The Best and Worst of Magic 2013

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Souplex:
]But Urza made no equipment.
Equipments are the best artifacts.
*Snuggles Argentum Armor and set of Swords of X/Y*

Ahem - Caltrops, Cathodion, Chimeric Staff, Citanul Flute, Crawlspace, Crystal Chimes, Defense Grid, Iron Maiden, Jhoira's Toolbox, Junk Diver, Karn, Lifeline, Lotus Blossom, Metalworker, Mishra's Helix, Quicksilver Amulet, Thran Dynamo, Thran Golen, Thran Lens, Thran Turbine, Urza's Incubator, Voltaic Key, Wheel of Torture, Whetstone, and Worn Powerstone.

Not saying Equipments are bad, but they aren't the best artifacts (in my opinion at least).

jimbob123432:
There used to be other words here.

Back in the ol' days when Wizards either didn't know what they where doing or only had a tenuous grasp of designing things and they severely over valued creatures and under valued spells which lead to broken spells and poor creature quality. Now as time has gone on they've toned down the power of spells and made creatures better it's not power creep just a paradigm shift in the game.

And infect was no where near breaking the game. Infect only has a small handful of efficiently costed creatures spread across all five colors and all of the ones that are even remotely playable are extremely fragile meaning most decks that play against them are going to gain tempo advantage by trading their one drop for infects three drop.

*sigh*

I don't like Core that much. There's nothing I need and I have to put up with people moaning that there's nothing good or interesting or etc. and I have to remind them 'Because it's Core'. I know we have to obviously keep up with it because rotation and stuff, and there are some interesting cards, but I can't get excited because it's just Core.

RTR on the other hand...has anyone seen the new images? Shit looks intense!

fanklok:

jimbob123432:

Back in the ol' days when Wizards either didn't know what they where doing or only had a tenuous grasp of designing things and they severely over valued creatures and under valued spells which lead to broken spells and poor creature quality. Now as time has gone on they've toned down the power of spells and made creatures better it's not power creep just a paradigm shift in the game.

And infect was no where near breaking the game. Infect only has a small handful of efficiently costed creatures spread across all five colors and all of the ones that are even remotely playable are extremely fragile meaning most decks that play against them are going to gain tempo advantage by trading their one drop for infects three drop.

Could you kindly explain how Grafted Exoskeleton didn't break the game? Or Skithryx, the Blight Dragon? How about the fact that there is no way to get rid of poison counters except by using a card from Homelands ? Infect makes the game unplayable because it's just not fun unless you're running a specific counter-Infect deck, and as a casual player, I don't want to be forced into a position where I can't play more than 3 turns because someone else is playing Infect.

jimbob123432:

fanklok:

jimbob123432:

Could you kindly explain how Grafted Exoskeleton didn't break the game? Or Skithryx, the Blight Dragon? How about the fact that there is no way to get rid of poison counters except by using a card from Homelands ? Infect makes the game unplayable because it's just not fun unless you're running a specific counter-Infect deck, and as a casual player, I don't want to be forced into a position where I can't play more than 3 turns because someone else is playing Infect.

Because Grafted Exoskeleton is a four cost equipment with a severe drawback that doesn't immediately affect the board when it's played, it's just an expensive two for one. Skithiryx didn't pass the Dismember test and at that point in the game the infect creatures are going to be easily out classed by the noninfect that Skythiryx has to win the game the turn it's played or run as defense. Leeches is bad for the same reason Pulse of the Fields is bad, they don't actually do anything. If you look at competitive decks across any format you'll notice a lack of life gain unless it comes attached to cards that actually win like Batterskull or Scavenging Ooze.

All I can say about you losing in three turns is learn to build better decks, casual doesn't mean underpowered it means uncompetitive.

fanklok:

Because Grafted Exoskeleton is a four cost equipment with a severe drawback that doesn't immediately affect the board when it's played, it's just an expensive two for one. Skithiryx didn't pass the Dismember test and at that point in the game the infect creatures are going to be easily out classed by the noninfect that Skythiryx has to win the game the turn it's played or run as defense. Leeches is bad for the same reason Pulse of the Fields is bad, they don't actually do anything. If you look at competitive decks across any format you'll notice a lack of life gain unless it comes attached to cards that actually win like Batterskull or Scavenging Ooze.

All I can say about you losing in three turns is learn to build better decks, casual doesn't mean underpowered it means uncompetitive.

I resent the fact that you think I have terrible decks because they get killed in 3 turns by Infect decks. My decks can hold their own against other Standard tournament decks. I'm not saying it's because I lose that I'm pissed off about Infect, it's how I lose. It's so infuriating to not be able to even attempt to recover after you've been knocked down. With Leeches at least, it is possible to get back up (my best friend's lifegain deck produces around 40 life a turn when it gets going, so 9 life is nothing). Poison counters were designed to be a very rare alternate win condition, not the main one. Rather than just repeat myself ad nauseum, I invite you to read my more fully-explained opinion here. That's not a shameless plug for my site either; I just don't want to repeat myself if I don't need to.

Draconalis:
Someone above mentioned that the new lands should be Land - color/color comes into play tapped.

I can actually get behind that if they count as basic land types. Basic Land - C/C Comes into play Tapped seems fairly reasonable to me.

You can fetch for them with plenty of effects, and it still sets you back a turn if you play them from hand... so it seems kind balanced for standard.

Anyone disagree?

You do realize the problem with this, don't you? The rules of the game limit you to four of any card in your deck with the exception of basic lands. If you give these hypotheical dual lands the "Basic" type, not only can you fetch them with a number of effects, but you could build an entire landbase of nothing but duals. Not only would this be grossly overpowered, but it would also multiply the demand for those lands so much that the price would skyrocket. The conseuqences are many and varied; and none of them good.

No, the only "Basic" lands Magic will have are the standard five and their snow-covered variants, with the remote possibility of some future variation similar to snow covered lands. Basic duals would just be far too powerful.

Blackbird71:

You do realize the problem with this, don't you? The rules of the game limit you to four of any card in your deck with the exception of basic lands.

I didn't until my friend pointed it out to me last night. I was thinking the old school no downside dual lands were considered basic swamp/mountain, rather than non basic swamp/mountain. I only found out last night I was wrong.

jimbob123432:

fanklok:

jimbob123432:

Who the fuck uses Grafted Exoskeleton?

Infect is normally an Aggro deck, which means that if you go against it you side in your anti-aggro tech, maybe some artifact removal for Livewire Lash/Lashwrithe. If it's mono-black, it's usually a more controlling deck so you seriously have to work around the control, but in general it's just a strong deck. Infect's not that broken, otherwise Delver wouldn't be topping the meta right now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here