Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Shamus Young:

Jandau:
The game cashed in. While that's nice, I still don't consider it a significant game, or at least not as significant as some other titles this year...

And I think treating it as an invalid choice is completely unreasonable. You didn't just imply that there were better choices, you acted like it was completely unreasonable to include a game which...

Brace for all caps mode:

OUTSOLD EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME, BOOK, MUSIC, AND MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUMAN RACE.

End all caps mode.

Second-guessing the list is part of the conversation here, and by all means offer your own suggestions. There were lots of great titles this year and it will be interesting to see which ones are still being played five years from now. But the position that MW2 shouldn't be considered is simply untenable.

Oh, consider it all you want. I just stated that I wouldn't pick it and that I was suprised that you did. Also, I stated that I don't think that making money makes it a significant contributor to gaming . It does make it a significant contributor to Activision's endless vault of gold, but to gaming as a medium it (in my opinion) didn't contribute anything, and arguably set a few things back. It's like saying that Transformers 2 was a significant movie because it did well on the box office...

Also, I did suggest an alternative - Demon's Souls. A great game that tries new concepts in the realm of online gaming and multiplayer. Cooperative and competitive play meshing seamlessly in a challenging game that breathes fresh air into the Action RPG genre, being both widely critically acclaimed and loved by the players, without any stigma of controversy regarding its content or developmet.

But if monetary success is the criteria you want to go with, then sure, slightly spiffied up version of Modern Warfare 1 fueled by an ungodly marketing campaign and hype, adding another yet another specimen into the already overpopulated FPS genre is a perfectly fine choice...

Pong is superior to MW2

CantFaketheFunk:

Shamus Young:

Jandau:
The game cashed in. While that's nice, I still don't consider it a significant game, or at least not as significant as some other titles this year...

And I think treating it as an invalid choice is completely unreasonable. You didn't just imply that there were better choices, you acted like it was completely unreasonable to include a game which...

Brace for all caps mode:

OUTSOLD EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME, BOOK, MUSIC, AND MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUMAN RACE.

End all caps mode.

Second-guessing the list is part of the conversation here, and by all means offer your own suggestions. There were lots of great titles this year and it will be interesting to see which ones are still being played five years from now. But the position that MW2 shouldn't be considered is simply untenable.

Bitter PC gamers, of course.

[/Sigh, that was a joke.]

I'm going to take that joke seriously for a second because...well Andy Chalk had an article about the fact that now we can actually get a message across to the developers. For better or worse really. L4D2 boycott and the MW2 backlash is a little more significant than I thought.

Waste of toilet paper list for one reason: You missed EverQuest. There is no WoW without EverCrack, and WoW is as much derived from EQ as that game was derived from Dungeons and Dragons. Love your work, this list is a steaming pile of shit.

Dirty Apple:

Zenode:

Greyfox105:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still tat good at it... or could even find it...
Makes you realise how much has happened when you see that timeline...

As in the old arcade game?

You do realise that you can't "Beat it"?

The old cabinet style arcade games can be beat. Watch the documentary The King of Kong: A Fist Full of Quarters. The doc itself takes some liberties with its subjects, but it shows what the end of "King Kong" looks like.

I have watched that documentary, and yes i realise what the "end" of it looks like, it just ends with a random wipe or as is better known the killscreen.

"Beating it" for a game for me means you have to finish the end level, and since this isn't possible in Donkey Kong then there is no way to finish it. I understand where you are coming from though

You know, as soon as I saw this list, I knew there were going to be people on here going "MEWTWO!? OH NOES!!!". It's getting pathetic.

Here's to (almost) four decades of gaming, and here's to another four to come, I hope it's only going to get better!

Chipperz:
You know, as soon as I saw this list, I knew there were going to be people on here going "MEWTWO!? OH NOES!!!". It's getting pathetic.

Here's to (almost) four decades of gaming, and here's to another four to come, I hope it's only going to get better!

Ill Drink soda to that!

I like the list, my only problem was that Ocarina of Time wasn't on it.
But thats just my LoZ fanboy talking.
Here is to another year!
Thank you Escapist Staff and my fellow escapist for making this the great site it is!

Pugiron:
Waste of toilet paper list for one reason: You missed EverQuest. There is no WoW without EverCrack, and WoW is as much derived from EQ as that game was derived from Dungeons and Dragons. Love your work, this list is a steaming pile of shit.

While I certainly disagree with the "steaming pile of shit" crack, I agree that if you were going to historical significance, the game that pretty much gave birth to MMOs has to make the list.

Covarr:
Every game on the list from 1991 on is a PC game, and quite a few of them are RTS. Huh.

Do you honestly believe that Duke Nukem 3D is more historically significant than Super Mario 64? What about Final Fantasy VII, which basically popularized JRPGs in the west like no game before it?

P.S. Thanks

Basically when people make a list like this, they will never ever win. As we will never all agree!

EverQuest? The game that gave birth to MMOs? Hardly. It just popularized them.

The game that gave birth to them would be Essex MUD, aka MUD1. 1978. The first online multiplayer game.

Jandau:
Nice comic, but out of all the stuff that came out in 2009, the best you could come up with was Modern Warfare 2? A game that did nothing to advance its genre and inovate it in any way? Kinda seems out of place...

Yea I was playing it yesterday and I noticed something, the sounds are the same since CoD 2!!! It's the same recycled game over and over, it just looks prettier now, and not by much.

CantFaketheFunk:

I am a PC gamer, but I am not bitter. Nor will I be held responsible for the forthcoming arson of your shed in your backyard. I was in Cleveland at the time. Honest! o.o

Vault boy Eddie:

Jandau:
Nice comic, but out of all the stuff that came out in 2009, the best you could come up with was Modern Warfare 2? A game that did nothing to advance its genre and inovate it in any way? Kinda seems out of place...

Yea I was playing it yesterday and I noticed something, the sounds are the same since CoD 2!!! It's the same recycled game over and over, it just looks prettier now, and not by much.

Which makes me giggle, with all the crying about Left 4 Dead 2, I haven't heard one person complain that MW2 is really nothing more than an expansion. WHICH IT IS!
I for one find your list relevant, Shamus.(Except Goldeneye should have been there for 97, but that's just a small itty bitty point) And I would like to challenge the detractors to share their own lists of a game from each year for the last 40. It is easy to tear down something, why not show some stuff and build something instead?

Onyx Oblivion:
We have come a long way...

Also, holy shit. Morrowind. It's 7 fucking years old. And 7 + 1330 = 1337.

See the conspiracy?

You know it feels like only yesterday that I was reading an article in Dragon magazine about Bethesda's upcoming fantasy game with an innovative new construction set. Has it really been seven years since then? I feel old now.

Zenode:

Greyfox105:

Zenode:

Greyfox105:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still that good at it... or could even find it...
Makes you realise how much has happened when you see that timeline...

As in the old arcade game?

You do realise that you can't "Beat it"?

No, the one on the Gameboy. Arcade machines are pretty rare around where I live.

lol ok then, because i had a massive facepalm moment when i thought you were referring to the one on the old Arcade machines haha.

I remember Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, that shit was challenging...come to think of it, most Donkey Kong games have been pretty hard

I remember the SNES one being challenging, but not that challenging.

Really wish Nintendo could stop releasing Mario games long enough to release a new old DK game.

aw thats nice i like it

Shimeru:

The game that gave birth to them would be Essex MUD, aka MUD1. 1978. The first online multiplayer game.

EQ is still going though. And still getting expansions. Or are we going to say that MewTwo invented FPS's now? I thought we'd got over that with HALO.

2010 is gonna be apocalypse, you could easily pick 20 groudquaking games(and that is only for PC), but nobody has time to play that much stuff!

I'm going to be that guy and say that Mass Effect came out in 2008, not 2007. Personally I would have put TF2 in 2007 and Gears of War 2 in 2008 purely because of how it popularized additional content like Horde, Nazi Zombie, Spec Ops etc. Either that or Braid for bringing Arty/Indie games to a greater audience, myself included.

Good list.

CantFaketheFunk:

Shamus Young:

Jandau:

Brace for all caps mode:

End all caps mode.

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

If you don't think being one of the most successful game of all time is significant then you can also look at the controversey it caused, It was mentioned in the houses of parliament, while we have troops in Iraq, are in a recession, are losing troops daily in Afghanistan, are angry as hell with MPs fiddling their expenses... It's not like it's been a quiet year so someone dropped it in conversation.

How about one of the first mainstream FPS titles to ditch dedicated servers? I think it deserved the mention.

My addition to the conversation comes during 1992. Was Alone in the Dark really more influential than Dune II: Battle for Arrakis? That was the birth of RTS. No one had micro before that point.

MW2? Oh, no no! It's the same thing as MW1. And there's no BIG difference between other shooters.
You can't say that something is ''historically significant'' only because it's popular. It's like saying that Jonas Brothers and Twilight it historically significant and should be remembered as much as ..eh.. Beatles and Citizen Kane.

It's not just about selling a lot, folks. It's about selling more than any other form of entertainment media. We've been heading in that direction for a while now, but this is the first time it's actually happened. Sure, other games, movies, and books will likely supplant the accomplishment, but nevertheless, it's a watershed moment for gaming, whether you like the title in question or not.

Onyx Oblivion:
We have come a long way...

Also, holy shit. Morrowind. It's 7 fucking years old. And 7 + 1330 = 1337.

See the conspiracy?

No, actually it's 8 years old now :0

I feel old... Morrowind is my favourite game...

Choosing Prince of Persia over Tetris personally miffs me quite a bit and I also have my fair share of doubts for 2005-2009 games. But other than that, it's a good list.

The most important question to ask is: Will they remain great games in, say, 10-20 years or utterly forgotten? Only time and the benefit of hindsight will really tell whether these games were really all that great or just competent.

Now, was 2006 just completely devoid of other good games, or do I just completely not grasp the significance of Half-Life 2: Episode 1?

It was a decent game, not as geat as HL2 but not bad in any reguards... but I have a hard time believing nothing better/more significant came out then...

LOL it seems to be that things have come full circle today with only a small number of meaningful titles released at the same time (holiday season) and surrounded by hundreds of pieces of shovelware.

oooh that was nice and reminds me i have to play more games!

awesome, now you'll make us feel old. but no, this is really cool and glad you made it. imagine how big it will be in the year 2020. that would be fun.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Shimeru:

EQ is still going though. And still getting expansions. Or are we going to say that MewTwo invented FPS's now? I thought we'd got over that with HALO.

Sure. And it wouldn't have been a bad choice, but if you're sticking to one MMO, either the first (MUD1) or the most popular (WoW) would be the more obvious option.

Although Everquest was the first widespread 3D one, which'd be another point in its favor.

Tetris is probably the biggest missing game from the list. I suppose King's Quest was there to represent the adventure genre, which was big for a while.

The Last Express is another big one as far as innovation goes, but it'd be up against Fallout, which is a far less obscure choice.

And another personal favorite, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Really Long Subtitle, was a pretty broad sandbox-style RPG with multiple paths and a good deal of customization, a year before Morrowind. But the same year as GTA3, which is again less obscure.

Lots of FPSes in the more recent years, come to think of it.

Great time line man. I forgot Mass Effect was made in 2007. I enjoyed reading it as I do nearly all of Stolen Pixels. Happy New Year.

Every game on the list is historically significant. Sure he could have added more, but then it wouldn't be a comic strip... it would be closer to a novel.

Shamus Young:

The Bible would like to have a word with you about the bolded section.

If I may offer up my personal alternative, though, Halo Wars. I know I will likely get flamed for this, but at least hear me out and read what I'm about to say.

Halo Wars was the last game of Ensemble Studios, developer of the massively acclaimed Age of Empires series. Losing a name like that is surely a significant occurrence, and is something many gamers lament from this year.

Secondly, Halo Wars was also a return of the series to its RTS roots. Again, the return of a series as well known as Halo to the roots it started off at is, to me at least, another significant accomplishment.

Thirdly, Halo Wars is among, if not still the best selling RTS on the consoles. Surely this is in itself another significant event.

That's my take on it anyways. I know I'm not liable to change your mind, but hey, take this for what it's worth.

kool i like it, shows how much its changed since pong...

Good shout outs, man. Those are some pretty good reps of the years.

I was so sure that on 2009, you would show Wii Sport Resort and write WTF with big letters.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here