Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

I registered just to say this was the best review yet. Telling what you did in the game in-character made for a much more immersive narrative. FNV is better than F3 and I really like it but it's also very buggy.

Goodness, Yahtzee was rushing through that game--I thought I got to New Vegas a bit ahead of schedule, and I had about 5000 caps and a couple of weeks of game time under my belt beforehand. Great review, though -- it's great to see a review that isn't just complaining about the bugs.

ED: I'd kind of been hoping that Yahtzee would get jumped by Deathclaws rather than Cazadors on his northerly shortcut...I was really wondering what ZP art he'd break out for a Deathclaw...

Very cool =)

What's the big deal with immersion, anyway?

But it is true, rifle sights suck.6

I turned off "True Iron Sights" in the options to go back to FO3's zoom effect.

Love the analogy of having a prison spike hammered up your ass.

Hilarious.

Haha.

More RP segments. I was never gonna buy Fallout anyway but I quite enjoyed the RP.

Master10K:

Leviathan_:
I knew you were going to comment on the bugs.

You can't really talk about New Vegas without at least mentioning the bugs. Shame he didn't mention the more humorous bugs & glitches.

Sadly, the funny ones are not the most common ones. I personally never have the fortune of running into bugs that are funny. The bugs I've run into (that I noticed) where:

Hilariously bad performance (resolved by forcing the game to use a different version of d3d9)
Crash to Desktop (mitigated by regularly purging the cell buffer)
Disappearing save files (mitigated by turning of Steam Cloud for the game, resolved by writing a small program that properly renames the latest autosave)
Crash not to Desktop (same as the CTD only slightly more annoying).

many people:
Where was the review?

Does a review really have to be in a big box with a fluorescent label that says "REVIEW" on it for you to realise what it is? The review is right in front of you. Watch the video again and notice how Yahtzee makes little criticisms throughout his story - a story of his experience playing the game. Hmmm... I'm sure there's a word for something like that...

aristos_achaion:
Goodness, Yahtzee was rushing through that game--I thought I got to New Vegas a bit ahead of schedule, and I had about 5000 caps and a couple of weeks of game time under my belt beforehand. Great review, though -- it's great to see a review that isn't just complaining about the bugs.

ED: I'd kind of been hoping that Yahtzee would get jumped by Deathclaws rather than Cazadors on his northerly shortcut...I was really wondering what ZP art he'd break out for a Deathclaw...

On my first play though I was broke by the time I hit vegas because I always felt the need to purchase every Stimpack and doctor bag I could find and constantly bought shiny new things that were only marginally better than my rusty old things. On my second play through I had enormous piles of money because I realized if I was simply not stupid when playing I wouldn't need a billion stimpacks and doctor bags and felt no need to check out shiny new things when I could just find a version of it eventually for free anyhow.

Roofstone:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?

Not being able to use stimpaks to heal limbs does at a challenge to the game that it really generally lacked on my first playthrough. You do seem to get dehydrated really often though. Plus sodas making you thirsty is really stupid (diuretics don't dehydrate you, they just make you piss more, having it temporarily increase the rate of dehydration would make more sense).

Aside from crashes (which elevated much higher when using mods for whatever reason) and the occasional glitched enemy are annoying the bad design decisions are much worse in my opinion... stuff like the very obvious and intrusive invisible walls in places, loosing karma for stealing from enemy factions who you have just murdered to death and stripped naked, having people turn hostile because the game didnt give indication that the phrase they were starting to say was "If you come any closer I'm authorised to shoot!", odd karma losses, and generally the game getting very easy later on (especially when you get a companion, at lower levels they're 4x as powerful as you). Still a very good game though, but there were a few rough edges I really wish they'd smoothed out.

To the poster beneath me: Not really, on my second playthrough I got there and inside in under an hour or two I'd say.

Holy god, I hadn't realized what a lazy fuck Yahtzee was until now. He skipped literally like every story element and all the faction stuff in favor of sprinting straight to New Vegas, which can be and generally is the finale of the game.

It's kind of hard to critique generic shooters and other similar shit games made for people with ADD when you can't spend more than ten hours on RPGs with fifty hours of available gameplay. Jesus.

Yea, yea, I know Yahtzee isn't a real reviewer/critic, but this particular installment of ZP wasn't really funny at all, either. I was more interested in what Yahtzee was doing with his character until it became blatantly obvious that he wasn't making any real attempt to immerse himself in the game.

I share Yahtzee's disappointment, as I was really into his day by day telling of New Vegas only to have it end suddenly after a crash.

I think it would be awesome if he did an entire game play through like this; it'd be like the Unskippable Let's Play only cartoonier.

Well I didn't see that coming for this review, I rather enjoyed this little take on a review and the music made me giggle everytime I saw a new day pop up on screen. Now I have that song stuck in my head and everything. I love the idea of international "Go fuck yourself" laws when it comes to "stealing" things from raiders and bad guys.

Xzi:
Holy god, I hadn't realized what a lazy fuck Yahtzee was until now. He skipped literally like every story element and all the faction stuff in favor of sprinting straight to New Vegas, which can be and generally is the finale of the game.

It's kind of hard to critique generic shooters and other similar shit games made for people with ADD when you can't spend more than ten hours on RPGs with fifty hours of available gameplay. Jesus.

Yea, yea, I know Yahtzee isn't a real reviewer/critic, but this particular installment of ZP wasn't really funny at all, either. I was more interested in what Yahtzee was doing with his character until it became blatantly obvious that he wasn't making any real attempt to immerse himself in the game at all.

Boom. Personally I usually find these 'reviews' pretty funny little mickey-takes of games, but this.. nah.

Soda (especially cola) contains caffeine, which is a diuretic. As the name suggests it's a drug that increases urination which will affect the intake of water.

A Pious Cultist:

Roofstone:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?

Not being able to use stimpaks to heal limbs does at a challenge to the game that it really generally lacked on my first playthrough. You do seem to get dehydrated really often though. Plus sodas making you thirsty is really stupid (diuretics don't dehydrate you, they just make you piss more, having it temporarily increase the rate of dehydration would make more sense).

You've never been through high school health class? Try drinking a bunch of soda and going for a run. Yea, it dehydrates you. It's basically sugar water with a nice glob of syrup thrown in there for funzies.

Not that I don't enjoy soda myself, but yea, it's not something you want to drink while working out. Or doing anything strenuous.

I've played the game through now once and second time on the run. First time I played with Hard difficulty and now I'm going on Very Hard and both times I've set the Hardcore mode on. It gives me the mandatory element of role-playing that I've always tried to have with my Fallouts. And luckily I'm one of the few that have the game working nice with no freezes and crashes.

IMO if you love Fallout 1 and 2, here's the third for you. Fallout 3 was good game and all, but this one earns the title Fallout 3 in my shelf.

And thanks Yahtzee once again for review that was something very own of you and as humoring as always.

Grey_Focks:
Okay Yahtzee, I may regularly disagree with your reviews and opinions and such, but this video proves it- You need to start making Let's Plays. Seriously, I'd watch them.

Please?

I whole heartedly agree.

Hm...... I don't get it. Am i missing somthing? And by it i mean the review.

Who's the guy at 04:55?

Clever, making the video appear to freeze up four minutes in. You know, like the game itself!

That was the funniest of the more recent videos, and I a lot of people seem to agree. I think it's clear why; Yahtzee's videos, though I am not in any way criticizing them, are not a delicate artform. It's fast paced entertainment that doesn't leave us waiting for the next part at any point and there is nothing wrong with that (especially not when it has actual brains behind it, like ZP does)
Thus, YAHTZEE NEEDS GIMMICKS!

Moar and moar of them. All the time. Because they grab attention quickly and that's all we need ;D No more clever opinions!

Great review!
Been thinking of getting the game for quite a while now. Really enjoyed Fallout 3, so I hope it'll be fun.

Kind of sad with all the bugs though. The third one had a share of annoying stuff, mainly freezing up, but I haven't seen too many of them in a while now. Maybe it has been fixed?

Ok, that was entertaining.

I am kinda surprised, your PC did not melt in to a plastic goo.

All the same I am surprised your game only budged out once, I my game crashed 4 time before I got to Novack.

I'd love more reviews like this :D

Disappointing review. Couldnt careless that he disliked the game thats what his reviews are all about. But yahtzee can still make comment on things that are good. And to say that its totally the same as fallout 3 is clearly wrong.

Also didnt find the 3 day adventure style of review very funny either.

Oh well better luck next week.

teebeeohh:
the problem with hardcore mode is that the eating/drinking/sleeping mechanics are just a variation of using stims to recover HP. The thing that makes it harder is that ammo has weight (but this only applies to gun-focused builds) and that you can't just rush into a hord of supermutants and stim you way out(because stims take time and there are no hordes of supermutants in the Mojave)

well healing is not that big an issue in hc you just need to stack healing stuff stim pack, some food, some beverage all give +hp recovery for x amt of time. fact that game pauses while you eat drink and stim during a fight is kinda lame tho. but a adult deathclaw will ruin your day in a hurry no matter how much stuff you swallow or shoot up.

hydra is great for limbs but is also addictive as hell, your status monitor you can choose what limbs to use doctors kits and stim packs on which helps.

ammo is the big issues in hc mode, as well as pure water and other stuff, micromanaging your inventory in hc mode is the biggest pita when you got to carry enough drinks, food, heal items to stand up in combat plus enough ammo for your various guns. fact in the vanilla game you cannot bottle pure water is a bit of a huh and duh factor lest on pc we got mods that allow that but that almost makes the game too easy early on but it is sensible, end game when your killing legions left and right they drop purified water at a almost stupid rate.

quest gltches are the worst of the lot some of them are game breaking, lest i lost about 30 hours to quest glitch plus saves going bad.

Love this review. Really enjoyed how you approached it this time.

btw, soda does dehydrate you in real life too. you know, because of all the sodium and sugars in it.

Roofstone:

Little bit 'o' both. For the love of christ, just take the time to be prepared when you set off and keep an eye out for anything even vaguely edible when you come across a scavenging site. If you charge on regardless, you'll find yourself suddenly smacked in the face halfway through a usually immersive game with a warning of starvation, dehydration or sleep deprivation and realize that your manful stride has now been tripped up a bit because all you can think about is getting the supplies you need... so yeah, just take a minute to keep well-stocked. And limit your guns and ammo if you value inventory space, because as you may well be aware, ammo now has a weight value.

New patch and whatnot has apparently fixed the issues. Not the point, but hey.

great review, tho Yatzee seam to have left his glasses at home and played New Vegas in a blur and missed all the small details that kinda makes his "copy/paste my opinions on Fallout 3" bit at the start a bit off.

Yeah, the characters that tell you not to go north, along with the various dangerous wildlife out that way, were kinda just put in to be annoying.

But the hostage situation was so you could ask where the guy who stole your McGuffin (and shot you in the head) went. Since they were the hired thugs from the beginning and all.

In addition, things that happen further along in the game during Hardcore mode include recruited people dying and ammo weighing you down.

And I agree, the freezing is annoying.

PS: Soda (and booze) actually do make you thirsty. As for the plus and minus signs, it (like the other Hardcore gauges) are basically re-worked versions of radiation.

Personally, I love the game, despite sometimes wanting to beat it to a bloody pulp. Largely because I took Bloody Mess, and can make people explode in twelve hundred directions at once.

Maybe it's just because of my giant army of powerful robots. Or because I keep playing after a single incident. On an unrelated note, it took me a solid minute to get the Chzo games functional, due to the passage of time. Those games are awesome.

One of the best I've seen in a while!

Soda has sugar in it which dehydrates you, its common sense.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here