Escape to the Movies: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 15 NEXT

daxterx2005:

arc1991:

daxterx2005:

"trilogy" is three films broski

So no, you're incorrect. This trilogy is over.

Unless of course...you know...they continue it...

Which they will...because it's been confirmed.

In which case, it would be a NEW Trilogy.

You're either entirely missing the point, or are as stubborn as an Ox.

You're wrong.

*Cough* Saw *Cough*

There are many films that have more than 3 films, without them being classed as a trilogy, yes the Transformer films are a trilogy now, but as soon as a new one is made, it will be a Quadrilogy and so on. Why on earth would you think a new Trilogy would be made? When they can easily just carry this series of films on?

Is it really so hard to not insult the fanbase of a product just because you don't approve of it?

Can we just have a fucking review and be done with that? Review the movie, not the people who watch it. No one gives a fuck over your social commentary / "white knight here to save the movie industry"-bullshit.

Inb4 "lulz you liek transformerz". No, I don't like these movies. But I'm not a elitist sack of shit who constantly thinks that someone's tastes in entertainment defines their character. And yes, you are being elitist if you think that your likes and dislikes make you a better person. There really aren't a lot of other terms for it.

I think Bob might just quit reviewing movies if Captain America ends up sucking.

I am probably seeing this Sunday cause a bunch of friends are going. If it was up to me, I would see Bad Teacher. I like Cameron Diaz...

I wasn't going to see it anyway but that more because I didn't like the last two.

But lets be honest we all like films with big explosions every now and then! =]

Another note:

I know the military guys take up way too much of the story in this series, but DOTM almost makes that worthwhile.

For about five minutes we get to see the one & only Cole Train taking on Decepticons. And even in a crappy film, that's awesome.

CosmicCommander:
The third one was out?

Damn, I need to get outdoors.

Just as long as outdoors is away from a theater, amirite?

Seriously though, I give Scalia about one decision before he blows his cool points.

I might watch it on Netflix, provided I figure out how to get that bored and drunk.

sravankb:
Is it really so hard to not insult the fanbase of a product just because you don't approve of it?

Can we just have a fucking review and be done with that? Review the movie, not the people who watch it. No one gives a fuck over your social commentary / "white knight here to save the movie industry"-bullshit.

Inb4 "lulz you liek transformerz". No, I don't like these movies. But I'm not a elitist sack of shit who constantly thinks that someone's tastes in entertainment defines their character. And yes, you are being elitist if you think that your likes and dislikes make you a better person. There really aren't a lot of other terms for it.

I might have missed it but where did he insult the fanbase? All I heard on it was him being tired of the shit which is fair enough. He's a movie critic he sees the tripe day in and day out. People like me get to pick one, maybe two, crappy films to watch alongside the good ones and that's cool. I don't mind a popcorn popping brain switchoff every now and again.
Hell, it's actually quite nice. Things which stop my brain from flying are really enjoyable for me because normally it doesn't happen, one such thing is crappy popcorn films like Transformers.

If I had to see it every freakin week? Fuck no, I'd be tired too.

On the review, unsurprising. I was hoping they would focus on the robots more with Megan Fox gone but no luck. Also what was that about Megatron being confused by a woman? Whut?!

arc1991:

daxterx2005:

arc1991:

Unless of course...you know...they continue it...

Which they will...because it's been confirmed.

You're wrong.

*Cough* Saw *Cough*

There are many films that have more than 3 films, without them being classed as a trilogy, yes the Transformer films are a trilogy now, but as soon as a new one is made, it will be a Quadrilogy and so on. Why on earth would you think a new Trilogy would be made? When they can easily just carry this series of films on?

Saw was never intended to be a trilogy. Bayformers was always planned to be a trilogy. Bay is gone, the trilogy is over.

A human makes Megatron insecure with his robo-humanhood. While Bob does say it's better then the second movie, that sentence really disturbed me. I was thinking Micheal Bay can't commit a crime to the Transformers that he's not already done in the last two so the third should just be a rehash of the bad. Sadly he can still find new ways to piss me off.

The only problem I have with with this review is that Bob flat out called anyone that goes to see this movie an idiot if not worst. I don't think its appropriate for a review to just fling around insults like that no matter how much he or she dislikes a movie since generalizing all the people who go to see it is very myopic.

As far as I'm concerned Scalia just went from being less in the negative on cool points. The Citizens United case still makes me angry.

As for the movie itself - all I can say is that if you go to see it you know what to expect and what you're getting yourself into. So if you dislike it you only have yourself to blame. And if you like it, cool. Glad you could enjoy the film. Less glad that you're supporting Michael Bay in the process, but whatever - the movie's already out and the damage is done.

sravankb:

I also have no idea how you got that from the review. Misinterpretation of something Bob said, methinks.

Alright Bob, a few things:
Thing 1: be very careful about insulting people directly, a line you crossed and then (genuinely and appropriately appologized for) in your other transformers review when you called Michael Bay himself a douchebag. This refers to your "behind the wheel of a car or a voting booth" comment, as if anyone who went to see TF3 and enjoyed it at all was a dumbass.

Thing 2: The whole "stop being elitist" thing? News: they're right! I'm sorry, but it's not supposed to get an oscar. You forget that these movies exist, and SO DO other movies with moving characters and stories. Transformers 3 isn't going to prevent great, artistic, or meaningful films from coming out. It's the summer, blockbuster season. nothing new, no change in trend. Review it as what it is, an action movie, which you said was great for that for all of 4 seconds before berating it completely based on all the other things it did poorly because it's not that kind of film or that directer's forte.

And Thing 3: Almost never have I seen such a blatantly hypocritical statement following a review as in this one in which you referenced Captain America at the end. Think about that one.

I'm not saying I loved the movie or hated it but I do have one thing for it, being a film student myself: respect, something you should never lose your grip on.

that being said, I'd like to know what you thought of a completely different film, the Tree of Life. It's a second opinion kind of movie and no one I know has seen it for some reason (probably because it's a more independant, non full-release deal).

Thanks Bob, you are one of my favorite reviewers, and I hope sincerely this doesn't come off as asshole-ish but more of a consideration, although if it doesn't seem that way, I understand.

Twilight_guy:
The only problem I have with with this review is that Bob flat out called anyone that goes to see this movie an idiot if not worst. I don't think its appropriate for a review to just fling around insults like that no matter how much he or she dislikes a movie since generalizing all the people who go to see it is very myopic.

Yeah. I really like Bob, but I cringe every time he does that. It seems un-necessary and pointlessly hurtful. I've never been the target of one of his insults but if I ever am, I know it's going to sting a lot. And I don't think they bring much to his reviews.

Do they make his videos more popular? Possibly. It seems his negative reviews get more comments, so I guess people enjoy seeing him upset, but it's hard to tell if it's because he's destroying a movie or because he's destroying the people who liked it. You can do one without the other.

But I like his reviews, and I like the guy, and he's smart and has a lot of interesting things to say, so I just try to close my ears (which is actually very hard to do) when he goes to the personal attacks, and stick around for the insightful stuff.

What else can we do anyways? It's not like I can go "Bob, pretty please, would you stick to insulting the movies and not the people who like them?" and he'll be like "Sure thing, random person from the Internet whom I don't know but whose opinion suddenly matters!" It doesn't work that way.

MowDownJoe:

Samoftherocks:
What did Nimoy do?

He apparently makes a cameo in this film.

No actually he is the voice for Sentinel Prime.
and back in 1986 he was the voice for galvatron in the animated movie. :)

why you no review Kung Fu Panda?

I loved that movie and more people need to know how awesome it is!!

commasplice:

Still Life:

commasplice:
On a related note:

I think that people taking issue with Bob insulting the people who enjoy these movies is fair.

I think it's justified considering that Hollywood take ticket sales for this bucket-load of drivel as an incentive to cash in on another sequel/rip off/disaster/waste of money. They truly are awful films inspiring the trend of awful films.

Well, I agree in that I think they're terrible and a waste of . . . just about every resource put into making them, but people still have a right to enjoy them if they like, you know?

Yes. And I similarly don't have a problem with Bob having a critical jab at the industry and the people who fuel it.

Dan Shive:
You're not elitist because you don't like the Transformers movies. You're elitist because you characterize the people who do as frat boy morons.

I have to agree with Mr. Shive on this one. I can respect and even understand why MovieBob doesn't like the Transformers movies, but suggesting - even insincerely - that those who do shouldn't be allowed to drive or vote is just uncalled for. It's not funny, it just makes him sound like an elitist tool.

Off-topic: Is this the same Dan Shive that does the MTG comics and card designs on deviantART? Those are excellent.

MovieBob:
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Bob actually has a few good things to say about Transformers 3.

Watch Video

I agree. I think it was just a bunch of crap. Like The effects were great, but i had LITTLE TO NO PLOT. BTW, I <3 your show movie bob. You say so much i like to hear

thelastgentleman:
I actually liked the film...not in any form a classic but for a guys night out B movieish film I would recommend it. I love your reviews Bob, but if you could show love for piranhas 3d i think some understanding for Transformers is possible.

I'm not even gonna read the other 7 pages of posts, but I like this. I really really like what you said there, my friend. Piranha 3D was just balls stupid and he praised it. But he can't get beyond Transformers. Good show. Mario Cookie for you.

I wish they made another movie, in about 10 years' time, with the War for Cybertron-style transformers. Those were damn cool.

Also, poor Bob. If Captain America sucks, he might just die. :c

where are the good movies?
it's been a long time since i 've been in a cinema.
because : there are a lot movies ... not worth watching.
so people watch movies about stuff that they already are fan of, and the movie-makers use that kind of behaviour by making movies about stuff that many people are fan of.

cicle of death and destruction ... of movies.

no ... "good movies"

Did anybody else think that Bob's pairing of the image of the Pentagon with his statement about Bay humping it (dry or otherwise) brought on some unfortunate implications about the design of that building? I mean, it's the only military-related thing that doesn't look very phallic...

...Anyway, that's all I've got to add. Had no interest in the new Transformers other than to see if Bob's inevitable rant would be as good as the one regarding the last film (not quite, but still a bit fun).

Wait, so are you saying Unicron DOESN'T show up in this one? DAMMIT BAY! THREE MOVIES AND WE GET A PLANET THAT EATS PLANETS! THAT WAS THE DEAL!

Also, you're tired of militarism, so a WW2 movie's gonna cure that? Are you that much of a fan of everyone's favorite war?

Wow, the only good thing I spoted in this video was The Captian America bit right at the end... You know, I thought the first movie was good, simply because I thought it would be total ass. Turns out Bay needed a second try to make an ass movie...

You know, I finally figured out why MovieBob hates the Transformers movies. He hates America.

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, it's clear that MovieBob's main bone of contention with the movies isn't the lackluster plot (most B-grade summer blockbusters have a bad plot) or the acting (cmon, LeBeouf isn't even that bad) or the special effects (i happen to like the robot design personally). It's that he had a preconception of what a "Transformers" movie would be, and these aren't it for him. That's fine, but he needs to recognize that other people, people with perfectly good taste mind you, DIDN'T share his preconceptions. I'm perfectly ok with the Transformer's franchise being essentially about a teenage/young adult male with his cool robot pals hanging around the background.

Let's face it, we're talking about Transformers. It's not exactly the most monolithic, consistent, or ambitious of franchises. It is and always has been a vehicle to sell expensive action figures to little boys. Whether that means the plot revolves around robots that turn into cars with some human involvement, robots that turn into animals with literally no humans around, robots that turn into cars when a little girl kisses them, or the myriad variations thereof, that's all it has been. There is plenty of room in there for "Adolescent Male with girl troubles + robots that turn into cars + awesome GI Joes." And hey, as escapist action for the 18-31 year old male demo to watch and self-insert, it works pretty nicely. Big explosions, hot girls, manly bros. That's all Bay promises, and he delivers it all.

That said, Transformers 2 kinda sucked, but mostly because of the midly racist and generally unfunny stereotyping. If TF3 is on par with the first, then it'll be fun.

edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is this. There are three types of negative reviews.
1) "I don't like this movie because I like this type of movie and this is a poor example"
2) "I don't like this movie because I don't like the type of movie"
3) "I don't like this movie because I don't like this type of movie and it is a poor example of the type"

This review clearly falls in the #2 camp. Which is ok, but means that anyone who does enjoy the type may safely ignore his opinion because it is irrelevant and misleading. And no, it is not an example of #3. #3 would be a movie like "The Shooter" or anything else that WWE films puts out with John Cena. As in, not just macho bullshit, but poorly executed macho bullshit. Say what you will, Micheal Bay does not poorly execute.

Z of the Na'vi:
Fine Bob, that's your opinion. Your personal feelings toward Transformers only reinforce what you want in a Transformers movie. Dark of the Moon, clearly was not what you were looking for; nor any of the Transformers movies for that matter. I accept that.

Don't however, assume that everybody views movies as you do. Earlier this morning, I too, went and saw the new Transformers. After stepping out of the theater, you know what? I got what I paid for: a two and half hour session of robots, explosions, and beating the crap out of each other. Nothing more, nothing less. Optimus was badass, Sentinel was cool, and Megatron, well...

You keep expecting this grand retelling of the old Transformers movie from the 80's, when this is just the way thing are now. So you don't like it. Oh well. Others do and will, and the movie will go on to make an assload of money. Good on them, I say. The movie was exciting and held my attention as well as entertained me.

I couldn't ask any more of any film, the fact it was Transformers notwithstanding.

Megatron Died Like a Bitch?!?! Ha! He got Sub-Zero'd (Head ripped off with his spine in), but at least he died by another robot.

F*CKING STARSCREAM DIED LIKE A SUPER BITCH!!...killed by Sam >:(

That guy's name is Shia Lebo?

Wow, I always registered him and the Spiderman guy as the same person. Yeah, I know they look way different, but I don't really pay attention to small time action actors.
Is he any good? His performance in Transformers is painful to watch, yet I don't know whether that is his fault for being a terrible actor, or someone else's fault for giving him terrible lines.

Captcha:
Why are you trying to make me do an integral? I don't even have a S-superscriptB-subscriptA key.

Ugh, comic book nerds never enjoy anything based on their stuff, unless it's the most pandering stuff (X-men First Class). My God, they did Green Lantern differently than in a different visual medium! And differently than I would have!

And they highlighted different characters than I would have! And they didn't have Tom Bombadil!

My God! They made Transformers an action movie where robots fight each other and cool stuff happens! You know, like when you played with the ridiculously popular action figures when you were a kid.

Oh, you're mad that they didn't capture the drama and nuance of the cartoon series from the '80s? Maybe you should have skipped the popcorn and bought some realistic fucking expectations instead.

It was funny. It had action. It had a giant Transformer worm that tunneled through buildings.

For fuck's sake, watch Transformers 3 then watch any of the animated movies and tell me which entertained you more.

Protip: don't let irrational personal hatred of the people involved in the production detract from your enjoyment of the actual product.

I think there's a lot of nostalgia clouding peoples' recollections of the actual series. Anyone who complains about the acting in the Michael Bay Transformers series should compare it to the voice acting from the versions they claim to love. Compare the animation/visualization.

If you're let down by Bay's failure to measure up to 'what could have been', you should probably have exactly the same opinion about the lower-grade, probably worse-acted source material that you apparently masturbate to while cutting out the eyes from photographs of Michael Bay.

Do I detect another liberal being confused that a conservative actually supports freedom of speech in this video? I think I do!*

As for the movie... eh, think I'll wait for it to come out on Blue-Ray or something. I'm also tired of being expected to watch a bad movie just because it has a brand name and special effects.

* In regards to that petty little jab at Justice Scalia.

The first Transformers movie was okay. 5 or 6/10, not great, not aweful.
The second one was horrible. Somewher between 2 and -1. This film made me literally sick.
This one looks like it will be as decent as the first one, and I am okay with that.

It definitely won't be the greatest movie ever, but I will probably eventually see it. Not expecting a masterpiece.

Also, Bob is really holding against people that like these movies.

daxterx2005:

arc1991:

daxterx2005:

You're wrong.

*Cough* Saw *Cough*

Saw was never intended to be a trilogy. Bayformers was always planned to be a trilogy. Bay is gone, the trilogy is over.

No, more movies are being put into the franchise, so the first three are not a trilogy. A trilogy is a franchise with only 3 installments. It makes no difference if the director changes. If it is in the same continuity as the other films, the first 3 films aren't a trilogy anymore (ie: the Indiana Jones franchise/ quadrilogy).

CliveStaples:
I think there's a lot of nostalgia clouding peoples' recollections of the actual series. Anyone who complains about the acting in the Michael Bay Transformers series should compare it to the voice acting from the versions they claim to love. Compare the animation/visualization.

Thou doth protest too much. Okay, so the source material was a badly animated cartoon for children. Few problems with your argument, though.

1) It was about the titular characters, like you would freaking expect. Oh, and they had personalities.

2) You aren't bored to death at the beginning by the adventures of some schlub you don't give a damn about.

3) While violent, the original cartoon did not stray into other kinds of territory which is just inappropriate and out-of-place for something meant to feature a line of toys (any number of sex jokes in Bay's films).

4) And yes, the original Transformers: The Movie, for all its flaws, was better than Bay's films. I don't care if you think that's a ridiculous statement. Decades after its release, people still get nostalgic for TFTM. Twenty years from now people won't even remember Bayformers.

The issue, which you have missed entirely, is not that Bay's work doesn't compare to the original cartoon series, but that we could have gotten a vastly superior movie if it was helmed by somebody who loved this franchise rather than someone who had utter contempt for it and really wanted to be making something else.

Maybe you shouldn't be a movie reviewer if you're so "tired"?

Stop complaining. It is not interesting to listen to.

Zing:
Maybe you shouldn't be a movie reviewer if you're so "tired"?

Stop complaining. It is not interesting to listen to.

He's proffered a better argument on the state of then industry than you have.

RDubayoo:
Thou doth protest too much. Okay, so the source material was a badly animated cartoon for children. Few problems with your argument, though.

1) It was about the titular characters, like you would freaking expect. Oh, and they had personalities.

Transformers wasn't about Transformers?

And you couldn't tell the difference between the Transformers' personalities? You couldn't distinguish Bumblebee from Optimus Prime, or the two little dudes?

Seems like you're mad that they didn't have a bigger stable of characters.

2) You aren't bored to death at the beginning by the adventures of some schlub you don't give a damn about.

You didn't like Sam? Or you didn't care, because you wanted to see Transformers! : The movie with only Transformers in it, because fuck adaptations.

3) While violent, the original cartoon did not stray into other kinds of territory which is just inappropriate and out-of-place for something meant to feature a line of toys (any number of sex jokes in Bay's films).

Oh, so the movie needs to be targeted exactly at your preferences, but not at your demographic?

4) And yes, the original Transformers: The Movie, for all its flaws, was better than Bay's films. I don't care if you think that's a ridiculous statement. Decades after its release, people still get nostalgic for TFTM. Twenty years from now people won't even remember Bayformers.

Yes, that's a ridiculous statement. Transparently so.

People are still nostalgic for TFTM because they saw it 20 years ago without applying the same critical apparatus. My point is that if you would have seen it using the critical apparatus you're using against Bay, you'd have fucking hated the original too.

The issue, which you have missed entirely, is not that Bay's work doesn't compare to the original cartoon series, but that we could have gotten a vastly superior movie if it was helmed by somebody who loved this franchise rather than someone who had utter contempt for it and really wanted to be making something else.

True, but you could level the same 'measuring up to potential' argument against the original. "Imagine how much better this could have been!" is not a persuasive argument that the product isn't enjoyable. "It could have been more enjoyable than it is" may be true, but it doesn't show where you are on the entertainment spectrum.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here