The Big Picture: Skin Game

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I find it hard to believe that there are still people who don't know how messed up PETA is. Nevertheless, thank you for doing this - maybe there's a few animal lovers out there that will now stop giving money to these idiots.

Anyone feel like fighting fire with fire?

Just thought I'd mock up a little counter propaganda....

isnt the animal called tanuki?

Rotting Corpse:
On top of all of the things you mentioned Bob, the worst part of PETA for me is the fact that they have openly supported, both financially and publicly, the Animal Liberation Front. It is an organization that was included in the United States Department of Homeland Security list of domestic terrorist threats. Look these guys up some time, they are some scary people.

yeah I was kinda of disapointed that he didn't bring up thier terrorist links as well

Wow.

I never was much of a fan of PeTA before, but those facts make me want to actively work against them. Then again, I think Bob is probably right: PeTA will go away if we ignore them. At least I hope so.

I was originally going to comment on PETA's stupid allegations that Mario is pro-fur.

Then I was going to laugh and ask them what they thought of Hearing-Aid Dogs, Drug Dogs, Cattle, or frankly all of the many ways we've used animals to improve our and their lives.

... Then Bob talked about some of PETA's actions, and then I lost all words.

Screw you, PETA.

It can't be stressed enough that PETA, at best, tacitly supports ALF and other known terrorist organizations and, at worst, funnels money and supplies to them.

In fact the only good thing I can see that they've done is prevent Hamas from using suicide donkeys. And it's debatable how involved they were in that.

I didn't know a few of those things. Mostly the part about the founder being a dog catcher who killed a lot of animals, the employees throwing dead animals in other people's dumpsters, and the one about them getting animals from pounds and killing them nearly instantly rather than looking for homes. Just goes to show how twisted they are. Damn, I really can't stand PETA. Thanks for enlightening me a little more Bob.

Now, 99% of the time, I don't even think about them. But I do have an opinion on them. Who actually supports them anyway? As I understand it, most other animal rights groups hate PETA.

In this internet age, I still find it hard to understand how so many people haven't figured out that PETA is an organization for scumbags, by scumbags.

I really liked this episode. This is what the big picture should be about more often.

I know it's been said before here but it bears repeating that PeTA funds known arsonists. Also one of the higher ups in PeTA depend on pig insulin to live despite PeTA being against all animal tested medication and animal derivatives especially. I can't find their exact stand on the matter but if you have diabetes PeTA usually thinks you should die, but you know if you pay enough money to PeTA then suddenly what they consider animal cruelty becomes ok.

Giest4life:

Towels:

[snip]

Anyways, let me ask you this: (and I'm sure I'm opening a dark door here...) Even if you cannot feel any empathy for animals or fellow humans, can you still deny how interaction with them in your life is necessary? If not, can you tell me that supporting their well-being ultimately serves your own existence?

It is empirically false that encouraging the well-being of each and every animal and person that I encounter will have a positive affect on my well-being. Do not the locusts also need to feed? Yet we poison them ruthlessly. Do not the roaches and the flies have a right to life? Yet we feel no remorse when we exterminate them. Your "empathy" only extends insofar your aesthetic, or your survival instinct allows it to.

I thought it went without saying, but I didn't mean every animal, just the ones we've domesticated. Most rational people just want the locus to stop eating their crops, not hunt them to extinction. I'm not arguing against Natural Law of Survival, I'm arguing that Empathy does exist, is quite useful, and is necessary. You can't compare a parasite to a symbiosis. (And even parasites have their roles.) You are applying extremes and absolutes to an ever-changing world in a state of constant flux.
(Now this might be a bit morbid if you're vegan:) Empathizing with livestock by encouraging healthy diets and providing safe shelters yields a better harvest. (Or if you are Vegan:) Empathizing with plants by tending to their individual soil needs and paying attention to how their leaves look also yields better harvest.

But, wait, there's more! The computer that I'm using, the snug sneakers that I'm waring, the warm jacket that I've on, and the roof above my house are all a product of someone else living a less privileged life than me. We have put up a facade of caring for the poor little sweatshop laborers. We take comfort that we are spiritually for the well-being of our fellow man, but we leave the decisions to our politicians and then blame them, along with the banks, for not getting more done for the horrible living conditions of people all around the world.

What are you talking about?! They are getting the fruits of their labors from the money you pay as a consumer! The Market Has Spoken! Capitalism is NEVER WRONG!

Ok, if we truly did just pass our guilt onto our politicians and only care about our own self interests, then we wouldn't form charities or petition groups that are designed solely to help someone other than yourself. These grassroots movements evolve into lobbyists, political movements, then into laws and so on...

Honestly, I'm not giving this argument the deep thought it truly needs because I just don't have time right now. No disrespect was ever intended, though. Cheers.

EDIT: Yeah, this isn't all that solid of an argument. Can someone else step in here and give Empathy the philosophical defense it deserves? No? Darn. You win this round, Nietzche...

Wait. Mario keeps Yoshi as a pet. ...does PETA want Nintendo to euthanize Yoshi?

...OHGOD NO YOSHI

This is one episode that I'm putting on my "come back to" list.

Good on you Bob, I actually didn't know a good deal of the things in this episode (Fucking 90%? I've seen slaughter houses that didn't kill 90% of it's animals in one year). I wonder how many people have quit supporting PeTa after learning some of this stuff.

I've drafted my email to them.

I know I'm being a bit counterproductive giving you the attention you want, you dirty cockrockets, but screw that. Knowing some clueless secretary or intern will have to squeeze two more seconds out of their day to delete this message makes it worth it.

Now, I know you're too busy waving your dicks around (yes, even the women, I know these things) to use that little bit of your brain that controls basic reasoning, but when there are actual credible organizations out there that are truly interested in helping animals (you know, the whole "preventing animal abuse" part of "preventing animal abuse"), what you're doing is wrong. Just. Wrong. Scamming kind of wrong. Bernie Madoff kind of wrong. You run your expensive ad campaigns and probably pay a few douchnozzles to look for any way to get more media attention while the SPCA and them all are actually doing something. And by doing something, I mean doing something positive. You are doing the opposite. You are far off in the negative direction on the plane of contributing.

So lay the fuck off or do something right.

Sincerely, I'm from the internet, and we are tired of this shit.

Well, I've sent my email.
All I did was ask a simple question, I hope somebody answers but I doubt it.

IN case anybody missed it:
http://www.peta.org/about/contact-peta/default.aspx

wow, i knew they killed more of the animals they recieved than typical pounds...and were kind of crazy but i did not know about some of those other allegations (bodies in other peoples dumpsters)

PETA have been persona non grata in my life for so long that I had no idea that they were slaughtering animals from animal shelters. The hypocrisy of this organization to attempt to destroy industries and the livelihoods of hard-working people while secretly performing the same action they condemn is astounding. They are full of bluster about the seal slaughter, but surprisingly silent about the kitten slaughter.

Keep up the good work Bob.

You didn't touch on their Links to the Earth Liberation Front, a group the FBI and Homeland Security calls "The greatest domestic terrorist threat" in the US.

what does peta stand for? please euthanize the animals

Towels:
Snip

Ok, this is genuinely funny, because as it so happens, Nietzsche did say something identical along those lines! I can't find it online because it's not one of his more famous quotes, but I know I read it somewhere, probably in the latter half of the Book IV of The Gay Science. Also, you can keep your God, or gods, the point of the quote was not to bash theists, but to show how deeply the very semantics of our language affect us.

Ok, if we truly did just pass our guilt onto our politicians and only care about our own self interests, then we wouldn't form charities or petition groups that are designed solely to help someone other than yourself. These grassroots movements evolve into lobbyists, political movements, then into laws and so on...

Honestly, I'm not giving this argument the deep thought it truly needs because I just don't have time right now. No disrespect was ever intended, though. Cheers.

EDIT: Yeah, this isn't all that solid of an argument. Can someone else step in here and give Empathy the philosophical defense it deserves? No? Darn. You win this round, Nietzche...

Fair enough. Although, for full disclosure, neither Nietzsche nor am I advocating apathy. Nietzsche devoted entire sections of the Gay Science, and pretty much all of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, to the things that deserve your empathy. The lack of empathy that I've mentioned in this thread is within a very specific context. My complete and utter disinterest towards the pain of animals (and man) only extends as long as they are viewed in a society. Ugh! It's a difficult concept to put across in a few paragraphs, and on an Internet forum. Unless you explicitly ask me, I will not elaborate on it.

What are you talking about?! They are getting the fruits of their labors from the money you pay as a consumer! The Market Has Spoken! Capitalism is NEVER WRONG!

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic here, or not. But just in case: I always thought it was common knowledge that sweatshop labor was virtual slavery, and in some cases, actual slavery. So, no, the workers are actually not getting paid for their services, and they are not free to move about and seek another employment.

I thought it went without saying, but I didn't mean every animal, just the ones we've domesticated. Most rational people just want the locus to stop eating their crops, not hunt them to extinction. I'm not arguing against Natural Law of Survival, I'm arguing that Empathy does exist, is quite useful, and is necessary. You can't compare a parasite to a symbiosis. (And even parasites have their roles.) You are applying extremes and absolutes to an ever-changing world in a state of constant flux.
(Now this might be a bit morbid if you're vegan:) Empathizing with livestock by encouraging healthy diets and providing safe shelters yields a better harvest. (Or if you are Vegan:) Empathizing with plants by tending to their individual soil needs and paying attention to how their leaves look also yields better harvest.

Yes, you are absolutely correction, I did provide the most extreme examples I could find. But, if you notice, I provided them to show that your "empathy" only extends as far as your aesthetic sense (when things are cute and fluffy), or to your survival instinct (when you need to raise livestock and etc). So, ask yourself this, are you sincere in your empathy if you can only find it in your heart to empathize with Life that looks beautiful and with Life that you need to survive?

Animal welfare: something I can support. Under this umbrella is killing animals that are going to slaughter quick and painlessly (Last I saw they shock them before killing them, still pretty gruesome but painless) and prosecuting those who abuse animals for some sick gain.
Animal rights: Kinda stupid and pointless. What I understand, animal rights is trying to give animals the same rights as humans.

Now THAT was a good article. Bravo sir Bravo... best Big Picture to date.

Known about the 90% stat for a while.

Like I've always said - I'm for animal welfare. That's why I despise PETA.

PETA; People Exterminating Trained Animals.

Since they want to do away with pets in general, and taking in to consideration "Crimes against Animals", would that not constitute genocide? This would make PETA's boss the new Hitler.

You forgot to mention how Peta's second in command (I forgot her name, look it up if you care) uses insulin, the sugar processing drug/enzyme thing. The very same that Peta hates, because it comes from animals.

Penn and Teller did an episode on this. Pretty good episode too.

Well damn. I've heard of PETA before, and thought : hey, they fight against animal cruel or something like that, right? I mean, i guess they're nice and all.
When i heard about them doing this (the game), i was a bit confused and didn't like that they were exaggerating it. And now this. Not cool, not cool at all.

Phlakes:
I've drafted my email to them.

That email was awesome. Makes me think i should send something their way, too.
But i wonder, is PETA a USA-only organization, or has it spread into the EU too? Haven't really seen much of them where i live, so that's why I'm wondering. Tho i am living in quite a small country and all.

The hilarity of this video is that PeTA openly stated the Mario thing was an attention grabbing joke. Guessed you missed that one ay Bob?

*applauds*

I honestly don't give a flying shit. Wear fur and leather is no different from eat meat. Or do you really believe that the pig survives the bacon extraction?

Masterful rebuttal, better than most of your soapboxes. I didn't know any of this about PETA, just that they were the most radical of the animal-rights groups out there. I will probably formulate an email to that address you gave eventually after I think of a few constructive things to say beyond '**** you'.

Their title is misleading- they sound more like an ultra-extreme form of population control for animals. And while that has been a growing problem for a while due to a reluctance to neuter, when one such stray is taken from a shelter and given a long, fulfilling life instead of the euthanasia they endorse, no one can realistically say it's a bad thing.

Also, if you're going to euthanize cows/leather giving animals, well... may as well make some use of the body correct? It's not like they're alive for the extraction.

Completely correct- this isn't about Mario or Tanookis at all, but grabbing attention at any cost. Tactics right up there with a certain disbarred lawyer I shall not deign to mention by name, lest he appear and stab my eyes out.

I will support Peta, only if they exterminate the entire chihuahua race of dogs.

Also, Everyone are wearing cotton and eating veggies and fruits once in a while, well I got news for you: plants live too you know!

scroll down to point #7 on this article and you will understand: http://www.cracked.com/article_19456_8-things-you-wont-believe-plants-do-when-no-ones-looking.html

lol, j/k

On a serious note: I support Animal Welfare, but not rights. The animals aren't intelligent, what the hell are they supposed to do with rights? vote? Come on now!

Giest4life:
I do not believe that there is any such thing as "rights"; the concept of "rights" is a social construct that is fully contingent on the time and place that they exist in.

Why is that a reason to ignore them?

To be honest, I think you're trying a bit too hard with the cynicism thing.

mlooshka:
I find it hard to believe that there are still people who don't know how messed up PETA is. Nevertheless, thank you for doing this - maybe there's a few animal lovers out there that will now stop giving money to these idiots.

For the most part I think most people already go about ignoring PETA until they do something outrageously stupid, like villainizing Mario. And then they typically go back to ignoring PETA again.

I really appreciate Bob for making this video. I never cared enough about PETA to realize the magnitude of their d-baggery.

triggrhappy94:
You forgot to mention how Peta's second in command (I forgot her name, look it up if you care) uses insulin, the sugar processing drug/enzyme thing. The very same that Peta hates, because it comes from animals.

Penn and Teller did an episode on this. Pretty good episode too.

Was just gona post that vid. Warning about the mature words used tho.Also if your a big donator to peta for years it may come as a shock.Few friends wifes were big suporters an just couldnt belive peta is not for the greater good. Many feathers were ruffled after watching.

This is not even the 1st time peta has gona after games.THey went after wow few years ago for some virtual animal abuse.Belive back in the day they went after everquest to becasue you use animal skins in game for trade skills.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here