Well Peta Finally Went There...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Link if anyone feels like playing this:
http://features.peta.org/pokemon-black-and-white-parody/

Thoughts?

I remember reading somewhere that roughly every 2 minutes or so an animal dies of neglect or abuse.
Yet this is what's a hot issue to Peta.

EDIT:
I do like how the massive irony of Team Plasma went over their heads.
A group claiming to want to help animals/pokemon but in reality could care less and has questionable ulterior motives...

Somehow, I think PETA isn't aware that Pokemon aren't real animals.

I can only hope that Nintendo gun PETA down with their lawyer cannons, mostly because it would be funny.

But they ARE right. Pokémon always made me uncomfortable because the concept is very similar to animal blood sports.

I'm pretty sure the folks at TGWTG have already pointed this similarity out, as have others I'm sure. When other people compare Pokemon to cockfights or other blood sport (but for kids!) it's biting social commentary. When PETA makes the same comparison it's obviously a joke because "lol PETA".

It's an obvious parallel that PETA isn't the first to make.

You do realize PETA picks on Pokemon because it's what's popular, right? That's a lotta P's!

How else are they going to stay current - By actually achieving something?

EDIT: Pikachu looks fucking hyped though! :D

Richard A. Kiernan:
I can only hope that Nintendo gun PETA down with their lawyer cannons, mostly because it would be funny.

Can't see why they haven't already. They've attacked Mario and Pokemon, two of their biggest franchises. They aren't even trying to be subtle, they're all out using their IP without permission to slander the IP in question. I'll be fine with Nintendo suing the ass off PeTA. Hell, they can get past fair use because well PeTA are f'ing showing Pokemon getting tortured and hit, something which doesn't happen in the actual games. I'm pretty sure that counts as something.

Really...REALLY?

Well, PETA isn't going about this right. I mean, when they're fighting, the pokemons are actually free...FREE! What PETA should be fighting is stuffing those poor, poor critters into balls!

No but seriously, there is no facepalm to express my complete and utter exasperation. Seriously, I think we should start spamming all major media companies with:

"PLEASE STOP COVERING PETA SO THEY WILL GO AWAY! WE'RE GONNA FUCKING PAY YOU MORE THAT YOU'D MAKE WITH THE RATINGS JUST MAKE THEM STOP!"

You have to love that pun, though.

I'd play that edition ;)
Hop to it Nintendo!

ToastiestZombie:
I'll be fine with Nintendo suing the ass off PeTA. Hell, they can get past fair use because well PeTA are f'ing showing Pokemon getting tortured and hit, something which doesn't happen in the actual games. I'm pretty sure that counts as something.

It's called parody, and it's clearly Fair Use. Also, Pokemon definitely get hit in official Pokemon, there's a whole type of "Fighting" Pokemon. If you want to kiss Nintendo's ass, might I suggest Link? I think he'd be into that.

You know what? These guys are actually more like the Westboro idiots than I thought. I mean, think about it. Both of them piss and moan about crap nobody cares about. Both of them use legal loopholes to do so (parody laws and freedom of assembly). Both of them use pop culture references to spread their message (WBC sings popular songs with different lyrics). And both of them are not worth our time.

Dags90:
I'm pretty sure the folks at TGWTG have already pointed this similarity out, as have others I'm sure. When other people compare Pokemon to cockfights or other blood sport (but for kids!) it's biting social commentary. When PETA makes the same comparison it's obviously a joke because "lol PETA".

Although PETA is the first to decide to make it better by creating a game where you beat humans up, which is kind of a perfect summing up of their hypocritical attitude to the importance of human rights alongside animal rights.

Yeah, the whole catching Pokemon to battle them is an issue glossed over in the cartoons, but it's a cartoon. PETA are a charity, funded by donations from people wanting to help suffering animals. Is there seriously nothing better to put those donations towards than paying people to create a parody videogame of an issue not relevant to our reality?

Richard A. Kiernan:

They don't even put nitendo in the credits.

OT best line: Pussy soaked Ash in a watery splash
IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE
Ash Fainted

Go go maturity.

The PETA people seem to think that Pokémon are real.
Kinda makes me wish I was one of them...

Hero in a half shell:
Although PETA is the first to decide to make it better by creating a game where you beat humans up, which is kind of a perfect summing up of their hypocritical attitude to the importance of human rights alongside animal rights.

Yeah, the whole catching Pokemon to battle them is an issue glossed over in the cartoons, but it's a cartoon. PETA are a charity, funded by donations from people wanting to help suffering animals. Is there seriously nothing better to put those donations towards than paying people to create a parody videogame of an issue not relevant to our reality?

I guess it depends on how you feel video games affect youth. Just as religious nuts might criticize Pokemon for indoctrinating kids into believing evolution, some animal rights people might think Pokemon normalizes animal violence to kids. It's not an argument we haven't heard before. If anything, I laud their creativity in approach. They don't blame videogames generally, just the content of this specific one.

Honestly, Pokemon is theoretically even worse. Pokemon are shown explicitly to be both sentient and used for presumably uncompensated labor in some episodes. Plus there was that creepy Drowzee mind raping children episode with eerie similarities to the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Dags90:

ToastiestZombie:
I'll be fine with Nintendo suing the ass off PeTA. Hell, they can get past fair use because well PeTA are f'ing showing Pokemon getting tortured and hit, something which doesn't happen in the actual games. I'm pretty sure that counts as something.

It's called parody, and it's clearly Fair Use. Also, Pokemon definitely get hit in official Pokemon, there's a whole type of "Fighting" Pokemon. If you want to kiss Nintendo's ass, might I suggest Link? I think he'd be into that.

You don't have to be so rude about it. Jesus. When do the Pokemon games ever show the Pokemon with blood running down their faces, blood covered bandages and electric prods electrocuting Pokemon? That's what I'm talking about. But I can't be asked to have an argument about this, so I won't be responding to you.

Also, I'm pretty sure Fair Use needs at least a credit to the creators. Unless there's one hidden somewhere, there is no actual indication of a credit to Nintendo. It's fine to criticize the shit out of something, but not even putting credit to the original makers of the assets they're so blatantly copying is a massive dick move.

Revnak:
You know what? These guys are actually more like the Westboro idiots than I thought. I mean, think about it. Both of them piss and moan about crap nobody cares about. Both of them use legal loopholes to do so (parody laws and freedom of assembly). Both of them use pop culture references to spread their message (WBC sings popular songs with different lyrics). And both of them are not worth our time.

Glad someone else made that link. Their tactics are virtually identical, and they're both media whores first and foremost over everything else.

Dags90:

Again, it's PETA, the same people who don't want you to eat "Sea Kittens". If they told me the sky was blue, I'd demand verification.

Vegosiux:
Really...REALLY?

Well, PETA isn't going about this right. I mean, when they're fighting, the pokemons are actually free...FREE! What PETA should be fighting is stuffing those poor, poor critters into balls!

No but seriously, there is no facepalm to express my complete and utter exasperation. Seriously, I think we should start spamming all major media companies with:

"PLEASE STOP COVERING PETA SO THEY WILL GO AWAY! WE'RE GONNA FUCKING PAY YOU MORE THAT YOU'D MAKE WITH THE RATINGS JUST MAKE THEM STOP!"

It hasn't worked with Westboro. What makes you think it'll work with these looney toons?

As some people have said PETA isn't the first to bring this issue up.However some(PETA included) fail to remember that the show and the games encourage loving and caring for your Pokemon.So go go action mis-characterization.

Though that slowbro thing at the end did get a giggle out of me(I'm so so sorry).

ToastiestZombie:
You don't have to be so rude about it. Jesus. When do the Pokemon games ever show the Pokemon with blood running down their faces, blood covered bandages and electric prods electrocuting Pokemon? That's what I'm talking about. But I can't be asked to have an argument about this, so I won't be responding to you.

Also, I'm pretty sure Fair Use needs at least a credit to the creators. Unless there's one hidden somewhere, there is no actual indication of a credit to Nintendo. It's fine to criticize the shit out of something, but not even putting credit to the original makers of the assets they're so blatantly copying is a massive dick move.

It doesn't in the U.S., where PETA is based. A parody is considered its own creative work.[1]

Calling for a company to abuse copyright law won't endear kindness among most people who don't work for publishing companies.

Also, all I have to say is the final battle of the first Pokemon movie. The human characters even hint that it's wrong despite it not being substantially different from the majority of tough Pokemon matches.

I wonder if I know anyone who actually takes PETA seriously anymore. If I found out who I'd slap some sense into them.

GunsmithKitten:

It hasn't worked with Westboro. What makes you think it'll work with these looney toons?

I do think they really depend on media coverage, that's why they keep bullshitting with controversy in the first place. And well, what can say, a man can dream?

Speaking of looney toons tho...maybe we should get Bugs on it, really.

Then again maybe not, they'd just pull how he's a poor abused animal too >.< Just go with "Duck season, wabbit season, PETA season!"

Rodrigo Girao:
But they ARE right. Pokémon always made me uncomfortable because the concept is very similar to animal blood sports.

Except... The Pokemon are shown to have some very high level on sentience, so it could be argued that this a social construct between trainer and pokemon. The pokemon WANT to fight, is basically what I'm saying.

Case in point? If youre a pokemon trainer and your Charizard doesn't want to fight? It ain't going to fight. And if you try to force it too it may just kill you.

Dags90:

ToastiestZombie:

It doesn't in the U.S., where PETA is based. A parody is considered its own creative work.[1]

Also, all I have to say is the final battle of the first Pokemon movie. The human characters even hint that it's wrong despite it not being substantially different from the majority of tough Pokemon matches.

And then that entire character growth is negated when Mewtwo mind-wipes their memories.

I lol'd and played it. Also linked it to a friend of mine who is a far bigger fan of Pokemon than I am. She seems to be finding it hilarious and said she'd love it if it were satire and not, you know, Peta being Peta.

Casual Shinji:
You do realize PETA picks on Pokemon because it's what's popular, right? That's a lotta P's!

How else are they going to stay current - By actually achieving something?

EDIT: Pikachu looks fucking hyped though! :D

PETA picked a peck of pugilistic Pokemon?

PETA tends to just go for things that are "controversial" because the controversy itself causes what PETA feels is the promotion of its cause. Of course, the fact of the matter remains that this is a Hollywood misconception, and that not all publicity is good publicity.

So, if Nintendo sues PETA, then PETA gets what it wants: a web game that everyone would have forgotten exists is then catapulted into a drawn-out media firestorm, which increases PETA's visibility. The fact that Pokemon happens in a fictitious world means nothing to PETA, simply because PETA wishes to exploit the media though these types of stunts.

What I find fascinating about all of this is that PETA themselves -at their animal shelter- killed 97% of the animals delivered into their care. So, I hardly see how this is not hypocritical. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/douglas-anthony-cooper/petas-celebs-getting-nake_b_1352462.html

This doesn't shock me in the slightest. Peta gonna Peta. They 'went there' sooooo long ago.

So...Peta is Team Plasma?

But in all seriousness, I'm surprised this is even getting attention. Did we not learn from all of the Mario and Cooking Mama knock-offs they made?

Rodrigo Girao:

In a manner. There is context. For one, pokemon are for the most part at least as sentient as children. Secondly, they aren't generally caged up, they're digitized. Consider this horrible if you will, it still isn't conscious imprisonment. Thirdly, in context, pokemon generally empathize with their trainers and think of themselves as either pets or boxers. Injured pokemon get medical attention swiftly and thoroughly, from trainers who do choose to battle.
As far as the PETA game, they do touch on the terrible implications of animal fighting, albeit in their usual sadistic "meat is murder" portrayal of all animal-human interaction. Animal fighting is wrong, dangerous, and sadistic. I contend, however, that in-universe, pokemon are not dumb animals but sentient beings and have the power to rebel if they ever felt abused. What human could withstand a flamethrower in the face?

Dags90:

ToastiestZombie:

Calling for a company to abuse copyright law won't endear kindness among most people who don't work for publishing companies.

Generally speaking, pokemon don't fight to the death. In the movie, they were.

Dags90:

The difference is though that most other sources who draw that comparison aren't fucking hypocrits.

I'm sure if we ignore them they'll go away eventually probably

I hope MovieBob gives them another verbal beating, I loved that episode.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked