Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 20 NEXT

no forge, custom games, multiplayer or firefight review. I guess multiplayer is sorta understandable why he didn't review it but come on the others are all playable by yourself or even with buddies in real life.

Yahtzee... what you don't have is an understanding of the Halo storyline... at all. What you do have is an amazing sense of humor that completely outweighs and makes up for any downfalls you may have had. I myself am a Halo fanboy as much as you're probably a SH fanboy, and I'm okay admitting that. And I still love your videos. Keep doing what you do best, and I'll keep enjoying every minute of it. BTW, Reach isn't at the start of the Human-Covenant War, it's about 50 years into it. I know you don't care, but I can't help but point that out. :P Also, 343 Industries is in charge of Halo now, so it's not that there won't be any more HALO games... it's just that this was the last one by Bungie. So yeah, it's a complete sellout and capitalization on the fan base, yeah it's never going to end when it probably should have, and yeah... I'm probably going to continue to buy and play the games. :P

MonkeyPunch:

WilliamRLBaker:

and they eventually grew to love it. Don't take stuff out of context.

First off, what am I taking out of context and how?

Secondly I've never read anything about them growing to love it. All I've ever read is that the entire studio hated the "Combat Evolved" part and merely grew to accept it.

your taking it out of context by not including the fact they grew to like it.
you made a statement basically saying they were forced and without the context its like your saying they were forced and didn't like it.
but in reality they were asked to add the title and did, didn't like it then grew to like it.

ProfessorLayton:
You already made the "Hello, Goodbye" pun on the Halo 3 video... or was that intended...

I am actually surprised that he didn't tear it apart, but I still think that saying "a game has to stand up on single player alone" is a very silly statement. So is the quality of an MMO diminished because there's no mode to grind quests by yourself?

I think that it's a very cleaver statement. Not every one can play muiltplayer, so they only have the single player. And playing online has all sorts of problems that I wont even go into.

I never did like Halo, and I never will.

Ok, before I say anything, I liked the game, a lot. But honestly, Yahtzee did make very good points, and he was a lot more merciful than I expected him to be.

Honestly, seeing that he decided to actually review this game put the fear of god into my heart, atheism aside.

I disagreed on a lot of this, as was expected, being a halo fan, but that thing about the fanbase?

Absolutely totally true in every way about 98% or so of them. So sick of the idiots, but honestly, that happens in any game with online multiplayer or a following of any size.

Scarecrow 8:

ProfessorLayton:
You already made the "Hello, Goodbye" pun on the Halo 3 video... or was that intended...

I am actually surprised that he didn't tear it apart, but I still think that saying "a game has to stand up on single player alone" is a very silly statement. So is the quality of an MMO diminished because there's no mode to grind quests by yourself?

I think that it's a very cleaver statement. Not every one can play muiltplayer, so they only have the single player. And playing online has all sorts of problems that I wont even go into.

Well there is the online multiplayer and there is the lan multiplayer, which is just as fun when you have a couple of buddies to play with. He should have still reviewed co-op, firefight multiplayer and competitive multiplayer. Plus when you buy a halo game, you know that halo is mostly about the multiplayer

james castle:

Andy of Comix Inc:

ProfessorLayton:

A game WITH single-player has to stand up on it alone. Obviously it doesn't count of it's a multiplayer-only genre or title.

Some games (Unreal Tournament 3, Universe at War, what have you) just throw in single-player because they can, without much forethought.

Wait. What? So if a game is multiplayer only it is judged by that standard but if it has any single player mode the multiplayer side can/should be ignored entirely? How the what?

Assuming a game has an actual story mode (and not some trumped-up bot match), then, yeah, I think you can focus like a laser-beam on the single player mode, because there's a lot of people who are going to be doing just that.

The most glaring exceptions I see to this rule are on-line tournament games (Unreal Tournament or Quake Arena), which have a single player campaign which is a glorified tutorial for the on-line experience... although I was quite the fan of Unreal Tournament without going on-line with it, because it did deliver the thrills of multiplayer to the single player. Then you have the Co-Op horde levels like Left 4 Dead, which, unless I'm mistaken, has no single player story. In both of these cases, the almost sole focus was multi-player and as long as the reviewer makes it quite clear that there's no real single player game here, then judging them as a multiplayer-only experience is cool.

Games like Halo and Quake are very focused on multiplayer and it's probably no surprise that I take a dim view of their single player campaigns, because what makes a wonderfully balanced MP experience pretty much bores me to tears in single player. I don't want a rocket launcher that is perfectly balanced with the assault rifle... I want a rocket launcher that helps me mow through the hordes of super-tough baddies that ought to be showing up late in the game. I want a rocket launcher that is my one and only hope against a rampaging Cyber-Demon. And, ultimately, MP focused games tend to give us the same-old, same-old in single player. An assault rifle, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, a sniper rifle, maybe some alien equivalents... and I want shrink rays and cannons and voodoo dolls.

Xarhs Vrentas:

Scarecrow 8:

ProfessorLayton:

Well there is the online multiplayer and there is the lan multiplayer, which is just as fun when you have a couple of buddies to play with. He should have still reviewed co-op, firefight multiplayer and competitive multiplayer. Plus when you buy a halo game, you know that halo is mostly about the multiplayer

I can see what your getting at, but there are some people(like my self) who don't have LAN or online. So single player is all we got.

No Forge or Firefight? They seemed like important parts of the game. To explain the seating, they use magnets. Yes, they have magnets on your bum and feet to keep you from slipping off aircraft. Much faster than a 3 second seatbelt move.

Scarecrow 8:

Xarhs Vrentas:

Scarecrow 8:

ProfessorLayton:

I can see what your getting at, but there are some people(like my self) who don't have LAN or online. So single player is all we got.

Wait a minute... You don't even have a spare controller or something like that?

i liked the single player but if i dont have 3-4 friends online the online sucks

I never got into Halo nor understood it.. It was Xbox exclusive and came out a year later on PC when it was dull, silly and obsolete.

This being the major Xbox selling point because it was exclusive and all.. the whole idea of getting excited in a multiplayer world around a bunch of kids with semi-aimbots always kind of confused me..

It's kinda like playing poker with everybody gotting a behind mirror... you always know what the other party is doing

meh i was expecting him to hate it and i was right so im the fanboy who didnt get pissed hahahahahahahahahahahahaha but seriously the space combat was fun yet short but i still loved the game

Yahtzee actually somewhat enjoys a Halo game?! Wow im amazed!

Halo 1 was a great game, only 8 weapons, great level design, a not too horrible story, and good multi player. Ever since then it's gotten progressively worse and has become complex, predictable, and BORING. Also, Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to add in so much extra 3rd Person shit? I must say though, the worst thing about reach is the fact that it was made with the Havok engine. So what Bungie, after 8 games (Marathon counts) you finally got too poor to make it yourselves? decided to use the same fucking engine that was used to make Wolfenstien?

Well, That was unexpected.

I was expecting a disembowelment, not something like this.

nik3daz:
Repetitive gameplay? Are you kidding? Every headshot, every twitch kill is a completely new and different experience from the last. Like in the degrees you turn. And who you're killing. And stuff.

...That's like saying office work isn't repetitive because every group of words you write/type is completely different from the last.

Halo may be about multi player now, but I remember Halo 1 where you could have just as much fun in SP or Co-Op as in MP

This is about the only ZP video I haven't watched and don't plan to, because I imagine it going down the way his Halo 3 review did: a bunch of stuff that sounds like he's describing Half-Life 2.

Fuuuuuuck microsoft!!!!!!!!
What yahtzee says is true and it makes me sad. Microsoft will dig up this buried corpse and feed it to the vultures.
Anyway. I'm surprised by the small number of fan-boy's flaming. Usually when he takes down a popular game some fan-boy chucks a tantrum and i could never understand why. I'm a fan of halo, oblivion, mass effect 2 and April fools yet i didn't spaz out when he reviewed those. I'd also like to say, these video's shouldn't be taken seriously. It's all for shit's and giggles anyway. Why do you care about his opinion on an opinion based subject? But and i also see the refusal to review multi-player as not a big deal, because as I said earlier, it's only entertainment.

I bought Oni was back before Windows XP. At the time, I had Windows 2000 and the Oni system requirements listed that Windows 2000 was supported. But when I tried installing the game, I was presented with a lame dialog explaining that the device drivers that Oni needed weren't yet ready for Windows 2000, and that I should submit my e-mail address so that they could let me know when the drivers were ready.

Instead of fooling around with a vague promise of device drivers, the next day I took Oni back to the Game Stop and got a refund. They initially protested that they wouldn't refund opened games, but couldn't argue when I pointed out that the box clearly claimed Windows 2000 support that it didn't have.

Spencer Brower:
Halo 1 was a great game, only 8 weapons, great level design, a not too horrible story, and good multi player. Ever since then it's gotten progressively worse and has become complex, predictable, and BORING. Also, Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to add in so much extra 3rd Person shit? I must say though, the worst thing about reach is the fact that it was made with the Havok engine. So what Bungie, after 8 games (Marathon counts) you finally got too poor to make it yourselves? decided to use the same fucking engine that was used to make Wolfenstien?

Marathon was part of Halo series? :S

when the fuck did that happen =|

FlyAwayAutumn:
no forge, custom games, multiplayer or firefight review. I guess multiplayer is sorta understandable why he didn't review it but come on the others are all playable by yourself or even with buddies in real life.

Firefight from what I can tell is a massive waste of time.

I played one solo yesterday, took me like 25 minutes and got to the 4th wave and at the end of it all I got was like 60 friggin credits. 60???? For real??? What the hell's the point of that shit. I get more off the lotto machine on any deathmatch.

y1fella:
Fuuuuuuck microsoft!!!!!!!!
What yahtzee says is true and it makes me sad. Microsoft will dig up this buried corpse and feed it to the vultures.

So what? You think just because Bungie doesn't do the next halo game that it's automatically going to be bad? Halo Wars wasn't done by bungie and it's one of the best in the series for multiplayer at least. One of my friends is still playing it actively.

Artemus_Cain:
One last thing, Escapsit. Please, please, please, please, PLEASE stop with that stupid Slim Jim commercial. I know they're giving you money, but can you please just put a banner ad or soemthing? It's too long, it's stupid, it's geared to six year olds, and it definatly doesn't make me want to buy any. Frankly, I'm insulted everytime I see it, and I have to put up with it almost every time I watch a damn movie here. I go on this site everyday, but I'm concidering stopping if this keeps up and I'm probably not the only one.

If you give Escapist the token amount of membership money, then you aren't presented with advertisements. Might make things a little more bearable for you.

EightGaugeHippo:
I just noticed he didnt say anything was terible. A few flaws, But nothing major.

I think he said that it was mostly nothing new, that the couple of new aspects (that had potential) were over much too quick, and the story was entirely predictable. <grin>

Expectedly "out of left field" there.
I wonder if you worried that hating stuff will make people think you liking something is just done to make them surprised now, Yahtzee?

So he's reviewed what, 2? 3? Halo games now? One of which was an RTS?

An SC2 review is long overdue. SC2 fans certainly don't expect him to gush over it, we know what his reviews are like, but I do think he would actually appreciate the Galaxy Editor, seeing as it would not at all be hard to make his "ideal RTS" concept in it. Furthermore, it's one game that can stand up solely on multiplayer (which will be even better 5 years from now than it is now) that absolutely doesn't have to.

Jedi Sasquatch:

L4Y Duke:
Uh, I don't think Yahtzee's as well-read on the Halo story as he thinks

...Did you see what he said near the beginning of the review? You know, how he said "apparently you have to have done all that to know what the fuck's going on"? He clearly admitted that he hardly knows anything about the Halo story.

Good point, well delivered.

Wait...Bungie made Oni?
I'll completely have to reevaluate them now cause they at least did one good game and I was oblivious to that fact...

I hate all the damn halo nerds going on about the online anyway. Online on halo is shit and the single player isn't much better.

What the hell is Oni? I had never heard of it until today!

Vzzdak:

Artemus_Cain:
One last thing, Escapsit. Please, please, please, please, PLEASE stop with that stupid Slim Jim commercial. I know they're giving you money, but can you please just put a banner ad or soemthing? It's too long, it's stupid, it's geared to six year olds, and it definatly doesn't make me want to buy any. Frankly, I'm insulted everytime I see it, and I have to put up with it almost every time I watch a damn movie here. I go on this site everyday, but I'm concidering stopping if this keeps up and I'm probably not the only one.

If you give Escapist the token amount of membership money, then you aren't presented with advertisements. Might make things a little more bearable for you.

At least it isn't like stupid ass Gametrailers.com they play the same stupid Red Dead Redemption commercial on every ad for about 2wks now.

I gotta agree with Yahtzee the game is pretty good but at heart I'm just a 3rd person kind of guy. I just never got how the 1st was called combat evolved when there really wasn't anything new.

One last thing, Escapsit. Please, please, please, please, PLEASE stop with that stupid Slim Jim commercial. I know they're giving you money, but can you please just put a banner ad or soemthing? It's too long, it's stupid, it's geared to six year olds, and it definatly doesn't make me want to buy any. Frankly, I'm insulted everytime I see it, and I have to put up with it almost every time I watch a damn movie here. I go on this site everyday, but I'm concidering
stopping if this keeps up and I'm probably not the only one.
I agree!

and i enjoyed halo reach (forge is the highlight)

HEY MAN I RATHER ENJOY HALO REACH RAGE RAGE RAGE

But you know what, I'm not even mad because people can have their own opinions and I will respect said opinions. Although everyone should know that in order to have a legit opinion of this game, you actually need to have played it before. Don't go saying you don't like green eggs and ham if you've never tried it.

Akalabeth:

Firefight from what I can tell is a massive waste of time.

I played one solo yesterday, took me like 25 minutes and got to the 4th wave and at the end of it all I got was like 60 friggin credits. 60???? For real??? What the hell's the point of that shit. I get more off the lotto machine on any deathmatch.

>played one solo
Well there's your problem right there

Also guys getting pissed off thanks to video advertisements, get yourself some Firefox and the AdBlock Plus add-on. You can thank me later.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here