The 2009 List of Awesome

Pages PREV 1 2

Nurb:

Well, for example, you had dragon age, who were developing content like the warden's keep, which was developed at the same time as the game, witheld, and released as DLC for a full priced game. Not to mention the armor and item pack, and any in the future that basicly make a lot of loot worthless because they have to make super-items to justify paying real money for small digital content. Or EA, who witheld items and towns from their full priced game to fill their online store with. It's being too greedy.

I think you're very ignorant about how software development actually works, and being a bit unnecessarily paranoid about things. There comes a point in the making of the game where you can't add anything else to what's going to be on the disc, because if you did you'd never get finished. After that cutoff, though, people can still design content.

This post by Virgil explains it very well.

I also think you might be confusing "evolution" with "gimmickry"; Movies had sensurround, smell-o-vision, and still have 3D, where studios had to make parts of their movie play to the gimmick, which tends to be rather obvious, such as seeing objects or characters swoosh at the screen and make you say "oh, this was made for 3D" while you watch it... polar express is a prime example. They are gimmicks because they don't make the movie any better, they just change the way you look at it, and in the end a lame movie is a lame movie no matter how much it reaches out at you.

Counterpoint: Avatar. The 3D is hardly 'gimmicky,' it's used to create genuine depth of field and make the movie feel more immersive, meaning that you get drawn in to the virtual world of Pandora that they've spent such effort creating.

When used poorly, it's a gimmick. When used well, it's evolution. Don't tell me that you never wanted to, say, have a proper lightsaber duel in a Star Wars game, right?

Motion control removes the controller as a barrier for access to gaming, and my parents will gladly have a round of Wii Sports Resort and enjoy the hell out of it. They'll probably enjoy Natal, too. It's getting people gaming that were never gaming before, which is an evolution.

CantFaketheFunk:

I think you're very ignorant about how software development actually works, and being a bit unnecessarily paranoid about things. There comes a point in the making of the game where you can't add anything else to what's going to be on the disc, because if you did you'd never get finished. After that cutoff, though, people can still design content.

This post by Virgil explains it very well.

it's not a developmental issue, its a business issue; DLC makes the publisher more money by spreading out smaller 4-15 dollar purchases over a period of time than they do by releasing the traditional 30 dollar expansion pack, and it quickly became abused.

I'm sure you remember it starting with the "horse armor" fiasco and it just snowballed from there.

Counterpoint: Avatar. The 3D is hardly 'gimmicky,' it's used to create genuine depth of field and make the movie feel more immersive, meaning that you get drawn in to the virtual world of Pandora that they've spent such effort creating.

When used poorly, it's a gimmick. When used well, it's evolution. Don't tell me that you never wanted to, say, have a proper lightsaber duel in a Star Wars game, right?

Motion control removes the controller as a barrier for access to gaming, and my parents will gladly have a round of Wii Sports Resort and enjoy the hell out of it. They'll probably enjoy Natal, too. It's getting people gaming that were never gaming before, which is an evolution.

Avatar is obviously the exception, not the rule.

As for a 'proper' lightsaber duel? absolutely! but the Wii doesn't give a proper lightsaber experience... The Force Unleashed had combos incredibly difficult to pull off without a controller, and the Wii Resort fencing which just ends up with people swinging wildly.

Why doesn't it work? like I said, it needs sensory feedback.. you need to feel some weight so you can swing it in the right manner, and you need to feel it hit something to allow defense and parry. Weapon battles need finnese, and without feeling anything, you just reduce everything to loose and imprecise arm waggling.

So I repeat: Until we can FEEL something, motion control is a gimmick.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here