Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

3 complaints I don't understand about SMG:

- "You get so many lives". Yes, they have basically taken the concept of lives out of the game, it's irrelevant these days anyway.

- "It's hard to figure out what's going on when you go upside down/sideways". Of course it is, that's the point. Otherwise you might as well put the whole game on one plain.

- "The storyline is always the same". Who the hell cares about the storyline in a level-based platformer? It's a game about jumping between coloured blocks - do they really need to go into detail about your motivation?

The story line has been the same in every mario game since super mario for the NES. THAT is what he meant

Really good review. But one question Yahtzee, why are you talking so slow compared to the other reviews? Yes what i just said was really silly but i really enjoyed it when you entered hyperdrive mod :>

Wow do people REALLY want an intricate story on a mario game? For what, so you can skip them and be all annoyed by it? What is there to flesh out on a mario story anyway?

Brilliant as usual. The only complaint I can come up with is that Yahtzee sounds tired and talks slower. Fix that please :).

As always I mostly agree

Nintendo needs to shelve mario and come up with something new.
Mario Sunshine was crap
They need to work more on the story and boss fights.
The live system is pointless especially when they take them all away when you save and quit.

The only point when I disagree even a little is the gravity changing at times it adds a little variety but I HATE it when they put you on upside down and sideways platforms and make you do precise moves and jumps.

The starbits thing feels like something randomly through in to make the wii mote seem more important for the game.

But the game overall is FUN.

It took me a while to remember what you meant by the second fucked up moment then i remembered the queen bee part.

Gotta love the line about the 'snow shovelling business in Hell'.

Excellent as per usual.

Glad to see Uncle Tusky is back.

Personally, Galaxy is probably one of my favorite games this year. I encountered very few camera or control hitches, and the shaking-the-Wiimote-to-spin thing never really bothered me (I actually thought the spin attack was a good inclusion, since the angles can sometimes make jumping on enemies hit-or-miss).

I knew not to expect a headcrushingly deep storyline, since Mario's never been about that. I play Mario games for lots of creative and fun platforming, and Nintendo sure as hell didn't disappoint in that respect.

I liked the review though. Gave me some laughs, as always. Some of you may complain that it's "more of the same," but why try to fix something that already works perfectly fine?

njsykora:
And I'd rather be a butthurt Nintendrone than a Halo player.

I'm soooooo happy for you. Fortunately for me I don't give a shit about that "console war" and I really don't care if you think that those who play Mario deserve go to heaven or they are better persons and those who play Halo deserve to be rape by giant grasshopers with Goebbels face (in hell obviously).

Anyway, in my case I guess I can be described as a Butthurt Nintendrone, Xbox-owner-who-fells-into-a-narcoleptic-coma-if-I-don't-kill-anything-in-45-seconds, and a Games-are-art-hippie (yes, Psyconauts is art). I prefer that sort of schizo bahaviour rather than clasify people in top of the others just for the games they play

njsykora:

I'm soooooo happy for you. Fortunately for me I don't give a shit about that "console war" and I really don't care if you think that those who play Mario deserve go to heaven or they are better persons and those who play Halo deserve to be rape by giant grasshopers with Goebbels face (in hell obviously).

Anyway, in my case I guess I can be described as a Butthurt Nintendrone, Xbox-owner-who-fells-into-a-narcoleptic-coma-if-I-don't-kill-anything-in-45-seconds, and a Games-are-art-hippie (yes, Psyconauts is art). I prefer that sort of schizo bahaviour rather than clasify people in top of the others just for the games they play

njsykora:

To those that have mentioned it: stop bitching about Yahtzee's speech speed. Honestly, it doesn't matter, and such a complaint smacks of armchair shit-talking in a vain attempt to sound elitist and cool. It's HIS reviews, he can do them in whichever way he chooses. Personally I appreciate a slower, more deliberate delivery. I'm watching the Guitar Hero 3 review now and I wouldn't say that his speech seems any faster or slower there, and you all seem to love that review (??).

Jelly_man:
I've been waiting for the latest one :D

me too

Jelly_man:

me too

Jelly_man:

me too

that was the best music selection yet! (thats because those songs r ones i own, tho)

Funny this time and all around pretty true though I don't find shaking the controller tiresome though it can sometimes be unresponsive.

Camera? I've seen way worse but no camera is ever going to be perfect for the simple fact that the game can't read your mind to know exactly what you want.

Repetative plot? Ah, big deal! Once upon a time, action games had NO plot whatsoever because the people who play them don't give a damn about plot so little is lost here.

One thing though...

The guy is paid to give a negative review of a game.

This is the kind of thing that doesn't sit well with me. Anti-conformatism is just conformatism with a cheap coat of paint thrown over it.

Chis:
To those that have mentioned it: stop bitching about Yahtzee's speech speed. Honestly, it doesn't matter, and such a complaint smacks of armchair shit-talking in a vain attempt to sound elitist and cool. It's HIS reviews, he can do them in whichever way he chooses.

I'm with you on that. For me Yahtzee's got a great voice and hearing him riff/comment on games in his reviews is great regardless of speed.

And just to add even though I'm all ready late on it: Good job Yahtzee on another funny and informative review! That final shot at the end of the credits is the funniest thing I've seen this week.

Alstan:

njsykora:

i find that VERY insulting. the original halo is a great game and those who dont think so r dog cock-sucking fag-loving bastards (just like yahtzee)

Yes, story = rehash
However, graphics = good,
and gameplay = astronomical

Personally, I think Nintendo was smart to scrap any new storyline. It would just be a waste of effort.

I also didn't find much of a camera problem or wrist problems.

It makes sense that you couldn't find anything wrong with a game as short as Portal, actually. A shorter game has lower expectations.

Of course you'll criticize any full game.

blackfly01:

Chis:
To those that have mentioned it: stop bitching about Yahtzee's speech speed. Honestly, it doesn't matter, and such a complaint smacks of armchair shit-talking in a vain attempt to sound elitist and cool. It's HIS reviews, he can do them in whichever way he chooses.

I'm with you on that. For me Yahtzee's got a great voice and hearing him riff/comment on games in his reviews is great regardless of speed.

And just to add even though I'm all ready late on it: Good job Yahtzee on another funny and informative review! That final shot at the end of the credits is the funniest thing I've seen this week.

I agree. I'm a bloody spaniard and it's not easy to cach all the jokes at first time (or second, or third,...), but anyway, I'm not going to tell him how to do his job.

btw sorry for the triple message. Is there any chance to delete them?(at least 2 of them XD)

brenikai22:

Alstan:

njsykora:

i find that VERY insulting. the original halo is a great game and those who dont think so r dog cock-sucking fag-loving bastards (just like yahtzee)

I reckon you need to loosen up, stop being blinded by your fanboiness and take a look at the game.

Halo is not a great game, it is a fun game.

It's like super smash bros, Fun game? Definitely. Great game? No.

Halo was an better than average shooter, but certainly not incredible.

Mario + Flak Tower

And out come the wolves...

Ahhh, exquisite. Another brilliantly blended combination of humor, criticism, and bum rape.

Arcticflame:
Halo is not a great game, it is a fun game.

It's like super smash bros, Fun game? Definitely. Great game? No.

Halo was an better than average shooter, but certainly not incredible.

Actually I really think the first Halo was a great game at least deserves a "9" in my own ranking and I don't give a 9 for free. Great graphics, a wonderful soundtrack and good story. Besides the constant get-in-pick/push-something-and-go-back maps I've played hundred times with all my friends and I didn't get bored.

But let's stop talking Halo here, there's a Halo 3 review for that XD

I got a chuckle out of it, so mission accomplished.

Damn it Yahtzee, why is it that nearly every song you pick for the intro and end is or somehow becomes one of my guilty pleasure songs?

I ended up playing Super Mario Galaxy in the store, and I'd have to agree with you that the Wii controls are really awkward in this sort of game. Then again, it seems that the only controls I'm actually good at are the ones on the Game Boy etc and keyboard (fuck you all, I was a poor child), so that would explain things.

Hm, he didn't mention that the game seems to completely lack anti-aliasing, and thus the graphics look like fresh blocky shite.

Unless that's only on the HD-tvs they have at gamestop.

In which case, never mind. But still. I haven't bought the thing because it's been so painful to look at, whenever I see a demo.

(Heh, Josef Gobbels head on a giant mantis lulz ftw.)

Great as always. Has anyone taken the time to pause at the blue spoiler alert screen which lasts for one frame? It's pretty funny. And sums up mario pretty well too. Looking forward to next week.

I did miss that delightful self deprication which gives Yahtzee that extra edge though. It was a bit lacking this week - especially as this is the holiday period. A few thematic jokes wouldn't have gone astray. But i still crapped myself laughing so perhaps it doesn't matter if the aim is humour.

Ahh, Mario. When will you get laid. Anyway, how does a plumber end up with some Princess chick anyway?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here