Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Pages PREV 1 . . . 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . . . 30 NEXT

Color me unimpressed... he doesn't say anything new, and the delivery is nothing special. May watch it from time to time if the topic interests me but in general AVOID.

Good job using the 'lesbian' pic to draw interest.

the whole movie i imagined jim actually being a dwarf. i used my soundcard options to pitchshift the sound a bit and voila! hilarity ensued.

That was the most annoying and irritating thing I have ever watched. I would suggest that this series be removed from the Escapist, but that probably won't happen. Rest assured, I will not watch any more episodes of this.

This video was peereeeeeety bad. The commentator has no wit or sense of humor, and talks at length over a topic that much more insightful, witty, and intelligent people have discussed. The amount of times that the commentator repeated himself and seemed to just wander around indicates to me that he wasn't scripted and did not plan his rant very well. I'd call this a pinch above youtube quality.

About all I learned or gained from this video is that 'video games aren't movies'. The commentator offers nothing new. There isn't anything wrong with not offering anything new, but if you go that route, then you have to offer nothing new in a way that is indicative of exceptional quality, which the reviewer also failed at. In short, it's nothing that is going to be added to my weekly viewing schedule.

Brainst0rm:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to win people over here.

That was dreadful to watch. Please tell Jim Sterling not to come back. He makes the whole site look bad.

See my above quote, from the advert alone I thought it was going to be Jim Cornette

I don't get it... is being a dbag his selling point? He certainly isn't funny or even edgy. I mean maybe when i'm drunk enough his pauses for breath would be hilarious but him using cock pics and saying fuck a lot doesn't make an insightful game... analyst or funny game satirist? I don't write anyone off first show but this seems boring and done a million times in one form or another.

He's a bit of a douche.
A semi-interesting douche, but still a douche.

I still think people should get over the "Games are art" mind-set because it makes a lot of gamers come across as whiny little shits.

Overall. Doubt I'll watch much.

Decent video, good topic. Bonus points for Final Fantasy IX music.

Um...yeah. I don't think I'll be watching more of this. If I want witty snark, I'll re-watch episodes of Zero Punctuation for the 5th time, at least those never get old unlike this which already was halfway through.

I don't want to start anything here, but I only got 1/3 of the way through because Jim, and this is PURELY personal, got on my nerves. I have no idea what his point was and I can't even remember what he said, except that the way he said it annoyed me. I'm just stating my opinion.

bdcjacko:
What the hell? I don't need a rambling rant about video games not being movies. I already knew that.

But do devs know it? If they did Homefront probably wouldn't have happened, after all they had Hollywood consultants, CIA operatives, and novelists, all of which who have no idea how to write for a game, and they never thought "wait, do any of these guys know to write a video game?".

Focusing on pathos and swearing to emphasize an argument does not make you insightful. Of course I prefer the proponents of a particular view to be passionate and involved with the subject at hand but in this case it just twists and contorts and reduces the show to utter mediocrity.

He never actually puts forward a valid argument. No differentiating two mediums by their origins by the way must be the most redundant argument I have ever heard as there is no further step beyond that statement. Gaming is defined by interactivity not that Nintendo did something in the 80s. The reason people compare VGs and films is because of them both being visually dynamic mediums and often work with the same methods of putting forward a story.
Let's be honest, a cut-scene is a short film and if the scene or level is only vaguely interactive as is the case with parts in the CoD games it's valid to ask whether this is significantly different from a movie.

You can't both claim that games shoudn't be compared to films and then say they are better.

Dr. McD:

bdcjacko:
What the hell? I don't need a rambling rant about video games not being movies. I already knew that.

But do devs know it? If they did Homefront probably wouldn't have happened, after all they had Hollywood consultants, CIA operatives, and novelists, all of which who have no idea how to write for a game, and they never thought "wait, do any of these guys know to write a video game?".

Well go fucking tell them. Everyone on this site already knows video game aren't movies.

All I got from his constant swearing was that he was unsure about exactly what he was going to say next. It's a fairly common trait amongst the British that when we get "het up" we swear a lot.

um... this guy is like... Bob's big picture gone Zeropunctuation(with punctuation), done "personal"; instead behind graphics, he's behind shades...

Comments:
Amen bratha!~ actually, why not just go all the way and say Game>Film! Delivering sound narratives is ONLY the beginning! the audience(s) of games actually "INTERACT" with the medium! There is no Hour limit for the story to take place! movies couldn't hold their audiences for more than 3.5 hours!

The film critics who denounces games as an art medium are simply clinching on to their last (dying) breath! They know their medium is reached it's peak, golden era, climax. there is not much you can do to top what's already there, their medium is dying out, being replaced, they want to boast superiority for the remaining time they had. they want to go down praising their dead god, because they've simply spent their entire lifetime devoting to this trend, and when the new one came, they just can't adjust, thus they discriminate now, while ours is at a growing phase.

Yes, games are not movies; games have BETTER POTENTIAL then movies. Studies showed that people who watching TV/Movies, their minds go inactive, while people who plays games, their minds ARE VERY much active! it's a different medium, different history, different style of creations, but one thing for sure:

Any/Every thing that a movie can deliver, a game have the ability to do so better!

Mock my words, this IS the truth!

bdcjacko:

Dr. McD:

bdcjacko:

Well go fucking tell them. Everyone on this site already knows video game aren't movies.

I wish that was true, once in while I hear somebody complaining about things like how "removing regenerating health would ruin the cinematic effect", even this site has it's "games aren't art, movies are better" crowd (albeit in much smaller number).

Dr. McD:

bdcjacko:

Dr. McD:

I wish that was true, once in while I hear somebody complaining about things like how "removing regenerating health would ruin the cinematic effect", even this site has it's "games aren't art, movies are better" crowd (albeit in much smaller number).

Cinematic effect doesn't mean they think games are movies. It just means cinematic effect. Still this is a gaming site where most everyone here is a game player not a game maker. Sure there are a few game makers here and there. So my point remains, I don't need the Stay Puft Marshmallowman ranting and cussing at me about games are not art. I don't care how reflective his sunglasses are.

So he pretty much reiterated every point that Yahtzee already made

I'm sorry, but this is the worst show I've seen at the Escapist so far. It really doesn't add anything new to the site that Yahtzee and Moviebob don't already do a million times better.

Btw, narrative of games at the same level as movies? Sorry, I love games, but you have to admit that at the moment the level of quality of narratives of the average game still isn't that great. Sure, there are games which do this brilliantly, but on average, they're not yet on the level.

I like this guy. An in your face kinda guy to add to The Escapist stable. I look forward to seeing more of these. He definately made some good points in this video.

Also I like the fact that Zorn and Thorns theme from Final Fantasy IX was playing in the background.

Wow... This guy actually makes quite a bit of sense!

Also, I LOVE how he used music from Kirby Air Ride/Hoshi no Kirby (the Kirby anime).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQiC2b1YmJI

Content wise fairly standard and nothing we haven't really seen before.

Delivery wise that was one of the most annoying and deliberately inflammatory things I've ever seen. I don't want to feel like I'm being shouted down when I watch something for entertainment. Will probably not be watching any more of these based on this very, very poor first impression.

bdcjacko:

Dr. McD:

bdcjacko:

Cinematic effect doesn't mean they think games are movies. It just means cinematic effect. Still this is a gaming site where most everyone here is a game player not a game maker. Sure there are a few game makers here and there. So my point remains, I don't need the Stay Puft Marshmallowman ranting and cussing at me about games are not art. I don't care how reflective his sunglasses are.

Ohhh, I better call the Waaaaahhhhhbmulance!

mythil:
See my above quote, from the advert alone I thought it was going to be Jim Cornette

Be thankful he didn't have a tennis racket. And, who knows....maybe it's his son?

On second thought, don't think too much into that.

You don't know what you got until it's gone. I want Lisa back. :-/

The Big Picture does it better. You're boring. Sorry.

aww, I was expecting Jim Cornette

Couldn't make it past the first two minutes. I wouldn't even listen to you in the pub. On a different site I'd ignore you as another example of god-awful YouTube commentators that think they're hilarious. One for the ignore bin.

Welcome to The Escapist, Jim. :)

If we throw him a cheesecake do you think he will fuck off?

Well that was unimpressive. Do we need yet another contributor who's job is to deliver scathing commentary through fast speech and swearing? I would argue not. I get that he's a (presumably) big name in terms of the internet in relation to gaming, but that doesn't mean he's a particularly good orator.

With regards to the video itself: The point was made; unfortunately, I wouldn't say it was made very clearly or delivered well. The medium of rant is not the best way to make a point and I think this video proved it. There were some good arguments amongst the mindless ranting though, especially regarding the treatment of games as inferior to Hollywood productions and the argument concerning the fine line between art and pretention (a point for another video, perhaps?) but overall the mistakes, the halting speech and the fact that its pretty much the same trick as a number of other Escapist videos brings this down.

Still, I'll keep an eye out for the next video, and see if any of the problems with this first video are addressed. Try again next week.

Woot! Jim Sterling is awesome (huge destructoid.com fan I am), so glad the Escapist picked up this series of his. Couldn't agree more about the whole games vs film nonsense, its irritated me every time the topic is brought up. So many people just don't get that you can't directly compare the two and trying to do so is flat out insulting to the gaming medium.

Awww, boy, I really, really hope this isn't substitution for Lisa. I don't know your preferances but I prefer nice girls to fat guys.

He sounds little bit like Yahtzee, but he is not even close, and he haven't got cartoons, when I think of it he remainds me of Movie Bobs other thing, column. He's got cartoons to, but I don't like him either.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . . . 30 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here