Jimquisition: The Best Looking Game of This Generation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I reject your Viva Pinata & substitute my Ravenskye City.

Andy Shandy:
See, I was going to agree with you 100% on Viva Pinata, but now there's other examples like Rayman Origins, Just Cause 2 and Mirror's Edge amongst others that have been suggested and I just can't choose.

I do agree the Wind Waker is the best looking game of last gen though. And I vaguely remember people doubting the graphics of it when it came out. Fools!

And now I want to play Wind Waker, which I don't have any more. I am sad now. And I want a new Sonic Generations, Mirror's Edge and Viva Pinata. A man can dream, can't he?

Better than having Wind Waker but not being able to finish it because Gamecube memory cards corrupt after so many years =(

I'm in concurrence, though, Wind Waker was incredible in many ways, and it's easily in my top 5 favorite games of all time. Though I may be a little biased.

Woah, that ending turned me off.
Really? a Lucas joke?, how....un-Jim.
*seeing his gloves*

It's Imposter Jim!

A game which I recomend graphically for the same reasons that Jim praises Viva Pinata is Kameo: Elements of power (which funnily enough was also made by Rare)

well said jim. This is why Kingdom Hearts looks so amazing to me still

Lol! Jim is so full of shit. This point has been made 1000s of times over the years, jim aping it now isn't going to get him any cookie points. And his content is silly as well. All i heard was some rambling about bright colors & cell shaded animations. All the bright colors in the world won't make your game pretty if your character models are poo poo. There is a lot more to the subjects of game aesthetics than bright colors. a lot more. Yet when deciding the best looking of this generation, all we hear is some clique rambling about bright colors.

Gotta say this is one of my favorite vids of yours. Can't agree more.

amazing, you managed to discuss a topic which has been discussed at extraordinary length in the games industry from many perspectives and do it completely sub-par when compared to any talk.

I could take viva pinata, change the textures and shaders so it is rendered entirely in greyscale and the graphics would be pretty much identical because i would have modified the aesthetics, not the graphics.

Poor Ratchet & Clank, never gets any credit when it comes to articles like these. I still love you, Ratchet & Clank.

I've always preferred stylized graphics over those that try to be photo-realistic, and this is probably the biggest reason.

Okami and Zelda: Wind Waker still look great by current standards, and they will still look great years and years from now.

I can understand why some people subjectively dislike "cartoony" aesthetics, but objectively speaking, realistic aesthetics age so fast it's almost disorienting.

H31neken:
What about The Witcher 2?

witcher 2 is a PC game,

American people like Jim Sterling plays xbox games.

he mentions gears of war, killzone and uncharted first and foremost. because american gamers are exposed to those console games each day, and don't know and even care PC games.

Witcher 2? bah! it is a PC game and holy american gamers should not even consider it...

(btw, my favorite looking game: bastion)

*deleted*

dantoddd:
Lol! Jim is so full of shit. This point has been made 1000s of times over the years, jim aping it now isn't going to get him any cookie points. And his content is silly as well. All i heard was some rambling about bright colors & cell shaded animations. All the bright colors in the world won't make your game pretty if your character models are poo poo. There is a lot more to the subjects of game aesthetics than bright colors. a lot more. Yet when deciding the best looking of this generation, all we hear is some clique rambling about bright colors.

Just play Okami or Shadow of the Colossus.
PS2 games that looks better than most games today.

Denamic:

dantoddd:

Neither of those games belong to this generation. Shadow of the colossus illustrates my point. All ICO games have a very subdued palette, yet they all all look beautiful. So Jim's clearly missing something here.

dantoddd:

Denamic:

dantoddd:

Neither of those games belong to this generation. Shadow of the colossus illustrates my point. All ICO games have a very subdued palette, yet they all all look beautiful. So Jim's clearly missing something here.

What abooooooot dark souls
I liked the ash lake area the best

Art style over graphics, it's been said before

I'd have to disagree. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations as well as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow had very vibrant and diverse color pallets while still striving for realistic graphics. Those would be among the best looking games in my opinion.

I agree 100 fucking percent.

I live in a beautiful part of the world, near Snowdonia in Wales so I see the need for realism pointless. When I play a video game, I want to play somewhere else. If I wanted to see rolling hills/epic mountains/city environments/shitholes I'd just walk out of my house. That is why games like Windwaker and Patapon I <3 <3 <3
That's probably why Nintendo is so successful because their games look visually good.

I am always sorrowful when games I used to love when I was young, I'd come back to and hate them due to their aesthetics.

Okami HD looks fucking stellar too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or