Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The Analogy of the Mosquito

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Jimothy Sterling:
Sorry you took my video so seriously.

Isn't that the story of your life? I guess it comes with the territory of hyperbole, sarcasm, and many peoples' inability to recognize such. Further comments do show he was also just joking, but you have to deal with a lot more than that.

On a semi-related note, if you were to wear your gloves would that help with the handshakes, or is sickness just inevitable at cons?

Well Holmes lost his voice at E3 so now its your turn.

TiberiusEsuriens:

Jimothy Sterling:

Isn't that the story of your life? I guess it comes with the territory of hyperbole, sarcasm, and many peoples' inability to recognize such. Further comments do show he was also just joking, but you have to deal with a lot more than that.

On a semi-related note, if you were to wear your gloves would that help with the handshakes, or is sickness just inevitable at cons?

Eh, gloves do nothing for airborne things and really... everything you touch at a con is a potential germ festival. If you ever chance to go to one I recommend taking that Airborne dissolving vitamin stuff for a few days before and throughout the Con (or an equivalent product) in addition to normal vitamins, carry anti-bacterial hand solution, wash your hands frequently - and, very often neglected, wash your face frequently back at the hotel - lots of germs get in through there - and eat heartily. Budget for it. Sure the food is junk most times, but you know you won't be getting a full night's rest so go ahead with the calories and try to eat at least 1 decent thing (a breakfast bar, a nutritional shake thing, etc.) per day, two if you can!

That's your best fortifications against sickness, but it can still happen. Less severe though if you do some prevention steps as above.

Good week. Yahtzee's made me think of online gaming for women as analagous to them entering a bar in a skimpy dress. I found Jim's highly entertaining as well but for different reasons as usual. As per my earlier comment on recognising that despite the name, this isn't a competitoin, everyone wins!

Jim, I recommend attending the next con in a bubble.

TiberiusEsuriens:

Jimothy Sterling:

Jim's general persona can often fall into similar Poe's Law grounds that Colbert revels in. (The current use of Poe's Law now applies to more than just fundamentalism)

So yeah, exactly what you said.

I'm genuinely impressed that Jim even takes the time to interact with us. Bravo to his steel skin. Thankfully he doesn't sully his videos by actively winking to tell us he's joking or exclaiming "J/K" at the end of it.

I don't really follow gaming news anymore (but I still come here for Jim & Yahtzee). Is Jim referring to Krahulik's pre-PAX transgender fiasco or did he do something at the con that I don't know about?

The Mosquito poem was genius (well, maybe not but it was certainly creative), sorry to see you got sick, Jim.

So how do they come up with the titles? Does Yatzhee just set the title because he goes first? Do they flip a coin? Is it based on time - who has the longest poem? I'd like to know...
Also, Jim, a poem on paper or with subtitles would have been clever. Otherwise sorry to hear you're sick, but don't pretend you don't love the attention at Cons mate! You do and we love you for it!

Yahtzee won at wit. Jim won at life.

I kind of want Jim to become some kind of anti-con comicbook villain now. One disease too many and now he wanders the halls of various conventions trying to infect and murder as many as he can. A sort of ilness/con version of Calander Man, if you will.

Vicioussama:
Why do so many get sick at cons? I never have. Perhaps I'm just superman :O

How many fans of yours do you shake hands with?

Lightknight:
Isn't that the story of your life? I guess it comes with the territory of hyperbole, sarcasm, and many peoples' inability to recognize such. Further comments do show he was also just joking, but you have to deal with a lot more than that. Jim's general persona can often fall into similar Poe's Law grounds that Colbert revels in. (The current use of Poe's Law now applies to more than just fundamentalism)

So yeah, exactly what you said.

I'm genuinely impressed that Jim even takes the time to interact with us. Bravo to his steel skin. Thankfully he doesn't sully his videos by actively winking to tell us he's joking or exclaiming "J/K" at the end of it.

We're living in an age filled with so much bile that if you're a genuine fan of someone, I think you should only send unmistakeable positivity in their direction.

Great one with the mosquito, that's a keeper!!!

I'll say Jim wins this week. Con plague sucks. To avoid it you can't touch anything others touch without then using sanitizer. Push the button on the elevator, sanitize. Used the stair banister, sanitize. Got some water from the public tables, sanitize. Touched a toy, plushy, body pillow, anything on the vendor tables, sanitize. Shake hands, sanitize. Sign someone (seriously), sanitize. There are so many things that you have to avoid you can't go to a con, and come back clean inside.

Excellent job this week, to both of you.

Sorry Jim to hear of your misfortune. I'm okay with any revenge you may bestow upon my non-existent hand that was not actually at PAX, as long as it doesn't involve usage of the dragon dildo and the bitch fist.

Ermmm.... can anyone tell me what is it that happened at PAX that annoyed Jim?

Besides getting sick I mean :P

This isn't a contest. Why can't we stop making Jim feel bad by saying Yahtzee won?

Jhonie:

Really Offensive Name:

While this may work, every time I have ever gotten sick I've used a product called 'lemsip'. It's basically just Paracetamol with lemon flavored bits in it, but I find it works better than the tablets. At least for me it does...

Put the sachet' into boiling water and BAM! 6-8 hours of relatively pain-free existence. Doesn't taste very good, but it helps you sleep.

Never heard of it. I don't think it's available in Sweden, where I'm from, so for me that option's pretty much moot :/

I think you're right, I looked it up and it appears to be a UK/AUS product... The name sounded American, but I guess my advice is pretty much useless here :S...

Psychobabble:
I'm sorry to spoil your wonderful analogy Yahtzee, but the bloodsucking members of the mosquito family are all female.

Seriously? You feel the need to point out that the blood sucking ones are female, but you don't take issue with them talking? Congratulations for being able to share your nugget of wisdom.

A similar thing happened a few years ago when a person wrote a letter of complaint to a newspaper that had featured a Far Side comic where the male mosquito made a comment about sucking blood.

Yahtzee's best poem yet.

Jim almost as amazing as always. It's a tie I guess :)

You're the best guys.

I hear ya, Jim. Every time I've gone to a con I've always gotten sick. It's inevitable. I used to go to Anime Central every year, but now I skip because it's so big and out of control and a lot of the goers seem unfamiliar with the concept of hygiene. Or how to cover their mouth when they sneeze. I saw someone sneeze right on a shelf of DVDs I had yet to peruse. I can't imagine having to shake hands with all of them. I personally thought the poem about the whole experience was amusing.

Jhonie:

I.Muir:

Jimothy Sterling:

I found honey tea helps.
Though as to why I can't really say.

It's because Honey is antiinflammatory as well as an expectorant. Or just one of the two, but it's good for the throat regardless. Milk, however, only aids the mucus in forming, so stick to green or herbal tea. Also, Ginger tends to work wonders against colds, so my tip is to peel a (really small, ginger is quite intense) bit of fresh ginger root and slice it up in thin slices. Then add them to a cup of boiled water and let it lay for a couple of minutes. Add a teaspoon of honey and voila. Herbal tea on ginger. Works wonders on colds.

That's some pretty good advice

gridsleep:
This is supposed to be a competition?

Welcome to Rhymedown Spectacular, the show where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

I love your analogies Yahtzee, this is probably one of your best. Damn disease carrying mosquitos.

Yahtzee's poem was really interesting, and quite amusing, and I appreciate that the dialogue between the mosquitoes is not dissimilar from what goes on among male gamers who would allege to be well-meaning with some frequency.

But the analogy still makes me somewhat uneasy in this: From the outset, one knows beyond question that a mosquito on your arm is there to suck your blood, that that's what it wants and what its actions are foreshadowing.

Is the implication, then, that in *any* interaction between a male gamer and a female one, it should be assumed that the male gamer's underlying intention is to seek romantic or sexual attention from the female gamer?

I like to think that we're a little better than that...

Yatzee is master of analogy once again. Very well done.
Jims felt weak, he used same schtick of "you like yatzee better" that he already did and then it kinda vent nowhere. We still love you though.

What better way to celebrate Talk Like Zecora day than with some witty wordplay.

My home remedy for getting better is to wait until my body's natural immune system fights the virus in my system. Works every time!

guysmiley:

Psychobabble:
I'm sorry to spoil your wonderful analogy Yahtzee, but the bloodsucking members of the mosquito family are all female.

Seriously? You feel the need to point out that the blood sucking ones are female, but you don't take issue with them talking? Congratulations for being able to share your nugget of wisdom.

A similar thing happened a few years ago when a person wrote a letter of complaint to a newspaper that had featured a Far Side comic where the male mosquito made a comment about sucking blood.

Mosquitoes seem to communicate with each other just fine. They just do so in mosquito.

Maybe in his world travels Yahtzee has mastered their language. I mean my Gran is upper crust English and in her globe trotting years she willed herself the ability to speak to poor people. I'm sure human to mosquito communications is a trifle compared to that struggle. I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

However now that you bring it up ...

MOSQUITOES CAN'T TALK YAHTZEE, YOU DUNDERHEAD! I find it a serious liberty for you to so callously misrepresent the mosquito population in this manner.

Given Jim's comments on Krahulik, I am genuinely hoping the next Jimquisition is all about him. Really. Really hoping so.

Sorry you're sick Jim but if it's any consolation you made me laugh out loud repeatedly this week with your rant poem.

twm1709:
Ermmm.... can anyone tell me what is it that happened at PAX that annoyed Jim?
Besides getting sick I mean :P

He mentioned "Krahulik" being the one to sour him so a wild stab in the dark would be:
http://www.newstatesman.com/alex-hern/2013/09/penny-arcade-reopens-dickwolves-controversy

TiberiusEsuriens:

It's just inevitable from having so many people, some of whom have poor hygiene or sickness they brought with them, in such close proximity to each other for prolonged periods of time in an enclosed environment. That's not factoring in the effects of con food, lack of sleep and stress.

You just have to embrace the gifts Papa Nurgle gives you and wait out Nurgle's Rot "ConFlu"

Hopefully Jim gets better soon. Wonder if the next jimquistion is about Krahulik?

Scorched_Cascade:

He mentioned "Krahulik" being the one to sour him so a wild stab in the dark would be:
http://www.newstatesman.com/alex-hern/2013/09/penny-arcade-reopens-dickwolves-controversy

I, too, am curious to know what Jim is upset about. This is a mystery that must be solved.

But I hope it's not that. But hey, if you really don't like jokes about imaginary raping creatures, (as opposed to, say, ducks) then I guess you'd want to stay as far away as possible from that sort of stuff.

Jim, you're right! You deserve a medal! Get well soon, Jim!
Thank god for Jim, and his work ethic!

Yahtzee had quite the excellent poem! Very true, very telling. Powerful message.

Scorched_Cascade:

... is that all? Not to revive the controversy, but have we really got to the point where he just makes reference to other things he's said to start a new firestorm? All the things he's done and he gets press over a comment that's little better than a forum troll?

Holkins once said that Krahulik had a talent for finding exactly what button to push, even on a person he met a few minutes ago, and then pushing it. I think he's finally found the media's button, and it's shaped like a dickwolf.

Both poems made me feel rather sad :(
One for stupid humans, one for seeing good humans sick.

Jimothy Sterling:

Adultism:
Derp, Maybe it's you who is dirty, all I hear is whine whine whine whine whine from Jim. But Yahtzee had a great one this time. Actually pretty perfect

EDIT: Sucks that hes sick but good job wasting our time.

but jim, you should know by now how few can actually take a joke, and i found something you might have fun bring up http://www.dccomics.com/node/305151

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here