Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

thublihnk:

It doesn't belong smack dab at the beginning! Engage me a little bit! Don't bore me to pieces before you've even launched into the meat of the material. BE CREATIVE. Throw something in at the very beginning that will make me want to play. Fallout 3 made it's tutorial interesting, the bond that was developed through the tutorial was the catalyst for the main character's motivation throughout the entire game.

Tutorials need to be in games, but they don't need to be boring as shit.

You mean like... showing one of the main monsters, and warning you that you are not strong enough for it? You could even try to attack him if you wanted.

But i agree, fallout 3 had a somewhat interesting tutorial but the games that do have interesting tutorials are extremly rare... and if i hadn't played the games that have boring tutorials, i would have missed a lot of good games. Boring tutorial =/= boring game...

And reviews are made to show you this.

I don't really understand why we still talk about this... you said yourself Yahtzee is a critic, and that his job is to inform the customer/gamer about the game (not the tutorial)... and this is something he failed to do...

deckai:

thublihnk:

It doesn't belong smack dab at the beginning! Engage me a little bit! Don't bore me to pieces before you've even launched into the meat of the material. BE CREATIVE. Throw something in at the very beginning that will make me want to play. Fallout 3 made it's tutorial interesting, the bond that was developed through the tutorial was the catalyst for the main character's motivation throughout the entire game.

You mean like... showing one of the main monsters, and warning you that you are not strong enough for it? You could even try to attack him if you wanted.

But i agree, fallout 3 had a somewhat interesting tutorial but the games that do have interesting tutorials are extremly rare... and if i hadn't played the games that have boring tutorials, i would have missed a lot of good games. Boring tutorial =/= boring game...

I don't really understand why we still talk about this... you said yourself Yahtzee is a critic, and that his job is to inform the customer/gamer about the game (not the tutorial)... and this is something he failed to do...

First of all, NO. The tutorial, the intro, is part of the game, and a necessary part of criticism, if it really did bore him to tears. Second of all, that sounds like a long-ass tutorial, if it really did take him 'just' 1-2 hours to get through. After an hour, if the gameplay hasn't picked up, they've REALLY dropped the ball. Honestly, I give boring tutorials like, 15 minutes before I feel they've gone on too far. If a game hasn't interested me after an hour, yeah, I'm probably going to put it down. And I discussed this before, if you bothered to read my posts (I don't blame you if you didn't, but I don't like restating things) Yahtzee reviewed his experience with the game. And that experience was 'I was bored as shit with the first 2 hours, then I put it down, here's why:'
Now, if he had forced himself to trudge onward, then the review would probably sound like "You know, there's some good bits after the first two hours, but if you don't want to trudge through two hours of fucking boring tutorials, this really isn't the game for you."
(Either way, I really don't want to play Monster Hunter now)

thublihnk:

deckai:

thublihnk:

First of all, NO. The tutorial, the intro, is part of the game, and a necessary part of criticism, if it really did bore him to tears. Second of all, that sounds like a long-ass tutorial, if it really did take him 'just' 1-2 hours to get through. After an hour, if the gameplay hasn't picked up, they've REALLY dropped the ball. Honestly, I give boring tutorials like, 15 minutes before I feel they've gone on too far. If a game hasn't interested me after an hour, yeah, I'm probably going to put it down. And I discussed this before, if you bothered to read my posts (I don't blame you if you didn't, but I don't like restating things) Yahtzee reviewed his experience with the game. And that experience was 'I was bored as shit with the first 2 hours, then I put it down, here's why:'
Now, if he had forced himself to trudge onward, then the review would probably sound like "You know, there's some good bits after the first two hours, but if you don't want to trudge through two hours of fucking boring tutorials, this really isn't the game for you."

THEN HE SHOULD MENTION THAT HE ONLY PLAYED FOR 2 HOURS instead of giving the impression that the tutorial, intro is the whole game. Yahtzee can't just go off and say 'the game sucks balls' with playing only the tutorial, if he is a critic like he claims, then he should fulfill his obligations to the viewers by actually playing the game through even if the game sucks massive, massive amounts of balls. In FF13 review, he has been honest about how many hours he have played, and lets face it, JRPGs don't really change. I mean I'm pretty sure the Escapist doesn't pay him to review tutorials and claim that its the whole game. The fact of the matter is that if I was getting payed to test and review a game, I don't play it for 15~20 min (after 15 minutes I fought Great Jaggi, which I'm still convinced that he has not seen.) and just give up, that's not professional.
If the tutorial is boring as fuck and he thinks so, then he should say that the tutorial sucks massive balls and it was so boring that he could not play it past the tutorial, instead of making it sound like the whole game is nothing but grindfest of little monsters, 'cause there are huge monsters in that game you can kill.

Krimson Kun:

thublihnk:

deckai:

thublihnk:

THEN HE SHOULD MENTION THAT HE ONLY PLAYED FOR 2 HOURS instead of giving the impression that the tutorial, intro is the whole game. Yahtzee can't just go off and say 'the game sucks balls' with playing only the tutorial, if he is a critic like he claims, then he should fulfill his obligations to the viewers by actually playing the game through even if the game sucks massive, massive amounts of balls. In FF13 review, he has been honest about how many hours he have played, and lets face it, JRPGs don't really change. I mean I'm pretty sure the Escapist doesn't pay him to review tutorials and claim that its the whole game. The fact of the matter is that if I was getting payed to test and review a game, I don't play it for 15~20 min (after 15 minutes I fought Great Jaggi, which I'm still convinced that he has not seen.) and just give up, that's not professional.
If the tutorial is boring as fuck and he thinks so, then he should say that the tutorial sucks massive balls and it was so boring that he could not play it past the tutorial, instead of making it sound like the whole game is nothing but grindfest of little monsters, 'cause there are huge monsters in that game you can kill.

No! Two hours is a perfectly acceptable length of time for a game to wow me, you, or anyone else. If it hasn't accomplished some basic goals by then, it's spending too much time with its head up its ass. I don't care if there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
And don't give me the shit about how I'm just some cock who needs instant gratification. No. I'm not talking about an explosive intro, I'm not talking about jumping into the action. I'm just talking about being interesting. Give us an interesting character. Some cool gameplay mechanics (which should've been introduced in the tutorial IF THEY WERE FUCKING THERE.) If in two hours a game hasn't shown me a reason to play past two hours, I was probably already gone an hour and a half ago. At that point, we've already passed a particularly long feature film. I'm not going to sit around and wait for shit to kick in.
And here's where you say "but Yahtzee is a professional game reviewer, he should've played the whole thing" Firstly: 100+hours. You do that in a week. Go ahead. do it. You got a job? You got school? Not anymore you don't. Second of all, and I really have to come back to this--It was his experience with the game. His unique point of view. His bias. I know that's such a dirty word around these parts, but let's face it, that's what we're here for. If you want a review with someone else's bias, go somewhere else. You watched Zero Punctuation, you get Yahtzee's bias. Yahtzee's bias includes turning off shitty games after they've proven themselves shitty (2 hour rule withstanding). You want someone who kept playing, played the whole thing, etc? Write down your own thoughts. I'm sure they're much closer to what you would want to hear. In fact, it seems they're the ONLY thing you want to hear.
And lastly, I gotta ask. Why? Why the fuck do you care? Because he's getting paid to do this? Because he doesn't like your game? Grow up. (And here comes the inevitable question, "yeah, but why do you care that I care?" I don't, I'm bored.)

thublihnk:

Krimson Kun:

thublihnk:

deckai:

thublihnk:

No! Two hours is a perfectly acceptable length of time for a game to wow me, you, or anyone else. If it hasn't accomplished some basic goals by then, it's spending too much time with its head up its ass. I don't care if there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
And don't give me the shit about how I'm just some cock who needs instant gratification. No. I'm not talking about an explosive intro, I'm not talking about jumping into the action. I'm just talking about being interesting. Give us an interesting character. Some cool gameplay mechanics (which should've been introduced in the tutorial IF THEY WERE FUCKING THERE.) If in two hours a game hasn't shown me a reason to play past two hours, I was probably already gone an hour and a half ago. At that point, we've already passed a particularly long feature film. I'm not going to sit around and wait for shit to kick in.
And here's where you say "but Yahtzee is a professional game reviewer, he should've played the whole thing" Firstly: 100+hours. You do that in a week. Go ahead. do it. You got a job? You got school? Not anymore you don't. Second of all, and I really have to come back to this--It was his experience with the game. His unique point of view. His bias. I know that's such a dirty word around these parts, but let's face it, that's what we're here for. If you want a review with someone else's bias, go somewhere else. You watched Zero Punctuation, you get Yahtzee's bias. Yahtzee's bias includes turning off shitty games after they've proven themselves shitty (2 hour rule withstanding). You want someone who kept playing, played the whole thing, etc? Write down your own thoughts. I'm sure they're much closer to what you would want to hear. In fact, it seems they're the ONLY thing you want to hear.
And lastly, I gotta ask. Why? Why the fuck do you care? Because he's getting paid to do this? Because he doesn't like your game? Grow up. (And here comes the inevitable question, "yeah, but why do you care that I care?" I don't, I'm bored.)

I've never said that 2 hours isn't a enough time to give a review(Also I finished the tutorial quests in 15 minutes, it was nothing interesting but it only took me 15 minutes, by hour 2 I was killing things much larger than I), so stop fucking exaggerating I just want him to be fucking honest, Yahtzee doesn't have to play for hundreds of hours, I don't care even if he plays for a fucking minute as long as he's honest about it, for FF13, he mentioned that he only played for 5 hours, and I was fine because he was honest about it, he bashed on it for being stupid and it didn't get to me even though I loved the game.(I love it love it love it, I'd marry it if SE would let me), I care not because he's bashing on the game(that's what I want him to do), but because I want to watch something with professional integrity, not some bullshit video where he got lazy. What's wrong with wanting to watch something where Yahtzee put in a little more effort?

i have a game for you to reveiw. its called Metro 2013. its a FPS "Horro" game that takes place in a post-apocalyptic Mascow Metro staitions. check it out.

I was not aware that people were mad at Yahtzee because of the review. I can understand why people are mad about it but at the same time why only depend on one review? Why depend on any reviews? In my opinion I say people should rent the game instead to decide if they like it or not.

thublihnk:
Fallout 3 made it's tutorial interesting, the bond that was developed through the tutorial was the catalyst for the main character's motivation throughout the entire game.

Are you kidding me? You complain about the Monster Hunter Tri tutorial and then bring up Fallout 3 as a way to make it better? Seriously?
It was a complete waste of time. A first person game with a tutorial, oh how original. It's like I never have learned to walk around and look around in a 3D environment. That's something new!
The stat selection sucked, because you corrected everything afterwards anyway. So why not speed things up and make you choose your stats in the first place. The whole childhood phase was boring as hell. I say Fallout 3 is on par with the MHTri tutorial.

Nah. people Pretend they're upset because he did not play until the end. But in fact they are upset because he say bad things of their favorite game.

You know how do I know? They are claiming that he only played the tutorial. But the game has no tutorial. Seriously! When you get out of village for the first time, pop a couple of dialog boxes teaching the function of the buttons. And this is it! What we are calling a tutorial is in fact the game. You stick around collecting things makes it all the time, for a long time. Do you really believe that they will not have to go back ten times in a row in the swamp just to collect minerals? That will not have to be coming and going to the Tundra just to collect skin of small animals? Do you really think not!

"But he spoke of the great monsters?"
In this I agree. But in one hand, is all more or less the same. Every monster has an rush attack so do not stand in front of him, every monster has an tail attack so do not attack from behind until the tail is cut. Flank attack it's all about. But every monster has a side attack. Then attack, attack, dodge, dodge, attack, run, dodge, dodge, attack, dodge, attack, attack, dodge, run ...Sometimes you have to use items. First that every time you use an item his character makes a pose, raises both hands in the style "I am the supermam" hits in his the belly, all kinds of stupid thing, moreover, almost every monster spit something, then do not use the item when it is watching you. Indeed, in the logic of the fans, the tutorial spans over 20 hours since the only monster that actually looks like a boss is a gigantic monster that swing in the sand and you face with a ship. All others are more or less the same thing.

And worst of all, killing large monsters are also repetitive, mindless quests to pick up things. Man, I had to kill a monster named Diablo five times before getting one (one!) Item needed to upgrade my weapon. Before that I killed a giant frog twice to get the weapon I wanted to upgrade. And by the way, apparently, I would to kill him more times for the next upgrade.

You still have the problems of the gameplay, Monster Hunter is a game so averse to innovation that reject achievements of the past generation as self-lock. Strangely, the more reactionary game of the generation it's in the platform that supposedly prevails because of innovation.

So to finish this wall of text just say, stop lying!
There are places in the world that games are not very popular. There is no rental or second hand market. Then the guy will pay a fortune in fees and taxes and will be stuck with a game that is a tremendous mess. If do not like Yahtzee make reviews of game he only played a few hours, do not watch Zero Punctuation. really is not very professional but his review was more true about the game than all the rest of that played until the end. The critics are saying as if the game was the eighth wonder. Damn! They make me think was something like, Neverwinter Nights do Shadow of the Colossus.

Sorry for the rant but it is very dirty what you critics are doing.
Furthermore, the commotion over this game with quality on par with free mmo exists only because it came from a large company, a famous name. If MH3 came from a small publisher nobody would give a damn.

Damn, cases like Assassins Creed 2 and Monster Hunter Tri really make me think piracy is the only. How the games can be so bad and the reviews are so good? Who can help people from, as you like to say, the rest f the world?

krgskks:

thublihnk:
Fallout 3 made it's tutorial interesting, the bond that was developed through the tutorial was the catalyst for the main character's motivation throughout the entire game.

Are you kidding me? You complain about the Monster Hunter Tri tutorial and then bring up Fallout 3 as a way to make it better? Seriously?
It was a complete waste of time. A first person game with a tutorial, oh how original. It's like I never have learned to walk around and look around in a 3D environment. That's something new!
The stat selection sucked, because you corrected everything afterwards anyway. So why not speed things up and make you choose your stats in the first place. The whole childhood phase was boring as hell. I say Fallout 3 is on par with the MHTri tutorial.

Did you actually read what I said? The tutorial wasn't interesting--not the actual bits where you were learning to do things. No, the backdrop to the tutorial. You were forming a character bond with your characters father that would inform the rest of the story, and it made me want to keep playing when this character that I had formed a connection with suddenly left at the end of the tutorial. They made the tutorial an important and interesting part of the game, even if the actual tutorialley bits were inconsequential and boring. THAT's what I'm talking about.

Mangue Surfer:
*snip*

So you didn't like that game, that's ok.

But for me a tutorial ends when everything is introduced... and in each of the tutorial quests you get a introduction what you suppose to do and how you do it. Maybe thats not what you expect of a tutorial. Everyone makes their decisions based on their experiences, i don't expect, that people with different experiences to agree with me (That why we are here and discuss). But you know, thats ok. You are no gamecritic.

But Yahtzees is, and his reviews usually, at least, try to present the whole game.

And your whole rant about the innovation of videogames has nothing to do with our complains about the review.

And a last question, why did you play for such a long time if you were clearly bored by it?

gof22:
I was not aware that people were mad at Yahtzee because of the review. I can understand why people are mad about it but at the same time why only depend on one review? Why depend on any reviews? In my opinion I say people should rent the game instead to decide if they like it or not.

You are right, deciding to buy a game, based only on one review, is never a good idea. But on other hand, why should i read/watch reviews, if the easiest way to decide on a game, is to rent it? Reviews are made, to help you with this decision (if you should rent/buy it or not).

deckai:
why did you play for such a long time if you were clearly bored by it?

Because the came Cost me U$130!

ONE HUNDRED AND FUCING THIRTY U.S. DOLLAR!

Mangue Surfer:

Because the came Cost me U$130!

ONE HUNDRED AND FUCING THIRTY U.S. DOLLAR!

Ok, no wonder you are angry. I payed 35 euro for my version and I'm more than pleased. And I don't think I could ever convice you that you spend your money well... but on the other hand, I dont't think I could convice anyone, that spending 130 bucks on a game is a good decision.

With so much money it's no wonder you have incredible high expectations, but don't you think someone who spent much less, could maybe enjoy it?

deckai:

And a last question, why did you play for such a long time if you were clearly bored by it?

Good god, we could ask Yahtzee the same question. I understand that as things are getting introduced, a game doesn't need to be slow, but 2 hours is a long time to pull someone in. Can't really blame him for that.

deckai:

Ok, no wonder you are angry. I payed 35 euro for my version and I'm more than pleased. And I don't think I could ever convice you that you spend your money well... but on the other hand, I dont't think I could convice anyone, that spending 130 bucks on a game is a good decision.

With so much money it's no wonder you have incredible high expectations, but don't you think someone who spent much less, could maybe enjoy it?

That was never my point from the beginning.
I'm not discuss here my motivations, because I always wanted to play video games since childhood and could not at that time.

The fact is, I accept that I have to spend much on each game. Some games are worth. Mario Galaxy is worth it. The problem is that it would be interesting at least some critics give me an true overview to help.

Then comes the whole world of professional and says he is the best action game for the Wii.
WOW! should be worth. Except that I buy the game and, this is it!
Whatever, was on Gametrailers and someone posted a link to Zero Punctuation. Man, to my astonishment, a comedy show where the guy not played until the end is the only review that has not omitted some truths about the game.

You do not think so minimally strange?

Perhaps my anger is because the reviews are all paid and the only one who wants to give some idea about the problems is a guy who just wants to make joke and not played until the end. I could have spent this money on Mario Galaxy 2. I Just hope this one will be good. But now I don't Know. Because the only way to know is to buy to see if worth to buy.

Yes, I know are you think, "Dude, just put a modchip in you Wii."

thublihnk:

Good god, we could ask Yahtzee the same question. I understand that as things are getting introduced, a game doesn't need to be slow, but 2 hours is a long time to pull someone in. Can't really blame him for that.

Yes, yes we can. He is a game critic, and it is his job to give accurate reviews(even if they are meant to be funny, if I wanted to watch something funny and wrong about games, I'd just talk to my parents) about the games. For other games, it is very clear that Yahtzee has seen the ending, even for RPGs which require about 20 hours of game play minimum(and there's the case of FF13, but I'm fine with it because at least he was honest about it). The difference between you and Yahtzee is that it is his job to play those games, where in your case, its nothing more than a hobby.

Mangue Surfer:
Nah. people Pretend they're upset because he did not play until the end. But in fact they are upset because he say bad things of their favorite game.

You know how do I know? They are claiming that he only played the tutorial. But the game has no tutorial. Seriously! When you get out of village for the first time, pop a couple of dialog boxes teaching the function of the buttons. And this is it! What we are calling a tutorial is in fact the game. You stick around collecting things makes it all the time, for a long time. Do you really believe that they will not have to go back ten times in a row in the swamp just to collect minerals? That will not have to be coming and going to the Tundra just to collect skin of small animals? Do you really think not!

"But he spoke of the great monsters?"
In this I agree. But in one hand, is all more or less the same. Every monster has an rush attack so do not stand in front of him, every monster has an tail attack so do not attack from behind until the tail is cut. Flank attack it's all about. But every monster has a side attack. Then attack, attack, dodge, dodge, attack, run, dodge, dodge, attack, dodge, attack, attack, dodge, run ...Sometimes you have to use items. First that every time you use an item his character makes a pose, raises both hands in the style "I am the supermam" hits in his the belly, all kinds of stupid thing, moreover, almost every monster spit something, then do not use the item when it is watching you. Indeed, in the logic of the fans, the tutorial spans over 20 hours since the only monster that actually looks like a boss is a gigantic monster that swing in the sand and you face with a ship. All others are more or less the same thing.

And worst of all, killing large monsters are also repetitive, mindless quests to pick up things. Man, I had to kill a monster named Diablo five times before getting one (one!) Item needed to upgrade my weapon. Before that I killed a giant frog twice to get the weapon I wanted to upgrade. And by the way, apparently, I would to kill him more times for the next upgrade.

You still have the problems of the gameplay, Monster Hunter is a game so averse to innovation that reject achievements of the past generation as self-lock. Strangely, the more reactionary game of the generation it's in the platform that supposedly prevails because of innovation.

Wait, so you don't think all the parts before they send you to guild quest is not tutorial? Do you not think the one star quests(which still give you those dialogs and makes you do things that you just finished) is not tutorial? If so, Yahtzee did play through the tutorial but still very little part of the game(I still can't believe he did not beat on the uselessness of the AI-companion Cha-Cha), and gives an impression that the whole game is nothing but gathering quests.

As for the gameplay, the gameplay of Monster Hunter series never changed from the first one(which was amazing btw) so I guess we can say its nothing innovative, but I think you're playing the game(this game, not games in general) for the wrong reason. In this game, your goal is not to get a better weapon, but to kill monsters with it. Sure it's easier to kill monsters with better weapons, but I've killed things with sleep sns just for the fun of it.

The large monsters are repetitive? How so? All of them have signature attacks that make each of them unique, yes some of the motions are shared, but I've not felt that all the monsters were same with different skin on. For example, you mentioned Diablos and frog monster(which I'll assume its Gobul), which have totally different patterns Diablos charges and charges and charges while Gobul likes to hit nearby enemies with spike.

Saying fighting all large monsters are the same because they all have 'charge, tail swipe, and side attack' is like saying all Asians are same because they all have 'black hair, and are short'

I am sorry that you had to spend so much money on this game(I've spent that much on AC2 which I didn't enjoy one bit so we have something in common), but I want you to know that I'm not angry at Yahtzee because he bashed on the game, as I've mentioned in other posts that has never been a problem for me. The problem is that I feel like Yahtzee played a very little part of the game and is making fun of it with very, very poor examples.

thublihnk:

Oh wow.
Why do we even bother to explain it/point out the false "facts", when nobody will read it anyway?

Inb4 answers: That was a rethorical question.

This thread is going really aggresive.

I wonder how he extra punctions hiself out of this one.

YES: He has every right to critisize games, he's a critic.

But more important:
YES: He didn't review more than 2 hours, and didn't add that.

The first few hours are a stupid excuse to kill a game: the first hours don't have you kill big monsters. That's just the way of the RPG... You start of with lvl 1 maggots, but end up with lvl 100 demons or something.

thublihnk:

Different people, differnet opinions. But for me Yahtzee is still a critic and spending less time on reviewing a game than ..let say spending time on brushing your teeth.. is not good reviewing. He got a whole week time for it, even in the FFXIII review he gave a reason why he hadn't played it further.

@ Mangue Surfer: How can someone who didn't play until the end, tell the truth about a game? He just played the first hour... he never said how he fought a bigger monster, he never complained about the animations... that is something you know, because YOU played so far.

I think i will just repeat myself if i go on : /

Tomorrow he will post a new video and I just hope that it will be better than this. That's all i have to say.

Extra Punctuation is out, enjoy everyone, now you can stop with the moaning.

It looks like some people just got served. ;D

I figured it was because the game didn't go through for him so he gave up on it. Looks like he did play more then he originally stated though. All in all, fun read. ;F

Aylaine:

I figured it was because the game didn't go through for him so he gave up on it. Looks like he did play more then he originally stated though. All in all, fun read. ;F

If by fun read you mean, contradicting himself, reapeating himself, speading some more false information and pointing out some more irrelevant facts, then yes.

Aylaine:

It seems he's not big into the item/resource management, or simply not into these kinds of games at all.

solidstatemind:

If you don't pay attention enough/seen enough ZP to have noticed that he has said that he absolutely does not review MP, shouldn't that be chalked up to your ignorance? Same goes for the bit about not playing it long enough. Jesus: he covered that like only 2 episodes ago.

It takes 2-4 hours based on how much you play for it to get good.

He has admitted that he does fuck all but play the game he will be reviewing.

He had reasons to only play FFXIII for only 5 hours (though not very good ones).

He has a fucking week to play. (three days? I think he mentioned it somewhere in one of his articles)

you're telling me that he has so little time that he can only fit a couple hours in a few days, despite his entire job revolving around playing games?

Trust me, by no means am a a fanboy for MH, but I have played it, and it is really fun

sfried:

Aylaine:

It seems he's not big into the item/resource management, or simply not into these kinds of games at all.

I haven't played it, but based on how he describes it, it reminds me of a MMO in terms of that.

nicholaxxx:

solidstatemind:

If you don't pay attention enough/seen enough ZP to have noticed that he has said that he absolutely does not review MP, shouldn't that be chalked up to your ignorance? Same goes for the bit about not playing it long enough. Jesus: he covered that like only 2 episodes ago.

It takes 2-4 hours based on how much you play for it to get good.

He has admitted that he does fuck all but play the game he will be reviewing.

He had reasons to only play FFXIII for only 5 hours (though not very good ones).

He has a fucking week to play. (three days? I think he mentioned it somewhere in one of his articles)

you're telling me that he has so little time that he can only fit a couple hours in a few days, despite his entire job revolving around playing games?

Trust me, by no means am a a fanboy for MH, but I have played it, and it is really fun

Based on how much you play? Now according to you, the game was fun. I'm not going to assume you did it faster then the average person, but Yahtzee does not like these kinds of games. It may have took him longer, or he simply didn't devote as much to the game because it honestly didn't do much for him. While it was fun for you, it doesn't appear to have been fun for him.

Aylaine:
*snip*

At thats the point, we all make/have decisions/opinions based on our own experiences.

Most of the people in that thread assume that Yahtzees view on the game is their own opinion... they don't have any fundemental arguments other than his review. The "fans" try to convince the "non-fans" that not everything what Yahtzee said has to be taken serious.

But i don't want to start that discussion again .. it's like running in circles :(

What is it about Japanese games being criticized that gets the fans so riled up? Yahtzee tears apart for just/unjust flaws every week. As soon as it's final androgynous teenfantasy or asian robot farmer XII, we'll see 500 hits in the comments two days after.

Lol Extra Punctuation Rocks.

Now i've played MH since it came out and own MH,MHF2,MH2NG,MHU, and of Course Tri.

But everything yahtzee says is completely true. More then once after running the game for ten plus hours (and killing a f**kton of monsters), i find i need this one item for my weapon (lets go with Lagicrus plate) so i proceed to kill and capture twelve Lagi. No dice, i go once more for good measure...no dice. At this point i go f**k it and save quit and play port royale 2 for four hours.

Even massive fans of the game and series get 'f**k this' moments, so its not like yahtzee is pointing out anything new.

And if i'm not mistaken he not once mentioned the fact that it has no lock-on, so thank christ because that is the reason every website gives for negative reviews.

Hmmm... I wonder who's the 383 comment...

llagrok:
What is it about Japanese games being criticized that gets the fans so riled up? Yahtzee tears apart for just/unjust flaws every week. As soon as it's final androgynous teenfantasy or asian robot farmer XII, we'll see 500 hits in the comments two days after.

It's the fact he's being disingenuous? He could have complained about any game with such low quality and I would have been posting.

Please actually read our comments before becoming another one of the annoying "What's with all the bitchy fans I haven't read who clearly must be whining about Yahtzee?" one post in the thread wonders.

gof22:

I think people are mad because Yahtzee is discouraging people from playing this great game based on some lies. The people who take the review seriously are missing out on something great.

And I know his reviews aren't really serious, so calling them lies aren't much of an insult. I mean, he only played for 2 hours. That's like playing Mario Kart wii for one lap on Luigi Circuit and using that to judge the whole game.

milskidasith:

llagrok:

It's the fact he's being disingenuous? He could have complained about any game with such low quality and I would have been posting.

Please actually read our comments before becoming another one of the annoying "What's with all the bitchy fans I haven't read who clearly must be whining about Yahtzee?" one post in the thread wonders.

Sounds like a pretty serious cause of umad. May I direct you to Dr.T Roll?

Why would the content of your posts matter at all? I'm commenting the quantity, not the quality. All I see are some disgruntled fans who feel that they're entitled to something, who feel that if Yahtzee doesn't finish the game, he hasn't played it. Somehow, it's being made out to Uninteresting Gameplay + Inability to keep player = Bad reviewer. You're entitled to raging in front of the computer, just like he's entitled to give the game a thumbs down. If all you want out of a review is a validation of your opinion, go read Famitsu or IGN, where the budget size of a game decides the rating!

lol the sea moster is the last boss!

Samlikespie:
lol the sea moster is the last boss!

Pretty much all the review said to me was that if your like yahtzee you won't like the game.

I on the other hand enjoyed my time with monster hunter. I put in 70 hours beat all the monsters and now I'm done as far as I'm concerned. Personally i believe if you can squeeze that many hours of enjoyment out of a game it was good enough.

Now my criticism of yahtzee's review/criticism is that it seems he got confused as to which part of the game is the actual game. If you listen to his review again you can hear him talking about MOga forest, the little sandbox area they let you mess around in, as if it is the real game and the quests are just quests like in an mmo, not important. So perhaps it was not technically his fault he never finished the tutorial because he didn't know any better.

Oh and you can get to a real monster fight in 30minutes as well as beat the story mission in about 30hours if you know what your doing. Yahtzee needs to make use of game resourses like Faqs <.<

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here