Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

What happened? Was the review too short, so he decided to slow it down just to make it last longer?

that was american mcgee, not yahtzee...

Genixma:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.

It's winter in Australia.

He's either got a cold or a new mic. I don't really mind, but it was a brief surprise.

Genixma:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.

In case you didn't know, it;s winter in australia.

Even though I agree with the arguments he brings up about this game, I cannot agree with what he says about the first Alice game, which was great, and especially about Scrapland, which is one of my favorite games of all time, along Starcraft, and Heroes of Might and Magic III. It has its flaws, but it's a wonderful, and gorgeous(for its time) game, with a great story...but that's just my 2 cents.

I hope he only has a cold and its not a new mic if it is he should return it

He didn't seem that into it this week. It might have something to do with his voice. It's the same voice he had during his Assassin's Creed 2 review. Turns out he had a cold or something. So he's likely tired.

Note: loved the ending! Little chuckle he added just made it funnier.

I got this game because I loved the original, and found it to be worth it. The fact that it comes with an HD version of the original only makes it that much sweeter.

haha haaa the ending's tone fit right in there

but I don't know much about the original game or series except what some videos have told me about the game's creator and a quick overview of the game (yes, made in China lolz)...I try to avoid calling things pretentious without knowing more about it but people seem to be going there

Yessssss Always ads, I really feel like buying some pads now

but yea, I love this game although it gets pretty repetitive.. I find the story and atmosphere absolutely amazing though.

I won't say "blasphemy" since I don't even consider it a word, but the original Alice was a true masterpiece, except for the very simplistic puzzles. Yahtzee didn't provide any evidence what so ever to support his claim that it "wasn't that good". Weapons weren't worthless as he said, even though I remember Vorpal Blade, Blunderbuss and Jabberwock's Eye Staff the most. The original's atmosphere is what mostly made the game, truly. The script was neat too.

I shall give this one a go, even despite all the "mixed" reviews and the lack of bosses, which the original had plenty of. I just hope it'll be half as good as the original was.

The end phrase of his rant was pretty good, but we'll see if that's going to be the case. Only time will tell.

Did Yahtzee's balls drop this week?

Hope you feel better soon.

"Mad returns" + the laugh + the look of satisfaction on facsimile Yahtzee's face was brilliant.

"It's like putting a pitbull down with carpet bombing"

Hehe i lol'd xD

good review as ever, loved the laugh at the end xD Neh heh nyeh xD

its definitely Yahtzee, he's just got a cold or lost his voice. He sounds like he did in the first few videos and his voice cracks a few times.

Funny As always xD

Funny as always, a good start to the end of my day!

OhJohnNo:
Sounds like he bought his old voice back.

Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?

I thought that, it seems kind of cheap for a platformer. Although he could be exaggerating.

That voice, so deep. (I kinda like it, tho.) Does Yahtzee have a cold?

shadowmagus:
This person tried to sound like Yahtzee, but it's as if certain inflections were different. Return our Yahtzee alien scum. We are gamers and we have a long and storied history of knowing how to blast your kind back into space.

Dude it's Yahtzee, just with added cold or flu. Look back at the first review and the Assassins Creed 2 one and he sounds the same. Remember that its winter in Australia and around half the population has a cold, myself included.

Clipclop:
one thing i realize more and more about yahtzee, its that simply put he's a bad gamer. really, any game that requires twitch skills or really intense hand eye coordination he simply stamps "to hard" on it. I played the game on the hardest difficulty and found it a cake walk, but I regularly play bullet curtain games.

he's great at reviewing, great a being a comedian, but his actual skills are extremely lacking.

Uhh dude in no moment during this video does he say that the game is too hard, complaining about bad level design and poor gameplay is something completely different, and I do not recall any video were he decries a twitchy game for being too hard. Think about it, he's in his mid/late 20's and has been gaming for most his life. I doubt that with around 20 years of experience with games anyone would be bad at playing them. Plus have you actually seen him play?

one the more better episodes to come up recently, even with the cold

Warforger:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Wait, is this Yahtzee? It kind of sounds like him, but it kinda doesnt. Gives you a weird feeling when listening.

It's a cold, he sounded like this in his God Of War 3 review and it happens time to time.

I think it sounds more like he did in his very first videos.

I agree that's its really pretentious, but when i saw the game actually being played, it wasn't as bad as i expected.

The lack of enthusiasm and energy in his laugh at the end was hilarious!

Didn't think much of the review though, but that tends to him with his reviews of games I haven't played.

I just got new speakers today and this was the first thing i listened to on them. I seriously thought I was going to have to take them back lol. Good to know its not just me.

uguito-93:

Clipclop:
one thing i realize more and more about yahtzee, its that simply put he's a bad gamer. really, any game that requires twitch skills or really intense hand eye coordination he simply stamps "to hard" on it. I played the game on the hardest difficulty and found it a cake walk, but I regularly play bullet curtain games.

he's great at reviewing, great a being a comedian, but his actual skills are extremely lacking.

Uhh dude in no moment during this video does he say that the game is too hard, complaining about bad level design and poor gameplay is something completely different, and I do not recall any video were he decries a twitchy game for being too hard. Think about it, he's in his mid/late 20's and has been gaming for most his life. I doubt that with around 20 years of experience with games anyone would be bad at playing them. Plus have you actually seen him play?

thats just it. There IS no bad level design or gameplay. The buttons are 100% complete responsive, its made to be a action platformer at its core. Using your dodge skills is a must and getting hit is no fault but the players, and sometimes the cameras.

Wow, I didn't know you turn into a proper gentleman when you have a cold, Yahtzee. XD

I never did understood what's the big deal with American McGee's games anyway. Bizarre and dark is good and all, for they make interesting eye catcher, but only relying on bizarre visuals and dark storylines could only carry your games just far enough for the gameplay to take over. And if the gameplay fails to capture the attention of the gamer after receiving that pass from the visual and storyline hurdles, well, it just won't work.

Clipclop:

uguito-93:

Clipclop:

thats just it. There IS no bad level design or gameplay. The buttons are 100% complete responsive, its made to be a action platformer at its core. Using your dodge skills is a must and getting hit is no fault but the players, and sometimes the cameras.

I've only played a few levels of it so my opinion might not reflect the whole game, but i have to disagree. While the controls worked fine for the brief time i played it I still found them to feel a sluggish and not as responsive as you made it out to be. I found the section I played through to be an uninspired sequence of floating platforms with the only the backdrop having any hint of creativity.

He sounds like he did in the very first ZP episodes. Honestly, I liked it better before he got all rage-filled and just had more deadpan sarcasm. I hope he stays with this.

uguito-93:

Clipclop:

uguito-93:

I've only played a few levels of it so my opinion might not reflect the whole game, but i have to disagree. While the controls worked fine for the brief time i played it I still found them to feel a sluggish and not as responsive as you made it out to be. I found the section I played through to be an uninspired sequence of floating platforms with the only the backdrop having any hint of creativity.

Than your obvoiusly just not that great at it. No offense. I could easily do a "no hit" run with this game on the hardest difficulty because the dodge and attack controls are so perfectly streamlined. There IS no sluggishness besides the switch between the teapot cannon and the pepper gun, and thats there for balance obvoiusly. This game is hands down the most responsive "big title" i've played this year.

Now as a "platformer" it is lackluster, its repetitive and doesn't make alot of sense. But as a 'action game" it easily gets a 10 out of 10. The only thing i can really tell you is to "get better at it" because the fault only lies with you and sometimes rarely when the camera gives you shit.

So, the train is climin' in her window, snatchin' her people up?

I have to agree about hammering the "creepy doll face" theme into the ground. The large number of enemies designed around that were just... dull. And they show up in practically every level (some of which seem much longer than necessary).

One thing that surprisingly wasn't really mentioned were the minigames, which were probably the most jarring, immersion-killing minis I've ever played. There's a point where

I ran into a bug at one point where a switch had no effect, but it resolved itself on the next try.

On the plus side, I actually really enjoyed some of the concept artish cut scenes. And some of the individual level designs were really lovely at first, like the

The controls were good, the target lock system was awful. Hell of a lot more plot than most new games, say what you will. Overall pretty enjoyable.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here