Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Haha, now I actually feel less bad for getting interested in a bit of WoW again. Played it a couple of years ago, when apparently I was too thick to figure out why "soloing with a holy priest" even sounds bad on paper.
The numbers really are a weak point, but on the other hand World of Warcraft has a shitload of lore and quite nice world-building. Considering to pick it up again as I most definitely didn't feel any addiction the first time. TF2 got me addicted. Over a thousand hours in like one years (although you have to substract quite a bit because of idling, but it's still way too fucking much. "Luckily" the last few updates have turned me off).

I never played it, but I agree with his points that being well made and fun or addicting or whatever is not enough to justify the cost.

It does not look fun to me, but I am guessing it is for a lot (duh) and do not even want to try. That said, I am surprised he even played it, almost as surprised that he played it before.

I have not read MOGWORLD yet; waiting for the iBooks version *HINT HINT*; and so I did not know it was WOW based, I figured it was a Ultima Online thing because all I have ever enjoyed is Ultima back in the day and I guess I was projecting.

Still kind of a funny review, not the best but at least worth of the ZP name.

Never did know what was going on in WoW. I was vaguely aware that we (the Horde) were fighting them (the Alliance), but I never really found out why. There's probably a good reason the Night Elves want to kill the nature loving Taurens, but no one ever bothered to explain it to me.

I guess you could argue that MMOs aren't about the story line, but then why would it makes us do so much faffing about to level up? And if we're meant to experience the world, why let us zip through the low level content so quickly?

Although WoW isn't the worst offender of this stuff. Just the biggest.

So, uh... did he like WoW or not? I mean, I know he called it evil and all, but everyone knows that at this point, and just becuase something is evil does not mean it's not enjoyable

Thank you for addressing the problem with raiding and instances. You're only gathering gear to gather more gear.

I played World of Warcraft for a very brief period of time(because I try things before I bash them) and I never understood the point. Once you've gathered the best gear you possibly can, there's nothing left to do but PvP, and the PvP system is so shit that it's not even worth doing.

Nimcha:

Those things aren't important at all. The endgame is. And that was pretty much the best it has ever been. Not perfect mind you, but WotLK pretty much ruined any chance of that.

That's like saying the only important part of a game is the last level. That is, it's horrendously incorrect.

He he, "it's all about numbers". Oh so true...

I am thoughrly disappointed. Next week he'll be reviewing the Mechanic. Really, where are Fable 3, and all the other NEW games out. For goodness sake it's an expansion pack. I would really like to see him review older games or at least something of interest. Morrowind mayhaps?

Awesome video! First one that made me laugh in 3 months!

For me, the game is about the PvP. Its mindless, fun and very competetive. And you can blame luck if you lose. Every time. Awesome.

If WoW had only PvE, I probably wouldve stopped 5 years ago. Loved the end conclusion on raiding: you collect gear to raid with so you can collect gear and....? Yeh, PvE in a nutshell :D

Btw: Love doing a raid one time, but just dont see the fun in doing the same bosses over and over and over....

Between the new and interesting kinds of quests, it is best to enter the game now I suppose is the best time ever to get into the game, but I am still not going into it because I don't think I would have the ability to get out if I ever started.

KalosCast:

Nimcha:

Those things aren't important at all. The endgame is. And that was pretty much the best it has ever been. Not perfect mind you, but WotLK pretty much ruined any chance of that.

That's like saying the only important part of a game is the last level. That is, it's horrendously incorrect.

In this case, it isn't. An expansion lasts about 2 years, during that time an average players spends about 80% of his time on the max level. Levelling is just building up to that.

-Samurai-:
Thank you for addressing the problem with raiding and instances. You're only gathering gear to gather more gear.

I played World of Warcraft for a very brief period of time(because I try things before I bash them) and I never understood the point. Once you've gathered the best gear you possibly can, there's nothing left to do but PvP, and the PvP system is so shit that it's not even worth doing.

That, or wait for the new content to release, level a new alt, train your professions, try a different spec ( that might require other, better gear.)

The game is hardly evil, the people that do get stuck in it are just pathetic.
And I'm totally allowed to make that judgement, for I've been a casual player for the last 6 years.

Yes, you heard me.
I have been playing this game for six years, it never bothered with my school, it never bothered with my social life, it might have kept me up a few nights for 'one more level' but hey, so did Civ V, and we're not calling that evil.

Well, we would if it was just as popular. But it isn't, so Civ V is just fun and awesome.

Stabby Joe:
That's a lot of responses from people who clearly haven't watch it.

Since I actually did however I've got a question... how does the expansion impact those who don't have it? I haven't played in a few months and am now wondering when I do I'll be on top of a mountain or beneath a whole new town.

Also, Dwarves are the only Alliance race worth playing as haha!

You are teleported to the nearest graveyard for your own convenience so you don't mess up the pathing/changed terrain and fall through the world for all eternity...

i laughed so hard at this one.
was a bit surprised when i saw it though, yahtzee and multiplayer are words you normally don't use in the same sentence. unless that sentence is "yahtzee hates multiplayer".

How in god's name he ended up in a guild actually WAS the 1st thing that popped into my mind upon hearing "Guild Mates"

Hahahah this one was clearly the funniest one in a while. Had me fucking crakced up. Agree on most of the things he said, some i can argue with. Still love to hear some critical toughts that acually makes sense.

You can't go to youtube for reviews anymore. Yazhee is the only person with true honest opinions acccording to me. Keep it up!

beniki:
Never did know what was going on in WoW. I was vaguely aware that we (the Horde) were fighting them (the Alliance), but I never really found out why. There's probably a good reason the Night Elves want to kill the nature loving Taurens, but no one ever bothered to explain it to me.

Honestly, it's never explained all that well why everything broke up at the end of WC3. But generally speaking, almost all the disputes involve the Night Elves, Humans, Orcs and Forsaken (undead). Everyone else is drawn into it because they're allies of these people. Kinda WWI-ish.

FlamingForce:
How in god's name he ended up in a guild actually WAS the 1st thing that popped into my mind upon hearing "Guild Mates"

How he ended up with all three expansions and a subscription long enough to get to 60 after he blatantly said he wouldn't pay money for it is a bigger question.

I played WoW before, and I thought it was boring; It doesn't sound like that much has changed.

Think il stick to eveonline thanks soo much better and free expansions. *awaits the wowtards fanboy comments

The irony? I called Blizzard yesterday and they gave me 5 days to see if the game got any less boring (I have 0 expansions because up to this point I really didn't care) So at 5:00 My timer starts once more

I've been hooked on these games since WarCraft 2: Tides of Darkness. I love the lore behind the games even if it is getting a little convoluted. I've had a lot of fun playing all of Blizzard's games. That being said, I don't think I'll be buying Cataclysm, at least right away. I'm not great at doing anything in moderation, and I don't want to be glued to a computer chair for 3-4 hours a night.

What I'm puzzled by is how he managed to do get around to making this review, wasn't Brisbane evacuated? I swear I heard him mention he lived near there. My sympathies to everyone affected.

That aside, brilliant review as always even if I didn't get half the references since I've never been within a mile of WoW since I left university. My briefest encounters with it was occasionally glancing over my housemate's shoulder out of curiosity. That was ages ago, though. To give you a rough scale; it was around the time of Halo 2's release.

SomethingAmazing:

FlamingForce:

How he ended up with all three expansions and a subscription long enough to get to 60 after he blatantly said he wouldn't pay money for it is a bigger question.

He probably didn't pay for it, The Escapist did.

ForgottenPr0digy:
"NUMBERS!!!!!!!!"

(no love for the Worgen why is that??)

If they were just a novelty, how the hell did I get one to 58 without getting bored?

Answer: It's not a novelty. Wolf-men are fucking awesome. Next question!

SomethingAmazing:

FlamingForce:

If you play it right you can get a level 60 character in a week, the subscription cost wouldn't be an issue. Seeing as he's already had experience and had the time to play it, that wouldn't surprise me. Plus he said he'd only play it over the christmas period, which is just a week or two.

SomethingAmazing:

You only need the vanilla game and the free month that it gives you in order to see everything he did (except the flying mount) and even then it was likely it was the Escapist's money.

Numbers!
glad to see Yahtzee has a similar view of MMOs as I do though I never played wow i have played others and find the whole raiding system a giant black hole of a time sink

Amazin' video, once again :D

Funniest line is the baby part xD *HELP* :P

Zero Punmctuation doing a MMORPG?

Who are you and what did you do to the real Yahtzee!

Fangobra:
Still not going to play it, Yahtzee, since you didn't address my gripe with Wow: I'm against it on moral principle.

Wow (and all pay-to-play disc based rpgs) are elaborate cons. Charging people for the use of their own property is STEALING. Buying the software or the monthly fee, Blizzard, you have to choose one before you sucker me in.

(And if you have any business smarts at all, you'll pick the monthly fee.)

And what about paying for a service like cable TV or internet? You're paying to access the WOW servers and interface with Blizzard 's scripts and triggers. There's a reason private servers suck; they don't have any of the npc abilities.

darkstone:
He is right though, congratulating people in that game is a conditioned response, I got the same amount of praise for getting a haircut in that game as I did for hitting level 80....

You all know there are add-ons that literally automatically congratulate someone for you for getting an achievement right?

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/gungrats.aspx

I play WoW, but I have never raided, barely PvP, and none of my friends do. I'm an RPer, and find that my server's community to be one of the best experiences in my life. (Steamwheedle Cartel EU. His thoughts of it just being numbers v numbers is something I've thought about once or twice, it's hard not to when you play WoW often.

Also, when he described the area (thousand needles) to be filled water, to have a reference to the horrible flooding over there. Does that make me a bad person? IMO, no. Watch Zero Punctuation made me a bad person long ago, thinking that is just bad taste.

And yes, I did create an account to say this, but it's less to do with a love of Warcraft but rather a fear of the Hamlet essay which is creeping around on my shoulder, whispering sweet nothings and wanting to condemn me to a life of.... Normality.

I was going to say that I raid because I actually enjoy it as a challenge, but that would likely;

A) get me called out as a liar (I'm not (in this case))
B) get me insulted because raids have become "lol ez-mode" (at least they were in Lich King)

Also jealous that Yahtzee got the killed by Deathwing Achievement. Yes it's actually something you want to get.

Also I love how people say that they refuse to play WoW because it consumes so much time when these same people have probably spent a net total of at least two years of their life playing other video games. I go on WoW binges, but when I'm on a WoW binge I'm not really playing other games.

Glad I'm not the only one who's irritated by all the female Horde races being humans with different skin colours.

I tried the WoW trial version for some time. I did a bit of sightseeing a bit everywhere with a bunch of races (the landscape and scenario variety was the aspect os WoW I was most curious about). Saw a little bit of the Barrens, Mulgore, that Alliance city whose name I don't recall (Stormwind maybe?), Darnassus and my curiosity was quenched.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here