The Big Picture: Hollywood History 101: Part 2

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hollywood History 101: Part 2

TV arrives to threaten the movie industry.

Watch Video

Informative, to say the least.

Video games are the cause of the Transformers movies?!? Oh, what a world! What a world!

And the geeks would inherit the earth...

Damn you Bob for selling a show!

This is quickly becoming my hands down favorite feature on the Escapist. I love hearing about all this stuff. Who knew that pop culture history could be so interesting?

I get the feeling we're going to be hearing a bit about Spielberg and Lucas next time.

Can't wait to hear you talk about the Hay's code. Read up on it last time and it sounds like a bunch of crap.

Entertaining and educational at the same time. Good job!

*cries for MOUR!!!*

This has been great so far, and seeing the albeit broad similarities between Hollywood now and then could make one stop and consider for a second if Hollywood thinks they are getting pressure from other sources again today.

I like these education episodes of "The Big Picture" that Bob's been releasing. Maybe he's a frustrated teacher who never got a teaching degree or something. Looking forward to part 3 of most likely 4 videos.

Also Bob forgot to mention the Internet in the new medium affecting Hollywood. Seriously it's a bigger threat then video games thanks to piracy and on demand entertainment. If Hollywood had half a brain they'd sell online movie passes to watch their in cinema movies on a dedicated movie website for less then the ticket price of the cinema. Also to sweeten the deal they can release the movies before the cinema. See! I saved Hollywood with common sense!

In retrospect, it's not surprising Hollywood missed the boat with teenagers. Adolescence as a social institution didn't really come about until around the 40s and 50s. Most people, especially in the Depression era, couldn't afford to go to school past their pre-teen years. They needed to work, probably to help support their families, and if they weren't treated as adults they were definitely adults-in-training. Post-war prosperity meant more children could stay in high school well into their teens, and that shared social experience, along with other indicators of prosperity like automobiles, was the foundation of North American adolescent culture.

EverythingIncredible:
Can't wait to hear you talk about the Hay's code. Read up on it last time and it sounds like a bunch of crap.

It was, for the most part. Overall, we're definitely better off with it behind us. On the other hand, a drama teacher friend of mine has a bit of a soft spot for it. When sexuality couldn't be shown explicitly, films had to imply a lot with innuendo, dialogue, facial expressions and symbolism, which left a lot to the imagination. If you've ever seen the classic romantic comedy It Happened One Night, the "Wall of Jericho" is a great example of this.

CosmicCommander:

JPArbiter:

IT'S STAR WARS, I TELL YA'.

LUCAS AND HIS INDEPENDENT FESTIVAL THAT REJUVENATED EVERYTHING.

I WIN.

Independant? Star Wars was backed by Fox.

I don't think I've ever been frustrated by the length of these episodes until now, I know Bob must be a busy man but when it comes to episodes with two or three parts like this I wish he could make them a bit longer.

JPArbiter:

CosmicCommander:

JPArbiter:

IT'S STAR WARS, I TELL YA'.

LUCAS AND HIS INDEPENDENT FESTIVAL THAT REJUVENATED EVERYTHING.

I WIN.

Independant? Star Wars was backed by Fox.

I was referring to the fact that Lucas did pretty much write, direct, cast, produce, and begged Fox to help the thing independently; the only thing Star Wars had was monetary backing, and even that was ready to be retracted at a hair-trigger (nearly was, at many points). Although you can't technically refer to it as an indie film, it was damn close.

Another awesome update.

I'm really liking these Big Pictures on the film history.

Can't wait for the Hays code episode.

Calling it, Summer blockbusters save Hollywood. Starting with Jaws and moving on towards Star Wars.

"DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE ELSE?"
Exactly what I was thinking leading up to that point.

I'm really enjoying this. Hurray for learning!

And that last sentence sent chills down my back.
"Where the old gods fell, geeks would inherit the earth."

WOAH.

3:24--"however superficially". A minor, probably unnecessary qualification, and one that gets lost in a moment of detailed explanation, but it is that sort of thing which makes this show so great; it shows that Chipman knows and cares about the subject matter.

I was expecting to hear a lot more about the Hays Code in this series, to be honest. If it is getting its own five and a half, though, I am already excited about that video.

ultimasupersaiyan:

Also Bob forgot to mention the Internet in the new medium affecting Hollywood. Seriously it's a bigger threat then video games thanks to piracy and on demand entertainment. If Hollywood had half a brain they'd sell online movie passes to watch their in cinema movies on a dedicated movie website for less then the ticket price of the cinema. Also to sweeten the deal they can release the movies before the cinema. See! I saved Hollywood with common sense!

I agree with you, but I don't think he forgot.

In case you hadn't notice, Bob is going forward in time in a linear fashion... this video ends in the seventies, long before the internet was around.

i am loving these quick history lessons, keep going bob

I can see what's coming next week and I can't wait to hear what Bob has to say about that era, heck, one of the best eras of movie making ever.

Really digging these little history lessons

The end was epic. Somehow I feel like this series will end with MovieBob saying how awesome the 1980's were for movie industry, how the 1990's only saw some good films and the 2000's struggled to compete with gaming and now Hollywood makes only safe bets. Like Fast and Furius or Avatar (new IP, but a story well known by any person above 10 years old).

brazuca:
The end was epic. Somehow I feel like this series will end with MovieBob saying how awesome the 1980's were for movie industry, how the 1990's only saw some good films and the 2000's struggled to compete with gaming and now Hollywood makes only safe bets. Like Fast and Furius or Avatar (new IP, but a story well known by any person above 10 years old).

Uh, environmental anti-war/colonialism films don't make money, and Fox even wanted Cameron to tone some of it down which he didn't. Avatar was not a sure bet. And the main story of the movie is not Jake falling for Neytiri or fighting with the Na'vi.

Yeah, Lucas did star was but what got him the green light to do it was American Graffiti. And yes there were others out there by the way guys.....ever hear of a film called Jaws???

and BTW Bob The Road to Series was AWESOME!!! Bing Crosby Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour were hilarious... mostly Bob and Bing.... but still.

And no I'm not 80, Im in my twenties, but I can still appreciate old cinema.

Very informative, made me wish they had teach this kind of stuff in history lesson!
Still part of it remind me of certain scenes from the film Cinema Paradisco, during the part the cinema lead to a downfall due to the arrival of television.

Can't wait till next week :)

And I now have my quote of awesome for the next month. I now await an entire episode about said Geeks inheriting the earth, shall be fun.

shit hes still talking about hollywood history...
last time i got too bored and left too

Gunnyboy:

brazuca:

Uh, environmental anti-war/colonialism films don't make money, and Fox even wanted Cameron to tone some of it down which he didn't. Avatar was not a sure bet. And the main story of the movie is not Jake falling for Neytiri or fighting with the Na'vi.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19304_5-classic-movies-that-seemed-like-terrible-ideas-at-time.html
This kind remind me of this article.

metal mustache:
shit hes still talking about hollywood history...
last time i got too bored and left too

To know where you are going, you have to know where you came from...

Plus You don't have to watch it.

MorganL4:
Yeah, Lucas did star was but what got him the green light to do it was American Graffiti. And yes there were others out there by the way guys.....ever hear of a film called Jaws???

and BTW Bob The Road to Series was AWESOME!!! Bing Crosby Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour were hilarious... mostly Bob and Bing.... but still.

And no I'm not 80, Im in my twenties, but I can still appreciate old cinema.

In order:

I think that he is referring to the rise of two things: first, the shift to the more "geek" properties (Star Wars and sci-fi, Jaws and horror, you name it); second, the appearance of educated and trained directors (Lucas, Spielberg, Scorsese, etc.) and how they would revolutionize the industry.

Jaws was in the same boat as Star Wars (in more ways than one) and was produced on a relatively low budget.

The Road to [insert location here] was a good series, but was emblematic of the problems in Hollywood. They were safe, cheep and quick movies that made a decent buck at the cinemas, but otherwise weren't exceptional in their own right.

The internet is probably the best invention to rediscover these old films to the masses. No need to cut discs when you can just upload a digital file instead.

Summary of Zabriskie Point:

Homicidal white supremacist terrifies naive hippie girl with a stolen airplane. They fall in love and fuck in the desert. Racist fails to peaceably return airplane and is shot dead. Hippie girl imagines boss's mansion exploding. Mediocre soundtrack by early Pink Floyd.

And now you don't have to see it for yourself. You're welcome.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here