Escapist News Now: Ellen Page Vs. Naughty Dog

Pages PREV 1 2

"Waaah, someone fake looks sort of like me! I demand Recompense!" Fuck off.

OH, wow, I just realized she was the one from that fucking HORRIBLE movie, Juno. Wow. Now I'm glad that this Ellie isn't her. That's practically worth a buy on its own.

Pfft. Ellen Paige is just sore that she backed the wrong horse.

Besides, how do you "rip-off" someone's likeness? A rip-off is a cheap copy or imitation, but I'd say Ellie's appearance is markedly more aesthetically pleasing than Ellen Paige. BURN.

lacktheknack:

Grape_Bullion:
Oh fuck off Ellen Page, go make more movies where you listen to Animal Collective and Of Montreal or something. It takes a certain kind of person to care about likeness issues, especially when there is less than no evidence supporting their claim.

"Less than no evidence"?

Such as, say, the girl having essentially the same name?

Or the fact that they suddenly adjusted Ellie's appearance right as Ellen Page signed up for Two Souls, "by coincidence"?

Or how about the fact that dozens of people, including me, totally thought it was Ellen Page and this was the game she was acting in?

Yeah, I can see why she's annoyed.

OHMUHGAWD! THERE IS ONLY ONE ELLEN IN THE WORLD, AND THAT IS ELLEN PAGE! THIS ELLIE MUST BE HER, BECAUSE THE LAW OF QUANTUM ELLENMENT STATES THAT THERE CAN NOT EVER BE MORE THAN ONE!!! Wait, no, nobody at all ever thought this, not even you.

Also, you don't have a copyright on your own face. It's not something you made, just something that is you.

Bluestorm83:

lacktheknack:

Grape_Bullion:
Oh fuck off Ellen Page, go make more movies where you listen to Animal Collective and Of Montreal or something. It takes a certain kind of person to care about likeness issues, especially when there is less than no evidence supporting their claim.

"Less than no evidence"?

Such as, say, the girl having essentially the same name?

Or the fact that they suddenly adjusted Ellie's appearance right as Ellen Page signed up for Two Souls, "by coincidence"?

Or how about the fact that dozens of people, including me, totally thought it was Ellen Page and this was the game she was acting in?

Yeah, I can see why she's annoyed.

OHMUHGAWD! THERE IS ONLY ONE ELLEN IN THE WORLD, AND THAT IS ELLEN PAGE! THIS ELLIE MUST BE HER, BECAUSE THE LAW OF QUANTUM ELLENMENT STATES THAT THERE CAN NOT EVER BE MORE THAN ONE!!! Wait, no, nobody at all ever thought this, not even you.

Also, you don't have a copyright on your own face. It's not something you made, just something that is you.

Did I ever imply this? Ever?

It's just bad form. It's like when Dreamworks released Madagascar before Disney released The Wild, even though The Wild was the original idea. It's irritating, and I can see why Ellen Page is irritated.

She's not trying to copyright her face (did she even IMPLY she wanted to sue? No). She just feels that The Last Of Us was capitalizing on her even though she's part of a different project. And, as I mentioned earlier, it totally worked, intent be damned.

Avaholic03:
I think the real problem here is that Ellen Page looks too much like "generic teenage girl", which is part of what got her cast in Juno to begin with. Can't help that sometimes other "generic teenage girl" video game models will look similar.

No shit. I was watching an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent yesterday and I swear I saw Ellen Page on it. Turns out thanks to IMDB it wasn't her, so..

Bluestorm83:
"Waaah, someone fake looks sort of like me! I demand Recompense!" Fuck off.

OH, wow, I just realized she was the one from that fucking HORRIBLE movie, Juno. Wow. Now I'm glad that this Ellie isn't her. That's practically worth a buy on its own.

Hey.

Understand what's happening before you make smarmtastic statements.

Before you even TRY to reply, find where Ellen Page said she wanted recompense of any kind.

Like I said on the print article, the media is blowing this way out of proportion. It was an off-handed Reddit comment.
Of course, the media's exaggeration of the situation doesn't compare to that of some of the people here. Calm down, she never even implied she wanted to sue and I doubt very much that she's really pissed that a game character somewhat resembles her.

Grape_Bullion:

ObsidianJones:

Our face isn't our meal ticket.

Ellen Page's face is.

As 'non-news' as this might be, Likenesses are a big deal in the Media aspect of things. Also, given Naughty Dog's comments that it's 'merely coincidence', they themselves are giving validity to Page's comments. Actually, by merely mentioning she's bothered by it and not doing anything else, she's being really cool. If you followed the link, you could see she could very well sue and get a pay day.

Sure her face is her meal ticket, and she's had more than enough compensation for it. Naughty Dog made a character that looks a bit like someone in the media, how extremely unlikely and improbable. As for your link, the hypothetical case would happen in California, where likeness rights are very defined and precise. Even if the case were heard, it doesn't take a genius to figure she wouldn't win.

Kim K did it, and maybe got some cash out of it.

Scarlett Johansson is trying her hand in it.

Be it stupid or frilious, even if companies do not have to pay the settlement, they have to pay the lawyers. And that doesn't help anyone.

My point still stands, even the IDEA of using likenesses is a problem nowadays. Been a problem for a bit. It's a big misstep, even if it is stupid.

kamay:
David Cage is probably asking her to do it because as Mr.Sterling pointed out
His game stars Ellen Paige

No one is buying last of us because they were all "WHOA this girl on the cover looks like that girl from Juno! I must purchase this product right...now"

I saw advertisements at Gamestop for The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls next to each other and thought "Whoa, she's in both of these games? Now I have to pick up both of them!" Then I did some Googling and found out she is only in Beyond Two Souls, and I mentally wrote off the Last of Us. So for me, Ellen Page influenced my purchasing decisions. It's not fair to the developers of the Last of Us, because I hear its a masterpiece. But for me, Ellen Page > Zombies.

ObsidianJones:

{url=http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/476364/20130608/scarkett-johansson-gregoire-delacourt-sues-french-novel.htm]Scarlett Johansson is trying her hand in it.[/url]

Be it stupid or frilious, even if companies do not have to pay the settlement, they have to pay the lawyers. And that doesn't help anyone.

My point still stands, even the IDEA of using likenesses is a problem nowadays. Been a problem for a bit. It's a big misstep, even if it is stupid.

I don't disagree, likeness rights are a problem. It's when media personalities make boisterous claims like "that person looks like me, so it clearly is" with hardly any evidence outside of similar physical characteristics that it becomes a problem. I'm sure there are thousands of girls/women who look at Ellie and think "oh, she looks like me", but because it resembles someone famous that person either wants a paycheck or publicity. As for your examples, Johannson suing for her actual name is something much different from The Last of Us. The whole lawyer thing is a good point though, what with the Kardashian article. That being said, a video game is not a cereal commercial (or whatever it was) and Ellen Page is not Kim Kardashian. Like I said before, if they would even hear the case, she'd get blown out of the water.

Michael Biehn's likeness was used on the cover of Metal Gear way back in the 80's, without permission if I recall correctly. The only thing that sucked about that was that was the end of Solid Snake looking like Corporal Hicks. Then again, he is the voice of Rex Colt, so it all worked out in the end.

Grape_Bullion:

ObsidianJones:

Scarlett Johansson is trying her hand in it.

I don't disagree, likeness rights are a problem. It's when media personalities make boisterous claims like "that person looks like me, so it clearly is" with hardly any evidence outside of similar physical characteristics that it becomes a problem. I'm sure there are thousands of girls/women who look at Ellie and think "oh, she looks like me", but because it resembles someone famous that person either wants a paycheck or publicity. As for your examples, Johannson suing for her actual name is something much different from The Last of Us. The whole lawyer thing is a good point though, what with the Kardashian article. That being said, a video game is not a cereal commercial (or whatever it was) and Ellen Page is not Kim Kardashian. Like I said before, if they would even hear the case, she'd get blown out of the water.

The Johannson thing was intentional, as in my first link ties names and likenesses. Kim was the face in my viewpoint, and Johannson was the name part.

It's going to get overblown. The more people can cash into things (Likeness, IPs, Names, etc), the more suits and lawyers will be pulled out of the woodwork to give certain people money by restricting this and that. Licensing is now the standard. It might get blown out of the water, but each suit might weaken the levees.

Slight tangent: It's sad to think that when I introduce my first child to games, I'm going to have to think to myself "I remember when I used to own a game.

When the photos are side-by-side, I find Ellie Paige has a superficial likeness to Ellen, especially that they later altered Ellie's model to look more like her voice actress. On the other hand, Naughty Dog couldn't come up with a less suspicious name?

Everyone needs to chill out. She didn't even seem to be THAT pissed about it, not half as pissed as some people seem to be that she said anything at all (who I assume a significant proportion of which are fans of the game and therefore defenders of it).

Oh, who actually cares? (except Page apparently)

Sometimes fictional characters look like people in the real world, be it or coincedence or not. Get over it Ellen.

Is this really just based on her reddit AMA post?
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1gxgfx/i_am_actress_ellen_page_amaa/caoslna
It doesn't sound like she is pissed like everybody is saying just slightly annoyed since she is starring in another game...

MegaR:
Is this really just based on her reddit AMA post?
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1gxgfx/i_am_actress_ellen_page_amaa/caoslna
It doesn't sound like she is pissed like everybody is saying just slightly annoyed since she is starring in another game...

She offered a simple statement, and now the only people blowing this out of proportion are the media and Naughty Dog's butt-licking fanbase. It's sad.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here