Valve's Gabe is a brony

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Anyway, I think I'm gonna take this opportunity to jump back up on my soapbox about these adorable little nicknames people keep making for themselves:

STOP IT. You're a fan of something, that doesn't make you a member of some goddamn fan club. I can't stand it when someone has to call themselves a "brony" or a "gleek" or a "lostie" or a "whovian" or a "trekkie" or "potterhead" or...You get the picture. Why isn't enough to just LIKE those things? Why do you have to come up with a stupid title for your own fandom?

To be honest, have no idea why these little names bother me so much, but for whatever reason they just....irk me.

People in general like to identify themselves, and more importantly identify with others. Labels are a simple (yet powerful) way to do that.

OT: Yes, the tears caused by this are indeed oh so very delicious, lol. Not that I'm provoking anyone anywhere.

Toilet:
This is news?

Okay. Stop the planet; I want to get off.

S-stop the planet? Do you realize how much destruction would come from slamming the breaks?

Caramel Frappe:
-snip-

Maybe wrong wasn't the best word. I wrote it hastily. Apologize for that.

There is just something that bothers me with the whole "different levels of fandom". If you like something and show enthusiasm for it, you are a fan no matter how much or how little you show it.

I mean, if you compare me, someone who enjoys the show and watches it every sunday to... Let say someone that has all blind bag ponies, toys, posters, etc, etc... Does that make him more of a fan/brony?

To me it just makes him more verbal/showing of his fandom. Which is not negative in any way, it is just that we have different ways of expressing our enthusiasm.

And not a single fuck was given that day.

ilovemyLunchbox:
2. This is Gaben we're talking about. This is the guy who held up a sign saying some jagoff was his son just because he was emailed and asked to do so. He has a sense of humor. If he thinks it would be funny to tell the world he likes My Little Pony and then watch them squabble about it, he goddamn would.

Or he just watched MLP and thinks no one is pathetic enough to flip their shit about it on the internet. Goes for both haters and bronies, by the way.

NightmareLuna:
Maybe wrong wasn't the best word. I wrote it hastily. Apologize for that.

There is just something that bothers me with the whole "different levels of fandom". If you like something and show enthusiasm for it, you are a fan no matter how much or how little you show it.

I mean, if you compare me, someone who enjoys the show and watches it every sunday to... Let say someone that has all blind bag ponies, toys, posters, etc, etc... Does that make him more of a fan/brony?

To me it just makes him more verbal/showing of his fandom. Which is not negative in any way, it is just that we have different ways of expressing our enthusiasm.

No harm done my friend, I understand where you're coming from but I deeply appreciate what you've said nether the less :}

To me, I think being into something deeply where it's over the top does make someone more of a fan then someone who doesn't spend as much time into the series/franchise, but it doesn't make them any better then you nor in a higher position within society.

Nah, instead it just means they love the show where their passion desires more then what the show can provide. No matter if every fan of MLP identifies themselves as 'Brony', there still is a gap to how much of a fan someone else. But you're right about the fan just expressing his/her feelings about the show more while a fan can love it just as much, but conceal it within their minds (as in not expressing anything but merely watching the show overall). It's a concept we have to take apart, compare, simulate, and differ from what makes someone more of a fan or someone being a fan period but just being more open about it.

Yet I still believe that we have a few classes of how big of a fan someone is of a series/trilogy/hobby, ect. like for example: Mass Effect fans. Some are into the game greatly, yet do not feel very emotional or wronged about ME3's ending while some other fans feel downright outraged and offended to the max. Some even made charities, petitions, and so forth showing that they demand the ending to be far more suitable to such a great series. Even though they are fans like the other majority who are okay with the ending, they are showing far more interest, emotion, passion (even if it's in a negative light) about their franchise.

That is, to me.. perhaps something most fans wouldn't consider doing because they're not driven to do so like the other fans who've probably invested so much more time and interest in the game, when others are just enjoying it but aren't feeling that close to it. Hope that makes sense, I tend to write what I think down firsthand haha.

So, down at Valve HQ.

"So what can we do to stop them asking for Half Life Ep 3 over and over again"

"Wait I have an idea"

"World, I like My Little Pony"

*Fan outrage*

"That should keep them busy for a while".

Gabe, give me a brohoof.
And take this as my "welcome to the club" :D
Id get you a members jacket, but im horrible at stitching, so your out of luck.

Well gentlemen the day has finally arrived, we knew that this was inevitable but we never thought it would be so soon. Humanity is doomed.Each of you will be provided with a cyanide pill and a cup of water. I will see you all on the other side. God speed gentlemen, god speed.

Well, good for you gabe. And good for you, all you other bronies. I may not like it, I may not even understand it, but you're free to watch what you want as long as it's not disney teen movies.

but mark my words! I will never lay eyes upon that show, I am pure cynic, muhahahaha! I will hole up in my fort with Dr cox, dr house, and francis from left 4 dead and you can send all the brony herds you want, as they will be torn asunder by machine gun fire and pure, bitter cynicism towards all your friendship and niceness! WE ARE BITTER! WE ARE GRUMPY! WE WILL TRIUMPH!

Does this in any way matter?? If someone enjoys the show, they should watch it. If not, just don't watch it. All this obsession over who else watches it is silly. Trying to define someone by one show they enjoy is ludicrous. His games are what matter, the rest is inconsequential. :)

That... does not mean anything to me. It's like if he admitted he likes wine.
Have to say though, he looks far more humanlike with the beard.

Doclector:
Well, good for you gabe. And good for you, all you other bronies. I may not like it, I may not even understand it, but you're free to watch what you want as long as it's not disney teen movies.

but mark my words! I will never lay eyes upon that show, I am pure cynic, muhahahaha! I will hole up in my fort with Dr cox, dr house, and francis from left 4 dead and you can send all the brony herds you want, as they will be torn asunder by machine gun fire and pure, bitter cynicism towards all your friendship and niceness! WE ARE BITTER! WE ARE GRUMPY! WE WILL TRIUMPH!

O.T:Huh. That's...cool, I guess. Doesn't really change anything.

Well, in my eyes, Gabe is now 20% cooler.
Now his coolness level is over nine thousaaaaaaaa-etc..etc..
Also the beard suits him well.
But still, what is all the rage about? so he enjoys the show, maybe he got hooked in because he had to watch it with related schildren maybe,but still, who the flying fuck cares? let him be.What is this ages fascination with other people's personal lives?

Gabe Newell is into MLP?

XD!!!

That's pretty funny.

...Wait...some people are flaming like crazy in the comments? *checks* ...HUH? Why? What's the big deal if he watches MLP? Why is this being flamed? ?_?

Imagine if Valve made a My Little Pony game.

I'd be interested.

Of course, you realize what this means:

Suicidejim:
Oh . . . no? I'll be honest, I'm just puzzled. Man likes TV show.

I've never got the controversy. It's just a show.

This is a brilliant opportunity to laugh at people's reactions on YouTube, that's why it matters.

So THIS is the reason Half Life 3 has been delayed. It all begins to make sense...and I'm ok with this. Even more evidence for why Gabe is awesome too.

Next he'll say he likes videogames, too.

What a fucking nerd!

He could hunt kittens for the hell of it, that wouldn't really bother me by this point.

Andy Shandy:
I believe this sums up my view of this news.

My thoughts exactly. It's a show on TV and he watches it. I don't even watch it but seriously...WHO THE HELL CARES?

Caramel Frappe:

Fappy:
I think we need to make a distinction here: Is he a brony... or does he simply watch and enjoy MLP? I mean he said it but it doesn't necessarily mean he is actually part of the Brony community.

I'll simplify it for you, since I used to be a Brony.. now i'm just a happy-all-around fan.

Fan of MLP: FiM = Someone who enjoys the show, loves the characters and admires the artwork or how entertaining the story is within each episode. They are however mainly into other things, and only watch the show without expressing how much of a fan they are.

Brony = A major fan who identifies oneself as someone who literally loves everything about MLP:FiM. They will most likely have their Avatar relating to the show, have an urge to share inside jokes or references with others about the show, checks out multiple websites relating to MLP:FiM for purposes based on Memes or the liking, and most importantly they will feel far strongly for what happens in the show then what fans feel (the fans who like the show.)

Not that anything's negative about the two, yet I hope this helped most who read this understand the difference. I'm partly a Brony, but starting to really become just a fan faithful to the show alone (after all, I did quote you specifically on why I dislike the Brony community Fappy.)

i was under the impresion a brony was any fan of the show no matter what deegre it is (something that kinda bothered me since that that means a brony could be anything from someone that enjoys the show to someone that writes "clopfiction")

From the clips I've seen of MLP: FiM it just looks like Strawberry Shortcake with ponies - but not as good.

lionsprey:

Caramel Frappe:

Fappy:
I think we need to make a distinction here: Is he a brony... or does he simply watch and enjoy MLP? I mean he said it but it doesn't necessarily mean he is actually part of the Brony community.

I'll simplify it for you, since I used to be a Brony.. now i'm just a happy-all-around fan.

Fan of MLP: FiM = Someone who enjoys the show, loves the characters and admires the artwork or how entertaining the story is within each episode. They are however mainly into other things, and only watch the show without expressing how much of a fan they are.

Brony = A major fan who identifies oneself as someone who literally loves everything about MLP:FiM. They will most likely have their Avatar relating to the show, have an urge to share inside jokes or references with others about the show, checks out multiple websites relating to MLP:FiM for purposes based on Memes or the liking, and most importantly they will feel far strongly for what happens in the show then what fans feel (the fans who like the show.)

Not that anything's negative about the two, yet I hope this helped most who read this understand the difference. I'm partly a Brony, but starting to really become just a fan faithful to the show alone (after all, I did quote you specifically on why I dislike the Brony community Fappy.)

i was under the impresion a brony was any fan of the show no matter what deegre it is (something that kinda bothered me since that that means a brony could be anything from someone that enjoys the show to someone that writes "clopfiction")

Yeah that is it if you watch even one episode you get that name forced on you.

NightmareLuna:

To be fair, I've always seen "brony" as a term which is very open to interpretation. It means different things to different people.

OT: What changes if Gabe likes MLP? Absolutely nothing. I don't understand what everyone's so worked up about.

Well he would be a brony wouldn't he. He fits all the characteristics: fat and old.

The last bit by the interviewer: that's the sound of a man who just realized he's going to set the internet ABLAZE.

HOLY SHIT! THIS MAN LIKES MY LITTLE PONY? WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO NEXT THING YOU KNOW VIN DIESEL IS GONNA SAY HE LIKES D&D WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO...
Seriously calm down it's not a big deal although now I see many new ways for valve to troll fans

Cool for him. Chris Avellone likes Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. You don't see that making news. Really somebody liking a show isn't big news. If he likes it good for him. If you like it good for you.

Nice beard man. I like it.

OT: No,fuck that, I give no shits about your show and if people like it or not.

People are butt devastated because this is the first thing that pops into most people's minds when they think of the word "brony."

Mark Chipperfield:
Well he would be a brony wouldn't he. He fits all the characteristics: fat and old.

I'm with this guy. He LOOKS like the kind of guy who would watch a little-girl's cartoon. This is what I imagine all 'bronies' look like. Fat with scraggly neck beards.

double post

Wow, Steven Spielberg really put on weight...anyway yes, teh ponies, while the butthurt is hilarious it wouldn't surprise me if Gabe said this purely just to get under the skin of people who feel that what media one consumes is srs bsns. It amazes me to see just how firmly people from both sides get their panties in a twist over a bloody TV show.

Captcha: teh inter webs

Well spoken captcha, well spoken.

double post

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked