Escape to the Movies: Kick-Ass

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

TomOfTheCross:
Saw it last week, one of the best movies in a long time.
Best character has to be Big Daddy, Hit-Girl was awesome but not as awesome.
Also has anyone read the review which the Daily Mail did on this?
If not here it is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html
I don't know whether this is more twisted than the film in question or bloody hilarious.

i fairness hit girl was very fetishised and the actor proberly didnt realise it i mean ive found that school girl costume on the internet in filthy shops (dont ask)

reecedempsey:

TomOfTheCross:
Saw it last week, one of the best movies in a long time.
Best character has to be Big Daddy, Hit-Girl was awesome but not as awesome.
Also has anyone read the review which the Daily Mail did on this?
If not here it is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html
I don't know whether this is more twisted than the film in question or bloody hilarious.

i fairness hit girl was very fetishised and the actor proberly didnt realise it i mean ive found that school girl costume on the internet in filthy shops (dont ask)

I'm afraid that you've quite spectacularly missed the point, anything can and will be fetishsised. Schoolgirls being a biggy because many men are still thinking about their teenage crushes, the school uniform is a reminder of that fact. To be fair though, it would have been better if that scene had been done slightly differently with Mindy being more 'cute' than trying to make her older than she was. But in part i believe that's what mindy herself thinks what girls her age want to look like. You could read into it as much as you want, but at the end of the day, it's a movie. Meant for entertainment before anything else.

Stopped watching around the part Bob actually recommended Watchmen the Movie as some sort of smart deconstruction of superhero lore. Well, that's not true, I first rewound and listened again that did he actually say READ Watchmen the graphic novel and skip the juvenile, ultra-stylized and pointless mess that was Snyder's Watchmen, but alas, no. Then I stopped watching.

As for Kick-Ass, well, it was pretty much the great idea that Millar had but taken up a notch by removing the juvenile mess that plagues 99% of Millar's work outside of Marvel. Great film, great satire and terrific performances all around.

Batman would never use a gun.
Therefore he can not be the best Batman ever.

-1 too Bob.

When I finally saw Kick Ass with my wife(we both loved it very much)I saw a trailer for a movie I am very much interested where Michael Sera was interested in a girl with purple hair but she tells him he has to defeat her 7 super power ex boyfriends before they can even begin their relationship together. I can't find the trailer and I don't remember the name of the film.

Cosplay, the movie you're after is called Scott Pilgrium Vs. the World

Just returned (well, a little while ago) from my third time seeing this.

Wife and I saw it twice.. then we took the kids (14 and 16)

Fun and amusing.

Not really sure why it is "gory" or otherwise off putting other than the fact that there are minors involved. 300 had more gore. Hell, that dumbass movie with Ben Stiller as an angry guy seemed to have more. This movie was amusement... or perhaps a correct ratio of gore... If you shoot something, BAD THINGS HAPPEN. I know, radical... Would rather my kids saw this as a discussion point than even "Watchmen" (which we all really enjoyed.)

Sure, we can see Bai Lings tits and ass in an absolute loss of a movie like "Gene Generation" .... But whoa nelly if kids actually pull blood!

Meh.

Fun movie, great concept. Really fucking fun. The Smurfs really liked it.

(Interestingly, my daughter liked it more than my son.. or maybe not.. I dunno.. hwe went to get more popcorn during the rub on tan scene.. maybe that was the problem...)

What didn't you like about Watchmen?

I've gotten a kick out of the title of this movie everytime i've seen it, but until looking at that vidoe review I didn't have the foggiest idea what it was about.

Maybe i'll rent it someday. Theatres are not for me.

MovieBob:
Kick-Ass

This week MovieBob takes a look at the comic book to film adaptation of Kick-Ass.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Darn you Bob, I'm 19 and still can't "get" what Cage is doing with the character. I think the weird rhythmic talk, and the load of bat shit crazy things he does, are hinting to a bigger thing, but I can't put my finger on it.

OT: Awesome review, and great movie. Haven't felt so weird and tingly inside since the Dark Knight, although this brought up the best and worst of comic book heroes, while making it awesome and somewhat twisted, and sick in the same time.

The rythm thing he is doing is a pure channel of Adam West's Batman... (ala the mayor in Family Guy and a million other cartoons...)

Adam West and William Shatner (Batman and Captain Kirk) share an odd and interesting vocal intonation and timing that can easily be recognized. Cage is very obviously channeling West.

You... had better... watch some.. old... television..! **Kaboom!**

I finally got around to seeing this and I must say I was very disapointed.

this movie is the best action movie i have ever seen in my life, that's all i have to say

Finally got around to buying this on dvd, was far from disapointed.

To start with the soundtrack was fucking fantastic. Adagio in D minor and In the house, in a heartbeat, two of my favourite movie tracks of all time.

I prefer to take a film at face value rather then going into all of the potentially 'deep and meaningful' symbolism bullshit that movie critics endlessly orgasm over. The action scenes were superb (such as the warehouse, the lack of any slow-mo or the like makes it especially brutal), characters were enjoyable to watch, plot was fun if a little messy in spots.

Excellent film.

I used to be a huge comic fan and had heard that the Kick Ass comic was a dark super hero satire that pulled no punches; imagine my shock when I watched a film that; as a comic movie is way short of the best of the genre; as a comedy had very few truly funny moments after the first scene; and as a satire, wasn't. If they had concentrated the film around Big Daddy and Hit Girl, created a more believable villain and got rid of the entire nauseating 'nerd gets the girl', 'comic book geeks are people too' part of the film, it would have been a much darker, more clever and interesting film.

two words for this movie: CHILD ABUSE

I know what cage was doing with big daddys character and I am 15.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here