Its about time. Washington State approves same sex marriage

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

You can add another state to the list of states that have granted same marital rights to homosexuals as are given to heterosexuals, because my state, Washington, has just passed a bill that does just that. I can't tell you how pleased I am about this, not only as the brother of a homosexual, but also because it gives me great pride in my state considering that we've taken this step. Of course, it was largely a symbolic step, as homosexuals were already granted the majority of the rights given to heterosexuals but its still a great day (and oddly enough, a sunny day) here in Washington.

So, to add some discussion, do you think that this will give any steam to the gay rights, will it galvanize the opponents who see this as one more state that has fallen to the "Homosexual Agenda", or you could just post about how happy this makes you.

Posting from the Netherlands, where we already have gay marriage...

It's a great improvement! But the fact that is still so controversial is saddening...

Woo! Hellz to the yes. This is awesome. Thank you, Washington.

GrimTuesday:
You can add another state to the list of states that have granted same marital rights to homosexuals as are given to heterosexuals, because my state, Washington, has just passed a bill that does just that. I can't tell you how pleased I am about this, not only as the brother of a homosexual, but also because it gives me great pride in my state considering that we've taken this step. Of course, it was largely a symbolic step, as homosexuals were already granted the majority of the rights given to heterosexuals but its still a great day (and oddly enough, a sunny day) here in Washington.

So, to add some discussion, do you think that this will give any steam to the gay rights, will it galvanize the opponents who see this as one more state that has fallen to the "Homosexual Agenda", or you could just post about how happy this makes you.

They already had essentially the same right but now they have voted to legally recognize same-sex marriage. As I said on another topic about this, well done for Washington. This is how this issue should be handled, not by courts but by the people or the people's representatives.

By the way I think its important to note what the sponsor of the bill said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16856861

"Democratic Senator Ed Murray, the bill's sponsor, said it was a contentious issue and lawmakers who voted against gay marriage should not be accused of bigotry.

The gay lawmaker from Seattle added: "Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.""

Honestly this shouldnt surprise anyone other than how it took so long. Washington state is widely known as one of the most socially liberal states in the country. There are a few more states I expect will legally recognize same-sex marriage but most of the country has already made up its mind one way or another and that is perfectly fine. Each state can make their own decision on this issue and no state should be telling other states what it should or should not call a marriage.

Also I caught you lying, it can't be a sunny day in all of Washington, i've been to Seattle! (joke...though I have been to Seattle.)

Seekster:

GrimTuesday:

They already had essentially the same right but now they have voted to legally recognize same-sex marriage. As I said on another topic about this, well done for Washington. This is how this issue should be handled, not by courts but by the people or the people's representatives.

"Democratic Senator Ed Murray, the bill's sponsor, said it was a contentious issue and lawmakers who voted against gay marriage should not be accused of bigotry.

The gay lawmaker from Seattle added: "Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.""

Honestly this shouldnt surprise anyone other than how it took so long. Washington state is widely known as one of the most socially liberal states in the country. There are a few more states I expect will legally recognize same-sex marriage but most of the country has already made up its mind one way or another and that is perfectly fine. Each state can make their own decision on this issue and no state should be telling other states what it should or should not call a marriage.

Also I caught you lying, it can't be a sunny day in all of Washington, i've been to Seattle! (joke...though I have been to Seattle.)

It is actually a very sunny day with a clear blue sky where I'm at, although it did rain a little yesterday... wait, what am I, a fucking weather man, we're here to talk about politics!

I think that what Mr. Murray said was spot on because while I don't like the fact that people are opposed to the bill (soon to be law, yay) I also realize that it doesn't mean that they hate gay people, or they want to oppress gay people. Of course, hearing things like the soon to be law would "lead to the silencing of those who believe in traditional marriage" as Mr. Swecker said is simply asinine, and he is just trying to act like he and those who believe the same as him are being victimized because the people who he and his ilk have been denying the same rights given to heterosexuals, have gotten those rights that they, simply by being humans, deserve.

EDIT: Also, I would expect to see Oregon do the same thing within the next year or so, because Washington and Oregon are bros like that.

I think it is about time that all of America passes it so it can no longer be a point to use for pandering by certain politicians.

GrimTuesday:

Seekster:

GrimTuesday:

It is actually a very sunny day with a clear blue sky where I'm at, although it did rain a little yesterday... wait, what am I, a fucking weather man, we're here to talk about politics!

I think that what Mr. Murray said was spot on because while I don't like the fact that people are opposed to the bill (soon to be law, yay) I also realize that it doesn't mean that they hate gay people, or they want to oppress gay people. Of course, hearing things like the soon to be law would "lead to the silencing of those who believe in traditional marriage" as Mr. Swecker said is simply asinine, and he is just trying to act like he and those who believe the same as him are being victimized because the people who he and his ilk have been denying the same rights given to heterosexuals, have gotten those rights that they, simply by being humans, deserve.

EDIT: Also, I would expect to see Oregon do the same thing within the next year or so, because Washington and Oregon are bros like that.

Swecker's concern is understandable but its up to people on your side to prove him wrong, I pray you do.

And again from what I have read Washington had a pretty open common law marriage statute in place already so same-sex couples basically already could get all the rights and benefits as married couples. The only thing this does is make it so they can get a state marriage license to go along with those rights. Still its Washington states decision and I respect their right to make it and it wouldnt do to say that their decision is against the will of the people (unless there is a referendum and it turns out it is against the will of the people but a referendum is unlikely and largely unnecessary, if the people are that strongly opposed to this move they will vote their representatives out in the next election. However this is Washington, I highly doubt most of the people in Washington are opposed to same-sex marriage like they are in California.

And yes I expect Oregon and Maryland and Maine to legally recognize same-sex marriage along with some other states but I wouldnt expect this to be a trend across the country. It is expected that more liberal states would legally recognize same-sex marriage and that is their right, I do not begrudge them that.

Um... Not law yet. It just passed the senate. Now it has to go to the house. Of course, it will most likely be passed in there and could be sitting on Gregoire's desk within the next week, but it is not technically legal yet. And activisits have vowed to repeal the thing, so... Yeah. Not out of the woods yet.

Anyway, I am more interested to see how that marijuana legalization bill turns out. I knew it was just a matter of time until our state passed gay marriage (and that it would be sooner rather than later), but I am curious as to how the other turns out. I think it might actually have a chance at becoming law.

And lo, Some faith in the US of A has been restored.
Finally, people who aren't calling same sex marriage a crime.
I'm surprised some bus full of Bible Belt Zealots didn't come down on this.

Diablo1099:

Give it time. There were rumblings before this passed the senate, you can bet they will multiply sometime soon. Some groups have already vowed to pull a California on this one.

BreakfastMan:

Diablo1099:

Give it time. There were rumblings before this passed the senate, you can bet they will multiply sometime soon. Some groups have already vowed to pull a California on this one.

Wait, Groups in the state or Bible Bashers from others?
(I Know Little about how US shit works)

Diablo1099:

BreakfastMan:

Diablo1099:

Wait, Groups in the state or Bible Bashers from others?
(I Know Little about how US shit works)

Don't know specifics, but I do know that local churches were not happy when they found out about this, and will definitely be pissed when this inevitably gets put into law. Though, they object more to a part of the law that they want changed than the law as a whole, but they will still vote to appeal it if it comes to that.

As for other groups, all I know is what I heard on the radio, which is "some groups vow to repeal this in November". Sure sounds like they want a repeat of Cali, whoever they are. :P

BreakfastMan:
Snip

Well, I'm Sure as long as it gets into law, it will be alright, much harder to remove a law than to make one...right?....

Diablo1099:

BreakfastMan:
Snip

Well, I'm Sure as long as it gets into law, it will be alright, much harder to remove a law than to make one...right?....

Like I said, tell that to same-sex couples in California. :P

(For those who don't get my references to Cali: A while back, Cali made same-sex marriage legal. Some people did not like that, and called a referendum on the law. They successfully repealed it, and made same-sex illegal again. Very controversial at the time.)

BreakfastMan:

Diablo1099:

BreakfastMan:
Snip

(For those who don't get my references to Cali: A while back, Cali made same-sex marriage legal. Some people did not like that, and called a referendum on the law. They successfully repealed it, and made same-sex illegal again. Very controversial at the time.)

...Crap...
And just the second I change my opinion on this Country...
Still, the Anti-Groups are out Numbered, Right?

That's good. Congrats.

Diablo1099:

BreakfastMan:

Diablo1099:

...Crap...

They might be. They might not be. We won't know for sure until November rolls around, I think. :P

Heh. Don't feel bad about the anti-groups. Just yesterday, I was quite shocked to see an advert on Youtube, advocating some "Appeal to Merkel to return Germany to its christian Roots" or some such nonsense. I imagine putting an ad up on Youtube isn't the cheapest thing to do, so they seem to have enough financial support. And that's the pretty secular Germany!

It's their right to voice opinions, bigoted and morally questionable as they might be, I guess. I came to the realisation that working towards "our own agenda", for a lack of a better term, works better than focusing on defending against opposition, since in the latter position, one almost always ends up compromising, i.e. more or less meeting in the middle. If we have to meet in the middle in the end, I'd rather start far, faaaar on the left.

~Sylv

BreakfastMan:

Diablo1099:

BreakfastMan:
Snip

Trouble is once you give someone a right you can't take it away without violating the US Constitution. All the other states got it right the first time by passing state constitutional amendments, California, in typical fashioned, screwed up.

I have little doubt same-sex marriage will be legally recognized in California, nobody is seriously defending Prop 8 in court anyway. The judge in the District Court even went so far as to chastise the attorney for the state for only putting up a token defense of the law because its clear the new people in charge at the state level dont want to defend Prop 8.

Yet one more reason to the growing list of why I want to move to Washington. You better catch up, Oregon!

Meh it will get repealed. They always do. After all, prop 8 was not that long ago and look how that turned out.
The annoying thing is that its a waste of time. All this bickering and shit over something that is not important in the slightest and could be easily resolved if both sides just got their heads out of their asses and stopped acting like goddamn kids.

End of story is this. Marriage is and will always be seen as a religious issue. You can not change that.
Civil unions however are the legal side of it.
So the easy as fuck work around is this. Do not grant gay couples marriage rights. Grant them civil union rights and call the legal side of it for both genders civil unions.
The christians are happy. The homosexuals get their legal privileges. And the best bit, everyone stops wasting time and money on a stupid little non issue.

Monkeyman O'Brien:
Meh it will get repealed. They always do. After all, prop 8 was not that long ago and look how that turned out.
The annoying thing is that its a waste of time. All this bickering and shit over something that is not important in the slightest and could be easily resolved if both sides just got their heads out of their asses and stopped acting like goddamn kids.

End of story is this. Marriage is and will always be seen as a religious issue. You can not change that.
Civil unions however are the legal side of it.
So the easy as fuck work around is this. Do not grant gay couples marriage rights. Grant them civil union rights and call the legal side of it for both genders civil unions.
The christians are happy. The homosexuals get their legal privileges. And the best bit, everyone stops wasting time and money on a stupid little non issue.

Marriage isn't a purely religious issue as long as its recognised outside of religions.

"Seperate but equal" tends only to be one of those.

As long as you deny gay marriage, homosexuals are unlikely to even get legal equality.

I honestly don't see the problem with solving the issue of gay marriage over the court system. I mean, for fuck's sake, how many courts have determined that it's a matter of the 14th amendment that homosexuals should have the same marriage rights as heterosexuals? This issue shouldn't need to drag on like this.

LetalisK:
Yet one more reason to the growing list of why I want to move to Washington. You better catch up, Oregon!

Is the crime rate in DC worth leaving Oregon?

Happy face, hope it sticks.

Good to know if Bill C-11 gets passed in Canada I'll still have somewhere to go with my wife-to-be.

GrimTuesday:

Congradulations! :D

Although, I have to admit, Washington approving it came out of right field. I was expecting an Eastern State or somebody else to be the next in line.

Let's hope it sticks there.

Volf99:

LetalisK:

He means Washington state. It's the northernmost state on the west coast.

Volf99:

I think the issue regards the state of Washington, not D.C.

Edit: Dammit, Stagnant, five minutes before me!

Elcarsh:

Volf99:

I think the issue regards the state of Washington, not D.C.

Edit: Dammit, Stagnant, five minutes before me!

ah, that makes sense.

GrimTuesday:

While it has passed, and living in Vancouver with my lesbian parents I love it, the right wing psychos that ruined Portland's version are gonna get the referendum to put it on the November ballot, where it will be overturned because there are more rednecks than anyone else in Washington. Then the world will die a little.

I see a Prop 8 style future for Washington until this country gets its head out of its ass.

GrimTuesday:

Seekster:

GrimTuesday:

Do you remember what happened in Portland?

Oregon and Washington aren't close at all. PORTLAND and Washington are close. The rest of Oregon might as well be Oklahoma. Oregon regularly votes Republican, so even civil unions might take a while.

GrimTuesday:
Snip

Note, I would change the title so it says "Washington State" instead of just plain old Washington.

When most people (including me) read this title, we think the capital, not the state.

Sad reality that one city would outshine a state of several million, yes, but the city is the one we hear about more.

Diablo1099:

BreakfastMan:

Diablo1099:

...Crap...

Nope. Groups in Oregon have vowed to fake Washington IDs to vote against it. If there is one thing the ultra right knows how to do, it's whip a bunch of church folk into an angry frenzy.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Nope. Groups in Oregon have vowed to fake Washington IDs to vote against it. If there is one thing the ultra right knows how to do, it's whip a bunch of church folk into an angry frenzy.

...What. Citation please. Now. Not that I don't believe you, but I'd rather have some evidence before I let something like this send me into another one of my little frenzies.

Stagnant:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

...What. Citation please. Now. Not that I don't believe you, but I'd rather have some evidence before I let something like this send me into another one of my little frenzies.

Story from the Oregonian about people from California illegally voting in the Portland Gay Marriage vote. Will post it when I find it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked