So Fox bought the rights to a Magic The Gathering Movie...

Pages PREV 1 2

Love the idea, just due to some of the books being amazing and they have a megaton of lore to potentially draw from. I'm assuming it will be about the planeswalkers we've come to know and love/hate that still reside in the current game. Yet, I would love to see a standalone story that doesn't jump right away into planeswalking and the full multiverse.

I can't be the only one thinking that even if the movie is a blockbuster/bomb, REALLY hoping that the DVD/Blu-ray release comes with a promo card... Don't even care if it's all kinds of crap, just want that to happen. Kind of like those older books that had a free promo, which I jumped on. Also, fairly good books.

If they show the monsters suffering from 'summoning sickness', I'll watch it.

BARADOK:
Urza saga, without a doubt. Best characters, best setting, multiple deck series. Basically the most important set in the game. If you aren't old enough to have played during the Urza days, get some play time in with these cards and you will see some amazing things happen.

I only joined a couple years ago so I missed all of that. And even then I think this is by far the best way to go with it. Especially since I know that if they don't it will be 2 hours of everyone being in awe of how awesome that Jace guy is.

Not to mention the story of the rise of Phyrexia would be pretty damn interesting to watch. I'm putting pretty low odds that they'll do anything besides Jace and friends, but if they do then it could actually be a really good movie.

Sarah Kerrigan:

David Tenant (Doctor Who) as Venser

Or Mark Meer. Not much a fan of his voice work, but the resemblance is uncanny

I actually think this is one property that has so much lore, back stories and characters that it could easily span into an entertaining series.

Also, Benedict Cumberbatch as Jace Beleren.

I never had high hopes to begin with, video game movies are almost universally terrible, shit quick cash ins that slap a franchise name on the movie in the hopes of making a quick buck, so yeah I don't really care, especially since MTG has little to no story anyway

If I remember right there is a book series base of the old MtG decks. *search*
Yes, indeed. A lot of them actually.
They can easily adapt a old book and make it to a film.
Now if these books are good, I don't know that.
Can someone say something about the books?

Sounds like a hilarious disaster waiting to happen, personally.
I've seen modern films inspired by Hasbro products (why yes, Hasbro does own Wizards of the Coast).
They do not end well.

It'd be especially great if they did the Urza-Weatherlight Saga, which was just Magic's equivalent of Star Trek.
(the crew bopping around from location to location in search of adventure, until the Borg Phyrexia attacks.)

Ravnica would be my second choice, but they would need someone who knows how to write political intrigue to best present the internal conflict between the guilds. And I know damn well that requirement alone is impossible for Fox (or any Hasbro film).

SweetShark:
If I remember right there is a book series base of the old MtG decks. *search*
Yes, indeed. A lot of them actually.
They can easily adapt a old book and make it to a film.
Now if these books are good, I don't know that.
Can someone say something about the books?

I have read the old Ravnica books, and a few based on the 2012 planeswalkers. They are good (the Ravnica ones more so) but I think it would be smart of them to go by the books, yeah.

this will almost certainly tie in with ablock they will release at the same time. probably a new one or one that has'nt been fleshed out (like shandalar). this way they won't have to explain the backround to people unfamiliar with the lore.
as much as the weatherlight saga would make a good trilogy i highly doubt they would use it (unless they revisit it with new mechanics like time spiral) but I doubt they will revisit anything else.

BQE:
David Tenant (Doctor Who) as Venser

i did not relize how much i needed to see this until you said it. now i'm said he's dead.

Weaver:
Benedict Cumberbatch as Jace Beleren.

an excellent fit he can do smug quite well

I do think magic would be better suited to a tv show though. they could base it in one plane for each season with perspective shifting between characters every episode.

It sounds cool. But it could also go either way. It could be a really awesome movie, but there is an equal chance it could turn out very badly.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked