Should this one note joke be put to rest?
Yes, it gave me a chuckle but only when Yahtzee said it
36.5% (163)
36.5% (163)
Yes, it sounds stupid and makes me think badly of anyone using it
18.8% (84)
18.8% (84)
No, Yahtzee said it and he's funny so saying it makes me funny
4.7% (21)
4.7% (21)
No, I like it
39.6% (177)
39.6% (177)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Spunkgargleweewee

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Kathinka:

GunsmithKitten:

YouKnowTheName:
I think it's a good word that accurately sums up the genre it's meant to. It's not showing disdain, but an immature and borderline offensive term used specifically to describe an immature and offensive genre, (or rather, an immature and offensive game, since everything that falls under that definition is basically a photocopy of COD with little new or relevant added).

Seriously, describe a few game genres to a non-gamer. Shooters, platformers, racers... spunkgargleweewee. Action games where you play a character with a gun, games based around jumping and physical challenges, games based around racing and being fastest... and games based around joining a fictionalised representation of possibly the biggest army in the world and fighting far weaker enemies designed to resemble real people but actually a patchwork of racist stereotypes designed to reflect the xenophobia and fears of a certain corner of society (who still often come off a sympathetic simply due to being far less well equipped than you and need to be characterised almost as cartoon villains to work as antagonists at all) and committing mass murder upon them on a regular basis with the best equipment in the world, usually completely unironically to a rock soundtrack and an undercurrent of "we're awesome" all designed specifically to appeal to people's power fantasies.

So yeah, I think classifying it as a sub-genre with a hugely immature title is entirely appropriate.

I didn't know that Russians were "far weaker" enemies. When did that happen?

at some point during the early 90s when russias military got cut down a bit. they did no longer need an army that could plow through europe like a lawnmower on crack, now they just needed one juuuust big enough so attacking russia wasn't worth it.

today, the u.s. has accumulated:

- twice the number of manpower reserves
- four times the strenght of aircraft
- about five times the helicopter strenght
- about 5-2 times the mbt strenght, according to who you ask
- and ten times the strenght in aircraft carriers

so yeah, all those scenarios where russia attacks america are a rather unrealistic jingoist gunwank revenge fantasy.

Though it's worth noting that the Russian Mafia is wealthier than us, politically untouchable, (it's bought entire banks. BOUGHT. BANKS.) and has purchased nuclear weapons. So maybe all they need to do is make them the villians instead of the Russian government proper?

GunsmithKitten:

Kathinka:

GunsmithKitten:

I didn't know that Russians were "far weaker" enemies. When did that happen?

at some point during the early 90s when russias military got cut down a bit. they did no longer need an army that could plow through europe like a lawnmower on crack, now they just needed one juuuust big enough so attacking russia wasn't worth it.

so yeah, all those scenarios where russia attacks america are a rather unrealistic jingoist gunwank revenge fantasy.

Though it's worth noting that the Russian Mafia is wealthier than us, politically untouchable, (it's bought entire banks. BOUGHT. BANKS.) and has purchased nuclear weapons. So maybe all they need to do is make them the villians instead of the Russian government proper?

iiiii don't think that thing about nuclear weapons is accurate. is there any non-tinfoilhat sources for that?

It should definitely be kept because it is perfect for describing those types of games. They are the jersey shore of the gaming world and need to identified as such.

I wouldn't advocate for its usage (don't care enough,) but my only problem with the word... it is cumbersome to type. I don't use it in conversation, but that's just because I only know a few people who might get the reference. I suspect it won't catch on anyway. It won't last, but then again neither will the genre. Tastes change and develop, games and styles come and go. Whether you call them MMS's or SGWW or Brownshooter or just shooter... they evolved from the Nazi blasting squad shooter that is considered kind of retro these days. A decade from now a CoD clone will be considered "a quaint throwback" and die hard fans of the MMS will come up with their own derisive name for whatever is popular and AAA at the moment and complain about how games were better back in the 00's.

Using the term is simply an expression of spite. Yes, it is crude. Yes, it is childish, but is anyone actually surprised people are angry that a genre has changed in a way that effectively killed off the quake style fps? If both styles of shooters where still being made I doubt there would be much complaint, but simply put your buying one of these newer style fps games causes publishers to pass on making new shooters in the style I and many others loved.

For better or worse many fps fans are in two camps that really just don't like each other. The one who's style of game they like is no longer made will simply keep taking pot shots. If you don't like this its probably best to ignore it taking pot shots back is a hell of a lot more likely to start a flame war then change anyone's behavior to be less hostile.

Like many other things, it's only funny when Yahtzee does it.

Kirov Reporting:
This term comes up really quite a lot around here, and quite honestly, I think it's puerile and foolish in the least entertaining way.

Yahtzee says a lot of funny and a lot of less-funny things, so how has this throwaway term been appropriated above all else, and seemingly parroted every time someone seeks to validate their dislike of a game style by invoking the apparently sacrosanct word of Croshaw?

Does the use of this term annoy you also, Escapists, or should I get back in my box?

this should sum everything up pretty nicely.

Whilst a lot of Yahtzee's jokes and use of idioms do make me laugh, this term never did it for me. It's obviously a personal term only applied once or twice to generate a little immature humor. Anyone else taking the term and applying it to something themselves, rather than just merely referring to the episodes it was used in, is an uncreative idiot.

slang and new words are created for a reason. I think as much as I wont be using it much myself, it describes game genres well

It's done. Put it away with "my Wii is gathering dust".

tippy2k2:
Oh I had a giant soap box I jumped onto when people started to use this term and they WEREN'T using it ironically (like PC Master Race).

Where oh where did I leave that...

Ah ah! Here is it (in a thread about "broadening" the term because the OP evidently thought that a stupid joke needed to be broadened):

tippy2k2:
No, this is the stupidest term that has ever attempted to break out of a ZP episode into "regular" talking; it needs to be eliminated completely, not broadened. The "term that does not even deserve to get mentioned" is a term used by people who want to look down on modern FPS's but don't want to sound like they're an anti-fanboy. This term is the most ridiculous crap I've ever heard.

I love quoting myself. It's like forum masturbation :)

Stop that, you'll go blind...

But I believe I agreed with you in that thread also, so I agree with you in this thread too.

It (not even giving it the benefit of being typed) was a one time thing that Yahtzee may use every now and again. Its nothing more, and the massive use of the phrase by people is really fucking annoying... almost as much as the fact that whenever something happens (ME3, Feminists vs tropes, gun bans), the Escapist latch to it until the next big thing comes around.

*Edit*

Kathinka:
like a lawnmower on crack...

I cracked up at this, no I gotta use it in conversations...

I don't say it to other people I say it to myself when I see a game that fits the description of a "Spunkgargleweewee" game

Eg: hmm what am I in the mood of playing Uncharted...no BAttlefield 3? well I havent played a spunkgargleweewee game in a long time so... may as well
I personally like the term but it sounds silly in ordinary conversation

also Im not insane before you get that idea

Twilight_guy:
The use of the term annoys me. It causes the same sensation that using the term 'ass creed' does for me. I instantly loss any respect for the person, see them as the kind of Yahtzee zealots that get banned on his video's every week and ignore them completely.

Ass creed is simply a shortening of Assassins creed or at least thats what I use it for so why does the use of this term annoy you (Also Assassin is tedious to spell)

Yes please - put it to rest. I understand and appreciate the distain Call of Duty has inspired among the forum faithful...but the term always came across as being pretty juvenile. Honestly, I expect a higher-quality level of snark from Mr. Croshaw than that.

Little triple-cu...wait. Nevermind.

Ahem.

So yes, let's get rid of that one and move on. Water under the bridge and all that.

Nope. I like it. If it pisses you off, GOOD! It's meant to. I'm so fucking sick of hearing about COD every year and all the absolute garbage that copy's it, but when I hear SGWW it makes me smile. A gross immature name for a gross immature genre. A parody for every thing those games stand for, because you gargle that shit.

I'll tell you what, when Activision stops getting away with it, then the term should go out the window. Until then, I really don't care any more. The fact they can make so much money of the same game over and over is the real problem. Complaining about this term is the only silly thing I see, especially when I hardly see any one use it. I haven't even had the chance to use it yet!

Where's my 'I don't mind either way, it's just a bloody word' option?

Kathinka:

GunsmithKitten:

Kathinka:

iiiii don't think that thing about nuclear weapons is accurate. is there any non-tinfoilhat sources for that?

It's actually more likely than you think. I don't know if the Russian Mafia is specifically involved, but decommissioned Soviet era nuclear materials have a notorious tendency to, er, fall off the truck on the way to being dismantled. I think if the Russian Mafia is involved (and let's face it, they'd be bad businessmen if they weren't controlling this trade), though, it's more likely that they're the ones selling the stolen material than the ones buying it.

http://www.cfr.org/weapons-of-terrorism/loose-nukes/p9549

Tom_green_day:
I'm going to mention something I've noticed happening alot recently on the internet.
When 'famous' internet people make videos/write stuff etc, in the comment section every adopts their lexis...

That's not the Internet. That's just how language works. All language is, is a sufficiently large and propagated meme that it can be imagined to have been standardized.

It's a daft term used by daft people who want to feel clever by copying Yahtzee.

So yeah, I'd wish it would stop, but I don't see it happening any time soon unfortunately.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Kathinka:

GunsmithKitten:

It's actually more likely than you think. I don't know if the Russian Mafia is specifically involved, but decommissioned Soviet era nuclear materials have a notorious tendency to, er, fall off the truck on the way to being dismantled. I think if the Russian Mafia is involved (and let's face it, they'd be bad businessmen if they weren't controlling this trade), though, it's more likely that they're the ones selling the stolen material than the ones buying it.

http://www.cfr.org/weapons-of-terrorism/loose-nukes/p9549

oh there is no doubt that security is often very lackluster, and that important material connected to nuclear research and such was stolen before. but the claim that actual nuclear weaponry has been bought or stolen is just absurd.

I view it like this:

When Yahtzee used the term, I really didn't care either way. I don't have a vested interest in these games (I enjoy the local multiplayer for BLOPS 2 with my friends, which indecently is what we did a lot for Christmas break) so I wasn't particular hurt when he said it. I did think that, if anything else, it was going for the low-hanging fruit and wasn't particularly funny. Like any term though, it can wear it's welcome if used too much. The problem I have is that it wasn't even that it was being overused in his videos (which it sort of was), it was that everyone just latched onto the term and overused it for him.

Now if I see someone use it, I actually lose respect for them and treat the rest of their argument with less respect. It's one thing to simply copy a term rather than to come up with something yourself, it's another to go for a term that wasn't even that funny. It makes me think that the person has no real though except to parrot what they've heard, thinking that it makes them as "edgy" or "witty" as Yahtzee.

Why can't we just accept that the games that these are used for are FPSs? What's the worst that can happen? That they might be associated with shooters that you like? Then just call these games that you don't like "Bad Shooters", not this hipster/anti-maintstream bullshit that just makes you come across as insecure. God forbid that we describe games in a genre you like as being "bad", instead let's just single them out into a single genre. Yeah, that will show them, "These games weren't bad FPSs, they're spunkgargleweewee games! They're totally different, and totally more shit! Can't you tell by their name how shitty they are compared to other games? You know what, these aren't even games, because that would give other games a bad name!"

Kirov Reporting:
This term comes up really quite a lot around here, and quite honestly, I think it's puerile and foolish in the least entertaining way.

Just like the games it describes.

tippy2k2:
Oh I had a giant soap box I jumped onto when people started to use this term and they WEREN'T using it ironically (like PC Master Race).

I still can't believe people missed that.

My operating theory is that Yahtzee says some of these things to see how many people will parrot him in saying some really stupid things. Spunkgargleweewee is definitely one of those.

To echo some of the other people here, it doesn't bother me, and I don't especially enjoy it, and have never used it on a forum or any other place. I don't really play COD or any of it's siblings in the FPG genre, I much prefer strategy games.

But again echoing other people on here, Modern Military Shooter seems like the best title for them. And it makes sense to have the label for that type of game, look at RPG's, they come in JRPG flavour as well. MMS could be a sub genre of FPS. Maybe even MMFPS? Who knows. But still, I chose to vote 'No, I like it' because there wasn't a 'I honestly couldn't care less.' option.

shrekfan246:

I actually feel bad for the people on this forum that like Call of Duty or Battlefield, because to see the reaction this community has to those games, those people must feel like they'd be crucified if they ever admitted to enjoying them.

Eh, it's not that bad. I actually really like the term 'Spunkgargleweewee' whenever I see forumites use it now - it lets me know who hasn't actually played the game and is just parroting what they heard from the internets. :D

Uh, y'all realize the term is kinda sexist / homophobic, right? The "spunkgargle" part. As in, gargling spunk - it's implied to be a bad thing. Like "cocksucker". Yeah, it's one of the dumbest phrases I've ever heard. Awkward to speak, think, or type. You really should stop using it.

There was a need to differentiate this kind of games from regular shooters. Yahtzee coined a term and it sticked so it's used. And frankly I find it quite appropriate. Because calling it modern military shooters is an insult to other modern military shooters (such as older Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon games).

If you have a better name for this genre (it's not even a subgenre, it's a different sort of entertainment altogether), why not suggest one?

I think the real mature thing to do would be to invent a new word to take it's place.

...A better word. A longer word. Less juvenile; less peurile; less infantilizing. A word that puts the ol' sweat on the monocle. A word that makes you look smart and feel smart without actually having to be smart. A word for the glory, for the splendour, for the ages and for all time. A word that ends with "tion", and maybe starts with "re". Effeminate but strong. Rolls off the tongue, but twists it just enough. No g's or z's allowed. Ugly letterz. Fuck them. A golden word that glistens and shimmers while exploding and exciting all at once. A platinum word that gives the ladies erections and makes the boys wet. A diamond word that thousands of teenagers will be naming their shitty bands (that they think sounds like Pantera but actually sounds like Three Doors Down), and misusing in high-school essays for decades to come. A word that we can imagine James Bond secretly uses, when the camera is off lest we learn the truth, to win every beautiful woman's heart and escape every terrifying villain's grip. A word that goes down easy but boils the blood. Smells like roses, but stings like a bee. Dances like a buttefly, but stings like a ...scorpion. A word that unites in awe, while dividing in caste. A word that pushes society forward and paves the way to a universally agreed upon pecking order, decided directly by He who is I AM using only this one word, His gift to us, whose properness of use displays, in purest form, the quality of mind and integrity of soul of the user. For the ages and for all time, but mainly for us, the people. You, the special individual. The tapestry. The snowflake. The word is empty without you. So fill it. Fill it with you. All the you you have.

...Okay, guys, here's my try:

Are you ready for this? Okay, sit down. ahem:

Restackidornassifuquation

[falls on face]
[shits self]

To be specific, note the difference:

What I think a Modern Military Shooter is: Arma II; Operation Flashpoint; Ghost Recon

SGW is: COD MW2/3; Battlefield BC and beyond; MOH

SGW, but better: COD4, BLOPS

Also SGW-like: GOW, Bulletstorm

Something else: Spec Ops

In other words, call SGW however you want, but it's a different thing from a modern military shooter. Why should 'modern' imply 'almost retarded' and 'military' also 'almost retarded'?

BTW I do like the 'SGW, but better', but it definitely needs a specific name.

Suggest one if you know better!

Callate:
I think the better question might be: "Is your irritation with the phrase directly proportional to the amount of enjoyment you get out of the games it describes?"

It doesn't bother me, but I'm also in the camp that thinks its ilk becoming the workhorses of the biggest video game companies is a net negative for both the medium and the industry, so I might be biased.

Totally behind this guy; he knows what he's talking about.

It's probably not the phrase itself that bothers you, OP person, but the games it is ascribed to. Personally I think get way too emotional about things like that - minutia, that really bears no significance what so ever

I prefer to call them gun porn games. I think the term is funny when Yahtzee says it, but YOU'RE NOT YAHTZEE, people! I don't call gun porn games "spunkgargleweewee" (even though I share much of Yahtzee's opinion on them) in the same way I don't call stylized hack-and-slashers "spectacle fighters". These terms work in the context of his show, bit aren't descriptive enough for coomon parlance.

I don't really like games like CoD anymore, but I do find the term insulting. I'm not even one of those people who is looking to turn everything PC as it were, but I'm also not one to purposefully make fun of them for their taste in entertainment. I don't really like Final Fantasy and think the games (admittedly I've only played 10,10-2,and 13) silly and poorly written but a friend of my really likes them. Should I call the series an insulting term because I don't like it? Yahtzee did it because he is, for better or worse, and insult comic that reviews video game and did it for comedic purposes. When I see other people use it, it comes off more as insulting the games fanbase than the games themselves and find that very distasteful. I see no real point in making fun of peoples choices in what kind of games they play. I can understand analyzing the story or other feature and saying it's bad but the term "Spunkgargleweewee" comes of as actively trying to shame people who don't like the same things as you do. That's why I don't like the term.

Pat8u:

Twilight_guy:
The use of the term annoys me. It causes the same sensation that using the term 'ass creed' does for me. I instantly loss any respect for the person, see them as the kind of Yahtzee zealots that get banned on his video's every week and ignore them completely.

Ass creed is simply a shortening of Assassins creed or at least thats what I use it for so why does the use of this term annoy you (Also Assassin is tedious to spell)

Because it only become a thing after Yahtzee used it and I've only ever ever seen it used on this site. In addition, a proper shortening of the game is not to remove a few syllables but to using an acronym, such as AC 2, AC 3, AC:R etc. or to use a certain key word in place of the name, such as Creed: Revolutions, Creed 3. That's how ever other game in existence has it's named shortened. An usual name abbreviation combined with its tendency to only be used here and its chronological correlation to Yahtzee heavily implies Yahtzee drones. What's more is that Yahtzee drones don't know they are Yahtzee drones due to their own delusions and wouldn't even recognize their irrational behavior. Watch yourself.

Personally, I think it's like TV tropes: Fun to use among those who get what it means, but not worth explaining to outsiders. If I'm talking to a friend who doesn't use The Escapist, I won't bother using the term. I think it's also important that we both feel the same way about said genre before I whip it out.

In one Game Grumps episode, Egoraptor mentioned how whenever Mike (Mattei?) does something James Rolfe (AKA AVGN) does, it's never as funny. Same basic principle. "Spunkgargleweewee" was just a silly joke that Yahtzee came up with. That's it. Can we PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE stop talking about it?!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked