Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 22 NEXT

BRILLIANT!

wizzy555:
It does solve something, it solves the inequality. When presented with any inequality there is usually more than one way to solve it.

I don't want to derail the thread, but what's with all the my little pony avatars?

I enjoy the show is all, so I am expressing that I am a fan of Rainbow Dash- but if you'd like to know more about that, just PM me please. I would like to get on topic since we're on a pretty important issue:

That's the problem actually. It's so simple the way he 'solved' inequality. That won't solve anything because if people decided to go with his idea, what would that really solve? Then our games would revolve around men and women both looking sexual which would strip the game's meaning. Not to mention that the way he presented his idea was just ..awful.

Besides that, the issue is still at large today. If it was that simple, it would of been solved 20-30 years ago (As Okysho stated above 2 posts). Just to clarify that even if he did make a good point (which I know and agree with most he didn't) that he wasn't even funny about it. Just sickens me really.. inequality is far more complex then what it seems and making the guys as attractive will only add onto the problem believe it or not.

brownstudies:
Had a good chuckle at this one. I was hopeful after episode 1, and indeed it seems like somebody read the comments and took on some of the criticism; this episode is much slicker all round. Looking forward to the next one! :)

Not crazy about the MS paint drawings, though. I guess I can appreciate that the video needs something to break it up a little.

unabomberman:
Has Jim ever seriously talked to a woman about this topic before? I mean, where does he get it that the issue would be solved if they exploited everyone "equally"? Or maybe I'm just ignorant and am not aware of the growing trend of women demanding men without their clothes on in their videogames, to get their rocks off. Women, on average, have a different sets of base preferences than those of males.

I'm a woman. When I Play Left 4 Dead 2, I purposefully choose a character other than Ellis so that I can stare at his arse while he runs ahead of me. Have you ever seriously talked to a woman about this topic before?

Plenty, actually.

But, hey, you happen to be the exception who wants to see more flesh in her male characters 'cause that should be what equates matters, apparently. Good for you.

You know, he's 100% right about Devil May Cry. Same thing with Prince of Persia by the way. And actually Kratos.

I gave this guy a second chance. This isnt as bas as the fist one, but it still pretty terrible. He doesnt make any points or add any insight to the situation. He just bitches and offers an incredibly half-assed solution. This show is one dimensional, unoriginal, lackluster, and has no reason to exist.

I think this was an improvement over last episode. Still dumb penis drawings, but he used more in-game video and had a better backdrop. I'll watch a 3rd episode to see if he continues to improve.

Also, since sex does sell and it wont be going away ANY time soon. Why not throw in some more Kratos type outfits here and there. At least it would be fair and amusing to me.

XxRyanxX:

wizzy555:
It does solve something, it solves the inequality. When presented with any inequality there is usually more than one way to solve it.

I don't want to derail the thread, but what's with all the my little pony avatars?

I enjoy the show is all, so I am expressing that I am a fan of Rainbow Dash- but if you'd like to know more about that, just PM me please. I would like to get on topic since we're on a pretty important issue:

That's the problem actually. It's so simple the way he 'solved' inequality. That won't solve anything because if people decided to go with his idea, what would that really solve? Then our games would revolve around men and women both looking sexual which would strip the game's meaning. Not to mention that the way he presented his idea was just ..awful.

Besides that, the issue is still at large today. If it was that simple, it would of been solved 20-30 years ago (As Okysho stated above 2 posts). Just to clarify that even if he did make a good point (which I know and agree with most he didn't) that he wasn't even funny about it. Just sickens me really.. inequality is far more complex then what it seems and making the guys as attractive will only add onto the problem believe it or not.

I wasn't singling your avatar out, I've seen a lot of them in this thread and wondered if a meme was going on.

Why does sexualisation strip something of it's meaning? Even Shakespere's Macbeth had penis jokes in.

Oh man, that was great! I had to pause at the Marcus Fenix in a thong part. "WHO WANTS TOAST?!" Ah man did I laugh.

Anyway, treating men in games the same way as women get treated in them instead of treating women. That's certainly an interesting idea. Hopefully some creative developer out there will try that just to see how it turns out.

Also, I just want to say that I liked this episode a lot better than the previous one. This leaves something to discuss, which is nice. I like that better than the previous episode which basically left "Well no shit games aren't movies, I wish more developers would realize that too" as the only thing to say.

unabomberman:

brownstudies:
Had a good chuckle at this one. I was hopeful after episode 1, and indeed it seems like somebody read the comments and took on some of the criticism; this episode is much slicker all round. Looking forward to the next one! :)

Not crazy about the MS paint drawings, though. I guess I can appreciate that the video needs something to break it up a little.

unabomberman:
Has Jim ever seriously talked to a woman about this topic before? I mean, where does he get it that the issue would be solved if they exploited everyone "equally"? Or maybe I'm just ignorant and am not aware of the growing trend of women demanding men without their clothes on in their videogames, to get their rocks off. Women, on average, have a different sets of base preferences than those of males.

I'm a woman. When I Play Left 4 Dead 2, I purposefully choose a character other than Ellis so that I can stare at his arse while he runs ahead of me. Have you ever seriously talked to a woman about this topic before?

Plenty, actually.

But, hey, you happen to be the exception who wants to see more flesh in her male characters 'cause that should be what equates matters, apparently. Good for you.

Yeah, I'm a woman and I wouldn't mind to see more half-naked men. Also, to brownstudies, I usually choose Coach or Rochelle...because Nick is just as good.

I turned it off at the duke's balls part. Don't need that. Won't watch again.

Frozengale:
I gotta be honest. I was hoping that when this guy didn't post a video in the past 3 weeks I thought the Escapist might have scrapped him. I'm basically going to reiterate my points that I did on his last video because they still apply here.

It was one week man. First video was April 18th, he skipped next week (April 25th) to take some of the feedback into consideration and get a background and a little podium, and then made a new video for today (May 2nd).

Very, very, very, very bad. First, tackles one of the deadest horses in gaming issues and doesn't really offer anything new. Second, has this constant smug "Oh, did that shocking thing I just said offend you? Yeah, well sorry but I'm shocking so deal with that." weasely thing going on.

the reason why hardcore criticism and shocking imagery works for Yahtzee is that there's this definite sense in ZP vids that he is not interested in your opinion. ZP wheels past shocks and opinions with a kind of contempt for everything from a man who seems to be talking out loud to himself.

In this, it's that kind of thing where he smugly stops and lingers on each point like he's desperately concerned for making sure that he really did pop your monocle out you because even though he's trying to offend you he really cares about your opinion.

The worst thing about this, though, is that it's really nothing but a worse version of shows the Escapist already has. ZP does shocking funny offcolor British guy better, MovieBob does ranting guy better, Extra Punctuation does gaming insights better. I don't see what it brings to the table.

I feel a little sick because I saw the picture of duke nukem.

mjc0961:

Frozengale:
I gotta be honest. I was hoping that when this guy didn't post a video in the past 3 weeks I thought the Escapist might have scrapped him. I'm basically going to reiterate my points that I did on his last video because they still apply here.

It was one week man. First video was April 18th, he skipped next week (April 25th) to take some of the feedback into consideration and get a background and a little podium, and then made a new video for today (May 2nd).

Huh... seems longer. Maybe I was just being hopeful.

wizzy555:
I wasn't singling your avatar out, I've seen a lot of them in this thread and wondered if a meme was going on.

Why does sexualisation strip something of it's meaning? Even Shakespere's Macbeth had penis jokes in.

Oh I wasn't getting on you, but I didn't want to get off topic was all. People who have the MLP Avatars are just really devoted fans like myself spite that I am into other things like mainly video games and anime.

What I am getting at is that sexual themes within a game is fine, but only adding more to it by having the guy exposed as much as the women would only make the game more focused on their attraction then the story line or anything. Also, it's fine to joke but to show pictures of it just is plain sick.

I don't even want anything showing women off for I find that disrespectful. I have respect for women thus even the games which 'show them off' sort of offends me, so wouldn't help if the ideal was to make the guys show off much skin too. It wouldn't send the right message to most gamers. I hope I made myself clear for you to understand where i'm getting at.

I thought games was starting to objectify men more... I was surprised by Heavy Rain and Fragile Dreams...

0 for 2

he has nothing to say, he just says things angry and sarcastic and believes he's some intelligent pundit.

This one wasn't bad-though not great-and I think there's certainly a problem of clarity when it comes to the message; Is Jim fucking around, pointing out how absurd it all is by suggesting absurdities? It's certainly a possibility. Or is he just ranting because this has gotten under his skin? The whole thing holds together on such a thin wire that this also could be the case.

I did find some of it funny-and the guy montage was amusing-so it's possible that improvements will come to the point of making the Jimquisition worthwhile.

At the moment though; not quite amusing enough, not thought provoking enough, so it still needs work.

Why all the hate for Jim? He is a nice guy, only that his drawing may be a little "extreme".
Anyway , I gree with you. Less clothes for everyone!

Ok you made me laugh at 'Half-Naked Dudes!' part.
but thats about it. after that it was just the same unpleasentness and boringness of well...whatever.

pokepuke:
Well, I liked the Kirby music.

and, uh.... yeah.

I thought there was some Final Fantasy IX music in at some point...maybe i was just mistaking it.
Gosh, accidentally spelt 'Final Fantasy IC' then...which is a very scary thought *shudder*

Loki the Fool:
I thought games was starting to objectify men more... I was surprised by Heavy Rain and Fragile Dreams...

I'd agree that there are certainly half-naked and or attractive guys in games. Most main characters are generically handsome, and a topless guy is not even an issue.

But if a girl was topless or a guy was wearing a skirt in a modern day themed game, that would be pretty original.

A cross dressing FPS! Why not?!!

Ahaha, I think this guy is great! I can see why he'd get so much hate though but that might actually be the point I think, you know, stirring up publicity. I think you guys should reserve any REAL judgement until he posts more stuff too ;)

And DAMMIT he's right, us women need fanservice in games too! This is why I play Japanese games waaaay more than western ones, they got the message ages ago. (For a great example on getting fanservice for both genders right - BlazBlue!)

This guy really gets on my nerves, I've watched both episodes and I don't know if I'm missing the point but his points just seem ridiculous, and I can't see the funny side.

where is the not sure if serieus pic ?

I actually think his proposal makes quite a bit of sense ... I also can't for the life of me decide wether its joke or not.

Chucker:

Loki the Fool:

I'd agree that there are certainly half-naked and or attractive guys in games. Most main characters are generically handsome, and a topless guy is not even an issue.

But if a girl was topless or a guy was wearing a skirt in a modern day themed game, that would be pretty original.

Cause then we get Fable <_< Sigh... nuff said :(

I think he has a lot of good points, but the delivery needs serious work. The yelling and fist pounding can go, for starters.

Loki the Fool:

Chucker:

Loki the Fool:

Cause then we get Fable <_< Sigh... nuff said :(

Or Dead Rising 2

EmpressZombiKitty:

unabomberman:

brownstudies:

Plenty, actually.

Yeah, I'm a woman and I wouldn't mind to see more half-naked men. Also, to brownstudies, I usually choose Coach or Rochelle...because Nick is just as good.

You do realize that you have plenty of male blockheads to ogle, right? It's not like we dudes are underobjectified [sic], if that's how you want to define objectification that is. We just don't care as much--I certainly don't, really, but am merely pointing out the other side of the argument.

Also, there aren't that many studios, if there's even a single one, that cater to specific female tastes as there are for the male ones. If there were, along with more demographically geared great games we'd also have the equivalent of harlequin books, filled with swashbuckling assholes with chiseled chests who deep down are sensitive souls than can only be fully understood by either a horse tamer, a marine biologist, the reluctant heir of a corporate empire, etc. and, good lord, that's how equality would truly look like.

MatsVS:
A different, perhaps more radical, solution:

How 'bout we objectify no one, and only place men or women in revealing clothing when it is tangential to exploring their character and/or fits their cultural/geographical background. You know, as in good storytelling that is inclusive and realistic at the same time.

Yes but that's the logical solution, this guy clearly just wants to rant on the same point, again and again, for a few minutes, making some little controversial claim in order to make it seem like he's geniunely thought about it.

Which means: we solve sexism by not just reducing women to sexual objects, but men too...perfe- oh wait! Where did all of our characters go?

Not too bad, I chuckled a couple of times during the episode. One thing I would humbly suggest is to let this guy do the voice, but let us not see him in the video. Show some still/moving images with some text on the screen instead. It doesn't have to copy ZP, but what MovieBob does, really does work for me, because some of the more important points get emphasized better. So something along those lines would improve the experience from the video for me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here