Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 16 NEXT

Huh, I thought Yahtzee was smarter than that. He actually fell for the white privilege bullshit line.

Remember guys, check your white privilege at least twice a day. And if any minority insults or is racist towards you, its your own fault for being a privileged white male cis.

Seriously, i was very disappointed Yahtzee, never expect this kind of thing coming from you.

Crikey, Yahtzee, what have you done? I can't remember a flame war like this since your review of 'Super Smash Bros. Brawl'. I find it hard to say anything original on the topic, since you have already covered most of it. I will be honest in saying that I find these flag waving, semi-imperialistic games tiresome in the extreme. Yet, at the same time, I tend to usual play historical grand strategy games like Total War. Am I being hypocritical here or is there a genuine disconnect between the game play and events? Especially since the Ottoman Empire has been officially defunct for close to a century.

OK, let me be clear, I have and always will LOVE COD. Its by far the greatest FPS ever made, probably the best game ever made. Some people are saying I'm a troll, misquoting me, misleading others but let me say this, I have and never will hate COD, its an amazing masterpiece. To my fellow COD lovers out there, stay strong, no matter what others might say we are right because our game is popular. Like Apple, COD/Activision is perfect due to its popularity. No game can hold a candle to this amazing piece of programing. I am disappointed that Yahtzee can not see the gray-brown goodness that is COD, it stays true to what made COD4 amazing, by being almost the same, and we all know innovation comes from doing the exact same thing forever. Also you're all just jelly you can't shoot as well as me and will never have my amazing KDR.

Zero Serenity:
Also, help from Moviebob on Oliver North:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9jnevggnc

Fucking Moviebob....

As a black transwoman (essentially a minority in a minority in a minority) I love his focus on making sure that no one is invisible and that no biased slight is below our notice but damn is he ever going to try to see the world through a lens other than his own?

On another note, that was my first time ever seeing him and he is rather cute.

Ah dear lord, what the Hell happened? I went away for a couple of hours and all of a sudden this whole thread devolved into a talk about racism? Jesus Christ, why does this crap always happen?

Also some people are saying that it's impossible to be racist against white people...isn't that kinda like saying that it's impossible for a man to be raped? Yeah it doesn't happen nearly as often, but you can't deny that it exists.

Rikortez:
Remember guys, check your white privilege at least twice a day. And if any minority insults or is racist towards you, its your own fault for being a privileged white male cis.

Seriously, i was very disappointed Yahtzee, never expect this kind of thing coming from you.

Unless whites are rounded up and stuck in a concentration camp like Hispanics are in some western red states, its not true racism on the scale other races face.

White jokes? Everyone has race jokes.

Whites don't have people like Joe Arpaio chasing them, infringing on their rights, and sent to a camp in the desert. Where there is very little food, water, and the women are sexually assaulted and and don't even have tampons. Forced to sleep in their own menstrual blood stained sheets. Yet the Department of Justice does nothing.

They let it happen. So any time a white man says they are having a hard time with reverse racism, remember this:

At least you're not in an American concentration camp in 2012.

SOCIALCONSTRUCT:

Wow I've never heard people whine about white privilege before. Its pretty exiting and edgy. Please tell me more about POC first world problems. Yatzee is risking his job by having such dangerous political opinions!

Yatzee appears to be morphing into another Bob Chipman. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Exciting and edgy? Not really. A welcome occurence when community favourites like Yahtzee (as opposed to hobbyist sociology minors) makes a point of adressing the issue? Absolutely.

Slightly unrelated; oh, the white tears in this thread. Om nom nom. They sustain me.
Nobody has, to my knowledge, ever claimed that white people cannot be subject to racial prejudice. It is absolutely a possibility, and to claim otherwise would be foolish. But to equate that to the systemics of racial oppression suffered by people of colour? Asinine.

Ultratwinkie:

Rikortez:

Unless whites are rounded up and stuck in a concentration camp like Hispanics are in some western red states, its not true racism on the scale other races face.

Citation please?

I'm fairly certain there has never been concentration camps setup in the US for a singular race since WWII when FDR and the rest of his party got loony and sent all the people with Japanese ethnicity to camps

I hope there will be a ZP on Far Cry 3.

Wait a sec...so Yahtzee doesn't like Military shooters?? I'm lost.

Honestly though, as Much as I love the Spunkgargleweewee reviews, it is starting to feel a bit like picking on a retarded kid. I feel guilty when I laugh, but the laughter never stops!

Kelgair:
Huh, I thought Yahtzee was smarter than that. He actually fell for the white privilege bullshit line.

This. This exactly.

This one was kind of hard to take seriously since Yahtzee complained about all the games being the same but didn't give a single mention to the choices within the game, which were implemented really well for the most part. (Some were kind of confusing though, like giving you a 'Press F or Space' during the segment with Farid. It would have been better to just let you use the gun yourself.)

SNCommand:

Ultratwinkie:

Rikortez:

Citation please?

I'm fairly certain there has never been concentration camps setup in the US for a singular race since WWII when FDR and the rest of his party got loony and sent all the people with Japanese ethnicity to camps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
http://americasvoiceonline.org/blog/arpaio-boasts-about-his-concentration-camp-calls-out-puente-arizona-for-challenging-him/

He has a hard on for going after Hispanics. He tries to make his prison a concentration camp and he is extremely racist, and is a regular defendant over at SCOTUS.

The feds had many problems with him. They never do anything. Even with financial fraud, human rights violations, and a litany of other crimes.

Anyone who dares run against him is harassed by his officers.

No one seems to do anything about him.

Arif_Sohaib:

The Lahore level also raises some doubts because of all the fake Arabic despite the Pakistani soldiers speaking Urdu in a proper Punjabi accent and they are actually talking about the downed drone like your partner tells you.They could have asked the voice actors to give them some Urdu words, they could have used Google to check what Lahore looked like but instead they used fake Arabic for a country where almost no one actually speaks Arabic. Thinking like this would be like us thinking all Catholics speak and write Latin.
The only Arabic word that CoD has gotten right is "Rose" which is apparently the name of a franchise store in CoD world's Muslim areas because it shows up in almost every CoD game.

A lot of the signage in the Lahore level were recycled textures from Modern Warfare 2. I remember the "Fariha Market" sign from the "Invasion" multiplayer map, and there are some others too.

It does seem like a lazy shortcut to take, when they went to the trouble of getting genuine Urdu voice acting for the soldiers, which is pretty neat. Maybe the graphics people and the voice-recording people weren't talking to each other.

SNCommand:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Perhaps I should clarify. The US has killed more enemy civilians than any country in the world. We claim we're killing "insurgents" and "terrorists" and whatever else the Pentagon calls them this week, but we end up killing way more innocent civilians than we do enemy combatants. Hitler and Stalin killed their own people, which is a large difference in this case.

So the London Blitz was nothing then? Eastern Europe was never moved westward and the mass exodus that followed never killed a million people? North Vietnam never exterminated South Vietnamese villages and started a genocide on the US allied Hmong? There were no genocides in the Balkans after Yugoslavia fell?

The only thing that is different when the US wages war is that their enemies can't touch their civilians, instead they attack their own.

Treblaine is right, we are off topic here but:

The Americans have killed an estimated 1.7 million civilians between Vietnam, Iraq, World War 2, Afghanistan, Korea, and other conflicts. More than any other country. I never said those events never occurred, just saying statistically, the US killed more.

I liked it when CoD was still in World War II. Yeah, it's still as ludicrous as it is now, but at least then you might've tangentially learned something about history.

Regardless, you know it's going to make a mint off the stooges who just want to see crap blow up. I however do not enjoy the Spunkgargleweewee genre. Spunkgargleweewee BlOPs is, so buy it I will not.

Treblaine:

Akalabeth:

1. Most of the maps are terrible
2. The guns and killstreaks are still a lot of the same ole shit from the last games. Isn't this supposed to be future warfare? Why am I still using MP5s or MP7s or whatever. Same guns, same grenades, same whatever.
3. The lag compensation is still buggered and can basically ruin any match any time.

Well lag comp was fixed in MW3, and couldn't you give specifics on map problems? Like, what makes them terrible?

I don't think lag comp was fixed in anything. Like I say when someone shoots me in one bullet and I look at their screen and they fire 6-7 bullets something doesn't make sense. Or I'm shooting them dead to rights and I look at their killcam and I'm shooting to the side of them. It's not broken all the time certainly, but there are games where I'm playing and it's obvious that I'm at a huge disadvantage (regardless of my subpar skills) and in those cases I usually just drop.

Like I say, the linear control-point placement is a big issue for me. Putting the flags in a straight line instead of in a triangle makes the game a lot less dynamic and a lot more of a WW1-grind fest at the middle. And part of this is a product of the maps themselves, many of which are mirror-images of each other (aftermath, meltdown, hijacked) with basically equivalent sides that set up a huge WW1-style grindfest in the middle.

B-Flags also used to have some semblance of cover. Even the worst examples in MW3, the B-flag on interchange and the A-flag on Arkaden actually had cover from some direction. If you're trying to cap B in Slums, Meltdown, Yemen, etcetera you can basically be shot from any direction. Yemen alone, the B-flag can be approached from four paths, covered from sniper spots in 5-6 different buildings and it has zero cover whatsoever, it just sets up a big grindfest. It results in a lot of lop-sided wins with half the teams bailing at half time. And yeah I cap the flag, go in with smoke grenades and trophy system but it's very difficult.

Turbine is rubbish too. Drone is okay and has a cool aesthetic but is too linear.

The best maps for Domination are probably Raid, Standoff and Express.

For Team Deathmatch, Cargo, Express are pretty good. Plaza can be okay.

Kill confirmed it matters less because you'll be running and gunning anyway.

Most of the weapons in COD4 were more than 12 years old. It should be no surprise that Black Ops 2 has many weapons that we have seen today.

All the advancements we are seeing with weapons technology are not with the fundamentals of guns. No. They are as deadly as they'll ever need to be till humans become more bear-like in their build, the advancements are in sighting and guidance systems, as you see in Black Ops 2.

No laser guns.

Dude they already got like Heartbeat sensors, Trophy systems and other magical whizbang tech in COD. Howabout a railgun or something as a sniper rifle? Or even just some sleeker looking guns. Don't need laser or plasma tech, just some evolution of what there is.

Or gyro jet guns (rocket-propelled rounds). Fletchette guns? (guns which fire a bunch of slivers in a spray like an SMG/shotgun hybrid).

Look at the rockets. Same SMAW, RPG and AA lock-on only guns.

Or whatabout even just some interesting toys to actually add? Same UAVs, CUAVs, RCXs, choppers, Reapers, attack dogs. Heck the little robot was already in MW3. Just has a new skin. What's new? The guardian and drone? And why when I hack a turret or guardian do I not take control of it?

----------------------

Overall I like it, it's fun, more balanced. But I wish there were more dynamic maps, more interesting guns and tech to use. I wish you could just unlock whatever you wanted from the get go instead of needing to level up and make them available. Why have unlocks by level and by token? Why not just level OR token? If I want to run and gun with an SMG I should be able to get the laser sight right away, I shouldn't need to use the reflex sight or whatnot in the interim while I try to rank up.

ARCTIC_EAGLE:
Wow, worst review EVER! Any professional review would give this game, the most amazing in history, a 90-100 or 4/5. Every single part of this game is new and interesting and amazing, you're inability to recognize that demonstrates how bad you are at reviewing. When COD:B03 comes out in 2 years you can correct you mistake by giving it a 90-100 like every other reviewer will. Be sure to do the same for COD:MW4, COD:MW5, COD:BO4, COD:MW6, etc. They will ALL be amazing and look amazing and just be more amazing then the amazingly amazing game that came before. In fact they'll be so amazing they'll amaze you into an amazement coma of amazement.

I've only read the first page of posts, so hopefully people have caught on by now, but I think it's hilarious that at least 3 people have already taken you seriously. Well done! That's how you know sarcasm (blatant sarcasm) is becoming an utterly lost concept on the average person. I personally laughed my ass off when I read the serious responses.

Anyway, on topic, I'm not surprised at all that Yahtzee didn't like BO2, but the general consensus seems to be that for a CoD game, this one is pretty good. I didn't buy into MW3 so I've actually had a pretty long absence from CoD, and I'm honestly enjoying this one. For now.

Welp, looks like im done with Yatzee, and btw, it is racist when people make fun of whites for the sake of there white, they are making fun of them for there race, thus its racist.

Let me get this straight. The plot for Blops 2 covers the Contra war efforts in Nicaragua?

You know, the one where the Reagan Administration created an anti-communist army to utterly destroy a small nation recovering from their revolution against a US-supported tyrannical leader, who bombed his own cities to stay in power, and was finally defeated by the rebels that created a new, non-communist government focusing on a recovery effort from the bombings and the devastating earthquake just previously? The one with which their social reforms which emphasized equality in gender and the such-like, health and hygiene and literacy, which was so effective they were recognized by UNESCO and the World Health Organization, were utterly destroyed by the US' sudden invasion? The US invasion that targeted schools and hospitals, with an estimated death toll of around 50,000 Nicaraguans? The one in which the International Court of Justice was so horrified by the actions of the US they pulled funding and demanded it pay reprimands to Nicaragua? To which the US sold weapons to Iran to continue funding of the Contras, which they were later discovered in a huge embarrassment and were sentenced for corruption? Only through a rigged election in Nicaragua by the US, the new leader was put in place that excused the US so they wouldn't have to pay a single cent for the terrible war, and everyone that was found guilty for the Iran-Contra affair was strangely absolved, and the US was allowed to continue harassing Nicaragua for it's economy to benefit their own? That war, then? And Blops 2 paints out the Nicaraguans as the terrorists?

I thought the US' corruption over the whole affair was well known. Now I'm severely disappointed and angry. How dare they.

So it's okay to completely kill everything in sight in Just Cause 2? Why? Is it because the game takes place in Asia and the main character is hispanic or at least has a hispanic sounding name? So it's okay as long as it's not white people killing people of other ethnicities?

I won't comment on whether the game is racist and/or looks down on poor people, as I haven't played it yet. However, I will say that this whole "White people are privileged and so they have no right to complain about anything" is bullshit. Pure bullshit! I'm white, I'm male and I'm also straight, but that does not mean that I simply have to take it when someone disriminates against me. I've never enslaved anyone, I don't think that women are inferior to men and I've also never committed a hate crime.

I know that Yahtzee's reviews are supposed to be funny, but this just wasn't funny at all.

Also, It's called a first person shooter.

Volan:
Let me get this straight. The plot for Blops 2 covers the Contra war efforts in Nicaragua?

You know, the one where the Reagan Administration created an anti-communist army to utterly destroy a small nation recovering from their revolution against a US-supported tyrannical leader, who bombed his own cities to stay in power, and was finally defeated by the rebels that created a new, non-communist government focusing on a recovery effort from the bombings and the devastating earthquake just previously? The one with which their social reforms which emphasized equality in gender and the such-like, health and hygiene and literacy, which was so effective they were recognized by UNESCO and the World Health Organization, were utterly destroyed by the US' sudden invasion? The US invasion that targeted schools and hospitals, with an estimated death toll of around 50,000 Nicaraguans? The one in which the International Court of Justice was so horrified by the actions of the US they pulled funding and demanded it pay reprimands to Nicaragua? To which the US sold weapons to Iran to continue funding of the Contras, which they were later discovered in a huge embarrassment and were sentenced for corruption? Only through a rigged election in Nicaragua by the US, the new leader was put in place that excused the US so they wouldn't have to pay a single cent for the terrible war, and everyone that was found guilty for the Iran-Contra affair was strangely absolved, and the US was allowed to continue harassing Nicaragua for it's economy to benefit their own? That war, then? And Blops 2 paints out the Nicaraguans as the terrorists?

I thought the US' corruption over the whole affair was well known. Now I'm severely disappointed and angry. How dare they.

Amen to that. If I were Yahtzee, I would update this video with that same quote. This game is, by the way, education to US children about what Nicaragua was after all.

I actually like Yahtzee ranting. I do wish there was less spunkgarbleweewee on the market.

Thank you Yahtzee, for reminding me to check my white privilege.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Codblops 2.

Thank you for that equally racist (against Americans as a whole) rant. I admit to not particularly liking the "armchair generals" (they should get off their a**es and do something about whatever they feel is wrong) but also the whole, how do I say it, anti-American thing going.

Everyone has their right to their opinion, but keep up these reviews and I will vote with my mouse, and not watch your videos anymore. I say that because it is the only legitimate way to oppose someone for their beliefs is to write why they are wrong (I will not do here because they have been said, and I do not feel like fighting a flame war this week) and/or not give their content views.

This is your first warning (you have 3 left).

This leaves me a bit mystified. I haven't played any of the MW/BF games, but I would think that the adrenaline spree of gunning down noobs would clash a bit with he methodical plan-it-out style of most tower defense games. I'm wondering if they include it for their core audience or if it's supposed to draw otherwise uninterested parties. Because if I must pay for tower defense I'd much rather just plunk down 10 or 20 bucks for Defense Grid or Orcs must Die or any of the other steam variants.

Whoa!
Getting just a hair uncharacteristically political there.
Political grubbings are the lowest form of 'fish in a barrel' humor.
I'm a long time fan and I hope you go back to good ol' fashioned snark.

Brad Shepard:
Welp, looks like im done with Yatzee, and btw, it is racist when people make fun of whites for the sake of there white, they are making fun of them for there race, thus its racist.

wow. Just wow.

So much butthurt over what Yahtzee said. Wow.

Whites don't have it as bad in terms of racism.

What do whites get that others don't get 10x over?

Small dick jokes? Asians hear them all the time.

White jokes? Everyone has jokes about their race.

Affirmative action? Whites already have that, its called normal life. Only difference is that affirmative action is trying to change statistics of minorities being poorer and less fortunate. That's it.

White privilege is like male privilege, just because you don't recognize it doesn't mean it isn't a real thing.

Goddamn a lot of you guys are butthurt. Deal with it.

OT: Wanted Yahtzee to tear this game a new one. Was not disappointed.

Wow ummm.......wow. Jesus Christ, I knew Yahtzee wasn't going to be singing praises about the game, but I didn't expect him to go on the political rant that he did. Man I haven't seen the forum light up about a ZP review like this in a long time. Might as well move ZP to the politics section whenever he reviews a military shooter.

I have to say that the term "butthurt" is getting thrown around a lot on this thread. I have to admit I don't really like it, it seems rather immature.

Ultratwinkie:

You forgot straight, brah. Straight white males need to check their privilege.

FallenMessiah88:
So it's okay to completely kill everything in sight in Just Cause 2? Why? Is it because the game takes place in Asia and the main character is hispanic or at least has a hispanic sounding name? So it's okay as long as it's not white people killing people of other ethnicities?

I won't comment on whether the game is racist and/or looks down on poor people, as I haven't played it yet. However, I will say that this whole "White people are privileged and so they have no right to complain about anything" is bullshit. Pure bullshit! I'm white, I'm male and I'm also straight, but that does not mean that I simply have to take it when someone disriminates against me. I've never enslaved anyone, I don't think that women are inferior to men and I've also never committed a hate crime.

I know that Yahtzee's reviews are supposed to be funny, but this just wasn't funny at all.

Also, It's called a first person shooter.

Because Just Cause 2 doesn't make "America fuck yeah" popular or as far as blops does.

America has destroyed a lot of nations in its past, often due to fear of communism. Its a particularly touchy subject in South America, who had to deal with American imperialism propping up dictators who kill thousands. All so communists won't "undermine America" which would have never happened anyway because the "domino" theory was pure bull shit.

military shooters fall into the same pit as Home Front and red dawn, a plot so paranoid and fearful you'd swear it was written by a nutcase amassing an armory of guns to go on a killing spree of "communist spies." The same nutcases who would go on a killing spree the moment they imagine the government doing anything because "they are communist puppets."

There is nationalism, and there is just being plain creepy. Games seem to be passing the line between the two. Especially when military shooters make a habit of gunning down people in the third world with very little way to fight back.

Where is the fun of a armed to the teeth military man shooting a poor farmer in the third world? Where?

Beating up on the defenseless would make me look like an asshole. Its like a game where you beat up new born babies, it just doesn't seem that fair.

Also: he calls military shooters spunk gargle wee wee because he hates the genre.

erttheking:
I have to say that the term "butthurt" is getting thrown around a lot on this thread. I have to admit I don't really like it, it seems rather immature.

Mate, I know you're trying to bring sense and logic and calm into this, but it's way too late. It was too late right about after the first person watched this video.
Best for all us sensible people to just gtfo right now before we have giant heart attacks from all the stupid.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here