Name Game: Thankful or Fearful

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Pirate Kitty:
Oh, how dare I not know what goes on in America. Heaven forbid that countries custom not be endorsed by all others!

Oh, how dare you use a aggressive tone because you're lost on a comic storyline, while sneaking in a remark about the country!

For those who don't understand, Black Friday is a day after Thanksgiving where most stores have major sales. This causes a lot of people to attend. A lot of people attending wanting to get into a store. Thus in return a simple delayed opening can make a LOT of unhappy people. Case in point, I believe it was two years ago when a young employee at a major store (I forgot which store) was trying to help prepare things while the store was about to open. People outside waited all day and didn't want to wait anymore, they burst through the store when it was finally opened, trampling the young man to death, while they continued shopping.

It's a stupid ploy by the companies here, and anyone who part-takes must be seriously desperate for the sale or crazy to risk themselves in such situations, because no sane person would go for a regular shopping day on Black Friday.

Celtic_Kerr:
The sad part is I forgot it was black friday once, and for some reason Americans tend to think that Canada has Thanksgiving at the sametime. He have it in early-mid October. Well a bunch of Americans came to Canada for fuck-know-why, and the game stores we LITERAL stampedes. THere was elbowing, kicking, shoving, and I think I saw a headbutt... Just to make sure no one stepped anywhere near the game you MAYBE POTENTIALLY want

aren't...things cheaper in the states???

edit: americans are confusing

I think I'll just leave this here :P

FOR TONIGHT, WE DINE IN HELL!

wasalp:

Celtic_Kerr:
The sad part is I forgot it was black friday once, and for some reason Americans tend to think that Canada has Thanksgiving at the sametime. He have it in early-mid October. Well a bunch of Americans came to Canada for fuck-know-why, and the game stores we LITERAL stampedes. THere was elbowing, kicking, shoving, and I think I saw a headbutt... Just to make sure no one stepped anywhere near the game you MAYBE POTENTIALLY want

aren't...things cheaper in the states???

edit: americans are confusing

Yes, things are cheaper in the states, hence Canadians going to the states to buy things on black friday during a massive sale, because then it's EVEN CHEAPER. So Canadian businesses throw a sale of their own, to get profit that would have been spent on American products.

Nincompoop:
What a racist jerk.

Why is it racist? Because he use the term 'black friday' about a sale? There is no racial intention in the strip.

GamesB2:
Ha that's quite funny...

Pirate Kitty:
I so don't get it.

What part of it don't you get?

Black Friday is where a lot of game stores in America have large sales and discounts.

Thanks for clarifying it for us European people. Sounds like a fun day!

Straying Bullet:
Thanks for clarifying it for us European people. Sounds like a fun day!

I'm from the UK. I just read some news articles about it.

Is she referencing Full Metal Jacket?
Have you heard the word?

Pirate Kitty:
I so don't get it.

Your obviously not american its ok we don't hold it agianst you.

As someone who worked in retail for nine years, I can only say... that the girl on the left is not NEARLY armored enough.

Folks, the reason it's called "Black Friday" is because it's usually the first day of the fiscal year that most retailers get "in the black" (recording a profit, rather than "in the red", losing money). The one-upsmanship that major retailer chains pull on each other has gotten so ridiculous in recent years that, combined with a waning sense of community and rising greed in the majority of shoppers, having incidents like the Wal-Mart trampling mentioned above is only going to become more prevalent, rather than less.

Myself, I am going to do my utmost to not set foot inside a store (aside from grocery shopping and necessary items) between now and Christmas. It's just too insane.

Is there going to be a online shopping black Friday? there should be.
Please steam and newegg.. please...

Nincompoop:
What a racist jerk.

What how is that... Ooooh I see what you did there.

SO uh, why is it called Black Friday?

tharglet:

Pirate Kitty:
I so don't get it.

Not sure what Australia has, but for the UK, the closest thing to Black Friday is the post-Christmas sales rush, where things can get a little... hysteric.

Boxing Day sales, Dec 26, everything - EVERYTHING is half price so stores if they're not on holiday, get stormed.

I am glad that I do not work a retail job.

Lord Thodin:
I work at a Wal-Mart Supercenter in America. Black Friday is like D-Day for us.....

I feel for you.

Iv got a buddy who works at a Best Buy....he is going to work at 4 AM on Friday, and he works in the Game section of the store.
*shudders*

Me, i work at a fast food place and iv only got to be at work at 7.
Plus there is a concrete wall between me and the people so im safe.

OT:i feel for those who haft to work in retail on BF....
And i just got home from eating Lunner(Lunch/Dinner) with family, what more do you want?

One of the few days of the year that I'm glad that I work in the fast food industry, not retail.

/sigh...

Man, I wish I could go shopping tomorrow. Before Black Friday got deadly, it wasn't that bad when I went to Circuit City years ago.

Pirate Kitty:

GamesB2:
Ha that's quite funny...

Pirate Kitty:
I so don't get it.

What part of it don't you get?

Black Friday is where a lot of game stores in America have large sales and discounts.

Oh, how dare I not know what goes on in America. Heaven forbid that countries custom not be endorsed by all others!

Chill the fuck out, he was just stating what it was, no need to jump on him.

This calls for Strong Bad saying "Doodly Wow."

Am I the only one that thinks the Pillow Armour is really cute? And where did they get the helmet from?

Anyway, loved this one because I got it!

What on Earth is Black Friday?

Heh, yeah. Anyone who has worked at a gaming store, or retail in general really, will understand this. I basically spend the day cowering in the corner whenever I was forced to work Black Friday. So glad I don't work at Bestbuy anymore!

even though i get the joke the truth of it is lost to me being Canadian and not having black Friday and all. Do people want stuff that bad?

Pirate Kitty:

Speaking as an American, one of our biggest faults is that we forget that America is not the entire world. i.e., we forget that other countries have different customs. That is until we want to make fun of them.

Another point is that, unless somebody is clearly typing in another language, to us English implies you're American. There are no accents online, so it's quite an easy mistake really.

But yeah....I have worked in retail on Black Friday in the past. The memories still haunt me. I had to come in at 11:00 PM the night before to open at 1:00 AM. When I came in I literally had to push people in tents out of the way of the door.

A friend of mine, he's 6'5", got trampled and knocked down by a short elderly woman at a Target one year, after which a number of people literally tried to walk on him. His girlfriend had to yell to get people off of him so he stand up again. If you've ever wanted to see people at their most dip-shit behavior (apart from Glenn Beck rallies) this is the day.

The Jakeinator:

SL33TBL1ND:
What on Earth is Black Friday?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Wikipedia+Black+Friday

Haha, well played.

But yeah, I had no idea since we don't have Thanksgiving here.

DeanoTheGod:

tharglet:

Pirate Kitty:
I so don't get it.

Not sure what Australia has, but for the UK, the closest thing to Black Friday is the post-Christmas sales rush, where things can get a little... hysteric.

It's a time to pause.. and think of those poor poor retail workers getting the flak from all directions.... Hmmm... idea for an FPS...?

I once worked retail at a popular store on Black Friday. It is not an experience I would like to repeat.

Is that a soldiers stash on his head? XD

All I have to say is, Jack smokes Marlboro Red's. Fuckin high 5 on that one!

Irony's Acolyte:
Well that just made Black Friday sound 100% cooler than it really is. Sounded like something along the lines of "Judgement Day", rather than just some shopping holiday.

If i'm not wrong with the few info i got, IT IS judgement day, like that clerk who died under the thoulsands feets of angry customers, having his arms and legs broken.

Second best comic on the Escapist comes through again in fine style!

(Sorry about the second best thing but I still have to give Stolen Pixels top spot, you're miles above some of the other stuff I find on the web though)

I'll stop rambling, great comic, wasn't even American but I got it and found it very funny, please do more comics more often.

DeanoTheGod:

tharglet:

Pirate Kitty:
I so don't get it.

It's a time to pause.. and think of those poor poor retail workers getting the flak from all directions.... Hmmm... idea for an FPS...?

First Person Shoper?

Pirate Kitty:
I so don't get it.

Crazed, blood thirsty shoppers go storming into stores for "Great deals" at 3am in the morning on Black Friday....It's a terrifying experience that you're lucky for not knowing about.

Happy Late Thanksgiving XD

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or