The Big Picture: Original Geek Girl

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Hannes Martinsson:
The thing people arguing for "fake geek girl" is missing is that the only real problem with the phrase is the girl part. Fake Geeks aka Poseurs exists, yes. This can be annoying, problem is to much of a stretch for me. The problem is that the "Fake Geek Girl" targets only the women.

Now to what I really want to answer.

Anoni Mus:
Naruto ain't shit.

More enjoyable than Spirit Away or Howl's Moving Castle...

What a nonsense statement. Naruto is aimed at teenage boys (I guess you at least where this when you started watching) while Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Sipirited Away) and Howl no Ugoku Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle) are aimed at kids. That you don't like something not aimed at you means nothing. I happen to have a strong connection to my inner child and therefor can watch children's entertainment and enjoy it, but that is not the standard.

Naruto is still pure tripe story wise, character wise and pacing wise. Go watch Koukaku Kidoutai Stand Alone Complex (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex). It does all three of those things properly. Or if you just really like fighting watch one of the original fighting animes like Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star).

Or you could join the adult crowd and watch some of the more mind blowing stuff out there, some of my favorites are:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena): Sure it's technically for girls but it is some of the deepest stuff ever made.
Serial Experiments Lain: If you are a geek you should watch this, even if you don't like anime watch this.
Neo Genesis Evangelion: If you have not watched this you can not technically call your self a anime geek.

And those three are just my personal favorites, there is a lot of great stuff out there. There are some truly mind blowing anime out there and you are sitting there saying something with no depth is great.

Relax, I just said that because I don't like Naruto hating, it's actually enjoyable if you exclude the fillers and before Shippuden (shippuden as too much ups and downs). What bothers me is that Naruto despite its flaws is much better than Bleach, and not better than One Piece but more enjoyable because OP pacing is absolutely terrible and watching it weekly is annoying. Despite this Naruto bashing is much more common than the others. Just mentioning shounens of course.

Compared to myiazaki because I find his works overrated :P

I do know a lot about anime, got a long list, but it's still interesting I haven't watched those you mentioned. Ghost in the Shell doesn't look like my type of anime, my brother downloaded it, but it was in English dub and I just watch sub, so I never watched it and never felt like downloading in japanese. Never watched EVA because I hate mechas (only exception so far was code geass). Did watch 3 or 4 episodes of lain, wasn't bad but it wasn't addicting so I started postponing and never finished it.

Anoni Mus:

Hannes Martinsson:

Anoni Mus:
Naruto ain't shit.

More enjoyable than Spirit Away or Howl's Moving Castle...

What a nonsense statement. Naruto is aimed at teenage boys (I guess you at least where this when you started watching) while Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Sipirited Away) and Howl no Ugoku Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle) are aimed at kids. That you don't like something not aimed at you means nothing. I happen to have a strong connection to my inner child and therefor can watch children's entertainment and enjoy it, but that is not the standard.

Naruto is still pure tripe story wise, character wise and pacing wise. Go watch Koukaku Kidoutai Stand Alone Complex (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex). It does all three of those things properly. Or if you just really like fighting watch one of the original fighting animes like Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star).

Or you could join the adult crowd and watch some of the more mind blowing stuff out there, some of my favorites are:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena): Sure it's technically for girls but it is some of the deepest stuff ever made.
Serial Experiments Lain: If you are a geek you should watch this, even if you don't like anime watch this.
Neo Genesis Evangelion: If you have not watched this you can not technically call your self a anime geek.

And those three are just my personal favorites, there is a lot of great stuff out there. There are some truly mind blowing anime out there and you are sitting there saying something with no depth is great.

Relax, I just said that because I don't like Naruto hating, it's actually enjoyable if you exclude the fillers and before Shippuden (shippuden as too much ups and downs). What bothers me is that Naruto despite its flaws is much better than Bleach, and not better than One Piece but more enjoyable because OP pacing is absolutely terrible and watching it weekly is annoying. Despite this Naruto bashing is much more common than the others. Just mentioning shounens of course.

I do know a lot about anime, got a long list, but it's still interesting I haven't watched those you mentioned. Ghost in the Shell doesn't look like my type of anime, my brother downloaded it, but it was in English dub and I just watch sub, so I never watched it and never felt like downloading in japanese. Never watched EVA because I hate mechas (only exception so far was code geass). Did watch 3 or 4 episodes of lain, wasn't bad but it wasn't addicting so I started postponing and never finished it.

*Relaxing* I don't know your tastes but I'd say you should give Eva a shot. Just like Code Geass the Mechas are just there to fool the people paying the checks. In Evas case the only way it would get made was if it had mechas so they could make toys to sell. It is really a show about one kid and his serious emotional problems and how he is slowly forced to deal with them (or more exactly it's a very complex author insert so the author can try and deal with his own emotional problems). I like introspective stuff like that.

I still got a problem with Naruto, mostly because it's b grade stuff and some people treat it as the BEST THING EVA! If not for those certain people I would just ignore it like so much other stuff I don't like. More specifically I don't like the creators clear view of women as worthless in any real situation. I dislike when a group of people are treated with a lopsided bad perspective like that. It's something I can overreact on badly.

Sorry to interrupt found the answer in the first two comments moving along...

Hannes Martinsson:

Anoni Mus:

Hannes Martinsson:

*Relaxing* I don't know your tastes but I'd say you should give Eva a shot. Just like Code Geass the Mechas are just there to fool the people paying the checks. In Evas case the only way it would get made was if it had mechas so they could make toys to sell. It is really a show about one kid and his serious emotional problems and how he is slowly forced to deal with them (or more exactly it's a very complex author insert so the author can try and deal with his own emotional problems). I like introspective stuff like that.

I still got a problem with Naruto, mostly because it's b grade stuff and some people treat it as the BEST THING EVA! If not for those certain people I would just ignore it like so much other stuff I don't like. More specifically I don't like the creators clear view of women as worthless in any real situation. I dislike when a group of people are treated with a lopsided bad perspective like that. It's something I can overreact on badly.

B grade is better than C, D or E :D
Downgrading female roles is common in shounens made by males (or practically any media made by males), but even there you can find some good roles, but yeah, Naruto is the worst in that aspect.

Well, in one of my country anime forums I am at, a lot of users hates EVA, so they kinda put me off.

Ok, so, here's what I want to know, in regards to "fake" geeks/nerds/obsessive introverts:

What makes a REAL nerd? What converts you from poser to actual thing? People keep mentioning how they'd love to be talking to a lady-nerd-type, but that lady-nerd-type winds up being fake when they don't know "enough" about a topic they're supposed to be familiar with. Like, for example, if I was cosplaying as Kayle from League of Legends, but didn't know a damn thing about how to best play her as solo top on Summoner's Rift (I can tell you how I'd play her solo bottom on Dominion--in fact, I'd love to talk someone's ear off about Dominion, but it doesn't have a ranked mode, so it doesn't count as real), would I be a fake? What if I don't even play ranked? Do I still get to be a League of Legends fan, or should I stop participating in the community (i.e. cosplaying, in this case) because I'm a dirty poser?

I get not liking someone who's there without knowledge and who doesn't want to learn, that's silly. But I don't get not liking someone who's there, but just doesn't know as much as you. Want to scare someone away from an activity? Tell them they need to study that activity, because they will be endlessly berated for not passing a test. They can't know what's on the test, they'll just need to study the material until they know everything about it. And, if this activity relates to another activity, tell them they need to know everything about that activity, too, or they will be endlessly berated for not knowing enough to be in the overarching "activity culture" (and liking a random activity that's part of a larger culture means you're trying to assimilate into that larger culture and therefore should know everything about everything ever. Of all time).

Anoni Mus:

You have a Che Guevara avatar. Frankly I'm amazed that anyone bothered to respond to your bait, when you've already undermined anything you could possibly have said by having one of those.

Comics are seriously WIERD!

Seriously, I was watching this whole episode with a WTF look in my face.

Paradoxrifts:

Anoni Mus:

You have a Che Guevara avatar. Frankly I'm amazed that anyone bothered to respond to your bait, when you've already undermined anything you could possibly have said by having one of those.

I like him. And yes, I studied him.
Are you one of the guys who compares him to hitler, tell me, because if that's the case i'll add you to ignore List, something maybe you should have done to me.

Sigh... why do I have to wait Bob? Why? 2 part-ers are ever the double-edged sword.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a lot of good discussion going on here about the "geek girl" phenomenon, but I don't have time to read through it, so I'm just going to throw in my two cents. Gamers and comic/fantasy enthusiasts have traditionally had a hard time melding into society. By establishing a general culture and being able to come together via the internet, conventions, etc., they (or, we, rather) are better able to maintain a sense of self worth, dignity, and validation. The fake nerd is offensive because people like that are merely adopting the superficial trappings of the culture and declaring themselves a part of it. It's comparable to the "gated community gangster" white boys that assume the trappings of rap culture and do the same. The conflate the image with the history of struggling to find self-identity, personal insecurity, and courage to finally accept oneself that is inherent in the actual culture. While I agree that it's nothing to get too butthurt about, it's certainly offensive and irritating, not to mention laughable. But honestly I only know of the phenomenon through memes and some personal acquaintances, and I haven't heard much of the rest of the internet actually talk about it, so my impression may be more unique than most. Either way, the "fake nerd girl" isn't totally harmless.

Bob, nobody likes a poser. Not for a band, a sport team or any culture identity. Ever heard "He's all hat and no cattle"? Well, now there's geek posers and they are just as resented as 'that guy' who wears a Metallica shirt but can't name a single member of the band or a song title. Now 'that guy' wants to scramble onto the stage and jump so he can crowd surf because he is an attention whore. You can go ahead and put boobs on 'that guy' and he's still a d_k. Don't weep for posers just because they have tits.

punipunipyo:
Yeah, I was TOTALLY in sync with your view on the whole "Fake Nerd Girl" thing... I was like (the first time I heard this was a "thing"... "WTF? Weren't we supposed to be hella happy, that we ARE the mainstream? That WE are the standard? that WE took over? THat ALL they (the beautiful people) are now wanting to be part of OUR culture?" I still don't get it... it took us years, we finally took over the world... and now we don't want to let the people who can MORE APPROVE us being the majority in? that's just stupid... they now want to crown us, and we cast the crown out the window (not in a Christian way)? weird...

Nope, we didn't take over the world.

Thick framed glasses took over the world. Basic Star Wars trivia took over the world. Online memes took over the world.

Being actually nerdy, as in being obsessed with extensive details of some insignificant hobby, even at the expense of sociability, is just as ridiculed as ever. Except that now the people who kept supporting the bullying and the hate and the arrogance, call themselves "nerds", based on some surface change in fashions. Because now instead of dudebro movies, we have dudebro shooters (and games are nerdy, right?), or because the blockbuster movies have more speculative fiction and less traditional war/police action movies (aliens are nerdy, right?), etc.

Because the youtube vloggers playing up their "nerd girl" appeal are the same ones who would have played up an emo style a few years ago, a punk rocker style two decade ago, and a hippie style half a century ago. Because they tend to be the kind of people who care more about following the trends, than understanding the motivations and behaviors of the subcultures that they represent.

Abandon4093:
I can't tell whether people genuinely don't understand why there's a thing about fake nerd girls, or whether they're just pretending not to understand it to come off as understanding or something.

People hate attention whores.

That is all.

No seriously, people complain about attention whores everywhere. If there's a person whoring attention, there will be somebody complaining about it. Add to that the general insecurities of people who actually identify as a 'geek' in a non ironic fashion, and you get 'the fake nerd girl meme/situation/whatever.'

It's really not that hard to understand. And I don't even bloodywell identify myself as a geek/nerd/whatever.

The thing is, that all these bloggers, journalists, opinion leaders, and commentators, who keep bringing up these moral issues, are basically pundits.

They are the pundits of the gamer community, and they make a living from bringing you the latest Moral Panic, even if they have to make one up.

Because "There is this big outrage full of idiots where everyone says this and that exact thing, and now here I tell you why they are all wrong" sells better than "There is a recent discussion theme with various directions, out of which, I vehemently disagree with the sexist implications of Penetrator999's post, and though leto2yay brought up a good point about booth babes being sexist, then nippon-warkiller brought that too far by blaming this on the girls themselves, and while Kafkaesque_Dreamer's justification for nerds' distaste for fakes was spot on, HotForAsuka sounded a bit too elitist as if she would have a superiority complex about how being a True Nerd is better than being other people."

It's just a show. It's supposed to make you feel involved. Make you feel afraid of the barbarians at the gate, about the "outraged masses" obsessively repeating their point, while US, the right ones, are merely "engaging in discourse".

Azure Knight-Zeo:
I haven't been following this "fake geek girl" thing and now I wish I still wasn't.

Also isn't Daverse the same last name as Ms. Marvel's alter ego?

Excellent ninja skills. Yeah, the adoption name 'Danvers', as in:

This whole Geek culture heritage thing is stupid. If people want to enjoy what I'm into, they can do that. If women want to dress up as comic or video game characters, good for them. I don't give a damn about why anyone does it. If you think it looks cool, go for it. If you like the character, good on you.

I work in a very dynamic work environment. I have to go from talking about sports, to talking about cars, to talking about aquariums. I learn new things about this stuff. Does that make me a fake car guy, or a fake sports guy, or a fake fish guy? I don't care.

As for the whole Supergirl thing, it's a rather interesting and bumpy theory. If you think Supergirl is confusing, wait until next week. Your mind will asplode.

i liked where he was going with the fake geek girl 'problem'.

then he got to super girl and i was all 'huh ... well, its a comics are weird, so it'll be interesting', so now i'm waiting for next week to see how Power Girl fits into all this

Entitled:
snip

Personally I like journalism that has a point. Which is probably why I ignore 90% of game journalism, because as you say. It's generally just hot topic nonsense that's just as asinine as the celeb pages in a tabloid.

I watch/read reviews and try and keep on top of release dates and and development issues. Soap-boxers and herders can eat a bullet as far as I'm concerned.

Nicolaus99:
Bob, nobody likes a poser. Not for a band, a sport team or any culture identity. Ever heard "He's all hat and no cattle"? Well, now there's geek posers and they are just as resented as 'that guy' who wears a Metallica shirt but can't name a single member of the band or a song title. Now 'that guy' wants to scramble onto the stage and jump so he can crowd surf because he is an attention whore. You can go ahead and put boobs on 'that guy' and he's still a d_k. Don't weep for posers just because they have tits.

You put that in much better terms that I managed.

Posers/attention whores have always irked people. Not really sure why we're suddenly deciding to jump to their defence now.

I like the part where you cut out an estimated 10min rant. Thank you for cutting that out.

Anoni Mus:

Paradoxrifts:

Anoni Mus:

Are you one of the guys who compares him to hitler, tell me, because if that's the case i'll add you to ignore List, something maybe you should have done to me.

An historian could probably easily fill a photo album as thick as my fist with examples of photographs of historically significant Communists, Socialists and other politically left-minded people who are far more deserving of being remembered into the 21st century than that guy.

But I suspect none of them would look quite as fetching rocking a goatee and a beret.

Of Course you don't understand the 'we hate fake gamer girl' people, Bob. You're a well adjusted person with a little self-confidence. Speaking as an asexual paranoid manic depressive person who doesn't know the difference from a friendly hello from a death threat. I can tell you an unknown coming to a very fragile comfort zone leads to extreme panic which leads to a bunch of counter-attacks when there is no true attack.

I'm going through therapy for this. It's the people who aren't that can be scary.

I don't understand where this "fake geek girl" controversy is coming from. I think one internet soapbox threw in their 2 cents and so others did and it grew from there.

However I feel that the issue that some seem to have has more to do with "posers" IE not liking people who feel the need to lie about it, be it games, films, music, fashion, sports etc.

daxterx2005:
Power girl next week?

My body is ready.

This.
This was made perfect by your avatar.
Excellent work.

Also, that's sexist. You sexist. No sexist zone. Sexist. Sex. where am i?

In all the thousands of posts relating to "geek culture," on the Escapist forums alone, I'll bet anyone my entire years salary, that not once has anyone tried to DEFINE what "culture" actually MEANS; instead, we opt to use "culture" at our whim, on impulse, by an urge to bolster the significance of "geek," turning it into something sacred just because, rather than grounding the term to a concrete definition.

I thought the issue with the "fake gamer X" thing was that they were exactly what the title says: Fake. A person declares their love for something and say it is a major part of their life that they would know a decent amount about the culture in order to carry on a decent conversation ("Arrow to the knee, lol! ...What's Skyrim?" ...For example). I would never declare I know everything about comics just because I've been watching the stuff Movie Bob puts up but there are some people who do exactly that.

Then there is the media abusing our "weakness" and making millions off of it.

RJ Dalton:
I'll give my take on it at least.
I'm not afraid of people getting into my shit. I actually actively try to get people interested in my shit. My fantasies, the comics and books I like, the anime that I still like now that my demented otaku phase from high school is over. I enjoy introducing people to the stuff I like because I feel the stuff I like deserves to be liked and enjoyed by people.
The thing I hate is when stuff I like becomes a fad and people are into it because it's the "in thing" to be, and not for it's merits. This encourages garbage to be made in imitation of the stuff I like, but it ultimately shows how little it understands what's good about the stuff I like. I remember when the anime fad took over. Lots of people were going on about how into anime they were, but all they talked about was shit like Naruto, or stuff of similar quality. But you ask them about Mamoru Oshii or Hayao Miyazaki, or the people who have earned their places as the best in the industry and they know nothing about any of that, because they aren't really interested in anime, they just want to appear like they do because it's popular. It's all purely superficial.
Surely, you, Bob, understand that. I mean, look at what Hollywood trying to mainstreamize geek culture did to Star Trek.
But I take some comfort in knowing that fads come and go. Sooner or later, the vapid, identity-free populous will find something else they want to imitate. The poseurs will go away sooner or later, because they always do. BUT! Some people will stay, because, while they may have initially gotten into it for superficial reasons, some of them will find that they genuinely like the stuff and that's a net positive. Provided, of course, we don't frighten them off.
So, even though I find fake geeks (men and women, let's not kid ourselves by pretending that only the girls fake it) annoying, why are we not trying to bring them into our group? Nothing will scare the fakes away faster than us trying to get them interested in something that they'll quickly find they're not really interested in and, as a result of our trying, we'll bring new blood into the fold who may, as initial outsiders, have new ideas to lay on the table. That's a good thing, is it not?

Wow... er, okay... look, you basically just desribed what happened to me but calling Naruto shit makes it seem that your just asking for a freaking flame war. I'll be the first to put my hand up and say the series has reeeeeeeeally lost focus since it bagan but the reason it was hyped up so much was because it had a wide audience. Granted these would eventually cripple it by meaning the series could never STOP TALKING ABOUT THE FREAKING SHARINGAN!!!!... however it can still yeild interesting results sometimes, im not hating on your oppinion I just grew up with these characters and feel honour bound to defend it especially while I still devote myself to this mofo's teachings.

Anoni Mus:

Hannes Martinsson:

Anoni Mus:

B grade is better than C, D or E :D
Downgrading female roles is common in shounens made by males (or practically any media made by males), but even there you can find some good roles, but yeah, Naruto is the worst in that aspect.

Well, in one of my country anime forums I am at, a lot of users hates EVA, so they kinda put me off.

Naruto's female characters... I can deal with the fact that damn near every character without the sharingan who isn't Naruto is basically redundent now but the girls were basically like this from the begining.

I actually relised yesterday that its been part of my life for a decade now and watching it turn into the mess it is now is grating. Series should get better as they develope by playing to their strengths not worse by ignoring their faults.

Ickabod:
The fake geek girl can all be summed up into one universal idea. No one likes a poser.

While it's fine, in fact great if someone wants to get involved in a topic (in this case geek culture) and learn about it, that's awesome. However in any culture when you just walk in acting like you know it all, it turns off the people that actually are a part of that culture, and the person "posing" in that culture is obviously faking it.

It's ok to not be knowledgeable about something, someone wanting to learn what makes you tick is a great thing, but you can't just walk in and pretend to be an expert on the subject matter.

The other problem with fake geek girls is that they bring down the overall image of genuine geek girls because everyone starts to assume that any girl involved in geek culture is just pretending to fit into it. The stereotype is that there aren't any women interested in geek things (which is untrue), but pretty girls pretending to be into it, just discredit those who really are. Which is true for any topic, hell women interested in sports for that matter would be a great example too.

Personally if someone takes an interest in what you are interested in, let them embrace it and maybe find the same love for it that you have. But if you find out they are just pretending to you, that's not far removed from lying, and no one likes being lied to.

Holy crap, get out of my head! We geeks and nerds are territorial by nature, and we hate posers and anyone who claims to like our stuff "Ironically", cheapening the value of our favorite things AND the meaning of irony. As nerds, it should be our duty as "the high priests of popular culture" (Bob's words) to spread the word to the masses, if they are truly willing to listen.

Paradoxrifts:

Anoni Mus:

Paradoxrifts:

An historian could probably easily fill a photo album as thick as my fist with examples of photographs of historically significant Communists, Socialists and other politically left-minded people who are far more deserving of being remembered into the 21st century than that guy.

But I suspect none of them would look quite as fetching rocking a goatee and a beret.

You're right. But it's not about being the most deserving, it's about sending a message, in which case I used a well known person, but if you want I can change it to Lenin or Marx.

BaronIveagh:

daxterx2005:
Power girl next week?

My body is ready.

ROFL

This is either Power Girl's attempt to admit her character flaws and being extremely bad at choosing her words...

Or this is the most straight-faced confession for pity-sex I've ever read.

Neat episode, Bob. Only had a chance to check out the first minute or so before I went to work today but I was very pleased at what you would have said. Y'know, if misogyny bugged you at all or something.

Excellent analysis of supergirl (as far as I know; I don't read comics much myself), really curious now as to the Power Girl-Supergirl connection. I always assumed that Power Girl was just a regular woman who got bitten by a pair of radioactive breast implants.

I'm still confused about where this whole "fake geek girl" thing is coming from.

I've not seen anything anywhere indicating that suddenly there was a need and cause for people everywhere to point out the misogyny in the, apparently existing, people who complain about fake geek girls.

Why is everyone suddenly coming out with stuff like this? Why exactly now? Is there some major news story by some important person who bitches about fake geek girls I missed? Or is this just a bandwagon everyone feels the need to get onto to prove to the world how not sexist they are?

Bob, I'm not gonna lie. You diss Power Girl and I am gonna go all Bryan Mills on you.

Dear god, why is so much Supergirl art so... terrible?

Seriously, it's like they deliberately sought out artists with no grasp of anatomy, and the attempts at cheesecake shots are just... disappointing. It's like the writers and artists are announcing on every alternate page that they don't care about the material or trying to establish any kind of dramatic tone (it's not just the costume either, it's the angles, positions and expressions the artists choose). I think Power Girl might actually have a much better track record when it comes to how she's drawn.

I'm actually surprised that Super Girl had so much history behind her. I never bothered to research it myself, but I always assumed that she was just a "female" superman, essentially. I can't wait to see the next video.

Bob, I have to say this is the first time I've disagreed with you strongly (re: the "Fake Geek Girl" thing).
I don't think that the reaction has anything to do with "keeping girls out" of geek culture - rather, it's more of a self-protective reaction. I think geeks/nerds of a certain generation are so used to being mocked openly (in school, on TV, movies, etc), that we are far more suspicious than we should be of girls finally realizing that our nerdy interests are fun. The push-back (if there really is any), is more against being pandered to and insulted by what seems like faked interest by the fairer sex and corporate America.

Remember in high school when you would fantasize about sweeping Ms. Beautiful off of her feet, and even your own head would betray you and remember that she wouldn't like what you consider fun? That mild subconscious shame you could feel even when you were enjoying yourself playing AD&D or a video game? Ok, maybe that's just me, but there are millions who felt the same, I know. Now the hot girl on TV has a ridiculous grin on her face and is flailing at a game pad like an epileptic chimp, and I'm insulted. And feeling that insult in the media fuels a resentment that can be misplaced on females who actually enjoy nerd-hobbies because we can't know if, deep inside, they're just another corporate drone hawking something or if we suddenly ARE as cool as everyone else.

It's not pretty in an old-school nerd's head. We took the lumps, and now maybe popular culture really is coming around at last... But there are still plenty of water-headed fakes out there, waiting to mock what they can't understand, or just trying to fit in with the crowd. More power to the ladies who actually enjoy an evening of Star Trek, but I'll not be buying them a Captain Janeway uniform until they prove they're for real.

zombie711:
However this whole anti fake geek girl thing proably steams from things like Booth babes or other host of geek related media who are there for sex appeal alone. Remeber when pax didnt allow booth babes or at least made them have to know about the game in question they were supporting. Same kind of idea.

Read the #1 on this list
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful-ways-internet-tainting-everything-else_p2/

That is an interesting point the article is making.

I think the issue is less on "fake gamer girls", whatever the hell that means, and more on the fact that it feels manipulating. After all, as MovieBob said, the "popular kids" now want to join in on our little club, but because they are trying to manipulate people by acting all nerdy n' whatnot it implies that gaming is still viewed as a childish hobby to be used and manipulated to get the nerds salivating at them.

I mean, look at movies. Why is there no outrage against "fake movie-buff girls" that pose for movie shots and premiers and conventions and whatnot? Because they, women, are already seen as integral to the medium and people recognize that the women that do pose and cosplay in sexy outfits referencing movies as just women who want to flaunt their stuff (nothing wrong with that, mind you). Nobody questions whether they even know the movie they're cosplaying from or not because it doesn't matter. For gaming, because it's still considered an immature hobby, people feel more threatened and manipulated when women do the same thing, thinking (and to an extent justified in this thinking) that the woman is just doing this to get "nerd" points.

I dunno, I feel it's more of an issue of feeling "manipulated" and gaming still being thought as an infantile pasttime. I do agree with Bob, however, that the entire thing alltogether is just an effort to exclude more diversity in the medium/industry for the sake of keeping things the same.

Note, I am not demonizing "fake gamer girls" (again, whatever the hell that means), I don't have an issue with women who want to flaut their stuff in tribute to the medium they love, or hell even if it's just a marketing scheme. I just think this issue is a bit more involved then some people give it credit.

First of all 'nerd culture' hasn't gone mainstream. Snippets of it have gone mainstream yes, but since we ourselves as nerds cannot classify what is a 'nerd or geek' it can't go mainstream. I think this mainly comes from the pretty girls wearing the thick glasses and the 'ironically' funny tee-shirts that ten years ago they wouldn't be seen dead in. Some are doing it because they actually found they liked it, some are doing it to get attention. Those are the ones we dislike.

Think about it we have fought tooth and nail to maintain our subculture and now it suddenly okay to be what we are? It's a bit of a culture shock and it's not surprising there are those who want to go back to the status quo. Wait a few years and it will be something else that is popular and mainstream. Take the influx of sports movies from the 90's.

In a few years the hipster movement, and it's nerd chic will die off and for better or worse we will have added new members to our subculture and the angry troglodytes will disappeared back into the heart of the Tardis or wherever they come from.

On topic thought. So this mean's the boob window will be talked about? Oh god!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here