Critical Miss: #28

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

i don't get it aren't space marines all covered in armor and stuff it could be a girl no one would ever know

Jenx:

J03bot:
The emperor is just boring. And induced a new dark age, causing technophobia to sweep the imperium to the point that all machinery is venerated as a holy artifact.

Except for the fact that he didn't? ALL of things you describe happened AFTER the Emperor got mortally wounded and had to be confined to the golden throne.

ALSO, you really have no idea what "phobia" means, do you?

But they happened on the Emperor's behalf, so it can be argued that the Emperor brought in said dark age. He did, just not by his design. Hell, he's dead, just strapped up to a machine so his body won't stop functioning.

And yes, I do. In this case, everyone is so scared of machinery and how it works that everything to do with it's continued functioning is left to tech-priests.
Think of modern day technophobia - a fear (or at least deep mistrust) of the functioning of computers, such that any problem, no matter how slight, is dealt with by dedicated tech people, or younger members of the family.
I just phrased it badly in my last post...

I just imagined them singing that "We want to be space marines!! Waaaaahhhhhhh!!"

J03bot:

Jenx:

J03bot:
The emperor is just boring. And induced a new dark age, causing technophobia to sweep the imperium to the point that all machinery is venerated as a holy artifact.

Except for the fact that he didn't? ALL of things you describe happened AFTER the Emperor got mortally wounded and had to be confined to the golden throne.

ALSO, you really have no idea what "phobia" means, do you?

But they happened on the Emperor's behalf, so it can be argued that the Emperor brought in said dark age. He did, just not by his design. Hell, he's dead, just strapped up to a machine so his body won't stop functioning.

And yes, I do. In this case, everyone is so scared of machinery and how it works that everything to do with it's continued functioning is left to tech-priests.
Think of modern day technophobia - a fear (or at least deep mistrust) of the functioning of computers, such that any problem, no matter how slight, is dealt with by dedicated tech people, or younger members of the family.
I just phrased it badly in my last post...

That's not Technophobia. That's just a lack of knowledge. A phobia would mean a genuine fear.

...Also, in regards to the original topic, I'm afraid any females that want to play a Space Marine will have to roll up a male.
I'm... so sorry. But otherwise, there will be chaos, and as everyone knows, chaos is bad. And must be purged. And nobody wants more purging, do they?
...Well, alright, they do, but still.

I fail to see the issue, females can still join the Commissariat.

Witch hunters/ sisters of battle.

That is all.

Soviet Heavy:

crotalidian:
Well the sisters of battle are around and I'm sure they can shoehorn some all female orders into the Marines this is the 40 thousandth century surely equal rights have permitted the induction of females

Umm no. Not a chance in hell. Equal rights? The only people who have equal rights are the Imperial Guard, and that is because they are all equally required to die by the thousands hoping to clog enemy tank tracks with their corpses.

Do you really think they're that useless... you poor, poor soul.

I've had imperial guard do some SERIOUS damage to my orcs. I still won in the end but still.

dogstile:

Soviet Heavy:

crotalidian:
Well the sisters of battle are around and I'm sure they can shoehorn some all female orders into the Marines this is the 40 thousandth century surely equal rights have permitted the induction of females

Umm no. Not a chance in hell. Equal rights? The only people who have equal rights are the Imperial Guard, and that is because they are all equally required to die by the thousands hoping to clog enemy tank tracks with their corpses.

I've had imperial guard do some SERIOUS damage to my orcs. I still won in the end but still.

Never said they were useless. I was referring to Fluff, which is what people are arguing about right now. I myself play Imperial Guard, and their Kasrkin with Hotshot Lasguns tear heavy troops apart. They are a force to be reckoned with.

Soviet Heavy:

dogstile:

Soviet Heavy:

crotalidian:

Never said they were useless. I was referring to Fluff, which is what people are arguing about right now. I myself play Imperial Guard, and their Kasrkin with Hotshot Lasguns tear heavy troops apart. They are a force to be reckoned with.

In which case, fair enough :P

p3t3r:
i don't get it aren't space marines all covered in armor and stuff it could be a girl no one would ever know

Clearly you neglected to read even one page of the comments. It's been explained about five times over by this point.

THQ have remained loyal to the W40K canon so far as gameplay is not compromised, for instance the first four Dawn of War games allowed you access to the majority of units from the majority of races whilst adding on the traditional RTS mechanic for getting a hold of your units (base building) Dawn of War II had you customise your squads and loadout before the game began, much like tabletop 40k, so I can't really see them letting an additional X chromosome getting anywhere near the Human-race characters... If, however, they allow players to play as the Sisters of Battle that is the perfect opportunity to prove that there is little disparity between the sexes in the potential for awesomeness.

P.S. for the benefit of those who don't know this; there are no female Space Marines because in the 40K universe the correct hormonal cocktail for supporting the horrific biological modifications that turn an exceptional human being into a 7'6" acid-spitting killing-machine only exists in the human male. That's why there are never any female space marines, there are however Sisters of Battle who kick ass and take names.

Witchhumters/sisters of battle

FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!

Also custom chapters you can totally do that...

Adepta Sororitas. 'Nuff said. Also, there can be female Inquisitors and Psychers. However, I'm unsure about Tech Priests and the like. :/

I don't think you really have much to worry about. The gameplay videos look pretty shitty. I mean, the sky is BLUE. How can it be GRIMDARK if the sky is blue? Fuck, Sam and Max is a more GRIMDARK game than Dark Millenium right now.

Jaredin:
Heh, been in the middle of that arguement is always a dangerous place to be...

tell me about it. its impossible to defend without appearing a sexist ><

mega props for the DanLeSac vs Scroobius Pip quote at the bottom =D

crazypsyko666:
I don't think you really have much to worry about. The gameplay videos look pretty shitty. I mean, the sky is BLUE. How can it be GRIMDARK if the sky is blue? Fuck, Sam and Max is a more GRIMDARK game than Dark Millenium right now.

It takes a more realistic yet decaying view of the universe where humanity is in slow decline and being destroed on all sides (or eaten in the case of the Tyranids) and has its back in a corner. Just because its a grim universe doesn't mean there aren't beautiful worlds, and clear sky, in fact I prefer it to every 'grim' setting where all the worlds look the exact same and have no other distinguishing features from one another. It also makes more sense why the Imperium as a whole would fight to protect the few planets that have not been turned into smog covered Hive worlds. Besides most Aggri worlds also have clear skys and blue oceans, they are the worlds who's sole responsibility is making enough crop to feed the hive worlds.

Setch Dreskar:

crazypsyko666:

It takes a more realistic yet decaying view of the universe where humanity is in slow decline and being destroed on all sides (or eaten in the case of the Tyranids) and has its back in a corner. Just because its a grim universe doesn't mean there aren't beautiful worlds, and clear sky, in fact I prefer it to every 'grim' setting where all the worlds look the exact same and have no other distinguishing features from one another. It also makes more sense why the Imperium as a whole would fight to protect the few planets that have not been turned into smog covered Hive worlds. Besides most Aggri worlds also have clear skys and blue oceans, they are the worlds who's sole responsibility is making enough crop to feed the hive worlds.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
(Doesn't understand sarcasm)

I would say more (doesn't care) I gave my opinion on it, and used yours as an opinion itself.

Especially with the state of the internet, and people still thinking Warcraft or Starcraft or hell even Gears of War came before Warhammer, I won't rule out anyones stupidity.

It would be stupid if they made female space marines. 40k space-marines are space-monks. Their female equivalent are space-nuns = Sisters of Battle. The game could make a character class which's space marine for males and sister of battle for females though that wouldn't suit the fluff. Maybe the male equivalent would be a novice so he wouldn't have that beast armor. If they included both factions you'd have an all-female class, balancing things. Besides, it doesn't make sense to say

"I love this group so much which has being all men as one of its' fundamental defining features. I'm a woman and I want to be a member."

That's like a midget wanting to play in the NBA.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper:

J03bot:
For the greater good? The greater good...

Why yes, Hot Fuzz pretty much is the funniest buddy cop movie, ever. Good on ya!

Gildan Bladeborn:
(snip)

I've seen a small all-female Space Marine army fielded simply because the guy liked to troll the people who take the game too seriously. Also to see if he was good at sculpting ladies out of the Green Stuff. (Honestly? He wasn't.)

Someone else was inspired by this and took his entire Catachan force and, for one battle, put loosely-stuck pink stickers on the sides of his infantry's bases and made no other modifications beyond that. Claimed that they were Catachan's only all-female regiment.

Yes, the joke was funnier if you saw it in person.

The catachan's don't have to be male do they? I've got a foot in my door lore wise but I think it was mostly just the marines that had no females because if I remember correctly, they TRIED to use the geneseed on females.... and it didn't turn out so well...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here