37.1% (146)
Inside my ethnicity as a female
5.1% (20)
5.1% (20)
Outside my ethnicity as a female
4.6% (18)
4.6% (18)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Dating inside or outside your Ethnicity/Race?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Personally, I don't care what skin color my significant other has, or what race they come from. Black, white, latino, asian, does not matter to me. What matters is how the girl acts, what their personality is like. If they're funny, fun to be around, generally intangible things.

It's not the color of the skin, but the overall... Well, quality of the girl.

Besides, all skin colors can be sexy in their own way.

As a male I don't actually have any preference.

I do find other ethnicity/races to be inherently more interesting which likely plays a subconscious role in terms of attraction or dating.

Where is the IDGAF option?

To be honest, I'm not really attracted to Black/Asian women. Probably because my parents aren't exactly the most politically correct people.

Plus me dad said "If [I] ever bring a p*** home, I'll kick you out." not any pressure on me, since I'm not really into them. Though some do look nice, I couldn't.

I have only ever dated white-british before, but that's more an opportunities thing than a preference thing. I went to a college in a town with a massive indian population, I fancied nice pretty indian girls and nice pretty white girls, but the only ones that liked me back were white ones. :( So I think to any point I was making, not fussed about race or ethnicity even if my dating history appears to say otherwise.

Cannot answer, due to it not actually being a factor in my choice of date.

Eh, if pressed I'm probably a bit more attracted to white women, but it's not really going to affect my choices. I mean, it's very unlikely that I'm going to be presented with a white woman and a black woman, who are both identical in every respect apart from race.

I mean, I DO tend to prefer women outside my ethnicity, but I wouldn't say that it's a conscious effort, really.

Actually, scratch that, I have a serious preference for Arab/Mediterranean women compared to your standard "white" woman. No point in lying to myself. Even Scottish/Irish women are generally far more attractive to me than your strictly-"average" white woman, ignoring the fact that I'm about 1/4 combined Irish and Scottish. Or maybe it's the foreign factor that makes anything that isn't average-American way more appealing to me...

Speaking in general terms, I like both? I guess?

One potential complication would be any cultural issues that come along, but in all honesty, I'm uncomfortable with a fair bit of cultural issues from my particular ethnic group, so again, it ends up working either way.

ive a preference for lighter skinned women such as asians, mexicans, and whites but im so hard up for companion ship id be ok if they were not even the same species

Where's the option for "no preference"?

disgruntledgamer:

Lionsfan:

So you're asking what year my book was printed (2011 by the way), and you're giving me sources that are 14, 14, and 10 years old?

Second, you shouldn't be using the adjective definition of ethnicity, not for the question you're asking, grammatically it doesn't make sense. In general terms a noun is a person, place or thing, and you're question: "Dating inside or outside your Ethnicity?" is using ethnicity as a noun. So you can't use ethnicity as a noun in your question, and then decide to use the adjective definition.

The sources have not been refuted and they're many others out there "Race is a real cultural, political and economic concept in society, but it is not a biological concept," When referring to humans.

As I said I should of used a better term, but couldn't think of one so I used the adjective definition for ethnicity, since using race to describe different humans really rubs me the wrong way.

If it's that confusing for you and will make you feel better I'll edit the post and put a disclaimer explaining exactly what I mean. Happy?

Actually I am happy now. My petty argumentative side has been placated...

Non sarcastic answer incoming:

For the most part I find white girls the most attractive. Nothing against girls of other skin color, it's just what I like

My wife is bi-racial (black and white) and I'm white. I think that's an answer. I've dated in and out of my own "race" or ethnic group or whatever you PC kids are calling it these days.

Never was a factor I guess... maybe I had certain preferences, based off nothing really in particular. I also found that dating anyone comes with a lot of barriers and hurdles to get over. Whether you can say those differences, I found dating outside my race easier. Maybe its due to growing up in the inner city during my teenage years, my cultural identity is that of a some one from the inner city. When you date out side that, lets say sub-urban/rural culture. Thats when you fine more barriers to break through whether you are the same race or not. (personal experience)

I have no idea what an "ideer" is. but apparently its the same thing. When I say "Good looking, dude." people mistake that as a vaguely homosexual compliment when I really meant "Thank you".

That put a whole new spend of years of saying that in my neighborhood. It's a little off subject but I find it interesting, that unconsciously I took on my neighborhood's dialect and manner of speaking. Sometimes I get called a "wigga" or wannabe white boy trying to act black(this is always white people who say these things) to me though its totally involuntary. I communicate differently in written word, but thats because written communication is wildly different then verbal. I also get extremely bothered when some one usually white in these cases makes a big deal about how black people talk. It's annoying because I hear them, and realize that they as well don't speak "correct English" just because it's a different dialect, doesn't mean its "incorrect"*. Languages take on a natural progression, taking on and removing things that the general culture adds or subtracts.

*Although, the "you gots" and the "I is" and phrases like that associated with "Ebonics" (that always makes me shudder) pisses off educated black people too, and no that is not Ebonics or AAVE. But hilly billies with their "Idears" and their "Iracks" Is equally insulting and annoying. "Ideas" and "Iraq". Refer to Jeff Foxworthy's Red neck words for further clarification. "Witchadidcha" is my personal favorite "With you, did you".

No IDGAF option?

LEARN HOW TO CREATE GOOD POLLS.

CrossLOPER:
Where is the IDGAF option?

My bad buddy, inb4 me.

In a nutshell, I'm a heterosexual black male who would be willing to date an attractive girl of any race except his own, due to complete lack of sexual attraction to them and unwillingness to conform to racial stereotypes.

At the risk of sounding racist here, white women seem to have more variety, in terms of hair colour, hairstyles, appearance, etc. I've rarely found a black women attractive; it could be because of my insecurities about my own race, that they may remind me of some of my family members, that they don't fit the influential media's ideal of beauty, or I just happen to not like their features. Asian women are fine, although some Oriental women tend to look a bit plain. And, to me, Latino/Hispanic women basically look like white women, just maybe a bit tanned/bronze.

But even aside from that, just going by probability, I'll likely end up with a white woman because they're the worldwide majority.

disgruntledgamer:
Recently I was asked if I like a certain "ethnic group(Indian)" of girl. My initial reaction was sure why not, but I thought about it after and while and while I would probably not object to a casual relationship or to the bedroom, I can't see myself in a long term relationship with a different ethnic group. A fling is one thing, but taking someone down the aisle is a whole new ball game.

It might sound petty, but if you were to construct an ideal mate most people wouldn't be flipping a coin when choosing skin colour. Oh and for the nerds, no fantasy races don't count.

Edit: I'm using the adjective definition of ethnicity so it applies to race, just to clear this up as apparently there was confusion. Even tho technically race when referring to humans is really a cultural, political and economic concept in society, and it is not a biological concept.

i.e. Caucasian, Asian, Black, Hispanic etc.

Well, firstly, your poll makes absolutely no sense.

From a sociological or biological perspective there is absolutely no such thing as race or ethnicity. The genetic differences between, say, a black male living in Nigeria and myself are less then, purely for example, me and a random Scottish gent or an Indian bloke. Ya see, Race/Ethnicity are sociological constructs. And if you ignore their existence (Which is one answer to racism according to certain schools of thought) they will disappear.

So... I am dating a human. So someone of the same race!

They are also white, which I guess fits in with your poll. Yet I still contest that the poll itself is flawed and the question makes no sense whatsoever. Whilst still making perfect sense and everybody understanding exactly what you mean.

Academia is FUN.

Uh, none of the above?

Ethnicity has never been a factor either way for me.

Relish in Chaos:

But even aside from that, just going by probability, I'll likely end up with a white woman because they're the worldwide majority.

What you talkin bout Willis? Caucasian women have likely some of the smaller numbers worldwide. In Europe or in North America and maybe Australia they are the majority sure but outside these areas not so much XD.

I cannot vote, since ethnicity or race or whatever really doesn't matter to me.
Most likely because I'm a lonely and cynical bastard.

I prefer women in my ethnicity, but quite honestly I don't care about race really.

I wish you had included a middle ground option so I could choose that. I am not very partial towards a particular ethnicity. I will gladly be with anyone who would take me so long as I they don't repulse me in looks or behavior, and sharing interests would also be quite useful deciding factor as I tend to become more attracted towards those who share my interests even if I didn't find them particularly attractive before. Although I would go for any ethnicity, I would have to say that I am a lot less likely to date in my ethnicity, being a Black American as most other Black Americans I meet tend to be the annoying kind of person that the media portrays them as, which is sad. That's not to say that I never meet other Black Americans who don't fall into that stereotyping, but in my experience, they tend to be fairly rare, so although I don't have a problem with dating Black Americans, I am significantly less likely to date them just because I rarely meet any that I like.

Gosh that was an interesting think I just had to have.

I only ever dated in my ethnicity, if you can call it that (though my girlfriend is from another country.. but I guess the ethicity is "white european" or something? Caucasian? I actually don't know). Now. I never actually thought about this. But based on the social economic background I have, where I grew up etc... I tend not to meet that ethnically diverse people.

In 13 years of school education and now almost 4 years of university, I met...

*a dozen people from either the large swap of arabia or turkey (2 female)
*one chinese girl
*one black kid in grade school

and that's it. I SEE lots of different ethnicities (I was born in Berlin, Germany, go figure) but I never actually meet them, just cross them on the street..

So I only dated inside my ethnicity. Not by any conscious preference, but default.

That IS food for thought, so thanks, OP.

Though only hypothetically, because i'm very much in love. :)

Esotera:
I'm more attracted to white girls than any other skin colour, as I live in a very homogenous area and it's quite rare to see anyone who isn't white. As long as their skin isn't tanned orange...

That's fair enough.

I'd say I'm usually more likely to find a white woman attractive. That isn't to say I've never found black or asian women attractive, I'm just talking probability.

As such, gun to my head, ask me to imagine my future wife, she's white in the mental image. But if it so happens that the girl I decide to pop the question to isn't white, then fair enough.

Also, I think there's a little more variety to white women. Genetically speaking, black or asian women tend to have darker hair colours, whereas white women have the whole blonde/redhead thing too.

Although I usually prefer brunettes over blondes, but still.

Point is, I'm not going to turn to my ethnically diverse girl of x amount of years and say 'fuck off, I'm not marrying a [insert relevant racial slur here]!'

Mr F.:

disgruntledgamer:
Recently I was asked if I like a certain "ethnic group(Indian)" of girl. My initial reaction was sure why not, but I thought about it after and while and while I would probably not object to a casual relationship or to the bedroom, I can't see myself in a long term relationship with a different ethnic group. A fling is one thing, but taking someone down the aisle is a whole new ball game.

It might sound petty, but if you were to construct an ideal mate most people wouldn't be flipping a coin when choosing skin colour. Oh and for the nerds, no fantasy races don't count.

Edit: I'm using the adjective definition of ethnicity so it applies to race, just to clear this up as apparently there was confusion. Even tho technically race when referring to humans is really a cultural, political and economic concept in society, and it is not a biological concept.

i.e. Caucasian, Asian, Black, Hispanic etc.

Well, firstly, your poll makes absolutely no sense.

From a sociological or biological perspective there is absolutely no such thing as race or ethnicity. The genetic differences between, say, a black male living in Nigeria and myself are less then, purely for example, me and a random Scottish gent or an Indian bloke. Ya see, Race/Ethnicity are sociological constructs. And if you ignore their existence (Which is one answer to racism according to certain schools of thought) they will disappear.

So... I am dating a human. So someone of the same race!

They are also white, which I guess fits in with your poll. Yet I still contest that the poll itself is flawed and the question makes no sense whatsoever. Whilst still making perfect sense and everybody understanding exactly what you mean.

Academia is FUN.

Self gratifying pendanticism cloaked as pseudo-intellectualism is fun :D

(I don't mean that in a mean way, but come on. 'Just ignore them?')

OT: Honestly, I've found women from all the races attractive at one time or another and I wouldn't have a problem having a relationship with any of them :D

A beautiful woman is beautiful woman, regardless of skin colour.

A certain preference for women of my own race won't stop me from tapping a fine ass if I see one.

Daystar Clarion:
OT: Honestly, I've found women from all the races attractive at one time or another and I wouldn't have a problem having a relationship with any of them :D

You Brits will stick your flag in anything won't you? :P

DVS BSTrD:
A certain preference for women of my own race won't stop me from tapping a fine ass if I see one.

Daystar Clarion:

You Brits will stick your flag in anything won't you? :P

Of course.

How else do you expect to build a globe spanning empire?

Diplomacy?

Don't be silly.

disgruntledgamer:

Lionsfan:

So you're asking what year my book was printed (2011 by the way), and you're giving me sources that are 14, 14, and 10 years old?

Second, you shouldn't be using the adjective definition of ethnicity, not for the question you're asking, grammatically it doesn't make sense. In general terms a noun is a person, place or thing, and you're question: "Dating inside or outside your Ethnicity?" is using ethnicity as a noun. So you can't use ethnicity as a noun in your question, and then decide to use the adjective definition.

The sources have not been refuted and they're many others out there "Race is a real cultural, political and economic concept in society, but it is not a biological concept," When referring to humans.

As I said I should of used a better term, but couldn't think of one so I used the adjective definition for ethnicity, since using race to describe different humans really rubs me the wrong way.

If it's that confusing for you and will make you feel better I'll edit the post and put a disclaimer explaining exactly what I mean. Happy?

Race in humans is a social construct but ethnicity has far more to do with culture then biology, if you want biological separation in humans use haplogroups not ethnic groups. Also you should have a no preference option, there are people who have no preference even when building the physically ideal mate, and where is the mixed option I know lots of people the prefer mixed over black/white/Asian.

I don't care about ethnicity. I care about the person. My boyfriend is black, my ex was white. It doesn't really factor into the equation.

Where's the I don't care button, because, even though I wouldn't care anyway, I'm not really in a position to be picky (forever alone ect ect.).

But no, I don't, and if I did, I'd imagine my reasons would be the exact opposite of yours, who I'm sexually attracted to (which for some may depend on ethnicity, as lust is all superficial) isn't necessarily who I'd want to be in a relationship with, which depends on personality, which definitely does not depend on ethnicity.

While I suppose I do tend to prefer women of my own race as far as looks, if I really like a girl its not gonna be that huge of a deal.

As long as I'm interested in them, I'll probably date them. That said, I generally find myself more attracted to people of own ethnic and racial persuasion. I tend to think most people are generally more attracted to one race or another, whether they realize it or not. After all, if you you prefer certain facial characteristics over others, then you most likely prefer the race that more frequently displays said facial characteristics. I also think it would be rare for someone to find that they were never attracted to members of different races, as even among people of the same race, many different characteristics will present themselves. As for dating potential, the previous points about looks seem to, in my experience, apply to personality as well.

ehh, I'm not really given a lot of options, because I live in a pretty homogenous area, but if given choice, I generally prefer to go outside the ethnicy. White boys generally don't have very interesting cheekbones...I have a thing for cheekbones.

An unfortunate truth is there are a lot of people who let their race become something that defines their character and as such acts the way they are race is stereotyped as in society. Being white there aren't that many stereotypes put onto us about our character (except being bad at sports and dancing) and we make up the majority of the population in the States which makes us a more diverse group. However, just because lots of people from different races will act the way they are told to by society doesn't mean that the majority of them are not free thinkers and are unique people. So, I don't really care what your race is as long as it doesn't define who you are, its just that other races in this country see their race as more of a defining feature and as such there is a larger percentage of white people that I would date than percentages of other races. Some people will call that racist of me to say but when it comes down to it the fact that race influences a lot of people on how they act is a sad, unfortunate truth of humanity that most people pretend doesn't exist.

I've been in love with both girls with same and different ethnicity as me.
I just don't care. Race doesn't define you.

Ethnicity in itself has little effect on my (very small amount of) attraction to women, but there are certain races that have a tendency exhibit traits that I find sexually unattractive. Of course, there are exceptions, but I happen to think that the general facial structures of African, Indian and Middle Easter women are unattractive. I'm more attracted to the looks of East Asian (as in Japanese, Chinese and similar-appearing ethnicities) and Caucasian people. Everything else I'm indifferent to.

So, yeah, I guess it does have an effect, but it's less shallow than just a skin colour preference. That being said, a pretty girl is a pretty girl, regardless of ethnicity.

For the record, I've always pictured my dream girl as having Caucasian features, and I happen to be Caucasian.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here