Your desire is our Command - What do YOU want to play as?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

TheIronRuler:

The Critic:

TheIronRuler:
Guys, am I the only one tired of playing teenager and young adults in RPs? 15-21 year old kids, barely legal depending on your country? I can't find games where I can play as an adult, it's always people in their early 20s.

It's strange to see, but you're right, a lot of characters do seem to be unnaturally young for the settings that they're in. I can sight my own RP as an example: we do have some characters that are above 30, one even above 50, but the median age is still very much in the early 20s. Personally, I chalk this up to the fact that a lot of us are in our early 20s (or around that area), and people want to have part of themselves reflected in their characters.

But what's wrong creating that middle-aged sod in a mid-life crisis with a wife and two kids depending on him suddenly being thrusted into a million years old conflict between the magic forces of the Negon and the dark forces of the Verbilon? Lots of conflict, much fun and when romance actually happens it has weight because he has a fucking wife and two kids back home!

No, I agree with you; one of our players has a character like that (family angle, though I'm not sure if 35 counts as middle-aged any more)), and the GM characters are themselves in their mid to late 30s. Personally, I find that this adds an interesting dynamic to the characters.

The Critic:

TheIronRuler:

The Critic:
It's strange to see, but you're right, a lot of characters do seem to be unnaturally young for the settings that they're in. I can sight my own RP as an example: we do have some characters that are above 30, one even above 50, but the median age is still very much in the early 20s. Personally, I chalk this up to the fact that a lot of us are in our early 20s (or around that area), and people want to have part of themselves reflected in their characters.

But what's wrong creating that middle-aged sod in a mid-life crisis with a wife and two kids depending on him suddenly being thrusted into a million years old conflict between the magic forces of the Negon and the dark forces of the Verbilon? Lots of conflict, much fun and when romance actually happens it has weight because he has a fucking wife and two kids back home!

No, I agree with you; one of our players has a character like that (family angle, though I'm not sure if 35 counts as middle-aged any more)), and the GM characters are themselves in their mid to late 30s. Personally, I find that this adds an interesting dynamic to the characters.

This brings to mind an idea about a game revolving around people in that age-group. Got any ideas in mind?

TheIronRuler:

The Critic:

TheIronRuler:

This brings to mind an idea about a game revolving around people in that age-group. Got any ideas in mind?

What, an RP involving a bunch of thirty-somethings that may or may not be married/have kids? Are you thinking of an "Office Space" RP?

Kidding aside, I heard somewhere that you had plans at one time for a WWII RP? Do you need any help fleshing out that idea? I feel that might fit the bill, if you focus on the right area.

The Critic:

TheIronRuler:

The Critic:

What, an RP involving a bunch of thirty-somethings that may or may not be married/have kids? Are you thinking of an "Office Space" RP?

Kidding aside, I heard somewhere that you had plans at one time for a WWII RP? Do you need any help fleshing out that idea? I feel that might fit the bill, if you focus on the right area.

Yes, very much. You, me, skype. I have a friend that's pushing me to finish this and you could also help if you want to.

TheIronRuler:

The Critic:

TheIronRuler:

Yes, very much. You, me, skype. I have a friend that's pushing me to finish this and you could also help if you want to.

I'd love to help, though I'm not sure of how much use I'll be. Tell me, what did you have in mind?

The Critic:

TheIronRuler:

The Critic:

I'd love to help, though I'm not sure of how much use I'll be. Tell me, what did you have in mind?

*cough* skype *cough*
Well, we're trying to establish how much we're going to draw from reality and how much will be established in fiction. This is an issue that we have struggled with for a while now... Besides that the rest isn't that bad. If we decide to do it historically we can use sources, spot a unit and chart battlegrounds for a specific campaign for it. However if we go the slightly fictional route we can make our own unit, land us in four or five engagements in different fields or cities and call it a day. There are also differences between campaigns - the terrain, for example. Some campaigns will be heavily urban environment based, like the siege of stalingrad and the last defensive stance at Berlin, while others will be in the wild like the Burma campaign between the UK and Japan, the Australian-Japanese fighting near Papoa New-Guinea and the beginning of operation Barbarossa when Hitler's forces entered soviet territory and fought against them mostly in open grounds.

TheIronRuler:

The Critic:

TheIronRuler:

*cough* skype *cough*
Well, we're trying to establish how much we're going to draw from reality and how much will be established in fiction. This is an issue that we have struggled with for a while now... Besides that the rest isn't that bad. If we decide to do it historically we can use sources, spot a unit and chart battlegrounds for a specific campaign for it. However if we go the slightly fictional route we can make our own unit, land us in four or five engagements in different fields or cities and call it a day. There are also differences between campaigns - the terrain, for example. Some campaigns will be heavily urban environment based, like the siege of stalingrad and the last defensive stance at Berlin, while others will be in the wild like the Burma campaign between the UK and Japan, the Australian-Japanese fighting near Papoa New-Guinea and the beginning of operation Barbarossa when Hitler's forces entered soviet territory and fought against them mostly in open grounds.

Sounds like you've put quite a bit of thought into this already. Here, PM me. I'm not very keen on Skype, personally, but PMs, or, if you insist, an IM service, are alright. Let me know what you need. I'll help however I can.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked