Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

"our Canada."

HEY! Just what's that supposed to mean?

Eyelicker:

WingedFortress:
I would urge England to keep identifying with the Americans at every corner. Mabye if you fight enough of their wars, and adopt enough of their bad habits, you can also have an epic economic failure and alienate yourselves from the rest of the world.

And Wales! Feel free to come by for some free fresh water, food, oil and money. We have plenty here in Canada.

Love,

Winnipeg.

Chillout butthurt Canadian bro, it's just a funny funny joke

and we're all good for fresh water, food, oil and money too! In fact last time I checked The US and UK were way richer than you crazy Canucks with your milk in bags and fetching tartan jackets.

Haha! Your dollars always down, ours keeps going up. Did you hear we made 200,00+ jobs in the last two years? I also like that all your unemployed keep running up here to make money! Actually, that last part was wrong. I don't like that a bunch of deadbeat americans keep running into our cities. Never mind all the water we *give* you..yeesh.

But thats okay, because I wasn't being very serious in my first post anyway. I actually have yet to meet an Englander I don't like, and despite all the bad press I keep hearing about the States, most of them are fantastic people face to face. Mabye not you, but most of them!

So chill out dude! Don't let the internet get ya so riled up!

Hey! That living room is almost big enough to play kinect with 4 players!

Wolfram01:
Hmm don't really get the anti Welsh, nor as a Canadian, the anti-Canadian in this strip. A bit offensive really. Why don't you go back to making strips about gaming?

I never realized Canadians got offended by anti-Canada jokes. I thought it was mutually agreed that nobody actually hates Canada because there isn't the slightest reason to. So acting like you do is funny. Kind of like wearing a shirt that says "I hate babies".

Hey now watch it. We Canadians are ten times better than you are. :)

Six pages, and still no "canada on strike" references?

Internet, I am disappoint :|

tehbeard:

WingedFortress:
I would urge England to keep identifying with the Americans at every corner. Mabye if you fight enough of their wars, and adopt enough of their bad habits, you can also have an epic economic failure and alienate yourselves from the rest of the world.

Goverment certainly seems to be trying there damm hardest to out do the US on economic failure, or at the very least pulling the rug from under everyones feet.
If it keeps going the way it is I will be jumping ship soon as I have my degree, UK is looking less friendly to the working class by the day.

OT and more cheery: Fantastic to see a web comic poke fun at the english/welsh "special relationship".

It does unfortunately seem to be the case. Things needn't be too late though - as long as your willing to cut alot of those bonds with America, and leave them to their own squabbles in the middle east. Hell - the Canadian government would be well advised to take the exact same advice. We just have the current advantage of a low population and an abundance of resources.

Also - good job on catching some of the tongue and cheek in my comment. Too many Americans can't take a tough bit of criticism, but nearly every Englander I met can. Its that dry sarcasm we adopted from you guys. It's what makes me hope you guy's will be alright.

That being said, if things seem too awful back in England, feel free to come over here for a beer and a big plate of bacon covered in maple syrup while things cool down.

Continuity:

Irridium:

Woodsey:

You've never heard of Wales? O.o

In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.

Urmmmm... Sheep molesting?

Isn't that New Zealand's thing?

erbkaiser:
I don't see the problem with the West English. Sure their language is incomprehensible, but it's a nice little country.

Welsh is derived from the Saxon "Waelsc", meaning foreigners or strangers. Nothing to do with West English... Indeed the first concept of "Angle-und" or England came about in the late Ninth Century, I think, and realised in the early 900s.

Edited to snip quote.

TheGuy(wantstobe):
Nice use of getting crap past the censors. For those who don't know any welsh cach is shit and haliwr is wanker :P

edit: the title is In Dragon Shit

Really? I google translated it, and "Cach" came out as "Small", and "Haliwr" came out as... Haliwr. And "Y Ddraig Cach" came out as "The Small Dragon".

Fucking google.

Im welsh and i found it funny. :P

Bah, Canada is nobody's "Our Canada". We are a strong, independent country in our own right that doesn't rely on anyone's charity. All Canadians, take a moment and sing our anthem with pride!

Canadians are a little prickly on this issue, it depends how tongue in cheek the joke is. We don't mind South Park's "Blame Canada" because its ridiculous, but if you call us "the 51st state" you will see that all Canadians carry a little Wolverine-style berserker rage inside. A good equivalent would be how New Jersey can make fun of itself, but they won't take any crap from New Yorkers. Hey, it's tough to live next to a self-obsessed super-power and still feel independent.

Canadians are a little prickly on this issue, it depends how tongue in cheek the joke is. We don't mind South Park's "Blame Canada" because its ridiculous, but if you call us "the 51st state" you will see that all Canadians carry a little Wolverine-style berserker rage inside. A good equivalent would be how New Jersey can make fun of itself, but they won't take any crap from New Yorkers. Hey, it's tough to live next to a self-obsessed super-power and still feel independent.

MelonGrenade:
Hooray for casual racism
And the Republic of Ireland is our Canada.

Oi! We're no body's Canada. We have our own special place in the world as the feckin' eejits who nearly brought down the EU XD

I'm English first, British second, Europeon third and a part of this beautiful planet forth and bloody proud to be each and every one of them.

I am Welsh, and this is awesome, but we are not your Canada England!

How in the world are we the West English? We are a different country! But in all honesty, we are one of the least heard of countries in the world, because we are considered as part of England.

Jim Grim:
To be honest I never thought about Wales like that and wasn't aware that anyone did. Besides the sheep jokes, of course.

YAY! Frank Zappa!

OT: What's wrong with Canada? What's wrong with Wales? Damnit...there are too many subdivisions to hate for me to keep track! Can't I just hate everybody?

Lord_Panzer:

icyneesan:
lolz Englande

Keith K:
I fail to see how Wales and Canada are comparable.

We've got sheep humper problems, local law enforcement does what it can, but its not looking so good for farmers.

In Manitoba, maybe, where there's nothing else to do. The rest of us can occupy ourselves just fine.

Strip was kinda funny and kinda "...enhhh?"

Heeeeey, we can occupy ourselves just fine here in Manitoba without humping sheep. There's watching paint dry, wheat grow, and staring at the horizon. The very flat horizon.

And if anything, we'd hump cattle not sheep. I've not seen a single sheep in Manitoba. Not even in petting zoos.

evilmrgerbik:

So true. I've found that we can laugh at ourselves, heck even our comedians make jokes about Canada, but I haven't found a single Canadian who doesn't at least feel irritated if they get called an American. I know I would certainly be pissed off.

So Wales is England's Canada?

So, almost a copy, but somethings not quite right. They speak a little funny, and you don't really have much respect for them. Is that about right? ^_^

Of course, Americans don't really hate Canada. They're kinda like out little brother.

So our dear Erin Stout is Canadian eh?
But that reminds me...

"Cory Rydell and Grey Carter run like Welshmen."

Well it's nice at least too get my beloved Wales some form of recognition - I had a happy moment (kinda) when I read the shit dragon on the front page ^^...At least our flag isn't boring.

England is Wales Mexico...o.0

To be born Welsh
is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your blood
And poetry in your soul
- Wilfred Wilson

Irridium:

Woodsey:

standokan:
I never even heard about the welsh people before this strip but that doesn't make it less funny.

You've never heard of Wales? O.o

In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.

We were at the forefront and fuelling the industrial revolution!

We did have the longest railway station in the world and longest single span bridge for a while ...Yeah.

Ih8pkmn:

TheGuy(wantstobe):
Nice use of getting crap past the censors. For those who don't know any welsh cach is shit and haliwr is wanker :P

edit: the title is In Dragon Shit

Really? I google translated it, and "Cach" came out as "Small", and "Haliwr" came out as... Haliwr. And "Y Ddraig Cach" came out as "The Small Dragon".

Fucking google.

That would be Y ddraig fach or bach or both really...My Welsh is slipping cursed S.Walian schooling.

CYMRU AM BYTH!!!
FI GODWN NI ETO!!!

Stirps like this is yet another reason why we need to end the opression of the Welsh people by the hated English, as a born and bred Welshman ( and very proud of it) i found this strip to be typical of the attitude of the English and found it very offensive.

Well of course the welsh hate the english, but we have respect for the Irish and the Scotish...except when it comes to rugby we hate them for 80 mins but then will always take them to the pub afterwards..as long as there not english.

Oh the irony of being a Canadian but born in Wales. I still rather enjoyed it though.

I love how everyone makes fun of Canada...yet they always fail to mention that its an awesome place to live. Im sorry that we arnt the most hated country in the world like america, or that most of our people arnt obese. I love it when people make fun of us without knowing anything about us.

This is hilarious how many people are taking an issue with a webcomic playing on some nationalistic rivalry. Oh internets, you rage is without end.

So I take it that the big reveal (I only read the first page of comments, and no one mentioned it) about our protagonist- who I am assuming to be Erin, given the theme and whatnot- is Canadian?

DUN DUN DUN!

As a Canadian, I... found her reaction humorous, probably as much so as any other reader from any other country.

Heh, oh us Canucks.

Neferius:
So our dear Erin Stout is Canadian eh?

Ah, someone else noticed that part, and possibly people back in pages 2-4. I wonder how this will change the way we look at Erin Stout?

My guess: not at all. That is where I'd find the most humour, actually.

Wales isn't like Canada, Canada is a real country XD

erbkaiser:
I don't see the problem with the West English. Sure their language is incomprehensible, but it's a nice little country.

Being Cymraeg I don't see a problem with any of the English just the racist ones and the ignorant ones, and while you mention it the language isn't incomprehensible at all my friend. Yes we put adjectives before nouns, but this happens in many other languages, and people from mainland europe find it a hell of a lot easier to learn welsh than english.

Still it is quite nice.

psycoking:
So Wales is England's Canada?

So, almost a copy, but somethings not quite right. They speak a little funny, and you don't really have much respect for them. Is that about right? ^_^

No. See the English invaded, conquered and subjugated us then nicked all our fossil fuel...are relationship with England is more like that of America and the Middle Eastern countries you've been stomping on recently...also we are not a malformed copy of England, if anything Scotland is because the Scottish are all from Ireland and they killed off the Picts (orginal occupants of Scotland), the English all came from mainland europe and tried killing off the original occupants but must have ran out of steam at some point because we (the welsh and the cornish) are still here on the west coast.

Hehe. Also, are they really putting the dragon the Union Flag? (Since it's actually only a Union Jack when it's on a ship but hey). That would be badass.

If Wales is our Canada would that make Scotland our Mexico? Hmmmm we could use a fucking huge fence to keep them out of England. Actually I'm pretty sure that Scotland IS our Canada, its really cold, most of the land is covered in Pine Trees and there are more cows than people.

They do make really nice Steak Pies though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here