Anthony Saves The World: Episode 1.1: Victory Points

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I wonder if Anthony's dad is gunna show up =P

I was kinda sad to hear that Anthony got a job at Gearbox because it meant no more videos and articles, glad to see I was wrong about at least one of those.

As for the video, well, the beginning left a bit to be desired. Going right into an action scene right off the bat without even really introducing the characters made it kinda weak. Part of why the action scenes in HAWP worked was because we already knew the characters. It improved near the ending though once some actual characterization began. I'll be sure to continue watching this.

This could be decent, but as it stands right now, it won't be. Where do I start?

- Colour grading and noise levels: You need to make sure the colour grading and noise levelling is uniform. BRIGHT! DULL! BRIGHT! LOUD! SOFT! FUZZ FROM TOO MUCH LOUD!

- Stop putting so many filters over everything. You don't need to throw in fuzz or old film filters to make it cool. Just like black and white/sepia doesn't always make photos cool.

- lol, keeps the boom mic out of shot.

- All actors, please, learn to act. Acting isn't about just doing what you'd normally do to a camera, or magnifying your emotions. The bearded dude shouldn't have just screamed loudly into the camera for his reaction. A normal person might, but you can't just act like a normal person on film. You need to act your emotional scenes in a better way. Also, practice your lines more so they're delivered more cleanly. The 'reaction scene' was too wild and OMGWHAT'SHAPPENINGWHATISTHISAREYOUCRAZYIDON'TBELIEVEYOUARRRRGLBLGKJSKJFJMNSKJ!!

- Put a filter over the mic, to filter the hard T and P sounds. When you talk, make sure you don't have saliva in your mouth or it screws up enunciation. Also, enunciate your lines properly.

- Fight scenes. They were pretty terrible, but not as terrible as the ones in There Will Be Brawl, at least. Practice more, and get the timing perfect. Don't over-extend yourselves to moves you can't pull off convincingly. If you can't fight convincingly, film and cut the scenes convincingly.

Do that, and you might have a decent series.

i like it, cant wait for the next one

Edited to not feed troll. Russ told me so.

can i feed troll?

mikeyface:

No, I don't have a web-show, but I wasn't aware that that was the be-all and end-all of being allowed to offer feedback.

Also, I'm not trying to come across as a troll, but frankly it's odd that you'd immediately jump to that conclusion. Sounds to me like you're a bit upset someone has some feedback on your show other than "OMG WOW THIS IS SO KEWL!!"?

Seriously, while I don't have some award-winning show I do know what works and what doesn't work, and my feedback was based solely upon what I saw that didn't work. I wasn't sitting there calling you names, telling people that the show sucked and should die in a fire, or being a fuckhead - no, I was offering you some legitimate feedback.

over acting...camera shake...overacting...plot hole...camera shake...won't watch.

Nerdfury:

mikeyface:

No, I don't have a web-show, but I wasn't aware that that was the be-all and end-all of being allowed to offer feedback.

Also, I'm not trying to come across as a troll, but frankly it's odd that you'd immediately jump to that conclusion. Sounds to me like you're a bit upset someone has some feedback on your show other than "OMG WOW THIS IS SO KEWL!!"?

Seriously, while I don't have some award-winning show I do know what works and what doesn't work, and my feedback was based solely upon what I saw that didn't work. I wasn't sitting there calling you names, telling people that the show sucked and should die in a fire, or being a fuckhead - no, I was offering you some legitimate feedback.

You hit it on the head in your first post. All that annoyed me was the camera motion, but you took it to the next level. Good catches, they should heed your studied words.

engineermk2004:

Nerdfury:

mikeyface:

You hit it on the head in your first post. All that annoyed me was the camera motion, but you took it to the next level. Good catches, they should heed your studied words.

Cheers, man. I was hoping this wasn't one of those bizarro-world situations where I'm the only one that actually gets it. In his original comment, 'mikeyface' initially asked me if I had my own webshow, suggesting (sarcastically) that I'd be 'awesome at it,' as if to insinuate that I have no right to offer feedback or comment (unless it's praise, perhaps?) unless I run an award-winning series on the internet. The comment has since been edited, as you can see.

I don't know what's worse: the fact that his first conclusion was that I was a troll, the fact that the Editor in Chief thought I was trying to be a troll, or the fact that he thinks I'm not allowed to offer feedback unless I'm his talented equal in his field. It's all pretty ridiculous - I mean, it's not like I was a jerk about it.

Oh well. That's the internet for you.

I get ya, Nerdfury.

You're not wrong, and I respect your opinion. Russ did not think you're a troll, he simply told me not to be a dick. And I was being a dick.

Having said that, there is a line between feedback and trying to direct a production. We're just two guys making a show. We can not be perfect, and if anyone is expecting that, we're sorta screwed. I feel your comments were at a level of condescension that pushed them beyond simply trying to help us out and into the territory of "I know more than you, nyah nyah."

To give you constructive feedback, as you have given us: Tone is important. If you want us to heed your feedback, be careful of how you phrase... especially in reference to the section about acting. It was hyper-condescension-- as if you have done this forever and we were beneath you.

We're just a couple of guys trying to make you laugh, buddy.

:-)

Alright, let's all shake and call it "good game." Rub some dirt on it. Get back in there, etc. etc. etc.

Nerdfury, I know you've been around here long enough to know the difference between constructive criticism and trolling. Seriously. Come on, now. You raised some good issues, but the man has a point about tone.

For example, this tone I'm exhibiting here is the "Stern Lecturer Tone," which I am comfortable assuming - sarcastically - in circumstances like this one, when we are all acknowledging we are friends and equals. Except for me, of course, because I'm EIC. I'm like Equal+. Like in an airplane, where you're still not in First Class, but you get free booze. That's me. Two extra inches of legroom and free booze. So I get to use the Stern Lecturer Tone.

Mikeyface: get over yourself. Just 'cause you got a web show don't mean you're like, Lisa Foiles or anything. You still put on your fancy, designer-label, game developer jeans one jewel-encrusted, artificial cyborg leg at a time, just like the rest of us.

I KNEW LISA FOILES HAD A JEWEL ENCRUSTED CYBER LEG

mikeyface:
I KNEW LISA FOILES HAD A JEWEL ENCRUSTED CYBER LEG

Just wait until they approach you with the catalogue. I hear you get to select from Ruby, Emerald, Diamond or Benitoite.

Enjoying the series, how many episodes does this epic tale span?

Redlin5:

Enjoying the series, how many episodes does this epic tale span?

We are doing 10 for the first season. Shooting episode 6 tomorrow. Gonna be a big one.

Awesome video but at 2:25 I can see a mic lol

Like the dialog; action could use some work.

Like the dialog; action could use some work.

Oh my god! Settlers of Catan... This instance product placement makes me want to watch this show.

The last line was hillarious: "Well my point is *shoots new burglar* I had 7 victory points!"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here