Zero Punctuation: Tales of Monkey Island

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

lol yeah there's not much of a difference between the two are there? :P

is it just me??? already last week i was not able to watch the video in full lengh. after few secs it just stops. doesnt matter how many times i refresh the site. but all the other once work just fine, only this and the last one dont want to play.
what could be the problem??? the newest flash player version is installed.

why isnt it working ? all i get is a black screen and a loading wheel and no video =( help please

...you're right, that was a terrible Irish accent.

Every point and click game has it's own twisted logic. While it might seem logical to, say, swim aboard the pirate ship, in a game you have to combine a coathanger, a pineapple and a stick of chewing gum to create pirate repellant to scare away the guard. Or something. So complaining about that is like griping about the clicky thing you use to point at stuff on your computer.

not a particularly good review. take a week off for a change. maybe it will help.

The review was good and the irish accent was bad but funny.

3 more Monkey Island later it'll be like having Zelda or Mario francise XD

Good review, but am I the only one who thinks that Irish accent was just terrible? xD

All of you might think it a poor accent - and you'd be right - but as an Irishman myself (that is, the sort of Irishman who actually lived in Ireland, and not some 1/16th Irish-American idiot who wears stupid hats on St Paddy's Day and occasionally takes a three week trip to Ireland where they will wear green shirts and cream pants, drink nothing but Guinness, and go off to kiss the Blarney Stone and other stupid tourist shit that none of the actual Irish actually do because it's at the top of a fucking mountain with hour-long queues and it's FUCKING COLD - *ahem*), I can say that some rural Irish really do speak like that.

Case in point - my grandfather, who I could never understand for the life of me.

Truer words cannot have been spoken

No one in Ireland has that irritating Hollywood Irish accent!

I'm generally ok with people poking fun at me or Ireland and will have a laugh turning it around with stereotypes from wherever they are from. That said I watched most of this review with my jaw dropped.

He basically dredged up every racist thing that has been said to me and my friends (and yes, I have experienced open racism that was very hurtful on numerous occasions). The relentless barrage of racist remarks didn't let up enough for it to even slightly be a joke. I can only assume that this was not meant in a racist manor as I presume Crawshaw to be better than that. The fact it was meant as a joke doesn't stop it from being hurtful.

I've seen in above comments people saying this being called a bleeding heart with no sense of humor. Well let me put this to you. Is it ok to make gratuitous racist remarks about the Irish just because we are white? Being as steriotypical against the black community would definitely not be received as well as this was.

Obviously there's some Irish twats who have blighted Yahtzee's hometown recently, and this is his revenge.
Or he could quite simply be continuing in his relentless effort to alienate himself and offend every single creed/colour/nationality out there, which I think is actually more likely.

If you're offended by the review, go cry in a corner like the emo you are.
The simple fact that he's done enough research to find out everything he can to offend the Irish is rather impressive, imo.

Cool, i have never heard of the game but the review has made me think its half decent, wouldnt buy it tho

Rorkimaru:
Is it ok to make gratuitous racist remarks about the Irish just because we are white? Being as steriotypical against the black community would definitely not be received as well as this was.

Oh but he already did that, didn't he? See 50 Cent and Far Cry 2 reviews.
Yahtzee has already been labeled as a racist, homophobe, misogynist and a generally misanthropic person.

You forgot to say "ah toi toi toi", but otherwise well done.

I loved Monkey Island 2, back when I only had enough money to play one game at a time. Damn you education and well paid job!

an allright review, although I diden't laugh this time... or maybe I just diden't understand the parts that was meant to be fun...

Oh lawdy, the amount of people that got banned and put on probation is quite amusing. You'd hope that eventually they would get the idea that if you post within a few minutes of the video being uploaded, you get in strife for it. Though wouldn't the devs be able to make a system where it disables commenting for a few minutes?

Dommyboy:
Oh lawdy, the amount of people that got banned and put on probation is quite amusing. You'd hope that eventually they would get the idea that if you post within a few minutes of the video being uploaded, you get in strife for it. Though wouldn't the devs be able to make a system where it disables commenting for a few minutes?

I think that'd be merely delaying the inevitable for 5 minutes...

'First!' posts are a plague on most commenting systems. Never understood the appeal of it, but banning really is the only solution.

Haha....Bejaysus....thats the worst Oirish accent I've ever heard...well apart from the garbled, mangled and generally cringeworthy effort of Tom (yer not in Oirland any more) Cruise from "Far and Away"....yours actually had a spot of Newcastle in it....like Guinness mixed with Newcastle Brown Ale....now there's a scary combination!!!!

Kev....(true Irish man)....from Wexford dont ya know!!!

P.S. I remember the Amiga....I remember the Amstrad 6128 and the 464 before it....ahhhh happy days of endless loading screens and computer whining!!! :o)

P.P.S.....

If you really want to learn how to do an Irish accent really well without even trying....

Just say these 4 words really fast....

Well.....Oil.....Beef......Hooked!!! :o)

I agree with Yahtzee on this: The two first MI's were the best.

But I think he's being too hard on the following MI games.
I thoroughly enjoyed them, even though they sort of screwed up the story a bit, as Yahtzee also mentioned. Sure the ending in MI2 is later explained away with some sort of pox or curse or something, but the newer games still feel a bit tacked-on. The voice acting of Dominic Armato (Guybrush) and Earl Boen (LeChuck), is some of the best I've heard in a game. I wouldn't have liked to have missed those performances, just because of some plot holes. I haven't made up my mind about Adam Harrington, the new voice actor for LeChuck yet.

Yahtzee. Your hilarious Irish accent reminds me of Dougal, from the series Father Ted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmfLS1hWO94
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted

I started laughing than i noticed that i understand every word he said whith the accent^^

oi, i bloody well enjoyed Curse, even though Escape was full of shit.

Haven't played tales yet, but i have played the remake of Secret and i was baffled by the lack of innovation, they had basically just copypasted every single animation and location from the first game and upped the amount of pixels.

oh well

That was just a little bit racist towards Irish people but nonetheless funny.

/snaps fingers\ I was hoping he'd review the Batman game...but oh well. A Monkey Island is fine too, I guess, I just didn't hear about it at all. For a second, I thought he just pulled an old game out, like with silent hill 2. I gotta say, I didn't much care for this review though, it's like half the commentary of the others wrapped in Irish jokes.

Rorkimaru:
Is it ok to make gratuitous racist remarks about the Irish just because we are white?

No, it's OK because people like you write rabid four-paragraph responses to amuse us even further.

ray2k6:
If Yahzee has steam, he could just download Batman: Arkham Asylum on his PC.

For all those not paying attention:

1) Batman: AA only released in Australia today.

2) According to Steam, the PC version doesn't launch here until October.

Wheee.

I remember the Monkey Island games on the Amiga. Never found them funny enough myself (although the sword fighting banter was clever) but had friends who loved them. I also remember playing Kings Quest V that had about 15 disks. Want to know the greater agony than swapping all those disks? Having disk #5 corrupt, making the game unplayable past certain areas.

bobknowsall:

supremeaaron:
I want to say firstly I hate that Hollywood style Irish accent. I have never heard anyone in Ireland speak like that at all. The only thing that was redeemable was unlike most people outside of Ireland you actually know its history so I guess I can respect you for that much, but then you throw in the guinness and the potatoes and the wife beating. 1)Not everyone in Ireland loves guinness (I am Irish and I hate the stuff) 2)So Irish people only had mostly potatoes to eat for a while, why do people keep trying to make jokes about that? 3) The wife beating all I can say is what?

Yahtzee I respect you but this is a low point for you.

Dude, I think you're taking this a little too seriously. He's taking the mick (har har) out of the stereotypical Irishman depicted in the media, so it's not like he's gravely insulting us.

That's what I think it is too, he's taking the piss out of the Hollywood stereotype of the Irish, not actually the Irish themselves.

He's probably just watched some Monkey Dust...

Im Irish and we talk nothing like that.
but i dont see why it would be offensive

This review was.. OK.
I found the humor lack.
I do love ZP, but I was honestly just hoping for some bigger release.

Beneath a Steel Sky.. on floppy

i rest my case.

-edit

for you.. embryo's :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFkCiwivHo

letsnoobtehpwns:
"IT could have saved me time that I could have used to beat my wife" So true!

I can't believe that Yahtzee doesn't like whiskey! Whiskey is one of my favorite alcoholic drinks. Maybe that's just because I'm American.

personely i like rum but im from queensland

As an Irish person I was completely unoffended by the Irish accent and thought it was fucking funny.

man that game was too... the word smart for me man needed to think for that shit thats not my thing man. like you said way bad,
like a drummer thats required to think, its totaly true i dont just just say what comes out man dont think about that stuff go with it
but that game needed you to think man was totaly confuseing

Vanguard_Ex:
Good review, but am I the only one who thinks that Irish accent was just terrible? xD

Seeing as Yahtzee himself admitted how terrible it was, it's safe to say that you aren't.

OT: This review convinced me to purchase Monkey Island sometime soon. Is this wrong?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here