Jimquisition: Accountability

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Loved this episode.

Woodsey:

bdcjacko:
Is there a way I can pay money to make sure I don't win the kissing contest with him?

Pretty sure you have to suck someone off to get around that clause.

OT: Totally agree. Having to sign into arbitrary accounts for no reason just so companies can pretend they're maintaining control is fucking annoying.

Unless you can come up with something as good as Steamworks, fuck off.

That is the exact opposite of what I wanted. :'(

Huh. I somehow suspected it might happen this week, but I actually enjoyed Jim's show for the first time. His criticisms of the ways publishers are punishing legitimate purchasers of games were varied and seemed accurate, as well as his depiction of the farce that is brand loyalty. When corporations see you only as an annoying barrier between them and your money, that's when you get behavior like we're seeing from pretty much all the networks and companies he mentioned. Several extra points for the sex toy references to buggery. In particular that last fancy one was extra special.

Bonus points for having the balls to refer to a certain kerfuffle last week.

Let me say this, Jim, and I mean this: if you need to take two weeks between episodes to make good ones instead of doing a mediocre one every week, please please please do so. Then I'll be happy when your episodes come on instead of seriously considering whether or not it's worth it to invest a couple minutes a week on your show.

That's why my favorite publisher is THQ, they don't do any of that shit.

Ha, great video Jim, you're fast becoming one of my favourites on this site!

He makes a damn good point, when do we as consumers finally say enough is enough. I'm starting to get tired of paying for a game just to have someone bend me over and say just take it, we have to do a rectal scan to make sure your not ripping us off. What happen to the times when you bought something, not LEASED it. I'm sorry I thought the game was for sale not for rent. It's like buying a car but being told you can only drive it on certain streets at certain times. Oh and yes a we made our money the first time we sold the game, and dlc can't be sold used but you are not allowed to pay $20 for a $60 game that after a few months will only cost $20 new. They want a law about pirating, we as consumers should lobby for a law to stop them from ripping us off. I would love to see EA's accounting books to see how "bad" they really are doing.

Okay I liked this episode. I agreed with most of it, and I am starting to see what you bring to the site. It is nice to see another valid opinion that is completely(or at least not afraid to contest with) Extra Credits and Movie Bob.

Ohh and just a side note...please Jim, PLEASE fix your audio. It isn't hard to properly sound mix a basic video project like this. I'm not asking you use different mics, or learn how to use them properly. I'm just asking that you bring up the levels when it is quiet, and bring them down when they distort. If you have any questions on how to do that I am sure the LRR guys are happy to help (cause their shit is ALWAYS perfect).

WaaghPowa:
holy shit, I actually agree with him on this part.

First: if console games are about picking up and playing, why is there so many steps? Patching, installing, accounts, subscriptions etc. It's turning into PC gaming, and I expect at some point that the publishers will force entering serial codes at some point.

Second: DRM, yes, treating us like criminals is not the best way to go about business

On your first point, I would like to add that I spend less time waiting on PC updates than console updates for some reason. What's up with that?

Hey, dunno what you did to Jim but keep it up, this was a good episode :)

Now i just have to decide between Jimquisition+ and the Publishers Club. Hmmm

conflictofinterests:

WaaghPowa:
holy shit, I actually agree with him on this part.

First: if console games are about picking up and playing, why is there so many steps? Patching, installing, accounts, subscriptions etc. It's turning into PC gaming, and I expect at some point that the publishers will force entering serial codes at some point.

Second: DRM, yes, treating us like criminals is not the best way to go about business

On your first point, I would like to add that I spend less time waiting on PC updates than console updates for some reason. What's up with that?

No shit right? I got Modnation racers on my PS3, waiting for the updates I managed to watch 2 episodes of Top Gear.

Just two things to be honest here:

One, he does have a good point on the subject matter. I enjoyed this one for the way he presented it, and how bloody well true it is that we don't need 50 different accounts to play what is essentially 40 different games. Kinda sad how it's getting there eh?

Two, sure, I understand it's all an act and whatnot, and I'm only getting this off my chest, but I personally feel that the way this man portrays himself as a "character" i suppose you could say still makes me want to tie him to a stake and burn him. But that's just me. Selfish, vain people are one thing, Jim is another. I just pray he isn't this way IRL

Anyways, there's my one cents and my one getting it out of the system comment.

I might be interested in Jimquisition+ if we got to cop a feel too, otherwise its not worth the money.

I've not actually watched Jimquisition before, but this was pretty good. Also, am I the only one who noticed that he was using "Jesters of the Moon" from FFIX as background music? One of my favorite FF games and OST's and it's used in the first episode of this I decided to watch... I think I'll have to watch the other episodes now.

Is that studded balls keychain dildo part of the Jimquisition+ membership? And I totally agree on the saturation of services and whatnot, way too many passwords to remember.

holy shit, did i laugh? at one of your jokes? that was bloody unexpected.

good show old boy

Good job, Jim. Amusing, insightful, well-constructed. Looks like the teething period is pretty much over.

OMG my very own fridge magnet?!
and only for 40$ a month sing me up!

hell yeah loved this episode!.

Account consolidation (or simply not requiring one to sign up for additional accounts in the first place) would not only make for less complications when signing in to play games (saving the password ideas for those with jobs involving national security or secret recipes), it would give hackers fewer ways to acquire one's personal information.(Right now, it's a veritable schmorgasbord!)

That'll free people up to join the Jimquisition+ program! Those fridge magnets better be worth it!

viranimus:
Wow... Honestly, thank you Jim. You could not be any more right in this one specific instance.

/kudos

that he is, normally hes just a raging and overpaid professional asshole

"I'll be back whether you fucking like it or not"

Ha that made me laugh, Jim, you got balls.

Good episode, and I guess it's nice to see some people finally coming around and not just slagging you off.

EDIT: I just realised, people liked this episode because he was basically slagging off the publishing giants, which is considered cool on this website...

viranimus:
Wow... Honestly, thank you Jim. You could not be any more right in this one specific instance.

/kudos

Agreed. Jim seems to be getting a handle on how Escapist's audience is different than Destructiod's.

Also, he upped the sarcasm high enough that it's now clear he's entirely sarcastic.

I fucking love the jimquisition.

Hmm,I'm very surprised.

This episode has managed to entertain me to a point where I thought impossible.

Good job sir!

The only thing that I didn't really agree with is the bitching about day one DLC.

It makes me sad that gamers don't understand that there's a huge amount of time between when a game is finished, and when it gets to the stores for you to buy. The developers have to do something in that time, and it may as well be something that you can use.

Right-O Jim.

I recently had my cable go out for three days. In those three days, I noticed that I had trouble playing several games offline, and many of them were EA titles. Dead Space 2 and Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit both suddenly demanded that I provide a key code to play--hard to do since I'm offline and can't access the Comrade utility I have to sign in to to for NFS:HP and Steam for Dead space 2.

Some games were more forgiving and let me play (such as Blur) but bitched incessantly at me that I wasn't online.

Any game that required Game for Windows Live, including Fallout 3, would let me play, but would not let me access my save files for my level 30 character since I wasn't signed in and online with GFWL. Bioshock 2 did the same thing to me.

I couldn't even play against practice round bots in CoD Black Ops; BOTS! The game wouldn't let me play what should have been an offline single-player feature without being online.

When I signed on to the 360, I loaded up Mass Effect 2 only to get a message telling me all my DLC downloads were suddenly corrupted and needed to be re-downloaded. Why? Because even though I legitimately own Mass Effect 2 and paid for that DLC, apparently I still need to be online and connected to by Cerberus and Xbox Live to use them. That really pissed me off.

Anyway, it was a sobering realization that probably half my game collection either was not accessible or acted very weird for the three days I had to wait for Comcast to fix my cable. That's going to influence what I buy in the future: EA Games is something I just might not bother with in the future (well, except for ME3 damn their blackened souls).

-Samurai-:
The only thing that I didn't really agree with is the bitching about day one DLC.

It makes me sad that gamers don't understand that there's a huge amount of time between when a game is finished, and when it gets to the stores for you to buy. The developers have to do something in that time, and it may as well be something that you can use.

I thought the issue with Day One DLC was more that it was inevitably already on the disc youjust bought; its information that was done, loaded, and all it needs is a paid unlock. Most people feel that that's an example of a developer finishing a game, then the publisher comes in ands cherry-picks features that were Already There and has the developer roll them back to make extra money.

My solution for a while now has been, whever possible, to wait until a game is released in a definitive "GoTY" edition which usually is cheaper and includes most or all the DLC anyway....DLC inevitably drives me to wait on titles that have it built-in, just to avoid unnecessary price gouging.

I thank god for Jim every day at church, in the Vatican, with the Pope.

A Jimquisition that is pretty mature and actually good?

Bravo...

Also, I don't have a fridge big enough for a Jim Sterling magnet.

I never thought I would live to see the day when a Brit pronounced vitamins properly. If you could work yogurt, aluminium and renaissance into future episodes, then I can die a happy man. Thanks!

oneshotfinchy:
At least Jimquisition+ is better than those fucking Konami accounts.

Konami is the worst haha.
Took me like an hour to set up an account for Metal Gear Online and then it took me 7 hours to patch the damn thing.

Arrogant as hell bt actually fairly informative, and I actually wacthed all the way through this time. Might give the others a look if feel daring. Though I still say he needs to go to a format like ZP..all the way through. Its actually easier to focus in those bits in his videos, but he comes off as arrogant when you see him

Great episode with some well thought out points. The sound was alot better aswell between the voice over and the..non voice over.

I had to download Origin this evening and I feel grotty as a result but at least I don't have to deal with that tool of the devil 'EADM' anymore. The mistrust of gamers is clearly getting alot worse and all of the developers are quick to jump on the bandwagon when someone discovers a method to stop pirates.

Question; if game trading is considered piracy why don't developers shut businesses like Gamestop down? (as much as I will miss the odour of unwashed male emanating from the place >_> it would be a shame) It's always puzzled me. Perhaps the line hasn't been drawn, legally, on that particular issue.

I appreciate him reaching out to girl gamers at the end there with some dildo ads (lol) Maybe he'll get a snog if he brushes his hair, I always have the overwhelming urge to give him a fauxhawk...

NaramSuen:
I never thought I would live to see the day when a Brit pronounced vitamins properly. If you could work yogurt, aluminium and renaissance into future episodes, then I can die a happy man. Thanks!

No offence but it's our language...you guys have the accent :p.

Great, episode.
Keep it up.

Definitely a more insightful episode than most of the others.

I've definitely found myself thinking about how games are going backwards nowadays. With the last generation you just threw in your disc and boom you're ready to go. Now you have to throw the disc in, download an update to your platform, download an update to the game, install the game onto your hard drive, restart your computer, load up the game, watch 5 minutes of logos flashing on the screen, watch an unnecessary menu animation, and then maybe the game will finally let you play.

Seriously. I can go into my closet, pull out my N64, rewire the console in the back, and STILL load the game up faster than on my PS3.

And what the F_CK happened to memory cards?! Why in the holy land of shit does my friend have to lug around his PS3 back and forth from his house to mine each time we hang out just to show me cutscenes in games he's beaten?! Even if he transfers his save data to his PSP and loads it onto my PS3 it just says "This data was saved on another PS3. I'm sorry Stamm, I'm afraid I can't do that".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here