Atheists can be real jerks sometimes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Galletea:
I think a lot of atheists that attack people for no good reason on the interwebs are ill informed, pretentious teenagers who have just decided to rebel against the structure of their family, or their society as a whole. It's a lot like emos attacking chavs or gangstas, it's not their way, therefore it is wrong. What they really are is anti-theists, but they don't understand the difference.
Then they have role models like Richard Dawkins, who doesn't help the situation, as he is a colossal dick and is worse than those extreme catholics who tell you you're going to hell at every opportunity.
And yeah, the internet has a high concentration of idiots.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I would just like to reiterate your later statement and say again that Richard Dawkins was a colossal dick.

Exterminas:
People can be real jerks sometimes.
Atheists are people.

The logic behind that is pretty simple, I don't really stand why this specific brand of douchebaggery is so particularly noteworthy.

It's more about the level of said douchebaggerey within different groups and when it comes to Internet atheists, that level is conspicuously high just like the OP's experiment confirmed. Although, question is if "atheist" is really the correct term seeing as most of these people are just young, confused keyboard warriors who couldn't care less about theology or the existence of a divine being, it's just an easy way for them to insult people and feel smart about it.

The atheists can say the same about christians, though in todays day and age, ive noticed more often than not atheists just attack Christianity, so to me at least it makes them seem like a purely anti-christian trolling group.

Galletea:
Then they have role models like Richard Dawkins, who doesn't help the situation, as he is a colossal dick and is worse than those extreme catholics who tell you you're going to hell at every opportunity.

Richard Dawkins is a dick? I admit that I'm not the biggest expert in him or Anti-Theism or whatever, but could you explain to me why? My friend recommended to me "The God Delusion", and I've heard it makes many valid arguments.

I mean, it can't be any worse than, say, the Bible. *shrugs*

Personally, I'm both an Atheist and an Anti-Theist, meaning that I don't believe in any deities and that religious is inherently harmful to society. But it doesn't mean that I'm going to try and shove my opinions down people's throats. It's just like how some people are against abortion. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they're free to have their opinions as long as they don't try to incite hatred or make everyone else believe in it.

I won't make reply to every argument you put out but as far as kid-raping priests go, yes that is a fault of religion and not just of the individual.

For one and most importantly, the church is actively protecting them! They keep moving the pedophiles around so they become impossible to track.

Secondly, the religious rules about sexual repression and a male priest surrounded by innocent children is a very bad combo. Sure, some pedophiles might go join a church just for the kids but mostly it's regular guys who are forced into abstinence because their God demands it apparently. I'm in no way excusing their actions or saying they're not responsible but it's like a forest fire: A lot can be done to prevent it happening.

About Atheists, yeah they can appear jerky but can you blame us? We grow up in a society dominated by insane people who think they came from dirt and ribs, that when bad people die they get tortured for eternity. If an Atheist has grown up in America it's even worse since that country is almost entirely ruled by Christian beliefs, all presidents must appease the church and an Atheist who tries to be in the military is almost as discriminated against as gay people are.

Also, as a side note: sometimes it's too hard not to make fun of Christians because of the sheer aura of stupid that they emit everywhere they go. I mean how am I supposed to just let someone who says something like this go unmocked? (see below)

Hammeroj:
Sorry 'bout that. I edited my previous post for clarity.

Thank you.

Hammeroj:

The Thinker:

DarkLordofDevon:

All beliefs (or lack their of) have a dark side. People are people, flawed. Every side is just as bad as another. No belief is worse than any other.

So, if I believed murder was A-okay, that isn't worse than, say, believing murder is generally not okay?

Or did you mean belief systems? In which case, if I believed in a religion that said murder was A-okay, that isn't worse than, say, believing in a religion that said murder is generally not okay?

Of course not! Be more open-minded, you silly! /level 9 sarcasm

See, this kind of apologetics is precisely what's dropping the intellectual honesty level in today's society down the shitter.

So... are you referring to Devon's apologetics? Or mine?

Though I suppose my pseudo-defense of an imaginary murder-religion based on an errant absolute statement might technically not be apologetics.

This is awesome. This sums up my view of God vs religion perfectly.

I identify as agnostic myself. I won't pretend to have the answers. But I love what this guy has to say.

I admire your attempt to see things from our perspective, glad to know it's made you a bit more open minded about these sort of things.

That was an interesting read, it's always nice to read about people accepting others, regardless of their beliefs.

JCBFGD:
Yeah, atheists can be jerks. So can blacks. And gays. And all minorities and majorities.

Aside from the "YOU DON'T SAY??" thing, I'm truly appalled by your findings. That's just insane. I'm an atheist and an antitheist, but I have respect for other people's beliefs. I'm friends with several evangelical Christians. We'll debate about it sometimes, but there's never any vitriol. We're always polite and respectful.

There's no need to hateful towards theists. Let 'em believe what they want.

It seems a bit... Odd for an Anti-Theist to be friends with Christians, especially Evangelical ones.

No offense to you, but aren't Anti Theists supposed to consider religion to be "Bad" or in some cases even "Evil"

William Ossiss:
My opinion on this is that my religion is my own god damned business, and I would not force my belief in God down anyone's throats. It is the exact same thing I expect from everyone else.

I'm going to leave this here.

Why must we try to find differences with each other? I accept all humankind.

I'm just gonna respond with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBo7Z_abiLE&feature=plcp&context=C4b6adf7VDvjVQa1PpcFPciAB8VXPO9RqgOcOVK5ss6HSxtl_1AUE=

Just kidding, I read it. All of it. O_O

First:
You went to an MMO for (any) tolerance?

Second:
Internet anonymity makes people assholes, whether religious or not. Also, you have little to no idea if someone you are in an argument with on the internet is genuine in their alleged 'beliefs'. Could just be a troll for all you know, who thoroughly enjoys making people go into lengthy religious tirades, or just hounding anyone who catches their eye, for that matter. The internet seems to be full of those troll things who cream at the thought of someone getting furious over what they type out. The calmer you are, the worse it's going to get. Because they want any kind of rise out of you. I'm willing to bet a majority of these MMO athiests, really don't give a crap about what you believe in. They just want to pick on you.

People, whether religious or not, are bolder, rougher, and can cut-deep when they are safely behind a keyboard. I understand, it can be hard and down-right frustrating when it seems like a majority of the internet is just trying to bring others down; whether it's about race, gender, religion, or identity as a human being. However, from what I've seen, regardless of what people try to claim on the internet, Atheists are still an out-spoken minority, especially in the States. Which may be why some of them are so rough on the internet, because it allows them to release pent-up frustrations. Not that that is a excuse to act like a douche-bag. However, I've also seen some pretty abhorrent behavior by those who claim a Faith; in person.

So, I guess the summary of this long-winded shit I've typed is :
ALL KINDS OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE CAN BE DICK-HOLES. DA DA DA DA DAAAAA!

lotr rocks 0:
Also, as a side note: sometimes it's too hard not to make fun of Christians because of the sheer aura of stupid that they emit everywhere they go. I mean how am I supposed to just let someone who says something like this go unmocked? (see below)

Image snip!

My theory: there are stupid people everywhere. It just becomes more apparent when they talk about things that don't have a basis in sound logic. Because then it's easier to mess up. Or trolls.

The Thinker:

Hammeroj:
Sorry 'bout that. I edited my previous post for clarity.

Thank you.

Hammeroj:

The Thinker:

So, if I believed murder was A-okay, that isn't worse than, say, believing murder is generally not okay?

Or did you mean belief systems? In which case, if I believed in a religion that said murder was A-okay, that isn't worse than, say, believing in a religion that said murder is generally not okay?

Of course not! Be more open-minded, you silly! /level 9 sarcasm

See, this kind of apologetics is precisely what's dropping the intellectual honesty level in today's society down the shitter.

So... are you referring to Devon's apologetics? Or mine?

Though I suppose my pseudo-defense of an imaginary murder-religion based on an errant absolute statement might technically not be apologetics.

God damnit. Devon's apologetics. Because they're inherently devoid of any sort of truth value. Zero.

Whenever I see or hear someone spew out the kind of bile you experienced during your experiment I tend to wonder if they attack an opposing view so viciously because they are uncertain of their own? If they can't stand someone else holding an opinion that differs from theirs, maybe it's because they don't quite know if they really agree with their world view.

Kind of like in the way a bully will break someone down to help themselves feel better. They do what they do because they see themselves as weak, or feel like they themselves are worthless. Same with opinions.

Anyway, that's my take on things. I find that as long as the person I'm having a discussion with remains calm and rational, then I can do the same for them, even if it means we have to agree to disagree.

Hammeroj:

Dandark:
That's right, they do exactly the thing religions were bad for doing. Atheisim is pretty much a religion, I consider it a religion.

There is no facepalm picture that conveys my feelings accurately enough.

Explain to me how you arrive at the conclusion that the lack of religion is the same as religion. Please, I'm dying to hear it.

Afterwards, you can explain to me why a belief in astrology is the same as lack of belief in astrology, just to seal the deal.

Religion refers to beliefs of what happens in the after life and what causes the unexplained. Atheism believes that you cease to be in the afterlife and science will explain everything, it is a belief structure therefore you can consider it a religion.

Its a vicious stupid cycle, Some Atheists (not all, I'm one myself in a don't care sort of way) will just shout 'THERE IS NO GOD' in peoples faces like 8 times a week and offend people, the religious people will then start being assholes to them in defending their beliefs and then the atheists will start going on about how they're being condemned and treated unfairly, This is everywhere and it reinforces the idea in the heads of both groups that all atheists are loud-mouth religion haters or that all religious people hate everyone who doesn't believe in their god, in conclusion The militant Atheists are their own worst enemy and are setting back tolerance hundreds of years and everyone should just shut the hell up :)

Woodsey:
Although generally I think people have far less time for religion (and rightly so) and naturally, by extension, the religious - perhaps not rightly so, but understandably so. Especially when it comes to the Catholic church, as per your guild.

If they have less time for it, then why are they going out of their way to attack it?

OT: As a religious person on the internet, eventually you just realize that the internet is a bit of a lost cause. If I want to have a decent conversation about religion, I have skeptical and curious friends I can talk to. I certainly won't find it on the internet.

People can be absolute dick bags regardless of religious belief (or lack thereof). And believing or not believing something different than someone else doesn't make you inherently superior.
That seems to be something a lot of people don't understand. And it's not even about religious debate, it's just about being a decent human being.

lord.jeff:

Hammeroj:

Dandark:
That's right, they do exactly the thing religions were bad for doing. Atheisim is pretty much a religion, I consider it a religion.

There is no facepalm picture that conveys my feelings accurately enough.

Explain to me how you arrive at the conclusion that the lack of religion is the same as religion. Please, I'm dying to hear it.

Afterwards, you can explain to me why a belief in astrology is the same as lack of belief in astrology, just to seal the deal.

Religion refers to beliefs of what happens in the after life and what causes the unexplained. Atheism believes that you cease to be in the afterlife and science will explain everything, it is a belief structure therefore you can consider it a religion.

I think you have your cause and effect wrong. I think people believing that science is accurate and can be used to explain the universe using natural and explainable phenomenon is what causes people to think critically about religion and realize that they don't need religion to explain the world, and so they can become atheist.

Not that someone preaches "you must become an atheist or the great lord Science shall smite thee into the dirt to decompose into dust when you die..."

Also there's nothing about being an atheist that says there's no afterlife, aside from the logical conclusion that we don't believe in the gods that say there's an afterlife, and science so far showing no detectable evidence that there is any place where people go when they die, or any evidence of a soul that persists after someone dies.

Atheism has no belief structure as much as you want to project that onto us.

lacktheknack:

Woodsey:
Although generally I think people have far less time for religion (and rightly so) and naturally, by extension, the religious - perhaps not rightly so, but understandably so. Especially when it comes to the Catholic church, as per your guild.

If they have less time for it, then why are they going out of their way to attack it?

As in, they have less patience with it.

Umm... Is it first NOW that you have realised Atheists are dickheads? Cheesus Krisp! There are moronic idiots EVERYWHERE, no matter what you believe in. (Or rather, the lack of a belief)Heck, I will proudly call myself a sodding bastard a lot of times to be honest!

stinkyrobot:

William Ossiss:
My opinion on this is that my religion is my own god damned business, and I would not force my belief in God down anyone's throats. It is the exact same thing I expect from everyone else.

I'm going to leave this here.

Why must we try to find differences with each other? I accept all humankind.

You do realise that the video you posted basically states that Christianity is the one true religion, right?

Did you expect otherwise?

About the only religion I can think of that allows for other religions being correct as well is Islam, which mentions in the Surah of the Heifer that all Christians and Jews are going to their respective heavens as well. Generally, religions will teach that they're correct, and there's no breathing room...

Most atheists are just tired of the most ridiculous claims made by young earth creationists being taken seriously by a large amount of people. Most atheists don't care what you want to personally believe, but when you stand on a soapbox and declare your philosophical beliefs to the world, don't be surprised when they're looked at critically, for both atheists and theists alike. However, generally speaking, when the books are down on the table, most atheists come out on top when their beliefs are looked at critically, because they tend to error on the side of vast amounts of evidence.

Hammeroj:
God damnit. Devon's apologetics. Because they're inherently devoid of any sort of truth value. Zero.

Oh. So we are in agreement. Right. Okay then. Good.

Hmm... I need an image macro here...

Woodsey:

lacktheknack:

Woodsey:

Question still stands, why do they go out of their way to attack it?

The OP makes a religious guild, puts up invites for it on the forums.

Which of the following actions requires less patience on an atheist's part?

A. Click the "Back" button and check another thread, forgetting about the religious guild invite.

B. Type out an angry hate-ridden bile post, then click the back button and forget the guild invite.

to be honest most of the time i ignore athiets when they try to pick an argument about relgion with me, i can usually tell if they're going to be serious or just be twats

also
Now giving religious people hell because they're wrong has always been fair game because lets face it. They're wrong about everything.

thanks, we're wrong about everything, classy

Dejawesp:
But regardless of all of that their RIGHT to have a religion and to express it is pretty freaking important and anyone looking to infringe on that is an lunatic more dangerous than the most fanatical of religious fundamentalist.

I hope this isn't you being serious.

On topic, I think. To be an atheist is just as ignorant/arrogant as to be a theist, the way I see it until one side can bring certain proof to the table that god(S) does or doesn't exist then to be anything other than agnostic is stupid.

I think there might be something out there, it might be none of the gods written in all earths religions, one religion might have got it right or it is some mix of every religion.

I watched a few atheist videos on youtube and all of them seem to just go after the christian god and it's all about proving the christian god wrong. What about proving another religions god wrong?

Dejawesp:

Now giving religious people hell because they're wrong has always been fair game because lets face it. They're wrong about everything.
[...]
You cannot even begin to understand what massive balls it takes to be a religious person on the internet. In fact the few religious people that are on the net are probably here because their medicine-ball size testicles prevent them from leaving the house.

I know it's not what you mean, but we can't be wrong about everything. If we're the ones that end up being mistaken on the whole Divine Entity issue we might still have some correct views on other things. Elsewise my history thesis is really going to suck :D

And though I appreciate the compliment, I must admit that my balls are about average (I think). People like that have just never really gotten to me, and I also don't go around telling people what my beliefs are.

Unfortunately mean-spirited people are everywhere, and the internet let's them say whatever they like without real consequence to themselves... And they seem determinedly attached to their meanness. I once had the misfortune of commenting on a youtube video where the usual pro/anti-religious bilefest was taking place. In this comment, all I said was that it was sad that people couldn't just get along. People's reaction? I was told I was acting arrogantly and should "fuck off back to your priest's cunt". (N.B. Not sure why he decided I should do this to a priest, seeing as how I'm not a christian, but anyhoo)

lacktheknack:

Woodsey:

lacktheknack:

A. Click the "Back" button and check another thread, forgetting about the religious guild invite.

B. Type out an angry hate-ridden bile post, then click the back button and forget the guild invite.

Come on, you can't just have people going around, being wrong, on the internet. You need to point out how wrong and stupid they are so they can realize it for themselves. And nobody will know your name unless you actually make posts.

Also, I find it funny that if an adult still believes in Santa Claus, monsters under his bed or fairies, he's ridiculed as insane or a child. But if an adult believes in God, people shy away from criticizing him, not wanting to cause offence.

As MovieBob said, double standards are damn near the only standards we have. Seriously, I don't care if you believe that Spider-Man is real, as long as you don't try to shove it down people's throats every five minutes.

lacktheknack:

Woodsey:

lacktheknack:

Because it makes people irate and angry. And some people just want to take the piss out of other people.

And you're taking every word of my sentence very literally. I don't mean patience in relation to time-consumption.

So, let me get this straight, you, the OP:
1. Formed a religious institution.
2. Decry everyone not part of your religion as "heretics"
3. Get surprised when people compare you to the inquisition.

You know, a lot of religious people, particularly in the US, are demanding some pretty severe things be done to Athiests. Hell, even the Pope called us Nazis. And you think you're the victim here?

omega 616:

Dejawesp:
But regardless of all of that their RIGHT to have a religion and to express it is pretty freaking important and anyone looking to infringe on that is an lunatic more dangerous than the most fanatical of religious fundamentalist.

I hope this isn't you being serious.

On topic, I think. To be an atheist is just as ignorant/arrogant as to be a theist, the way I see it until one side can bring certain proof to the table that god(S) does or doesn't exist then to be anything other than agnostic is stupid.

I think there might be something out there, it might be none of the gods written in all earths religions, one religion might have got it right or it is some mix of every religion.

I watched a few atheist videos on youtube and all of them seem to just go after the christian god and it's all about proving the christian god wrong. What about proving another religions god wrong?

I think you need to read this guys post. You can be an atheist and still be agnostic. I am one. Hell, you can be a theist and still be agnostic. I choose to err on the side of evidence. If tomorrow indisputable evidence that a God existed surfaced, then I would believe in that God, because I try to seek out truth and not cling to obsolete and inaccurate beliefs.

Zen Toombs:

Headsprouter:
I am an Agnostic who points flaws in both of them, but they're still my friends. For example, me and the Atheist friend agree that Agnosticism is another type of atheism, but this group is much less confrontational. He dislikes agnostics, beleiving they're just cowardly Atheists who go under a better name to avoid arguments.

Agnostics aren't just less confrontational Atheists, it's something else entirely. Just as one can be Atheist (not believing in divinity & so forth) or Theist (believing in a divinity), one can be Agnostic (not believing that the divine can be proven) or Gnostic[1] (believing that the divine can be proven, even if we can't at this point).

Once can be a Gnostic Atheist (that one can prove the existence of the divine, and that the divine doesn't exist) or an Agnostic Theist (that once cannot prove the existence of the divine, but believes it anyway) or an Agnostic Atheist (that once cannot prove the existence of the divine either way but disbelieves in it) or a Gnostic Theist (that once can prove the existence of the divine, and believes that the divine exists).

I rejected all of those answers, and instead chose Agnostic Pandeism.

[1] I forget the term, but I'll use this as a placeholder

Buretsu:

lacktheknack:

Woodsey:

Come on, you can't just have people going around, being wrong, on the internet. You need to point out how wrong and stupid they are so they can realize it for themselves. And nobody will know your name unless you actually make posts.

It does give me a list of people to avoid, I suppose. :D

But then again, the entire list mostly just frequents the Religion and Politics board, which is a wretched hive of scum and villainy that I keep away from anyways.

lord.jeff:

Atheism believes

Come on, dude. You just managed to form a two-word statement that's wrong on two different levels.

First off, atheism doesn't believe in anything, it's not an entity.

Second, here's what atheism is. It's the rejection of theist beliefs. That's all it is. It's a simple concept. It carries no dogma, and no actual beliefs in and of itself.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked