Rumor Has It

Pages PREV 1 2

canadamus_prime:

MovieBob:
Rumor: Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher will return for Star Wars - Episode VII

Plausibility: High

Let's get real for minute here. Anyone looking to make a new Star Wars movie wanting Luke, Leia and Han to come back for guaranteed cheers in the trailers and big splashy press interviews about "coming home" and such is not news. Of course Disney wants that, and of course those were among the first three phone calls anyone working on this was instructed to make.

As for whether or not any of them would actually do it, with the exception of Ford (who only shows up for something if he actually wants to, at this point) I'd say chances are pretty damn high. Yes, Hamill and Fisher are both far from the poor house, but they (and their families) could certainly use the mountains of gold they can demand from The Mouse to walk across a green screen and give the Jedi Generation a final triumphant wink. Also, all involved seem to be much more at peace with the franchise than they were even a decade ago, and being feted like red carpet royalty (maybe taking a cast bow to a standing ovation at that year's Oscars, for example) would make for a pretty excellent coda to career stories that currently end on "eventually re-invented himself as a sought-after voice actor" and "ongoing struggles with drugs, alcohol and other issues," respectively. Remember, everyone from Star Trek was pretty much considered a has-been until they started making the movies.

I don't think that'd be a particularly good idea. With the possible exception of Harrison Ford, none of those 3 have exactly aged well and even if they had unless they're planning to have Episode VII take place 40 years after the original trilogy it's going to look really odd.

They could always try what they did in Tron legacy and make really good younger CGI clones with Hamil and Fisher merely adding voicework.

Darks63:

canadamus_prime:

MovieBob:
Rumor: Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher will return for Star Wars - Episode VII

Plausibility: High

Let's get real for minute here. Anyone looking to make a new Star Wars movie wanting Luke, Leia and Han to come back for guaranteed cheers in the trailers and big splashy press interviews about "coming home" and such is not news. Of course Disney wants that, and of course those were among the first three phone calls anyone working on this was instructed to make.

As for whether or not any of them would actually do it, with the exception of Ford (who only shows up for something if he actually wants to, at this point) I'd say chances are pretty damn high. Yes, Hamill and Fisher are both far from the poor house, but they (and their families) could certainly use the mountains of gold they can demand from The Mouse to walk across a green screen and give the Jedi Generation a final triumphant wink. Also, all involved seem to be much more at peace with the franchise than they were even a decade ago, and being feted like red carpet royalty (maybe taking a cast bow to a standing ovation at that year's Oscars, for example) would make for a pretty excellent coda to career stories that currently end on "eventually re-invented himself as a sought-after voice actor" and "ongoing struggles with drugs, alcohol and other issues," respectively. Remember, everyone from Star Trek was pretty much considered a has-been until they started making the movies.

I don't think that'd be a particularly good idea. With the possible exception of Harrison Ford, none of those 3 have exactly aged well and even if they had unless they're planning to have Episode VII take place 40 years after the original trilogy it's going to look really odd.

They could always try what they did in Tron legacy and make really good younger CGI clones with Hamil and Fisher merely adding voicework.

Yeah, somehow I think that still won't work, or at least would have the air of the uncanny valley about it.

Reeve:

Bob:
It's been established that Christian Bale simply isn't a movie star without his Bat-kevlar

Someone hasn't seen American Psycho

Or the Prestige. Or the Fighter. Or 3:10 to Yuma. Or Terminator: Salvation (not necessarily a top notch movie, but it was successful at least).

The cynic is me is very much in wait and see mode regarding the new Superman movie as in ~40 decades of trying the success rate on live action Superman movies has been less than encouraging and that's probably being too charitable. Also as much as I would like to see a Justice League movie I think that the model that Marvel went at the Avengers with is the correct one (i.e. multiple individual movies setting up for a team-up movie) and to that end we're years away as there hasn't been anything successful or good (in the live-action department) related for any non-Batman JL character in a long time. Even more baffling is that DC owns the rights to all their stuff. Hell they're owned by Warner Bros. The fact that there aren't any licensing barriers to getting something made and the fact that there's a direct pipeline to making a movie makes the utter failures at doing so all the more baffling. But hey, 'Man of Steel' might be good. The final thing that I find really confusing is that DC/Warner Bros. have made some really solid animated features for Batman, Superman and the whole damn Justice League. How that cannot or has not translated into better live action movies is beyond me.

Nolan isn't a big fan of the "Mystical" aspects of Batman, hence the dumbing down of Rhas and Bane. Considering the members of the JLA, I can only shudder at how Nolan would make Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern or The Flash work in the Real World.

Ickabod:
I'm probably in the minority here. But I would be totally into a reboot of Indiana Jones. Indy was a my childhood hero, that series and I have a lot of fond memories, dressing up at Halloween and stuff like that. Let's face it Harrison Ford is what 70 now? While he IS Indiana Jones, let's just accept that he is too old to carry the torch any longer and just close that chapter, go back and start all over again.

Disney now owns the rights so it's probable that they'll want to go there at some point anyway. I say go for it, let's just bite the bullet and hit the reboot on that one, rather than do injustice to the series by dragging out a 5th movie.

I could see a Young Indiana Jones movie. There's really no reason to do a reboot of a movie based on a serial concept. I think they should never remake any of the ones they've done and instead focus on new stories based on the same character before "Raiders". As you said Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, but I think it would only serve to weaken the franchise and the new project by doing the same adventure twice with different actors.

irishda:

Reeve:

Bob:
It's been established that Christian Bale simply isn't a movie star without his Bat-kevlar

Someone hasn't seen American Psycho

Or the Prestige. Or the Fighter. Or 3:10 to Yuma. Or Terminator: Salvation (not necessarily a top notch movie, but it was successful at least).

Also The Machinist. Also Equilibrium. Also Public Enemies.

Christian Bale is a great actor...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or