Romney Spokesman Forced to Resign for Being Openly Gay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Percy, it's not worth discussing this issue with Seekster. He is convinced that homophobes do not make up a considerable part of the modern republican party, and that I'm not worth debating with (lest he be so infuriated by my calling out his missing the point that he get banned). Self-delusion that runs that deep, as to claim that the republican party is not largely made up of homophobes, is not going anywhere fast.

Seekster:
The issue is with same-sex marriage not with homosexuals themselves (that is true for most Conservatives at least).

If this is true, then having a homosexual on one's campaign staff, for foreign policy of all things, should not be a risk to a candidate's support among Conservatives-- no matter what he did or was present for in the past.

Seanchaidh:

Seekster:
The issue is with same-sex marriage not with homosexuals themselves (that is true for most Conservatives at least).

If this is true, then having a homosexual on one's campaign staff, for foreign policy of all things, should not be a risk to a candidate's support among Conservatives-- no matter what he did or was present for in the past.

After looking into this matter more, I agree with you, I think this guy resigned prematurely.

Seekster:

Seanchaidh:

Seekster:

After looking into this matter more, I agree with you, I think this guy resigned prematurely.

It would be a very nice thing if you were right. I'm skeptical... but it would be good. Well, comparatively. :)

Stagnant:
Percy, it's not worth discussing this issue with Seekster. He is convinced that homophobes do not make up a considerable part of the modern republican party, and that I'm not worth debating with (lest he be so infuriated by my calling out his missing the point that he get banned). Self-delusion that runs that deep, as to claim that the republican party is not largely made up of homophobes, is not going anywhere fast.

I'd have thought he'd at least consider the possibility that, giving the Republican Party's stance on homosexuality in general, he'd at least acknowledge homophobia is a problem. I mean to be so fucking deluded as to claim attempts at barring homosexuals from marrying stem from a desire to protect the "sanctity of marriage" is really beyond my fucking abilities.

PercyBoleyn:

Stagnant:

I'd have thought he'd at least consider the possibility that, giving the Republican Party's stance on homosexuality in general, he'd at least acknowledge homophobia is a problem. I mean to be so fucking deluded as to claim attempts at barring homosexuals from marrying stem from a desire to protect the "sanctity of marriage" is really beyond my fucking abilities.

Yeah. Seekster has me on ignore, so he won't read this, but I'm going to say it anyways.

Seekster, if you're wondering why we call you "partisan"? You present apologetics for EVERY issue, regardless of how blatantly wrong you are. It's like claiming "I'm not a fundamentalist" and then throwing out apologetics for why slavery is morally right because it's in the bible. Claiming that the republican party doesn't contain a bunch of homophobes is just wrong, and trying to twist the facts after an openly gay person leaves because he was worried that his mere presence as a homosexual would hurt the campaign is just downright evil.

Stagnant:
It's like claiming "I'm not a fundamentalist" and then throwing out apologetics for why slavery is morally right because it's in the bible.

Erm, you do remember that we had plenty of arguments on slavery where the argument coming from the other side is basically "Biblical slavery was different than recent past slavery and much better in terms of living conditions" etc. to the notion of "the Southern States did it wrong, but slavery is in principle a-okay", right?

Skeleon:

Stagnant:
It's like claiming "I'm not a fundamentalist" and then throwing out apologetics for why slavery is morally right because it's in the bible.

Erm, you do remember that we had plenty of arguments on slavery where the argument coming from the other side is basically "Biblical slavery was different than recent past slavery and much better in terms of living conditions" etc. to the notion of "the Southern States did it wrong, but slavery is in principle a-okay", right?

Oh, I know, and I think that that's a retarded-as-fuck argument either way, but I don't think Seekster denies being a fundie. Does he? If so: wow, and I thought you were smart.

Stagnant:
...but I don't think Seekster denies being a fundie.

Oh. Well. I honestly don't know. From what I gathered he considers himself "moderate compared to others" including some of his own family members if I remember correctly, but that really isn't saying anything.

Hey Seekster, if you party isn't made of homophobes Romney's "background" supporting gay rights wouldn't be a liability that you claim it is, in the first place.

Skeleon:

Stagnant:

Oh. Well. I honestly don't know. From what I gathered he considers himself "moderate compared to others" including some of his own family members if I remember correctly, but that really isn't saying anything.

He's so far been of a position against what he believes is "harmful" discrimination, while maintaining gay people are "wrong", and been ok with some discrimination as long as it furthers the freedom of the dollar, but doesn't seem too obviously harmful (ie he'd be against slavery even if there was an economic benefit and the subject was a gay man, but be more amicable towards the "free market" deciding they get slave wages).

His stance on gay marriage is that me personally or my church personally defining marriage for myself violates his religious "freedom" to define marriage, as if there was a finite supply of ability to define marriage personally. But he is "for" civil unions, even if we're "wrong" to have them.

Skeleon:

Stagnant:

I am the second most liberal member of my immediate family .My mother and father are more Conservative than I, my father doesnt believe in evolution, my mother may or may not I am not sure. I accept evolution and the big bang as de facto fact (as in technically a scientific theory but they have so much supporting evidence that it might as well be considered to be fact) however I argue that these are simply the methods that God used in creating the Universe and the mechanics by which life adapts over time to the changing environment. Its actually more amazing than the idea that God just poofed everything into existence. My sister is somewhat to my left, given that she is an actress and lives outside Los Angeles I am not surprised.

Also I do admit that actual homophobia (as in people who genuinely don't like gay people) is a problem that needs to be address by Conservatives such as myself. However to ascribe the views of a few to all or even most Conservatives is prejudice. Granted there is disagreement as to what constitutes being "anti-gay". I do not believe that being for traditional marriage means that you hate gay people.

On another matter it is humorous how the people who say religion has no place in legal debates about marriage (a view which I agree with) are so quick to try and bring religion into a legal debate about marriage. Note what Damien tried to do in his final paragraph of his last post.

I am the second most liberal member of my immediate family.

This statement is extremely scary.

Also, this is bothersome. Blocking Seekster shuts me out of most debates here, as we don't normally have a lot of other people as persistently, interestingly wrong.

If Romney was really behind the guy, he should have publically stuck up for him. It would have been a good moment for him to get the attention of more liberal voters and "moderate" Repubs. The "far-right conservatives" won't care anyways, they're voting against Obama no matter what.

chronobreak:
If Romney was really behind the guy, he should have publically stuck up for him. It would have been a good moment for him to get the attention of more liberal voters and "moderate" Repubs. The "far-right conservatives" won't care anyways, they're voting against Obama no matter what.

I agree Romney should have publicly stuck up for this guy but I think it was something of a surprise that he resigned so suddenly.

As for conservatives voting against Obama no matter what, yeah you would think so but you have to understand how important principle is to conservatives. No matter what its hard to get us to sell out on principles (more true for voters than for elected officials actually) and there are people on the far right who honestly believe that Romney is just like Obama so they arent sure if they can vote for him or not.

Stagnant:

Seekster:
And yes Stag I have you on ignore, helps keep me from getting myself suspended again for calling you out.

Oh good, so I can stop responding to your bullshit then? What a colossal waste of time. I had such high hopes, too... You were always just borderline not stupid. And then some new issue comes along and you are wrong in every way possible... *sigh*

And for the record? My opinion applies to everyone here: if you do not see the homophobia present and active in the republican party, then you are blind. I'd go so far as to say you're doing it on purpose.

He put me on ignore as well, a couple of weeks ago. He apparently can't handle being told how wrong he is all the time.

If the Republicans aren't homophobic, why was the Big Gay Marriage Menace the issue that got them mobilized in 2004?

arbane:
If the Republicans aren't homophobic, why was the Big Gay Marriage Menace the issue that got them mobilized in 2004?

Because the Republican party is ... *drumroll* ... DOMINATED BY HOMOPHOBES. How anyone can attempt to refute this is simply beyond me.

arbane:

My feelings exactly. Can someone please give me an argument against gay marraige that wont make me laugh.

Im almost happy this happened, it just helps polarize this weird version of the GOP that has been hangin on for dear life the last 20 or so years.

feeqmatic:

My feelings exactly. Can someone please give me an argument against gay marraige that wont make me laugh.

"Teh buttsex is icky."

Lilani:

Katatori-kun:

Seekster:
He fired him because he was a liability, he was a liability because he was openly gay. Thats an important distinction to make.

Yeah, you're just making excuses now.

Let's be honest here: This guy is not a liability. His homosexuality has not a single iota of relevance to his ability to do his job. The liability is the Republican base Romney is trying to court. This isn't a guy campaigning for gay marriage or for the right of gays to prima noctae with every groom in the country- he's just a guy who wants to do a good job who happens to be gay. If that's a liability for Romney, it's because the base Romney is trying to court has been lying to America all this time- they don't want to protect "traditional" marriage... they just plain don't like gays. They are the group that is sinking the Republican party and if Romney was smart, he'd ditch them. Elections are won by courting the middle, not appealing to hateful extremes.

There is a lot of truth in this. Even Bill O'Reilly made this distinction by sticking up for Ellen Degeneres when the One Million Moms group was demanding that they fire her from being their spokesperson just a couple of months ago.

I couldn't find a video of the whole argument, but basically he argued that nobody has the right to say someone shouldn't have a job just because they're gay, as the One Million Moms were arguing that Ellen should be fired. To say they shouldn't marry is one argument, to say they shouldn't have a job is another thing entirely. While I still disagree with Bill on the marriage thing, and a lot of things quite frankly, I am glad he hasn't quite joined the bandwagon of conservatives who are all but running gays out of town with pitchforks and torches in hand.

i actually saw that when it happened. while i dont support the guy in a lot of things i respect him for sticking to his guns on that jobs issue at least

arbane:

feeqmatic:

"Teh buttsex is icky."

Hey don't knock it till you tried it.

Bouchie Bouch:

arbane:

feeqmatic:

"Teh buttsex is icky."

One of my acquaintances once tried to pull this one about how gays are disgusting because the ass is supposed to only be for one-way traffic. My answer? "So, that's why you kept complaining last week how your girlfriend doesn't want to do anal?" He of course tried to pull "It's not the same thing", but quickly realized that it kind of is. Rather surprisingly, that seems to have sobered him up and he became a bit more gay-tolerant afterwards.

Bouchie Bouch:

arbane:

feeqmatic:

"Teh buttsex is icky."

That is one of my favourite arguments when gay sex is being discussed...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked