Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

This wasn't a very good review. You forgot to mention very important aspects of the game:

1. You can view other people's deaths
2. You can play coop with up to two friends
3. You can invade another person's world to hunt and kill them

I'm sure you could have made funny remarks on these things. It's a shame you gave up on this game without first trying all three of these features.

How very odd, I had just started playing this myself. I wouldnt call the game hard, more unforgiving. It doesnt let stupidity pass without a large amount of punishment. Such as running foolishly out into an open area, whereupon you are promptly barbequed by a dragon. The game forces you to pay attention, you cant just run around and expect to live.

I liked the bit when the imp gets smashed with a giant hammer. Best review in a while.

Twinky:
This wasn't a very good review. You forgot to mention very important aspects of the game:

I'm sure you could have made funny remarks on these things. It's a shame you gave up on this game without first trying all three of these features.

Yeah, umm, Yahtzee never (EVER) plays online multiplayer.

wow, what a shitty game. :)
play some old dos game instead. for example system shock 1.

Never heard of this game, don't want to buy it now. You do your job well Yahtzee

bachterman:
wow, what a shitty game. :)
play some old dos game instead. for example system shock 1.

System Shock 1 was a DOS game?

Okay, say what you will about the game, but that review was funny.

I honestly feel the same way about the final product. I didn't really see much of a point in the thing when I tried it at a friend's place. It seemed to have plenty of interesting ideas for the multiplayer side, but it also seemed to not give a crap whether they were useful or not. At one point we fell down a botomless pit while trying to read a waring on the floor that said "botomless pit here". Twice.

It felt like the kind of game that has lots of viable innovation wrapped around a less viable gameplay concept. It's probably the kind of game that, when people in ten years are trying to determine who was the first to come up with some thing or other, will be used to disprove internet nerds. Like, you know, when people say Gears of War came up with cover-based shooting and then you get to point at WinBack and feel clever.

TimeLord:
Never heard of this game, don't want to buy it now. You do your job well Yahtzee

Agreed, and dont let any of the people here saying your a bad reviewer get you down! They just dont like broad generaliations in a review!

Noelveiga:
Okay, say what you will about the game, but that review was funny.

I honestly feel the same way about the final product. I didn't really see much of a point in the thing when I tried it at a friend's place. It seemed to have plenty of interesting ideas for the multiplayer side, but it also seemed to not give a crap whether they were useful or not. At one point we fell down a botomless pit while trying to read a waring on the floor that said "botomless pit here". Twice.

It felt like the kind of game that has lots of viable innovation wrapped around a less viable gameplay concept. It's probably the kind of game that, when people in ten years are trying to determine who was the first to come up with some thing or other, will be used to disprove internet nerds. Like, you know, when people say Gears of War came up with cover-based shooting and then you get to point at WinBack and feel clever.

Yay making other people feel inferior so we can sleep at night, us assholes!

Great review, Yahtzee.

Demon's Souls is just one of those games that was made for making the wall and your PS3 controller get together on a more frequent basis. It's not an RPG; it's a relationship healer.

Now I want to play it... badly... but I don't have a PS3 and don't intend on buying one :/

Btw. if you want to play a REALLY hard game try Battletoads for the NES or SNES...

ace_of_something:
I really like this game but starting out is unreasonably difficult unless you read the instructions from cover to cover. Otherwise you have no idea how to level up and you'll be rediculiously weak for the part with the dragon, dogs, and elites that he mentioned.

The game is agonizingly hard until you understand everything you can do. Which juding by this review he didn't know.
In fairness though once you do understand everything it's still really really hard.

That was my only real fault with the game. The fact that NOTHING is explained to you except for the basic movement. Wich made the first part of the game an absolute bitch.

But when I restarted the game after 30+ hours of playing, the first segment was a walk in the park.

Zerocyde:
It reminds me of this game...

http://robotchicken.wikia.com/wiki/The_Memory_Game

Sounds absolutely terrible.

LMAO That is exactaly what Demon's Souls is, but I like it. It's an aquired taste and Yahtzee's experiance is exactly what I thinking the first time I enter a new level.

Twinky:

Yeah but from his "Review" he never noticed or went back to the Nexus after defeating Phalanx so you can't invade yet or possibly get help from others (Not sure if you need your own Blue Stone to beable to get help or not.) but Yahtzee's mentioned his online connection isn't that grat so maybe he didn't notice if he was Online* in D.S. while in online mode no chance to get help or View thier deaths... well he could see deaths in the 1st region.

* Sometimes when in online mode you'll lose server connection or something and notes/phatoms won't beable to appear or be able to be written.

I'm considering renting this from Gamefly, but I'm afraid I'll destroy the disk. Then, I'll get charged. Maybe I should buy it just so I can have the pure, guilt-free pleasure of destroying the disk intentionally.

Huh, been planning on getting the PS3 soon enough, but not quite sure what to get.

Thank you, Yahtzee, for turning away from this game, I would have tried it, but I truly
can't deal with frustratingly hard games like that

As usual, I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with Yatzee on this one (hilarious as it was! bravo!)

Sorry peoples, this game rocks. You actually have to stick with it, and learn from you mistakes, and learn well, instead of just running forward mashing the 'i am a mighty slayer of splatty things' like all other frigging melee based games seem to have now. This game treats you like a veteran Halo player treats 'n00bs', 'cause you are to D'S S.

Haha it made me laugh to see Yahtzee fall for all of the common mistakes for this game. I wonder if he realized that the game was trying to break the mold of all other western RPGs by punishing you if you followed the "generic rules". The problem with reviewing this game is that time is required to learn all of its little tricks and turns, then thats when "The Real Demon's Souls Starts Here". I have a feeling if he had the time to play it, he may begin to like it. I do agree with him on the character creation though. God it took me half a bloody hour to create somebody without fish lips.

this video is why n00bs shouldn't be allowed to review games... stick to the storylines yahtzee, leave the gameplay to us people with no lives to plough through, one broken controller after another...

must say, a pre boss check point would have been nice at 1-2
eventually gave up as it was getting tedious dodging dragons n killing two blue eyed knights just to die quickly everytime

so upon leaving 1-2 until i was stronger i moved on to 2-1, felt a big sense of achievement beating the boss, then died in 2-2 faster than i care to mention. gave up on the game n sulked for a few weeks.

now i'm leaving 2-2 until i'm stronger and attempting 3-1 with a new determination after my break from it
this game is not for the meek

Hmm, I really thought he would have done Borderlands by now, but whatever, great review as always.

OM GROM GROM indeed! :D

katsabas:
I liked the bit when the imp gets smashed with a giant hammer. Best review in a while.

Twinky:

Yeah, umm, Yahtzee never (EVER) plays online multiplayer.

I didn't know that Yahtzee didn't play multiplayer games. Even so, he was participating in a multiplayer environment by reading and writing those messages anyway. Having another player invade your world and hunt you down is like having a special random boss appear. He could pretend it's an NPC! It's an integral part of the game, and sadly he did not explore or comment on it =(

I'm a little worried about the whole "No Pausing" thing.. I understand not allowing pausing when menu navigating to keep the difficulty up, but odds are I'm going to be interrupted at least a few times by other, more pressing matters while playing this. Are there ANY parts in this game where you can take a breather or something, or do I just have to hope that I'm never interrupted anywhere outside the beginning of a level?

This solidifies my stance of 'why bother' with Demon'ssssss Soulsssss.

Best review in a while. I love when He reviews these kinda games

yourbeliefs:
I'm a little worried about the whole "No Pausing" thing.. I understand not allowing pausing when menu navigating to keep the difficulty up, but odds are I'm going to be interrupted at least a few times by other, more pressing matters while playing this. Are there ANY parts in this game where you can take a breather or something, or do I just have to hope that I'm never interrupted anywhere outside the beginning of a level?

The main HUB is a place called the Nexus and you will return here after questing. There are no enemies here (unless you make some :P). You can break there. If your midway through a quest though fear not, the enemies do not respawn untill you die so you can always backpedal a little as the enemies have surprisingly short sight. Also the "checkpoints" that Yahtzee talked about, enemies can't go near them (apart from a select few including Black Phantoms) so you can always go back there if your truly worried about bieng attacked.

The best ZP for a long time. I was crying with laughter. I'm glad to see that it is on the way back up.

Ssssssssssince I don't have a PSsssssssssss3, I probably won't get to play thisssssssss game, but the review was assssssssss hilariousssssss assssss alwayssss.

Don't know about cowpats, but Sussex is a shithole.

you people are wusses, i already beat this game and NG+ is like trying to smash a concrete wall with a twig

yes its a challenge but thats the fun of it

and i know yahtzee never does online, but he should have as online makes the game MUCH easier

Bravo, Yahtzee. Someone needed to take this game down a peg. Everyone I know has been recommending it like it came with free fellatio, but it doesn't. And while it is exactly as difficult as people describe, it is for stupid reasons.

What a horrible game.

I'd rather slit my wrists than play it, although the experience would be pretty much the same.

This game really isn't as hard as he makes it seem. Also, dodge does work I don't know what yahtzee's malfunction was. It is at the very least worth a rental. Bad review but it did make me laugh because it was very frustrating at the beginning. Probably already mentioned but on the first level, not the level where you end up facing a boss you cant beat, there are 2 rings you should get. 1 makes your soul form health 75% of max instead of 50% and the other ups your carry weight. Have fun.

Awesome! I was hoping he'd review this sometime before the year's up.

I don't think I had nearly enough trouble as Yahtzee did though. I honestly didn't think it was really all that hard.

Lucane:

Twinky:

Yeah but from his "Review" he never noticed or went back to the Nexus after defeating Phalanx so you can't invade yet or possibly get help from others (Not sure if you need your own Blue Stone to beable to get help or not.) but Yahtzee's mentioned his online connection isn't that grat so maybe he didn't notice if he was Online* in D.S. while in online mode no chance to get help or View thier deaths... well he could see deaths in the 1st region.

* Sometimes when in online mode you'll lose server connection or something and notes/phatoms won't beable to appear or be able to be written.

If he was able to see the white ghosts I don't see why he would not be able to actively play with other players. I can see how he could have missed the stones that allowed him to interact with other players, but the game play on the tendency of RPG players to interact with NPCs, assuming that every player will eventually speak to the girl again (especially since it is through her that you level up).

Actually sounds kind of fun. If only for the fact that it pissed off Yahtee in a different way from how other games usually piss him off. :D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here