Riddle time!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

There was a temple once and in the temple, three statues stood in a line next to each other. They were magical statues, each represented a god. One was the god of truth, the other the god of lies and the third the god of diplomacy. The trouble was, that nobody knew which was which.

Each visitor in the temple could ask them a question each. The god of truth only answered the truth, the god of lies only told lies and the god of diplomacy sometimes lied and sometimes told the truth.

One day, a man walked in and asked the left statue "Who stands next to you?" "It is the god of lies", the statue answered. Then the man moved to the statue in the middle "Who are you?" he asked "I am the god of diplomacy" the answer came. He then went to the statue on the right "Who stands next to you?" he asked again, and the statue stated "It is the god of truth".

The man then smiled because he knew which statue is which and left.

my answer:

Left = Truth
Center = Lies
Right = Diplomacy

DoPo:

There is a cannon-ball that cannot be stopped once shot. It only moves forward and goes through walls and buildings with ease and will not stop its flight ever. There is also a pillar that can withstand any attack. It is indestructible and nothing can damage it or even move it.

What would happen if the unstoppable cannon-ball hits the unmovable pillar?

Yes, there is a correct answer you can give me.

Nothing happens. The existence of either one rules out the existence of the other.

DoPo:

cloudywolf13:

DoPo:

The first one is the God of Truth
The second one is the God of Lies
The third one is the God of Diplomacy

Yes, correct.

cloudywolf13:

DoPo:

But I'll give you another logic puzzle. This one is more interesting. Let's see who'd answer correctly first.

Presumably the cannon-ball would bounce off the pillar and remain moving while the pillar remains unmovable.

Ugh, I suppose that might work. I forgot to specify that it only moves forward. I'll go and edit it in now.

That being the case, I need to ask a few questions. Is it safe to assume that the cannon-ball is also indestructible? What is the pillar unmovable in relation to? Are we ignoring that the existence of one means that the other can't exist (let alone that neither can exist in the first place)?

Tallim:

DoPo:

There is a cannon-ball that cannot be stopped once shot. It only moves forward and goes through walls and buildings with ease and will not stop its flight ever. There is also a pillar that can withstand any attack. It is indestructible and nothing can damage it or even move it.

Nothing happens. The existence of either one rules out the existence of the other.

Well, yes, that is correct. Although, rather than "nothing happens" it's more correct to say "that's impossible".

DoPo:

Llil:
I can't think of more riddles at the moment, so here's a logic puzzle instead.

Three prisoners are tied to chairs and are facing each other. They all have a hat with a blue or red feather on it, and everyone can only see the feathers of the two other prisoners, not their own. They are told that at least one of them has a blue feather, and that the game is fair for all three of them. The prisoners are not allowed to talk to each other and the first one to announce their own colour correctly will be set free.

The prisoners sat there for a long while, and then one of them announced the answer. What did he say? (And for bonus points, how did he figure it out?)

Oh, fuck, I know that riddle. In fact, it's one of my favourites. I usually tell it with logic lecturers (captured by cannibals) to underline that they aren't guessing. I shall not reveal the answer, however. I'll let people fry.

But you reminded me of my other favourite riddle, I'll give it now.

There was a temple once and in the temple, three statues stood in a line next to each other. They were magical statues, each represented a god. One was the god of truth, the other the god of lies and the third the god of diplomacy. The trouble was, that nobody knew which was which.

Each visitor in the temple could ask them a question each. The god of truth only answered the truth, the god of lies only told lies and the god of diplomacy sometimes lied and sometimes told the truth.

One day, a man walked in and asked the left statue "Who stands next to you?" "It is the god of lies", the statue answered. Then the man moved to the statue in the middle "Who are you?" he asked "I am the god of diplomacy" the answer came. He then went to the statue on the right "Who stands next to you?" he asked again, and the statue stated "It is the god of truth".

This one is pretty fucking easy, though. I doubt many will have problems with it. Or maybe it's because I've known it for...well 15 years now. I can solve it in a matter of seconds.

But I'll give you another logic puzzle. This one is more interesting. Let's see who'd answer correctly first.

Nothing would happen, whatever force the Cannonball generates would be matched and cancelled by the pillar

DaRigger420:

my answer:

Left = Truth
Center = Lies
Right = Diplomacy

Yes, :)

cloudywolf13:

DoPo:

cloudywolf13:

The first one is the God of Truth
The second one is the God of Lies
The third one is the God of Diplomacy

Yes, correct.

[quote="cloudywolf13" post="18.381706.15042665"]-snip-

[quote="The_Blue_Rider" post="18.381706.15042997"]-snip-

OK, lol, that was really fast - the same minute! :D The correct answer is between you two. (can you solve this riddle :P)

DoPo:

Tallim:

DoPo:

Well, yes, that is correct. Although, rather than "nothing happens" it's more correct to say "that's impossible".

Well yes but that wasn't the question.....:P But I'll accept your correction.

Mary's mother has three children. The oldest is named April. The middle child is named May. What is the name of the youngest child?

cloudywolf13:
Mary's mother has three children. The oldest is named April. The middle child is named May. What is the name of the youngest child?

Mary.

cloudywolf13:

Mary. Reminds me of a Professor Layton puzzle :D

cloudywolf13:

Mary

'A box without hinges, key, or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.'

'Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.'

cloudywolf13:

That took me longer than it should have...

Here's another logic puzzle:

Three men, who are called Alan, Bob and Charlie in no particular order, are standing in a row. You need to find out which one is which by asking yes or no questions, and each question can be put to exactly one of them. All three men will answer truthfully.

With three questions the solution is trivial, but can you do it with just two questions?

odBilal:

Solo-Wing:

Darkgoosey666:

I want to say vampire but it seems too obvious ;__;

vampire?

NOPE.avi

New one.

Only one color but not one size.
Stuck at the bottom yet easily flies.
Present in sun but not in rain.
Doing no harm and feeling no pain.
What is it?

A shadow?

Correct!

I am also glad to see my thread Exploded!

Successful thread is Successful :D

TheMann:
Okay, this one might be a bit obscure but here goes:

A man was found dead, under a pile of 52 bicycles. Other than the fact that it was a murder, the police didn't find the crime scene the least bit unusual. What happened?

My grandmother has a deck of really old playing cards, and if I remember correctly, the brand was Bicycle. So essentially, he died with a deck of playing cards on top of him in a pile probably after he beat his killer in a poker game.

Solo-Wing:

I am also glad to see my tread Exploded!

That sounds painful, you should be more careful.

DoPo:

Tallim:

DoPo:

Wait...are you saying that's the answer? "That's impossible" is the answer?

burninglondon:

DoPo:

Tallim:

Wait...are you saying that's the answer? "That's impossible" is the answer?

Well, yes. If you have something that cannot be stopped and something that stops everything (to simplify) that's a paradox. It's not possible to have both at once - either the pillar stops everything, including the unstoppable cannon-ball...which would make the cannon-ball not unstoppable, or the cannon-ball is unstoppable and the pillar is not indestructible and unmovable.

So in other words, it is impossible.

DoPo:

Well, yes. If you have something that cannot be stopped and something that stops everything (to simplify) that's a paradox. It's not possible to have both at once - either the pillar stops everything, including the unstoppable cannon-ball...which would make the cannon-ball not unstoppable, or the cannon-ball is unstoppable and the pillar is not indestructible and unmovable.

So in other words, it is impossible.

Right. I get that it's a paradox. The Juggernaut Vs. Blob Paradox. I just assumed that since it was a riddle there was some more complex or clever answer than that. Like the one about the pretzel stick (Two halves make a "hole." It's not ACTUALLY possible to escape with a pretzel or cough and get a horse in the bargain, but it is a clever play on words). I mean, it posits that these two things exist, and the answer is that they can't both exist. It puts forward false premises stating a priori that they are true.

It'd be like if I threw out that riddle from earlier about the doctor saying, "I can't operate on him. He's my son," only instead stating that the father AND mother both died in the car crash and the solution was, "The doctor was lying. It wasn't his/her son."

That's not a perfect analogy, I know. I suppose one could argue it means the child was adopted. Or that his mother was cheating on his father with the doctor. In short, I was hoping there was more to it than that.

baconsarnie:

'A box without hinges, key, or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.'

'Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.'

That last second one was my favorite of all their exchanges. The line about mail gave me trouble. Even after I had the answer it still took me a minute.

TheDrunkNinja:

TheMann:

A man was found dead, under a pile of 52 bicycles. Other than the fact that it was a murder, the police didn't find the crime scene the least bit unusual. What happened?

My grandmother has a deck of really old playing cards, and if I remember correctly, the brand was Bicycle. So essentially, he died with a deck of playing cards on top of him in a pile probably after he beat his killer in a poker game.

You're correct, I wasn't sure anyone was going get that. I mean, Bicycle is still one of the most widely sold brands in the US, but you'd still have to have heard of them. Depends on how much you play cards, I guess.

TheMann:

TheDrunkNinja:

TheMann:

You're correct, I wasn't sure anyone was going get that. I mean, Bicycle is still one of the most widely sold brands in the US, but you'd still have to have heard of them. Depends on how much you play cards, I guess.

I heard that one as that he was found under 53 bicycles, and was killed because he cheated.

Anyway, here's one from a previous riddle thread: What starts with e, ends with e and has only one letter? (And is not the letter e.) My apologies for stealing this from the person who put it in the other thread but it's a good riddle.

snappydog:

TheMann:

TheDrunkNinja:

I heard that one as that he was found under 53 bicycles, and was killed because he cheated.

Anyway, here's one from a previous riddle thread: What starts with e, ends with e and has only one letter? (And is not the letter e.) My apologies for stealing this from the person who put it in the other thread but it's a good riddle.

An envelope?

With potent, flowery words speak I,
Of something common, vulgar, dry;
I weave webs of pedantic prose,
In effort to befuddle those,
Who think I wile time away,
In lofty things, above all day
The common kind that linger where
Monadic beings live and fare;
Practical I may not be,
But life, it seems, is full of me!

(browses AT4W) Archives
Ahh, here it is! (Anyone who's seen the relevant storyline, don't answer)

Beneath the seas, besides the flame,
Off the coast where the lost beast came,
To bring the world misery and shame,
A piece of the world is missing.

The path you should have never crossed,
The Beast exacts a heavy cost,
The number of the Beast is lost,
You will know it by its hissing.

The bones from hell you cannot tame,
Devour your life and all your fame,
That is the price to play its game,
And all while you're reminiscing.

cloudywolf13:

snappydog:

TheMann:

An envelope?

Ding ding ding ^_^

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked