Escape to the Movies: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Pages PREV 1 2

Edited back to life, who in the what now?

spell it out for me, I don't read every bit of movie news.

The TMNT image wasn't thaaat bad, they are mutant turtles remember. That said, they aren't the best looking ones either.

That's funny--all the G.I. Joe fansites I frequent are pretty much saying "forget the first film existed, this is how the movie franchise should have began."

From what I've read, I'm glad to see that Roadblock doesn't become the "ULTIMATE NINJA COMMANDO" like he's been presented on the toy packages. Or maybe that was something that was removed in the months since? That would have really irked me; it's like if they made a (good) live-action Dragonball Z movie and they snagged someone high-profile to play Yamcha, so they rewrote the script to have HIM save the earth instead of Goku or Vegeta.

And really, don't pretend like the fact that it's THE ROCK didn't factor into Roadblock taking command of the Joes. I wouldn't have minded it if he'd been there in the first movie instead of Heavy Duty, but he just kind of shows up and takes leadership.

Funny then, how fans hate Channing's Duke for that very same reason.

Oh my god I had one of those car toys that shoots missiles as a kid. I had no idea it had anything to do with GI Joe or Street Fighter.

shit it would have been better if they cgi recreated Sgt. Slaughter for the movie, i would have paid to see that

Endocrom:
Edited back to life, who in the what now?

spell it out for me, I don't read every bit of movie news.

Tanning Chatum. Or Channing Tatum. Wutevah.

Basically the movie was supposed to be out 9 months ago, but around a month before it was supposed to be released (just after the tv ads/billboards had started to go up in full force) Paramount yanked it, and Ted happily moved forward a week (and into the R-rated comedy box office records).

This confused a lot of people, because they had just sunk millions (possibly tens of millions) in advertising only to delay. The "official" reason from Paramount was that they wanted to retool it in 3D "so audiences can get the full experience". The "unofficial" (i.e. rumoured) reason was that 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike had both just done $100mil domestic (not so much international) and Paramount wanted to reshoot because Channing Tatum's character gets killed during the movie opening.

So the rumour was that Channing Tatum was edited back to life after originally being killed in the first 10 minutes. As it was, it looks like he just gets killed in the first 30 minutes instead. I'm still not sure that the delay was worth the double set of advertising, the 3D "upgrade", and the carrying costs... I suspect even the unofficial accounting books will show this in the red even if it tops $400mil worldwide.

I had the Ryu and Blanka Street Fighter Joe's. Nothing special about them, they froze over night in a cup of water just like the others did. Huh, you know what's odd now that I remember it? I did the same to Storm Shadow, but he survived. Weird.

Did they blow most of the money in paying for the cast? It's still a $135 million budget movie, even if that's not the same as the first's $175 million (which honestly still looked kind of bad).

In any case, I'm trying to forget the first movie existed. "So bad it's good" only works when it's entertaining to watch despite the badness.

Korskarn:
I'm still not sure that the delay was worth the double set of advertising, the 3D "upgrade", and the carrying costs... I suspect even the unofficial accounting books will show this in the red even if it tops $400mil worldwide.

With a film like this, it's hard to say. It's the type of film where they can get toy manufacturers and other merchandise companies to help finance cross-promotional campaigns, which reduces the financial burden on the studio-distributor. That said, they may have burned all that in the first (aborted) marketing campaign, in which case you're probably right - it would take a $400-500 million worldwide return to hit break-even in theaters.

Please god let Bob talk about Evil Dead next week PLEASE!!!

Let not forget the entire Military Chain of Command thing too, What the hell was Lady Jay, a Marine 1st Lieutenant, taking orders from an Army Sargent Major?

If they're going to do the whole Military/Child-hood Toy/Cartoon Nostalgia shtick, at least try and make some of it make sense.

I mean seriously, after the events of the first movie, Duke should have gotten a promotion to at least major (Never mind the fact that in the first film he's wearing the Insignia of one, while Identifying as a Captain).

I saw this yesterday and I actually enjoyed this movie.
I mean I liked number one, I knew what to expect from number 2, and got pretty much what I thought I would get, so no harm done.
+ Ray Park (Snake Eyes and Darth Maul) is always awesome in his *no talk just awesome martial art fight scenes characters*

Handful of dudes....fighting a handful of dudes....

Did you never play with GI Joes?

Im starting to dislike Moviebob...might have need of some other video to replace Friday after a movie about whores (Spring Breakers) was 4deep5u and was mind blowing movie material

I suspect that the reason why Dwayne Johnson played Roadblock instead of "The Rock" may have more to do with the makers of this movie not wanting anything to do with the lawyers at the WWE than with wanting to add more juice to this movie. Sergeant Slaughter was an established wrestler when he joined the then WWF. In fact, Slaughter left the WWF over a dispute involving his part in the G.I. Joe show. (That last bit is on the ProWrestling wiki.)

The Rock as the Rock in that movie would have been ace!

Cobra wins, and in the silence of the newly won battle you just hear "IF YA SMEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL".

And then the rock just hits everyone in the back of the head with a steel chair.

I got to see this movie earlier today. It bogs some. Joe unit is tiny, especially compared to the city sized unit it was in the first movie. Some scenes that are supposed to be thrilling struck me as perfunctory. They were dull and I couldn't wait for them to be over.

A small number of scenes are so good they almost make this worth the price of admission. Some very original plot points that are just plain fun, and some CGI that made me want to leap out of my seat and cheer.

And the Rock is NOT Steven Seagal. He doesn't just fight flabby girly men so he looks good. He fights one guy in particular that Bob thinks was a throw away character. I thought him terrific fun and the stuff between him and the Rock was very good.

I like it as much as Part 1, but for different reasons. This a a C+ kind of movie. Much of it looks cheap. Much of it bogs. Sometimes there is way TOO much character development. I really didn't need to hear Lady Jane's back story for instance. But there are laughs and fun scenery to goggle. I've had worse times.

The important thing about a new GI Joe movie is continuity.

Fact.

DeMorquist:

...might have need of some other video to replace Friday after a movie about whores (Spring Breakers) was 4deep5u and was mind blowing movie material

Ah yes because any woman that partakes in spring break celebrations is a "whore", real classy. I bet you're not seeing the movie because "wah I was bullied!"

Well, even if Bob says: 'meh' then I'm going to see it. Not that I going to see a Shakespearian performance from Bruce Willis like usual but hell, action is still action and the less evolved part of my male brain likes that.

And for those who are already gathering a posse to hang Michael Bay, when it comes to the TMNT screen shot at the end: It is only for a TMNT game, not the film. When the film is out, then you can grab the pitchforks and torches to hang (and possibly burn) the village idiot.

Wow, never knew that SF2 and GI.Joe teamed up in the states.
I was a pretty big fan of both but that never made it over to Europe.

tobimaro:
I suspect that the reason why Dwayne Johnson played Roadblock instead of "The Rock" may have more to do with the makers of this movie not wanting anything to do with the lawyers at the WWE than with wanting to add more juice to this movie. Sergeant Slaughter was an established wrestler when he joined the then WWF. In fact, Slaughter left the WWF over a dispute involving his part in the G.I. Joe show. (That last bit is on the ProWrestling wiki.)

They could call him "The Stone" haha

As for my opinion on the movie, the small budget really got to me. I never really liked the first one, but in this one, I was like "Wait, what happened to the other 5 guys from the team? I thought GI Joe was an international thing, not only a US thing?"

And as crazy as it sounds, I was a little disappointed that Tanning Chatum was killed, maybe it would have been a better movie if he were in it

Just got back from the theatre myself.

To address a point or two, President Zartan does say that he dispatched his COBRA units to dismantle G.I Joe and all of their bases of operation. It's just all that we see on screen is the air strike to destroy Duke and his team.

But that's just nitpicking. A fair point is still a fair point and there are chunks of the story that scream out for explanation.

For example, what happened to Scarlet and how is Storm Shadow not ++dead?

Mr. Bob's pretty much on the money for this one. It's not a bad movie and I respect it for trying to remain truer to the source material, but the narrowed scope is noticeable.

Haven't seen the movie yet because I was out of town. But it sounds like the stuff we have to deal with in cartoons of a small cast in something that was a much bigger universe back in the 80's. Sure we didn't get every Autobot, GI Joe, Decepticon, or Cobra every week, but characters rotated enough over a few episodes to make the fictional universe feel huge.

You know, part of me wanders why they didn't get Charlie Adler to voice Cobra commander again. I mean, cmon, gotta admit he did a pretty damned good Cobra Commander:

Who knows, maybe the other voice will surprise me but, from what i've heard in a preview, it was a bit so-so compared to Adler.

OT: I'll take a look at the movie in any case, I watched some of the old GI joe stuff back when i was a kid so i should probably go see it when i can.

Aiddon:
it didn't even have the decency to be so bad it was good

Guess this sums it up, really.

Look again i'm a giant fanboy i liked the movie. I though fire fly was fun. The ninjas were awkerd but in the comic they always kinda were lol. it's more or less killed the marvel franchise of gi joe (or at least was on deck when it died).

The rock.. as the rock.... Bob. The only reason i don't say anything shitty here is it'll never be shitty enough to convey how bad that utterly wrecks me. Was it the best movie the rocks ever been in? Yeah. ( i know that doesn't say much).

And yes they should have explained storm shadow coming back (the icey death scene is semi lifted from the comic).
In short this felt like another movie bob "not gonna like it cause i made up my mind in advance."

Bob. just watched the movie. Your know the whole canon thing about the city/base and then in this movie nothing? There is a moment where one soldier at the extraction point says "can you contact base?" and the reply "negative" or something like that.

What i think happened. The main task force was sent on the mission. thats like 20-50 people. the leader and everyone. while they were busy doing that the main base got taken out. and then they as the last remaining group were ambushed. thus the movie.

but thats just my take.

Sure why not. Not like Michael bay hasnt fuck over this movie enough as is. The bar is so low at this point anyhting other than him just putting a footage of him dropping a steaming one into a bowl for two hours will be better than what i expect.

EDIT:

and where did bob find that TMNT pic at the end? Id like to show it to a friend but not have to paly the full video.

DugMachine:

DeMorquist:

...might have need of some other video to replace Friday after a movie about whores (Spring Breakers) was 4deep5u and was mind blowing movie material

Ah yes because any woman that partakes in spring break celebrations is a "whore", real classy. I bet you're not seeing the movie because "wah I was bullied!"

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I think I have ever read...

DeMorquist:

DugMachine:

DeMorquist:

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I think I have ever read...

*edit*

Actually scratch that, I'm not getting into an argument with Sir Friendzone or someone who would call a woman a whore because she dares to lay a toe on a beach during spring break.

GI Joe ... I always knew them as these military action figures, you know, green uniform, M16 that goes into the hand?
Then the movie comes out and it looks more like "Crysis 1 - The movie", what with the nano-suits and all that stuff.
It was rediculous to me.
Like, I don't even like GI Joe stuff that much, but the "coincidental" release of a Crysis title and the same CGI material in the GI Joe movie felt like the movie studios tried to rip us off.
And even if they didn't - the movie is just groan-worthy with all the action clichees.
It was a cheap franchise cash-grab at best and a CGI-ed blending with the Crysis games and Michael Bay movies at worst.

MovieBob:
continuity in blockbusters is important now.

Except, you know, Spiderman, X-Men, Superman, Star Trek, Batman, and pretty much every other comic movie I can think of that has more than one film. Continuity just isn't a big thing. Marvel have managed to pull off a nice set of films with a few of their characters, but that's very much the exception. Everyone else, including the rest of Marvel, takes every opportunity they can to throw continuity out and go with a reboot instead.

So, this one's going in the maybe pile, then. I don't get why they changed directors, the first one was just plain fun. No need to be so serious.

I actually agree with bob on this one. I thought the first was average and that this was too. Just forgettable action films, with the first being bit obnoxious and this one being a bit dull. I also like how the deaths of MILLIONS of people in the climax is papered over with "and the world rebuilt" at the end.

I would say, wait for it on DVD and rent it from RedBox...if you're a fan of Joe and just curious. Otherwise, pass.

I'm surprised to admit that I actually remember those commercials from when I was a kid! :o

Suddenly, I feel old. :|

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or