Escape to the Movies: Alex Cross

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Alex Cross

MovieBob takes us into the mind of a poorly cast detective and the poorly acted serial killer he's hunting.

Watch Video

Even when playing a dude, Tyler Perry still manages to make his films feel like a...

*puts on sunglasses*

...drag.

You're right, Iron Man does look more yellow now.

Okay, is Tyler Perry success some specifically amerian thing? Because i'm european and i don't think his movies are even shown here, where i live. I wouldn't even have heard of him, if some critics didn't mention him now and then.

Oh and another thing: Speed Racer was actually a really fun movie. Just something i wanted to mention.

realistically Tyler Perry is not so much noted for the kind of movies that he makes, but the lack of white washing that comes about his movies. basically he can be called a "dark director" and they are not talking about the context of the movie for once.

on the thing about He-man vs Skeletor on the IPhone. don't worry you might have to wait a few months, but there should be a Android version.

*My only thought after watching this*

Tyler Perry was in an action movie? Where did this come from all of a sudden?

PsychedelicDiamond:
Okay, is Tyler Perry success some specifically amerian thing? Because i'm european and i don't think his movies are even shown here, where i live. I wouldn't even have heard of him, if some critics didn't mention him now and then.

Tyler Perry is one of the most prominent actors in the (what I like to call) "Left Side of the Bell Curve" movie industry. He makes comedies. Comedies where something stupid happens and then something even more stupid happens, and then you laugh because something stupid happened.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Okay, is Tyler Perry success some specifically amerian thing?

Probably. I wouldn't have known about his (or his movies', for that matter) existence if it wasn't for critics like MovieBob mentioning him, either.

"I can't believe that someone who plays women for a living seems not to know anything about them."

Really? He plays a caricature of an old black grandma that was out of date, stereotypical, and offensive back when Eddie Murphy was still funny. He doesn't play a woman, he plays an absurd but yet vastly overdone joke that I'm sure even Tyler Perry is sick of by now.

However, I do wonder whether the universal panning of this movie has something to do with the fact that he's most known for that role. It's hard to look at the guy and see a serious action hero. But maybe if Hollywood actually hired some of the good black actors that are forced to play in his movies or play in nothing, he wouldn't have so much sway in the industry. Giving someone an Oscar for playing a stereotype in a mildly racist movie is nice, but I'm sure they would feel better about serious roles.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Okay, is Tyler Perry success some specifically amerian thing?

It's not even universally 'murican. I've never heard of the man or any of his movies.

gardian06:
on the thing about He-man vs Skeletor on the IPhone. don't worry you might have to wait a few months, but there should be a Android version.

---

I hadn't actually heard of this one but it does sound like the kind of thing that would have been a perfect storm of terrible. Good to know I can save my money on that one! Hey, Iron Man is looking a bit yellow.

1 app is going to convince you to purchase a iphone...?

Obligatory south park clip of tyler perry...

So Bob wants to see something with a black actor with s powerful presence doing some Sherlock style detective stuff. Is it me or is he just describing Luther with Idris Elba

It is disappointing, although probably not too surprising, that this movie is a clinker. Perhaps Perry has the money and clout to go for a do over? I agree with Bob in that Perry "could" be a good choice for this character, if placed in the right kind of movie. More slueth-y and less action-y.

He was really not good in Lost. Maybe he had the misfortune of being written as the most awful generic male lead ever, but he didn't do one thing to elevate it an iota. Kate should have been the lead and his presence should have been obliterated entirely

coogs42:
So Bob wants to see something with a black actor with s powerful presence doing some Sherlock style detective stuff. Is it me or is he just describing Luther with Idris Elba

I was just about to suggest the same thing when my eyes flicked up =D Such a class series, it's a shame so many people didn't like it. No furniture was safe when Luther was around

BrotherRool:
He was really not good in Lost. Maybe he had the misfortune of being written as the most awful generic male lead ever, but he didn't do one thing to elevate it an iota. Kate should have been the lead and his presence should have been obliterated entirely

God no, Kate was dull as fuck. The only character I felt total apathy for. (Desmond FTW.) I've always thought Fox was great on Lost.

Eh as far as Iron Man goes, changing colors around and the suits design is kinda par for the course. To be sure the suit always keeps its same basic idea of high-tech knight armor and the colors are always red and yellow(or gold in the case of the movies). This does allow for each artist who comes along to have their own interpretation of it without breaking it in any meaningful way. This also means that if a certain design doesn't work it can just get trashed in a fight and replaced in moment of a building montage. Tony has already gone through what? six suits in 3 movies? Not a problem if more yellow ends up being a little ugly.

Wait... Moviebob reads Alex Cross? Does he read Maximum Ride as well? That would be so cool...

Funny, I was at the doctor's office this morning and the morning news people had someone on talking about Alex Cross(forgot who, it was early morning and I was tired), and they were raving about it. But hey, that's morning news shows for you.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Oh and another thing: Speed Racer was actually a really fun movie. Just something i wanted to mention.

Agreed. I wonder if MovieBob liked that film or not. I have a feeling he wouldn't have given it the scathing review other critics have. Granted, I probably loved the film due to sheer nostalgia-blindness.

Kurt Cristal:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Agreed. I wonder if MovieBob liked that film or not. I have a feeling he wouldn't have given it the scathing review other critics have. Granted, I probably loved the film due to sheer nostalgia-blindness.

That didn't matter for me. I wasn't familiar with the cartoon it's based on... i'm a bit too young for that, i guess. But i love the movie. While there were some parts that were obviously more targeted to kids than to adults some other stuff worked pretty well for both. And i have a feeling Bob rather likes it... i mean, it's almost like an adaption of Mario Kart.

Woodsey:

BrotherRool:

God no, Kate was dull as fuck. The only character I felt total apathy for. (Desmond FTW.) I've always thought Fox was great on Lost.

I heard he gets less terribly generic on later seasons, I don't know I didn't like Lost really so didn't stick around but at the start Jack was the most bland piece of rubbish in the industry. He representing everything that is bad about TV, literally in this case. It's not just that his character was the boring safe straight white male of the appropriate age with the love interest and the heroic qualities for the audience to sympathise with, but he was actually factually manufactured to be like that. Apparently the original plan didn't have him in at all and had Kate as lead but the execs were worried that having a female lead wouldn't cut it and asked for a more traditional lead to be written in as audience protagonist.

There were signs of him getting better by the time I left, when they stopped playing him as the the Heroic American Everyman and started twisting those qualities to stop being points we were meant to admire and praise him for, but a sign of his dangerous need to be in control of every situation, it got better. And to be fair, it's not really right of me to base Fox's acting abilities off it. When he was being directed to be as generic and blank as possible, well he achieved what he was asked to do, he was just asked to do rubbish.

To be fair I wasn't a huge Kate fan. The cast were good in inverse proportion to how close to the lead they were. Even Sawyer, 3rd from lead and => most interesting of all the 3 mains had his good character stuff spoiled by his proximity to the bog standard paint by numbers love triangle

Wasn't the main character in the most recent Bourne called "Alex Cross" ?

Ashoten:
Eh as far as Iron Man goes, changing colors around and the suits design is kinda par for the course. To be sure the suit always keeps its same basic idea of high-tech knight armor and the colors are always red and yellow(or gold in the case of the movies). This does allow for each artist who comes along to have their own interpretation of it without breaking it in any meaningful way. This also means that if a certain design doesn't work it can just get trashed in a fight and replaced in moment of a building montage. Tony has already gone through what? six suits in 3 movies? Not a problem if more yellow ends up being a little ugly.

Isn't that Iron Patriot (or rather Coldblood as Iron Patriot)? He's gotta be in red, white and blue, maybe that yellow is the explosions reflecting off the white?

burymagnets:

Ashoten:

Isn't that Iron Patriot (or rather Coldblood as Iron Patriot)? He's gotta be in red, white and blue, maybe that yellow is the explosions reflecting off the white?

O I didn't get that good a look at the picture Bob used. Just the comment about it being more yellow. Yeah it could just be white that looks yellow in the explosion. I forgot Iron Patriot was gonna be in the next movie.

To be fair, I'd totally watch a cop show featuring a large teddy bear.

That aside, I inexplicably like Tyler Perry myself, but this doesn't look like a great idea. Sad to see it didn't pan out better.

Mark B:

Aaron Cross...thought the same thing though. Both are generic "cool" names..

To be honest, was hoping that this film would be good an it would get Perry out of those stupid comedies.

A for the casting...It's like they couldn't afford Idris Elba so they settled for Perry.

Yeah...I'm just gonna go ahead and see Seven Psychopaths. If nothing else, it's a rated R comedy with Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken and boobs. Even if it's kinda bad, there's no way that is a waste of time.

Edit: Wow. I was wrong, there actually is a way to make that premise a waste of time. It wants to be all things to all people, but most importantly it's a genre deconstruction about writer's block. The problem with movies about writer's block is that they're all the same: the main character is a writer (playing the actual screenwriter) runs into the characters he or she is trying to write about, they take over the writer's life and eventually they make the most genre-appropriate version of whatever movie/book/poem they're trying to make. And the climax of the movie is ultimately not whatever happens onscreen, but the real life screenwriter successfully selling yet another iteration of this movie to the studio.

The Muse is a similar example of this problem, but for the love of God don't see it because that movie is terrible.

Ashoten:

They're changing it because of the plot. He's using the Extremis Virus now, which in the comics caused a gold exoskeleton of sorts to coat his body and the suit to become fused with him. He blurred the line between Tony Stark and Iron Man and essentially both became the same.

The suit the extremis virus worked best with just happened to use more gold plating. Odds are he'll use another one in the process too.

MovieBob:
Alex Cross

MovieBob takes us into the mind of a poorly cast detective and the poorly acted serial killer he's hunting.

Watch Video

If you really want that game, just get an Android. Sooner or later, they will port it unless they have a iron clad Apple exclusivity contract (and I highly doubt they do). Don't buy into the Apple machine, it is just terrible.

Has this guy BEEN to the D? All of our psychotic serial killers left for greener pastures or got knocked off by the drug dealers.

Mr_Terrific:

Mark B:

Aaron Cross...thought the same thing though. Both are generic "cool" names..

It sounds like one of those generic Anglo-Saxon manly names, like Alec Mason, Dirk Action, or John Fist.

Is it sad that I was kind of rooting for this movie just so they could film more movies in Detroit?

At first, I was wondering why Bob reviewed this movie. Then I heard it was a Tyler Perry movie... Oh my... And here I thought Bob would be more pissed this this, considering what he thinks of Tyler Perry...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here