Escape to the Movies: Cowboys and Aliens

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

I've gotta personally disagree with the entire review, Bob, though I respect your opinion, of course.

Honestly, I did NOT expect to walk out of the theater loving this movie. I thought it was just going to be incredibly goofy and forgettable, but... I dunno, something about it really struck a cord with me on every level. I loved pretty much everything about it. I'm not sure if I could exactly say why, but I did.

Am I the only one that thinks this way? I'm rather curious. Perhaps it's just one of those "made for me" things.

AvauntVanguard:
Bob needs to stop watching movies for like, 5 years or so. Then he can come back and appreciate silliness like this.

Now now, Bob has shown in the past that he can like silly when it's well executed. Heck, he makes clear that he came into this that he was expecting some straightforward fun but even that was denied from us in his opinion.

Hey Bob, way to blame this all on someone completely unrelated. Even if you dislike Abrams you can't deny that he is trying to do something original or at least do old stories in new and interesting ways. For someone who complains that movies are becoming bland and formulaic you seem to have trouble noticing attempts at innovating. Also with the whole Indians and manifest destiny subtext in the movie of course its being used for irony but part of irony is not pointing at it going "Hey look at that isn't that Ironic look at how clever we're being!"

I love how you can look at the comments section in Bob's reviews, and see page 1, "Wow, you are right Bob" whereas pages later, people completely disagree with him.

Incidentally, anybody notice that he hates every single movie that doesn't give him exactly what he expected?

James Crook:
What a shame, I wanted to see it.
Maybe I'll skip :/

Godavari:
Oh yeah, and there was an Olivia Wilde nude scene. So it has that.

I've been waiting for this to happen since the first episode of Dr House she starred in. Yeah.

Eh. There's not really an Olivia Wilde nude scene. She's naked, but you literally see nothing, the movie's rated pg-13.

I liked it. It was like an old Clint Eastwood movie with monsters and spaceships. It is a fun action movie and if you like guns and monsters and complain about firefly not being on the air you should give it a look.

Bob doesn't get why the movie was bad? Here's why:

You can't take a simple concept (no matter how interesting), and just turn it into a movie expecting it to be good. You need to have a plot, and characters, and a SCRIPT, and it seems that movies like this take the one good idea, and fill the rest in like a Mad Lib. It was lifeless because it literally had no life.

Glerken:

James Crook:

Godavari:

I've been waiting for this to happen since the first episode of Dr House she starred in. Yeah.

Eh. There's not really an Olivia Wilde nude scene. She's naked, but you literally see nothing, the movie's rated pg-13.

Oh, well that's just too bad :(
OH LOOK, NUDITY! PG-13 NUDITY WHERE YOU SEE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! THAT'S TOTALLY OKAY!

Oh man I can't wait for when Movie Bob has to sit through Final Destination 5.

The question is is it a fun bad film or just a bad film that drains you of life?

pheipl:
What's Movie Bob's deal with the cloverfield monster, I thought it was awesome simply because it had nothing of what earth creatures would call normal. If he didn't like that he is wrong (I know I'm saying he has his own opinion, I have mine and mine is better but it's true).

Moviebob doesn't like JJ Abrams. I could be wrong there, but yeh, why else would anybody not like the last Star Trek movie? Just to be safe, I'm calling that a rhetorical question.

Anyway, best not to base your entire choice as to whether you go see a film or not on the basis of one film review. The other reviews I have read for Cowboys & Aliens have actually been overwhelmingly positive. I was meaning to give this film a shot anyway. It's actually Captain America I'm not in such a big rush to see.

Jabberwock xeno:
Hmm...

Bob, since you keep on mentioning jj Abrams, I'm wondering what you thought of cloverfield.

Perhaps a another question you could answer for the junk drawer?

In his Paranormal Activity review, he mentioned that he liked Cloverfield.

Just saw this. I definitely felt like it could have been better than it was. Just like super 8 its the epitome of "not bad".

When I first saw the trailer for this movie in theaters, everyone in the audience laughed when the title appeared. My dad said it was stupid, and my best friend thought the same, though my mom was interested in Harrison Ford being in it. I told them this movie was based on a comic book (apparently it was a graphic novel, my bad), and I told them, basically, that this could be a fun little movie. Cowboys fighting aliens. How awesome would that be?

I guess not so much.

marioman360:
Simply put: I don't care and I'm seeing it anyway.

Ditto. It's obvious this film is basically two cliches glued together, but personally I find it is because of this very mish-mash that I find interesting.

I had more fun at this movie than with any other action-oriented movie that's come out in 2011 so far. Captain America had some scenes that got me excited, but it bored me at times. I really enjoyed Hanna, but I don't think it was trying to be a "fun" movie.

So I disagree with Bob; while this movie isn't deep, and it has flaws, it's worth a watch.

Its a good thing I decided to watch Cars 2 instead of Cowboys and Aliens. Ever since I saw the trailer for Attach the Block I've wanted to see it very muchly.

General Vengeance:

canadamus_prime:
Ah, I might go see it anyway.

See this is why Hollywood continues to make crap, you "might go to see it anyway". If we continue to support movies with hype and no substance, then Hollywood won't learn anything.

Dull is the perfect word to discribe this movie thanks Movie Bob.

Well I might actually like the movie. I personally go watch movies that I'm interested in.

OT I'm still going to see it. Partly because Olivia Wilde is in it :D. But on a more serious note, I'm starting to doubt Moviebob's credibility. Captain America had no character development and it was good, whereas Cowboys and Aliens wasn't?? Also the whole "Captain America is the nicest guy ever" kinda annoys me. I personally don't think that those kind of characters are interesting. They are just annoying. Thats why I hate Superman(also the fact that he basically shoot lasers out of his ass).

I saw it, and I was underwhelmed. Granted I tend to agree with Movie Bob on a fair bit, and wasn't expecting to love it. Best thing about it was me and my friends whispering to each other the whole time. It didn't captivate me with the Cowboys, and the whole alien bit was... uninspiring. And it did not have nearly enough camp to pull the whole thing off.

James Crook:

Godavari:

She is naked in the movie Alpha Dog.

It was actually pretty good, guys, Bob is a CRITIC, so you can expect him to be CRITICAL at things. Again, its more or less decent film that is interesting to entertain, I reccomend seeing it and not taking Bob's every word into hand, just some of them. Again, its entertaining and is worth its admission, just don't be to critical with it.

I liked it. *sad panda*

I saw it the other day and I agree with Bob's assessment. It's not terrible, but it's also not as epic as it should have been. It's well acted, but the characters aren't terribly interesting, and I had similar issues with Harrison Ford's abrupt inexplicable changes of character flipping between being a big jerk and suddenly caring about people's feelings.

All in all, it was okay, though. I didn't feel like I wasted my money.

Must resist the urge to watch clips of Hey Dude on youtube. It can't have aged well.

Fun fact: a young Christine Taylor was in it.

I liked it. Not so sure why Bob disliked it so much.

I saw the film, loved it.

Also, if you want a review that says the complete opposite of what you say, check out Red Letter Media's Half in the Bag review. The said the film was exciting and traditional while the worst part of it is the title

I'm surprised the gaping plot holes weren't mentioned.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here