Review: Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I've had SoulSilver for about a week now, it's been wonderful.

I was on the fence because I just got Pokemon Platinum last month, but what the hell. I want to be able to get all the limited-time bonus stuff I can for this, so I'm ready and waiting for the the Yellow Forest next Wednesday!

I plan on buying these. Both of them. I don't care if the sales guy stares at me. I'm gonna' get 'em and I'm gonna' catch 'em.

shirin238:
hmmz, i;m totally getting this :D now I only pray the sales person won't laugh at me, or maybe I can convince a kid to buy it for me, I'll have to figure something out in the store...

If someone laughed at you for buying an actual Pokemon game, I'd have to say they aren't a real gamer.

they need to re-release yellow ^_^ i would love to see a more 3D Pikachu ^_^

the name could be Thunder Yellow?..Lightning Yellow?

help me out here lol

are the remakes adding the new pokemon, or are they only using the pokemon from the original games?

arc1991:

help me out here lol

There would be no point. All the features of yellow are in HG and SS, except for a few pokemon, and of course, Pikachu being your starter. You can get any of the pokemon to follow you around, so it's essentially the same thing.

Cpu46:

shirin238:
hmmz, i;m totally getting this :D now I only pray the sales person won't laugh at me, or maybe I can convince a kid to buy it for me, I'll have to figure something out in the store...

Its pokemon, i doubt he would laugh at you. Im in college and im picking up my copy this weekend.

I'm 26 and I'll probably be picking up Soul Silver tomorrow :D

StriderShinryu:
Just one question.. does this version of the game have Mankey in it? For some reason I've always loved Mankey. Heh

Every version of every game has Mankey in it. And Zubat. And Geodude. And some retarded Rattata offshoot.

OT: Nice review, but there was no need to convince me, Mr. Funk. My pre-order just arrived.

ethan22122:
are the remakes adding the new pokemon, or are they only using the pokemon from the original games?

Not every pokemon will be availably from the start, but they can be found later in the game, and they can also be traded with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, plus there's also a Pal Park located... somewhere, so you can still transfer you li'l buddies from the GBA games.

I thought about buying this, but my copy of silver still works (unlike red) so I am reluctant to get, but I still might. The big reason I haven't bought a pokemon sense silver is that others my age weren't, but know I have friends that love pokemon so its cool.

Mako SOLDIER:

Cpu46:

shirin238:

Its pokemon, i doubt he would laugh at you. Im in college and im picking up my copy this weekend.

I'm 26 and I'll probably be picking up Soul Silver tomorrow :D

22 here, getting mine tommorow as well. I am not ashamed.

Daystar Clarion:

arc1991:

help me out here lol

There would be no point. All the features of yellow are in HG and SS, except for a few pokemon, and of course, Pikachu being your starter. You can get any of the pokemon to follow you around, so it's essentially the same thing.

bu..but Pikachu O.O

i dunno i just think it would be fun ^_^ plus you can get Bulbasaur Squirtle and Charmander pretty easily. im pretty sure they are absent from the new games right?

and is the Hoan region still available in these games? or is it just Jhoto?

Doesn't come out in the UK until tomorrow... And despite the fact that a minor screw-up led to it being delivered to my front door today, I was asleep, and hence couldn't collect it :(
Quick question - can you trade with diamond etc... straight away, or is it like the time machine from the original gold and silver?

arc1991:

Daystar Clarion:

arc1991:

help me out here lol

bu..but Pikachu O.O

i dunno i just think it would be fun ^_^ plus you can get Bulbasaur Squirtle and Charmander pretty easily. im pretty sure they are absent from the new games right?

You can get first 3 generation starters in HG/SS. They are rewards for talking to certain people in the game.

Onyx Oblivion:
Games getter better every time. This is no different.

Agree with this, although I thought leaf green was the peak in the series thus far (Pearl was awesome I just liked the extra islands). However I was almost overcome with the news of silver remakes and have my winging it's way to me in the post as we speak.

Going to be epic, and time for Chikorita's (that's right Chikorita) reign of adorable terror begin

J03bot:
Doesn't come out in the UK until tomorrow... And despite the fact that a minor screw-up led to it being delivered to my front door today, I was asleep, and hence couldn't collect it :(
Quick question - can you trade with diamond etc... straight away, or is it like the time machine from the original gold and silver?

I think straight away from what I gather since diamond and pearl have identical rosters with heart and soul. Some new items in soul (I assume there may be some) will not be able to be traded back.

I'm considering getting a DS just for this game ahahah, I feel all nostalgic after playing Pokemon Red & Blue for many late nights when I was a kid.

Heppenfeph:

arc1991:

Daystar Clarion:

arc1991:

help me out here lol

bu..but Pikachu O.O

You can get first 3 generation starters in HG/SS. They are rewards for talking to certain people in the game.

woop! first game im getting for my DS then!! =D hmmm soul silver or heart gold

*thinks*

white whale bird thing, or sparkly rainbow bird =\

Jonci:
Yeah, damn that Youngster Joey. When is he going to challenge me to a rematch? I don't care that you think your rattata is special. I stomped its butt and I'd do it again.

I wonder if there's a way to show him an awesome Bidoof. That would probably blow his mind :D

OT: I'll probably get this sometime next week. What version I get depends on which one my friend gets

arc1991:

Heppenfeph:

arc1991:

Daystar Clarion:

arc1991:

help me out here lol

bu..but Pikachu O.O

*thinks*

lol also the legendaries from Ruby/Sapphire in HG/SS as well. They are game dependant also.

Must... resist... urge... to buy the same game again for the sixth time. Will... weakening. So much elite four grind... but so much good gameplay... must... not... ahhhhhh!

Eh, maybe I'll buy it. Somehow, even though its the same game each time, it hasn't bored me yet. Still, I never finished Diamond.

Enigmers:
I pre-oprdered SoulSilver and have played about 17 hours worth of it, it's awesome.

Youngster Joey keeps calling me about his goddamn Rattatta, like it's in the top percentage of Rattatta or something.

I like that certain trainers will give you evolution stones via phone call (a la Pokemon Crystal) because otherwise they're tough to get.

Youngster Joey should get hit by a bus, or assassinated by Team Rocket.

oh yah i got it on opening day and im already in kanto

Heppenfeph:

arc1991:

Heppenfeph:

arc1991:

Daystar Clarion:

arc1991:

help me out here lol

bu..but Pikachu O.O

*thinks*

lol also the legendaries from Ruby/Sapphire in HG/SS as well. They are game dependant also.

I think i just jizzed o.O

*thinks long and hard*

right yep, getting soul silver and it's gonna be my first DS game XD

I bought a whole new DS just for this game

and because my first one was broken...

Jonci:
Yeah, damn that Youngster Joey. When is he going to challenge me to a rematch? I don't care that you think your rattata is special. I stomped its butt and I'd do it again.

But, but, it's in like the top percentage of rattata ya know?

Crystal was my absolute favorite in the series with GSC being my favorite gen so I'm loving these games. Got Soul Silver on launch day (the first game that I've gotten on launch day) and have been playing it since.

With all the added content I expect to easily pass my approximately 366 hours of combined gameplay from the GSC generation (226 of those are just Crystal).

The one thing that take away from the nostalgia (for me at least) is the colors. I love seeing Johto in full color like this but when I walk into a town I'm more like "Oh... it's this town..." instead of "Wow! It's this town!" It's just the better graphic but it just doesn't feel right. Love the game anyway though.

I want to see what the Prima Pokedex will look like. The Pokemon Platinum guide was the size of a freaking phonebook. I'd just like something that has all of the stats and attacks for all DS-obtainable pokemon to date mostly just to see what would be the greatest team of 6 non-legendaries would be.

John Funk:
John Funk wishes that Youngster Joey would shut up about his goddamn Rattata.

I agree with you on that i just started the game and joey is already getting on my nerves.

Agree with you on the review and this is my fav generation of pokemon though i trudged through ruby and tried my nephews diamond version. Gold silver and crystal were my favs with Crystal considered to be the best.

Irridium:
I love these games.

I hope they remake Crystal, since I loved it so much, but if not thats fine to, since SoulSilver will keep me occupied for a long time.

afaik, Crystal is in this game.
The suicine story is definately in it.

Damn that Youngster Joey and his Rattata! He really never would shuttup about his stupid rat pokemon. Honestly, you might've thought he'd mosey on over to the caves to see what a Dunsparce looked like, or to the lake to be amazed by the magnificence that is Magikarp, but NOOOOOO, it's always Rattata this, Rattata that. Didn't it evolve into a Raticate, but he kept calling it a Rattata? Can't quite remember...

Anyway, I haven't played my DS in yonks. I'm not going to rush out and buy a game anytime soon, especially not a new one, but maybe if I find one second hand at a reasonable price. As long as it's Silver. Gold can go suck a lemon.

Thank you! This review highlights my every idea about these games, which honestly has only ever happened once before...so I guess there's really nothing else to say, it's said it all for me.

How much are one of them new fangled nintendo hand contraptions?

I always found it funny that a trainer battle was a very poorly disguised mugging, which kinda makes you question who's the bad guy you or team rocket.

Sure Team Rocket went around saying they were evil, and doing villain things like revealing they're entire evil plan to you when ever they could, but you went around the entire fucking world beating up kids for their lunch money.

I too hate Youngster Joey and his Rattata, and that they always think they'll beat you this time.

"No way am I losing this time."
*level 25 raticate*
"Uh huh."
*level 100 anything else*

shirin238:

ask them to wrap it :D that way, you can imply that it's a gift xD
and if you have a short memory, you're bound to be in for a happy surprise at home when you find your present :P

Jaker the Baker:
Fuck YES!! Joey needs to DIE!!! "My Rattata is like, the best Rattata, like he's in the top percentage of Rattata's. You know what I am saying?" Next call: "I tried to catch a Caterpie today, ..

yo I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish, but i just wanted to say joey has the best rattata of all time

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here