57.4% (148)
Maybe after a couple of drinks.
23.6% (61)
23.6% (61)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Completely butt-naked

Pages PREV 1 2

MorganL4:
What about when a guy finds a girl attractive.... There is a biological reaction that occurs...

What about when a guy finds a guy attractive? Thats more likely to be awkward methinx...

MorganL4:
What about when a guy finds a girl attractive.... There is a biological reaction that occurs...

I'd assume that would be a good thing a lot of the time, for those guys whom don't have the balls to tell a girl how they feel...

On topic:

While I wouldn't mind being naked all the time (Even in Britain where it's raining even when it's not) in the sense that I'm comfortable with the way I look and don't mind extreme cold with little clothing (I always wear jeans and a t-shirt, even when there's over 5 inches of snow and everything's icy)

What I would have a problem with is the lack of pockets on my natural body. I already struggle with enough pockets to carry around all the stuff I need to the point I have a jacket tied around my waist purely for the additional 2-4 pockets.

Hahahahhahah hahahahha hahah haha....
I live in CANADA!
I get cold in the SUMMER!
I am extremely pasty and don't fancy skin cancer!

To put it politely; no, no thank you.

So yeah, I think we're all in agreement that this is a terrible idea.

SkarKrow:

lacktheknack:
"Weather is not an issue"? Weather is a hell of an issue to not factor in!

Ah, I see you're from the UK.

Even if I could ignore the -40 weather, no. Clothes are nice.

Pfft the weather here in the UK is pathetic. People get bent out of shape over half an inch of snow for a day. I went to Switzerland and there was 4 feet of it on everything and I swear no fuck was given at any point by anyone.

And I maintained my two layers only policy >_O

Two layers is definitely the maximum. I sometimes go with one layer because I am of Viking blood.

lacktheknack:

SkarKrow:

lacktheknack:
"Weather is not an issue"? Weather is a hell of an issue to not factor in!

Ah, I see you're from the UK.

Even if I could ignore the -40 weather, no. Clothes are nice.

Pfft the weather here in the UK is pathetic. People get bent out of shape over half an inch of snow for a day. I went to Switzerland and there was 4 feet of it on everything and I swear no fuck was given at any point by anyone.

And I maintained my two layers only policy >_O

Two layers is definitely the maximum. I sometimes go with one layer because I am of Viking blood.

I'm part Viking part Highlander. Even when I feel the chilling blade of -40 temperatures my pride does not allow me to put on an overcoat.

That would be surrendering to the frost spirits after all.

NinjaDeathSlap:
It depends. Is this something that was just enforced today on a bunch of people who are accustomed to wearing clothes? If this is the case, then I think it would be a nightmare.

On the other hand, if we're talking about a hypothetical society where everyone has grown up naked, surrounded by naked people, where public nudity is seen as the norm, then I guess you just wouldn't notice anything being amiss, so it would be ok.

I have to agree with Mr. DeathSlap, here. If you were to suggest that everyone in the world strip down tomorrow, I would say no. In fact, I would shout 'hell no' rather vehemently, and probably let the government goon squad forcing people to strip at gunpoint just shoot me. I have no problem with being naked. I would, however, have a problem suddenly being expected to have no problem with being naked in front of everyone.

If, on the other hand, you are suggesting that a hypothetical society might exist where everyone is raised to see nakedness as the norm, (and let's assume that either a.)humans in colder climates had adapted to the cold so that being in it naked was no problem, or b.)somehow the global climate sat at a universally balmy temperature with no ecological repercussions), I would have no problem living in that society. In fact, if you were to give me the option of potentially jumping from this society to that one, on an experimental basis, I might just do it, to see what it would be like. Everyone naked, all the time? I'm curious to see if such a society would have developed differently than our own.

But, again, if a universal law were passed tomorrow, I would die. Both figuratively and literally.

Also, bonus question: I don't have a pet, but my hypothetical pet is a kangaroo. I'm not letting a hypothetical kangaroo die just to save the hypothetical life of a hypothetical naked stranger, whom, hypothetically, of course, I have no relationship with.

Kangaroos are awesome. Hypothetical or otherwise.

(Has the word hypothetical lost all meaning to you, yet?

hypothetical

hypothetical [hpə théttik'l]
or hypothetic [hpə théttik]
adj
assumed for sake of argument: assumed or proposed for further investigation
The question is purely hypothetical.
-hypothetically, , adv

How about now?)

No.

First, while I'm not into fashion, I do like wearing clothes. I also like pockets. It's like what Jerrry Seinfeld said, "We're always making adjustments. All of a sudden you're naked and there's nothing to really do"

Second, I just like my privacy. I'd rather not be forced to strip so that others can see me naked. Plus, I wouldn't want to put that punishment on them.

Third, just plain sanitary man. If I'm on the bus I don't want to a) think of who the last person sitting where I'm sitting was, and b) be touching or feeling several sweaty/hairy people (also, I wouldn't put that punishment on anyone)

Fourth...I live in Toronto, and we just got a major snowstorm with at 36 cms of snow. There's no fucking way I'm going to walk out in the nude in those conditions.

Eri:

Jamash:

Birth rates would probably fall as more people caught STDs and similar, sterilizing infections from non-sexual acts like sitting on a public surface.

There has never been a proven case of someone catching an STI from touching a toilet seat etc. with their bare bum.

A society in which clothes are banned poses far greater risks that touching an occasional toilet seat with your bare buttocks.

Think about public transport and those solid, plasticity-vinyl seats. If everyone is naked, then their genitals will be touching and rubbing against those seats.

Would you be comfortable rubbing your genitals against a fomite that's also had the genitals of hundreds of other random people (including periodic women) rubbing against them?

Yopaz:

Jamash:

Birth rates would probably fall as more people caught STDs and similar, sterilising infections from non-sexual acts like sitting on a public surface.

Glad you brought this up. Do you know that some heavy duty work gloves could have prevented HIV?

Are you talking about the guy who was butchering a monkey carcass for consumption, but accidentally cut his finger with the knife, which is believed to be the first transmission of primate blood and the Simian immunodeficiency virus into a human, which in turn mutated into HIV?

Jamash:

Yopaz:

Jamash:

Birth rates would probably fall as more people caught STDs and similar, sterilising infections from non-sexual acts like sitting on a public surface.

Glad you brought this up. Do you know that some heavy duty work gloves could have prevented HIV?

Are you talking about the guy who was butchering a monkey carcass for consumption, but accidentally cut his finger with the knife, which is believed to be the first transmission of primate blood and the Simian immunodeficiency virus into a human, which in turn mutated into HIV?

Yeah, though I was referring more to how many times it may have possibly occurred during the hunting since they got multiple scrapes while doing so which leaves dozens of possible origins, but basically what you said. Exposed skin is more vulnerable thus there's an increased risk for catching and spreading blood born diseases.

Sexually transmitted diseases.

Also we wear clothes to be WARM

Jubbert:

Don't be too sure - only about 60% of people have said no, 15% have said a definite yes, and 25% just need a bit of alcohol in them before they're ready to strip off and become naked fanatics.

OT: If the Scots can wear kilts in the freezing latitudes of the highlands, then the rest of us can bloody well strip off wherever we live. I am ashamed of all of those who say they wouldn't be able to handle it.

Esotera:
"weather is not an issue." "and it does get quite chilly here in the UK."

What do you mean by weather is not an issue? I imagined like 70-80 degrees in the springtime all-the-time.
Does this also mean we can't go under the covers? What if we decide to stay at home more often because of this? Would we be "Wearing our houses"? [cross]What if get a boner?[/cross] I couldn't live in a world like that thinking of all the technical stuff.

Totally naked?

So, bras are banned? Support for breasts is outlawed?

Does this include panty liners and menstrual pads (ok, not technically lining any panties, but you know what I mean)?

What about shoes, the ground is hot/hard? If you don't have clothes, you don't have pockets, where do you keep things? And no, that wasn't the lead in to a dirty joke.

I can't live without my hats or pockets, and lack of STD/STI's, so I'm going to with naw, clothes are cool.

nooooooo no no no Family Gatherings would be a special kind of torture plus naked old people eeeew

I literally see no way that this could be even remotely good. Your examples are bullshit. Being naked all the time would NOT increase people's self esteem, it would reduce it. And how the hell would being naked all the time be HEALTHIER? This is just plain stupid.
Edit:

Esotera:

Jubbert:

Don't be too sure - only about 60% of people have said no, 15% have said a definite yes, and 25% just need a bit of alcohol in them before they're ready to strip off and become naked fanatics.

OT: If the Scots can wear kilts in the freezing latitudes of the highlands, then the rest of us can bloody well strip off wherever we live. I am ashamed of all of those who say they wouldn't be able to handle it.

You do know some people have problems with the cold? Have you ever felt like your bones were being dissolved from the cold? Do you feel like your fingers are being burned off when you take something out of the refrigerator or wash your hands in cold water? No? Then shut the fuck up.
I'd rather go on a fucking stabbing or shooting rampage instead of living on this stupid theoretical society.
And I'm not sure you knew this, but there are NASTY things out there. Think of sitting in a dirty public bus naked. Think of sitting on a bench outside naked.

All the time??
No thanks, I like being naked and in just my underwear at home but all the time everywhere??!! No thanks
Think of all the diseases I'll catch -.-

it is too cold to have to live butt naked. I think people came up with clothes for a reason.
However i would reconsider if I can live in a glass house that is the perfect temperature/ UV/ moisture.
That, or I become as furry as my dog so that I dont feel cold.

a society of nakedness, sign me up. it would defently shake things up.. but i wont step out side if its cold.

SkarKrow:

MorganL4:

What about when a guy finds a guy attractive? Thats more likely to be awkward methinx...

Nah, In that case you can solve the dispute with the age old ritual of penis fencing.

OT: Yeah, I'd go for it.

Well.

That would be one way to stop the obesity epidemic in it's tracks like a sawed-off shotgun blast to the face.

People will be cold and embarrassed for a generation, that's about it. We have developed an unnatural obsession with our bodies, sexuality and nudity in our culture. After a generation of people who were raised to be embarrassed about their bodies are gone then walking around naked wouldn't be a issue.

Seeing people naked is something that we turned into a big deal, but it doesn't need to be. In the OP's scenario the expected awkwardness of the nude society would only last a generation. Although we'd still need to deal with the issue of the temperature and sun burns.

You see something often enough, it becomes mundane. I assume sex crime would decrease, if only a little bit.

And hygiene would be more important. Because otherwise people will know.

A Weakgeek:

SkarKrow:

MorganL4:

Nah, In that case you can solve the dispute with the age old ritual of penis fencing.

Ah penis fencing, the traditional dispute settling method of the Bonobo or pygmy chimp....

SkarKrow:

A Weakgeek:

SkarKrow:

Ah penis fencing, the traditional dispute settling method of the Bonobo or pygmy chimp....

*Goes to check*

Oh. Yeah, I totally knew that was a real thing, along with... rump rubbing? Mother nature, you so crazeeh.

Captcha: Know your rights

Yeah you better if your going to do some penis fencing.

I'd rather not. The only positive to this I can see is the chance to always see some good looking woman naked everytime you walk out the door. But out there, there is a hell of a lot of hideous human beings as well. Yeah, no thanks.

If everything goes pancake shaped and people are forced to walk around butt naked, you'd get these secret societies where man and woman sit fully dressed in a circle discussing the latest fashion trends of 2010.
And a major boom in the tattoo business, humans want to stand out. If this can't be done with clothes, hell, ink is the way to go.

captchas is being rude:
half inch

Uh...no?

Mostly due to the fact that I like clothes, clothes are cool!

Also, there are some people we just don't want to see naked...

dmase:
If it was a constant 85(degrees Fahrenheit) with a breeze and no rain i'd be fine with being nude constantly. Of course that presents the problem of not raining... goodbye life as we know it.

In my opinion I think we would become a hyper-sexualized society with very little monogamy. While culture does tend affect our perception of beauty we are still attracted to the naked human body because we are humans and this of course leads to sex. More nudity more sex and sense all shame would be gone casual sexual relationships would probably be the norm.

Don't think rain would be that bad to be honest...

I think rain would actually be easier to deal with if you're naked. It's way more annoying when you're wearing none nylon clothes as then the rain makes your clothes heavy and stick to you. Really uncomfortable.

At least if you're naked it's just like taking a shower.

OT: Also, if everyone was naked 24/7. What do people who "imagine the audience in their underwear" do?

Maybe. But not in the United States.

Unless they confine all the fatties to their homes, then it would be far too unpleasant for everyone else.

Nope, I'd stay indoors.

I'd also do all my shopping online, and find a way to work from home. Or starve and die.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here