Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead 2 & New Super Mario Bros Wii

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

This site is acting funny.

ANYWAY...

I bet deep down inside, Yahtzee really loves his New Super Mario Bros. Wii. ^^-^^_^^-^^

Cool beans, we got a double header this time.

So, in summary: both games are more of the same. L4D2 an expansion pack more than a game (thereby thoroughly justifying my choice not to buy it until it comes down to $20) and NSMBW being a throwback to ancient 2D Mario days while forcing 4 players on a screen that was never really built to accommodate it.

Oh well, at least we got to remind Valve they're supposed to be making Episode 3. At this rate, there'll be a L4D-XII before we see it.

Damn right about HL ep3 Valve are really starting to PISS ME OFF with this. Looks like Black Messa Source will be done before Valve, and these guys have done it for free! and it looks really sweet.

hell I wouldnt be surprised if Diablo 3 and the third part of StarCraft is out by the time we even get a Teaser

Ok, Rant over.

Low Key:
I like Left 4 Dead 2, although I have admittingly never played the original. Are they really that much alike?

Well in the sense that you are four people killing hordes of zombies in post zombie apocolypse world that has turned many areas into mazes, yes. However, the new characters, voices, weapons, zombies, maps, and improved zombie AI (because the survivor AI is still shit), make the game fresh, new, and much more fun to play. I say "fuck you" to anyone that thinks those changes aren't all that important. I love carrying a sword and cutting down the zombies hordes that apparently tripled in number since L4D1.

Internet Kraken:

Oh yes and Yahtzee complaining about Episode 3 surprised me. Doesn't he hate it when companies just rush to get a new sequel onto the market? So shouldn't he be tolerant of the time it takes for Valve to make Episode 3?

I think it's got more to do with calling Valve on their promise that episodic games would be released in a shorter time period. And it's been 2 years since Ep 2.

I'm glad Yahtzee called Valve out on the whole not getting down to Half-Life 2: Episode 3 thing, because I've been thinking it for ages now. They keep updating games like Team Fortress 2 with superfluous crap (Holy shit, HATS!!! _) and never get down to the one game they've made that I still give a damn about. Seriously guys, stop procrastinating and get it done!

Internet Kraken:
Oh yes and Yahtzee complaining about Episode 3 surprised me. Doesn't he hate it when companies just rush to get a new sequel onto the market? So shouldn't he be tolerant of the time it takes for Valve to make Episode 3?

The key word here is "episodic." Each episode, thus far, has been 4-6 hours maximum. It's been 2 years since the release of the last one and we haven't even seen a screenshot of the third. That's not how episodic gameplay works!

Bowser would own the tank, cause he could GET TO THE CHOPPA!!

Good to hear his voice back to normal.

I thought this was a pretty funny review, but I doubt NSMBWii is as bad as he makes it out to be.

Also Bowser would clearly survive against a Tank. :p

Super Mario is just another Nintendo cash cow.

In fact, i see so few (decent)new nintendo titles im beginning to wonder what they're doing with all of it.

Yhatzee show me a game that is better than hookers and I shall buy two copies. One for me and the other form me.

...Oh my god he DOES look like Dr Phil!

That's the angriest he's sounded in a long time.

I have to admit that I'd be tempted by the Mario thing if it were possible to control it with the proper control pad instead of the waggle stick, but otherwise no.

It isn't working, this makes me sad =[

Great review as always.

Bowser would destroy Tank. Breathe fire on Tank, hide in shell for 40 seconds, dead Tank.

Low Key:
I like Left 4 Dead 2, although I have admittingly never played the original. Are they really that much alike?

no. the gameplay is similar, but everything added makes it feel like a better, more realized game.

you have to forgive yahtzee, he lives in Australia, the evil orphanage for unwanted gamers which forces him to act out against any well made multiplayer games since he cant have the same quality experience we do with them.

meh, you probably won't read this Yahtzee, but I've been playing Silent Hill: Flattered Mammary for a couple of hours and I really enjoy it, so if you get a chance to play it I hope you enjoy it too, though if you're doing a review for it, for the sake of our entertainment I hope you take the piss out of it, which I can already predict that you won't like the "psychological profiling", I've witnessed two so far, and they kinda take you out of the game and are a little gimmicky, but we all knew it would be anyway, right?

Oh, and thank you for ripping apart NewSoupaMarioMeee, Nintendo has seriously lost touch with gamers, not like it's stopping them from making a ton of money off of it

Uh, yeah. Good show as always. Left 4 Dead 2 did feel like an expansion pack, but wasn't anymore or less tedious than the first one. New Super Mario Bros, yeah I kind of knew is was going to be a replay of past games. I guess I need to be smacked for encouraging such behavior. It's really not bad, but is basically a replay of every other Mario side scroller, particularly Mario 3.

You hit the nail on the head about Rochelle in L4D2. No defining characteristics whatsoever.

And am I the only one not that bothered about Half-Life 2: Episode 3? Yeah Valve have completely missed the point of episodic gaming, but honestly, whilst Half-Life 2 and Ep 1 & 2 were fantastic I don't really care that much if it gets delayed to 2012 or something.

AMCization:
It isn't working, this makes me sad =[

There is a website somewhere that has these videos on it, i used it for the couple weeks when they stopped working on this website.

Sorry i can't remember the name but i do know i used google.

I loved the way he started sounding very pissed off about halfway through...
Made me want to kick nintendo's greedy ass.

thecaptainof:

I have to admit that I'd be tempted by the Mario thing if it were possible to control it with the proper control pad instead of the waggle stick, but otherwise no.

Actually you just turn the "waggle stick" sideways and use it like the old school Nintendo controllers.

Dear God - what sort of sick country doesn't have a McDonalds that sells McNuggets?!

If Bowser's been defeated multiple times by a short, stout italian plumber, then I'm sure there wouldn't be much contest against somethign that can take multiple shotguns shells and molotovs to the face.

I think the L4D 2 but Nintendo needs to get new ideas but I've gotta agree on "wheres the HL episode 3?" thingy...

but great episode again yathzee.

I totally agree with you on Mario Bros. Nintendo just keep popping out the same old shit again and again, they have no imagination. The Wii is shit anyway.

Mmmm, Cheeseburger Spider,

Hmm, I actually thought he gave L4D2 a pretty decent review (for Yahtzee), especially considering he got the no gore crap version.

"The general feel of L4D is unchanged"

HELL YEAH! That's a bad thing? I swear if Valve ever F--k's up that "feel" I'll lose it.

Bowser vs. Tank well the tank would probably win a fight but bowser can drive go-karts and rape princesses so i think he wins overall.

Hmmm Bowser can breathe fire and stomp a lot. The tank can stomp a lot and jump really far.... Well being able to jump really far has defeated Bowser for 20 years so the Tank would obviously win.

Both of these games bought for Christmas already.

Never played L4D1 so it seems like I won't miss anything other than story.

Never played the original Mario Bros. games for more than two minutes a pop at a friend's house, I look forward to it.

Great Episode as always. I didnt think 2 in 1 would have gone as well as this, but, is flowed nicely, and was hilarious!

Yeah, when he mentioned the third and fourth players were two Toads the first thought that came to my head was "What? What? Is it really possible for an entire dev team to be that uncreative?" I can brainstorm for thirty seconds and come up with some cooler ideas than just slapping on two generic red-shirts.

I think he pretty much hit the nail on the hammerhead when he said Mario team are deliberately opposed to new ideas, though. I remember hearing that when Nintendo asked Miyamoto to make a new franchise he went all sad and said "But I want to make a Mario game." GOD FORBID you challenge your creativity right man?

Wow. Yahtzee's certainly mad at Nintendo. Mad enough that I didn't quite get if L4D2 is actually good or not. I've been on the fence for buying it for a few weeks. I played the demo, it was fun. I didn't own the first one but I was already under the impression that they are very much alike.
So for someone who didn't have the original, is L4D2 worth buying? Yahtzee played a multiplayer game so I guess that's at least a few points+.

Salem_Wolf:

Edit: You'd think it'd be obvious that anyone who comments without seeing the review is suspended, why don't people realize that? Wait, don't answer that, stupidity has no clear reasoning.

It's fun for me and Furburt. We place bets on how many will get banned each week!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here