304: The Reset Button

Pages PREV 1 2

Ben you make some good points. In fact you remind me of my hard drive failure that caused me to start all over in COD4 and how much I actualy enjoyed it...!! If you're at the top and winning a lot--for me--it gets kinda boring. I like competition and in fact I like being the underdog. And of course the "elite" system in the COD series is pretty much similar to starting over again--reset. I foget how many levels of elite in Black Ops? 15 levels or so? I think I'm only like on the third or fourth level of BO elite--I'm just a beginner haha. When I first started playing shooters-like COD1-I didn't play multi. I got a similar experience from the single player game by moving up in the difficulty level--usually there were four levels from Easy to Advanced etc. And after that I would try to "beat" the Advanced level by running quick enough the "wrong way" and seeing how often I could beat the AI. By that I mean at certain levels one learns the game forces you to go around a house in a certain direction or? similar. Well I would try hard to succeed and not do what they wanted. It was just my creative way to "reset" the game. I think you're pretty much right on. Nice article.

A very nice read. Congrats on the article, Mr Carlander.

I find with Call Of Duty, there is this futile hope the each upcoming game will fix the issues and imbalances of the last one, that the formula will be perfected.

After Black ops I've kind of given up on that and begun to see COD as the fun but not-to be taken too seriously game it really is (although try telling me that when I'm raging at it and punching my wall)

I don't play the rock band games for the careers, which are often just a progression from easy to hard songs. The part about setlists is true, but having so much DLC works great for that franchise.

The 'journey' you go on in RB is mastery, mastering the instruments, and having bought the drums and keyboards I'm still having fun trying to accomplish tricky parts.

That and the fact that you can bring your roster ahead a game with you kinda negates the 'reset button' for that particular game. I guess having new instruments and new challenges in the game is kind of a reset, but it also makes it a noticably different game.

Other than that, a well written article, certainly made me think about my progression from Halo to Halo 2 and then 3...though the leaps made between those were very noticable.

Halo isn't a levelling game, though. This article really annoyed me until I realized all my shooters are non-levelling. Halo. TF2. Monday Night Combat. They're all games about playing, not levelling. Also, I love my Rock Bands. Each one is an improvement but really, each one is a way to get new songs. I stooped buying Guitar Hero games because they were all the same.

Cherry Cola:

BehattedWanderer:
Wow, that article was like reading an episode of Extra Credits.

My voice isn't that high pitched you know. My feelings are hurt now.

Neither is his, it's all technology. But I meant content-wise, not with the postmodernist drawings (which I like) or the technosquawk of how he speaks.

But, I still have to make up for hurting your feelings. Ummm...hmm...I...apologize?

Cherry Cola:

Sabinfrost:
Very good article, I agree, some very valid points. As someone that plays CoD MLG and has played other competitive games before the gameplay is solid with more depth then most people experience outside of competition, like street fighter. So, the games are essentially the same, they have subtle flavours, different chicken dishes, they feel different and not just because of some new skins/sounds/guns/maps, tactics and what is competitive alter the feel of the experience. The MW2 competitive scene is different to the World at War one. The games are being refined like a sport and sure they could get patched to buggery but the devs need to fund developing the game. A single CoD title could work if it was released on a subscription like WoW, which has changed massively over it's six year life while keeping much of the same outward appearance.

So what you are saying is that, instead of viewing them as sequels, it's a better way to view them like, I don't know, three people with three different Yu-Gi-Oh starter decks? (Sorry, my analogy is shit but I can't come up with something better). They're at heart the same, but details still make them different games with different focus.

If that is what you mean, your comment makes a lot of sense, and I must say I agree with it. I've been watching a lot of Call of Duty commentaries recently (I don't really have the money for the games themselves), and many of them do talk about how some of the games have different perks or balances than the others.

That's basically it, yes. It's like new edition of a card game or an updated rulebook for a tabletop miniatures title.

Balance and strategy, the variations on how you move, how guns handle... all these things add subtle variation which alters how the metagame works.

Multiplayer competitive is about more then who can shoot straight and the quickest, team work is an integral part of being successful. I admit the single player gets old, it has been done a hundred times and no matter how many Hollywood script writers and actors you get on board it is still move from one set piece to another shooting from cover. I wouldn't buy the games for the single player.

A multiplayer only subscription based model with regular content upgrades (not paying for map packs) would be a viable alternative to the twelve month release schedule.

I can't stand leveling in any of those games. It drives me nuts. The fact I can't use certain weapons until I sink a set amount of time into the game is frustrating. I never had a problem playing the shit out of Crysis which used good 'ol fashioned weapon drops instead of leveling and picking loadouts and such.
Of course I also badly miss playing LAN games with friends instead of being forced to play on random servers with faceless enemies. The love is all gone! I am not a big fan of CoD games although I did unlock every weapon in Bad Company 2. It wasn't until I forced myself to do this that I finally started to enjoy the game since I didn't have to force myself to use classes that didn't suit the situation just because I needed experience with them. So I don't lose interest once I hit that cap.

BehattedWanderer:

Cherry Cola:

BehattedWanderer:
Wow, that article was like reading an episode of Extra Credits.

My voice isn't that high pitched you know. My feelings are hurt now.

Neither is his, it's all technology. But I meant content-wise, not with the postmodernist drawings (which I like) or the technosquawk of how he speaks.

But, I still have to make up for hurting your feelings. Ummm...hmm...I...apologize?

I'm just joking with you. All is cool

....did this article just advocate shovelware?

and no one else sees a problem with this? your all happy to keep buying it as long as you know why now?

...interesting.

Buying the same game over and over again, hmm? If I was the cynical sort I might say that you've described Games Workshop's market policy in a nutshell.

I love it when the reset button moment arrives, because all the sheep that follow that deranged logic move on to the next game, and the only people left playing the current one are people who just play for fun.

Remember that, developers? When multiplayer was about fun? Not killstreaks, rankings, or unlockables?

Sorry, ignore me. Just having a rant on my soapbox over here...

You ever think that maybe the storyline is part of the fun of playing the game?

I think I was attracted to gaming in the first place becuase it's a chance to get immersed in another world similar to reading.

Fun gameplay is an important factor but sequels I think are just as much about what happens next. Aswell as; we want to do more of that shooting, climbing or skating, because it was fun.

I don't think you can seperate the two out they are integral.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here