rolled the up when I was 6

I used to think that if it rained in my city it was the only place it was raining, same goes for snow, that it only happened in the borders of the city and engulfed the entire city. It blew my mind to find out it could be raining in the front yard of my house and be completely clear in the back yard.

I used to think that everybody else in the world was an Alien except for me, and they had some diabolical plan.

I thought if I told my parents I had figured them out, they'd have to kill me. I learned to live in denial at a pretty early age.

Smiley Face:
Holy crap, FIVE people so far thought the world was black and white before colour tv. How did you all get this idea?

I know. That one seems a bit odd to me, especially since it seems to be so common.

On a related note, I only met one deaf person as a kid, and after a confusing encounter I thought deaf meant heard of hearing. His sister talked to him in a loud slow monotone voice and I didn't know lip reading was a thing. Figured that one out pretty quick. Other than that, well just your usual stupid stuff.

I thought that your lungs were your soul. I was an odd kid.

edit

Angry Juju:

I used to think holding A+B on the GBA ones did that.

Gammayun:

Angry Juju:

I still do that, i know it has no bearing on the catch i just do it because i always have.

I have some friends who are CONVINCED that it improves your chances... then again this is the same friend who i'm constantly telling to get tested for retardation

Brutal Peanut:
That the primary diet of a horse was, OF COURSE, apples.

That pictures were watching me,...judging me. I remember I went through a phase of turning picture frames around just to feel comfortable being in that room.

I will admit to having done this.

Elementary - Dear Watson:

Binnsyboy:

Yep. Lost every single time :D

and what did your significant other say about your attempt at some comatose action?

Well I woke up half way through, very confused... I had aparently woken her up, she said after that I initiated it... but all I remember is waking up half way through... pretty decent feeling though... felt damn refreshed in the morning! :P

Heeyyyy... I remember this story from the other thread!

manaman:

Smiley Face:
Holy crap, FIVE people so far thought the world was black and white before colour tv. How did you all get this idea?

I know. That one seems a bit odd to me, especially since it seems to be so common.

The amnesiac is wearing off! Oh no!

When I was little, I strongly believed that children couldn't die, only adults. I thought that pain and bleeding were just substitutes for instant deaths, thus, I was a reckless, fearless, hell spawn of a brat.

Then, I attended a baby's funeral and that shattered my perception of death.

When I was old enough to understand how money works (which i think i was five), I was taught with dollars first, cause the numbers made it easy to say how much it was and why it was worth more. and then when i was taught coins i always thought that the bigger the coin the more value it had, so i always thought a penny was worth more than a dime.

EDIT: oh, and my mom always says how when i was three, we grew up next to a black family and i always thoughtt hat they had really bad sunburn, so i always told my friend to put on sunscreen before we went out so it didnt get any worse.

Im guess imjust glad we had cool neighbors and who knew we werent racist, and by the time i awas four I understood what skin colour meant.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked