How gamergate ruined games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

erttheking:

StatusNil:

erttheking:

I've been around awhile too, and while there were always issues, I feel like things got worse with GG, mainly because now there were clearly drawn lines.

I'd imagine so, so we should always remember who drew those clear lines.

Hint: it was the "game journos". But plenty of people were eager to adopt their hysterical "there is no neutrality when it comes to evil misogynerds!" ostracism strategy, just to be on that sweet "Right Side of History". There are always people who wish to "elevate" themselves by savaging cartoonish caricatures of their peers.

Ok let me stop you right there. I tried to stay neutral in this entire shit storm, I really did, but apparently that offended GG to such a degree you'd think I was calling them a bad word for Jews on a regular basis. I didn't get pushed out of neutrality by anti GGers. I got pushed out by GGers. Don't give me that "my shit don't stink" attitude. They were the ones arrogantly saying "if you're not pro GG you're anti consumer." Fuck that noise.

You can stay neutral overall while still chiming in for either side when you happen to agree with one or the other. Like, I consider myself neutral, I never once used the hashtag or do any email campaigns, but when I see things I deem correct, even if they're GG-related, I'll still support them out of genuine agreement. I think you might have had a similar streak with agreeing with the anti side which branded you as a member of it. Hell, I also was against this situation about someone getting fired from nintendo because they wrote a paper about lolicon in college, which was about an SJW-side person. Getting people fired for scientific and cultural analysis is not cool.

The trick is what you yourself consider yourself to be. As long as you consider yourself neutral, you are neutral, no matter what other people say.

Fischgopf:

And that's not even to say that they should have kept it in. I just wish they could honestly decide for themselves how to respond without outside pressure.

Out of curiosity, who would you prove this was done due to outside pressure? And, for that matter, how could you possibly prevent such outside pressure? Vacuum-seal devs away from outside society?

BeetleManiac:

Metalix Knightmare:
Define pissing their lives away. I was pretty active in the heyday of GG and still managed to write my book and work at my job as well as do things NOT related to GG. Including actually playing good vidya.

Good for you. Were there any other anecdotes about yourself you'd like to share, or was it just the one?

I dunno. You have any more broad generalizations about the individuals of a group, or was it just the one?

Metalix Knightmare:
I dunno. You have any more broad generalizations about the individuals of a group, or was it just the one?

Generalizations are handy. There aren't enough hours in the day for me to get work done and write lengthy posts all at once. I start out with a generalization and answer questions about the nuance as they come up. But if you'd like more generalizations, then off the top of my head drivers in Italy are kinda crazy and millennials ruin everything.

altnameJag:

Fischgopf:

And that's not even to say that they should have kept it in. I just wish they could honestly decide for themselves how to respond without outside pressure.

Out of curiosity, who would you prove this was done due to outside pressure? And, for that matter, how could you possibly prevent such outside pressure? Vacuum-seal devs away from outside society?

More to the topic of the thread. Dose it matter if it was outside pressure or not? Everything that is in anyway public will feel outside pressure. It's how society runs.

altnameJag:

Fischgopf:

You're right, it's impossible.

The issue at the time I guess was that some very aggressively left wing people were trying to entirely control the narrative, certainly online. Every game was being seen through an "-ims" lens.

Nothing wrong with people having niche forums to discuss whether a computer models arse is sexist or whatever if they feel that is important, just don't inflict into on everyone else.

It seems to have stopped now so job done I guess.

QuiteEnjoyed2016:

altnameJag:

Fischgopf:

The issue at the time I guess was that some very aggressively left wing people were trying to entirely control the narrative, certainly online. Every game was being seen through an "-ims" lens.

Nothing wrong with people having niche forums to discuss whether a computer models arse is sexist or whatever if they feel that is important, just don't inflict into on everyone else.

It wasn't common to begin with. A certain subset of gamers just gave it a myopic hyper-focus.

altnameJag:

QuiteEnjoyed2016:

altnameJag:

It wasn't common to begin with. A certain subset of gamers just gave it a myopic hyper-focus.

Why do you think JRPGs and rhythm games are a thing?

Metalix Knightmare:

altnameJag:

Because people from Japan make RPGs and people in general like rhythm games?

I feel like this is a trick question.

altnameJag:

Oh good, it's not just me. Metalix did you mean to quote somebody else?

altnameJag:

Metalix Knightmare:

altnameJag:

BeetleManiac:

altnameJag:

Not really, I just missed the myopic part there.

That said, if you want to get good at those games, you need the focus. JRPGs are grind happy as a rule and guitar hero...well...you ain't beating Through the Fire and Flames without near zen mastery.

Metalix Knightmare:

altnameJag:

Metalix Knightmare:

BeetleManiac:

altnameJag:

That said, if you want to get good at those games, you need the focus. JRPGs are grind happy as a rule and guitar hero...well...you ain't beating Through the Fire and Flames without near zen mastery.

I mean, sure, but what's that got to do with parts of gaming culture blowing a type of opinion article they don't like way out of proportion?

Smithnikov:

FriendoftheFallen:

Smithnikov:

I emulate his stance by simply saying "No Anti-GG ever threatened to throw me out of a helicopter".

It's this simple. I didn't get threats, insults, and told "Normie, get out" by anti-GG'ers. I got told that by GG'ers.

No GGer ever told me the black on white racist violence I experienced wasn't true racism or told me my understanding of racism was "naive." No GGer told me I was a horrible person for shitposting or shitchatting in-game chat. A-gg' s are the ones who have mocked or tuned out my arguments due to me being a cis white male.
An A-Gger was the one who told me that people who hold different opinions need to be culled from society.

Does that justify disparaging everyone in the other group because some in both groups are mean?

Isn't that what you do now? So apparently, it does.

I don't, though. I just disparage those who engage in bad tactics.Is that a tu quoque fallacy I detect?

Whoever said "there are no bad tactics, only bad targets," was a horrible excuse for a human.
I'm for many goals that are friendly to social justice but I find the mentality and bad tactics of the "warriors" to make them worse sociopaths and hypocrites than their opposition.

altnameJag:

Metalix Knightmare:

altnameJag:

BeetleManiac:

I mean, sure, but what's that got to do with parts of gaming culture blowing a type of opinion article they don't like way out of proportion?

Well when an opinion article openly and blatantly insults a significant portion of the audience and then doubles down on it, said audience getting pissy is kind of expected. Particularly when similar articles start popping up in a VERY short time frame with supposedly competing websites.

Metalix Knightmare:
Well when an opinion article openly and blatantly insults a significant portion of the audience and then doubles down on it, said audience getting pissy is kind of expected. Particularly when similar articles start popping up in a VERY short time frame with supposedly competing websites.

Two things. First off, based on how GG has petered out with little impact, it would be hard to describe them as a "significant portion" of the games-buying public. It's a multi-billion dollar industry that is officially mainstream.

Second, competition does not mean "bloody tribal warfare." My brother once worked at Popeye's Chicken and they didn't fire him for eating at Wendy's.

In all honesty, I think GG opened the eyes of a lot of people.

I've always felt that there was a creeping corruption of the industry, for years. I didn't know how to put a word to it, and I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that games were becoming more politically-correct, more leftist, with a pro-diversity agenda being pushed.

Gamergate brought it all out into the open, and let us know where the battlelines were drawn. If not for Gamergate, we wouldn't even know that we were - in fact - fighting a war. Sure, the odds were stacked against us, but we had several significant victories. More importantly, thousands of gamers were made aware that they were being faced with a hostile takeover, and finally began to fight back.

Without GG, it would have been impossible for those who secretly wished to go "No, what you're doing is wrong. Don't push your leftist trash down my throat, you fucks." to realize that they were not alone. What's important is that no-one trusts game journalists (and journalism in general) any longer, which means there's a lot more healthy skepticism and a willingness to call bullshit.

burnout02urza:
Without GG, it would have been impossible for those who secretly wished to go "No, what you're doing is wrong. Don't push your leftist trash down my throat, you fucks." to realize that they were not alone. What's important is that no-one trusts game journalists (and journalism in general) any longer, which means there's a lot more healthy skepticism and a willingness to call bullshit.

Really? What I've seen is a chaotic banner under which the most entitled and sheltered of gamers have gathered to play gatekeeper. And since they have decided that journalism in general is bad, they've fallen prey to a number of charlatans who used them for personal gain and continue to get away with it because no one within GG has the spine to admit they got played. If anything, GG supporters are more susceptible to bullshit and more likely to be pushing it. I've spoken to multiple people who say they abandoned GG specifically because it had been co-opted, used and eventually discarded by right-wing vultures, not even counting the fact that most of the core of the movement that remain continue to insist that they are the true gatekeepers of the medium and any opinion they do not approve of is forbidden.

burnout02urza:
and I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that games were becoming more politically-correct, more leftist, with a pro-diversity agenda being pushed.

So tell me, what time/era was it when games were right wing with an anti-diversity agenda you prefer being pushed?

burnout02urza:
Gamergate brought it all out into the open, and let us know where the battlelines were drawn. If not for Gamergate, we wouldn't even know that we were - in fact - fighting a war. Sure, the odds were stacked against us, but we had several significant victories. More importantly, thousands of gamers were made aware that they were being faced with a hostile takeover, and finally began to fight back.

Cute. The iron is that for those of us on the other side, your women, people of color, GLBT people and other minorities in gaming, this "war" of yours has been common knowledge for a long time. We've faced shit like "Fake Gamer Girls", we've put up with never being represented seriously in games and of having to socialize with gamers that would not count us as "true gamers" based on some whim of theirs. This "war" stretches back longer then the 2,5 decades that I've been gaming.

GamerGate just managed to make the actual bullies, those that would shut people out of their hobby because they aren't like them, tell themselves that they were the victims. It managed to make a hateful mob convince itself that it was actually a righteous crusade of the downtrodden. The reason I can never take that narrative seriously is because GamerGate just kept doing the shit that I've put up with for the entire time that I've been gaming: Trying to tell me that I am not a real gamer, that whatever I do I will always be a girl first and maybe a gamer if I just conform to what the guys want me to be. And the moment that I don't conform, I'm some hostile invader out to take their toys away or faking my interest in my biggest hobby.

No, fuck that noise. GamerGate's supporters are the reason gamers have a bad name. The fact that Alexander couldn't even say that without getting dogpiled by angry gamers speaks volumes about the toxicity of gaming culture, a toxicity that GG was all too happy to defend.

Gethsemani:

burnout02urza:

Cute. The iron is that for those of us on the other side, your women, people of color, GLBT people and other minorities in gaming, this "war" of yours has been common knowledge for a long time. We've faced shit like "Fake Gamer Girls", we've put up with never being represented seriously in games and of having to socialize with gamers that would not count us as "true gamers" based on some whim of theirs. This "war" stretches back longer then the 2,5 decades that I've been gaming.

GamerGate just managed to make the actual bullies, those that would shut people out of their hobby because they aren't like them, tell themselves that they were the victims. It managed to make a hateful mob convince itself that it was actually a righteous crusade of the downtrodden. The reason I can never take that narrative seriously is because GamerGate just kept doing the shit that I've put up with for the entire time that I've been gaming: Trying to tell me that I am not a real gamer, that whatever I do I will always be a girl first and maybe a gamer if I just conform to what the guys want me to be. And the moment that I don't conform, I'm some hostile invader out to take their toys away or faking my interest in my biggest hobby.

No, fuck that noise. GamerGate's supporters are the reason gamers have a bad name. The fact that Alexander couldn't even say that without getting dogpiled by angry gamers speaks volumes about the toxicity of gaming culture, a toxicity that GG was all too happy to defend.

Being a cis white heterosexual male wasn't enough to save me from the self appointed inquisitors, how the hell could someone that was already on their shitlist and not part of their NotYerShield apologetic group (by the by, NYS got shitcanned by /ggrevolt/ for being too PC) avoid the bullet?

BeetleManiac:

Metalix Knightmare:

Two things. First off, based on how GG has petered out with little impact, it would be hard to describe them as a "significant portion" of the games-buying public. It's a multi-billion dollar industry that is officially mainstream.

Second, competition does not mean "bloody tribal warfare." My brother once worked at Popeye's Chicken and they didn't fire him for eating at Wendy's.

The hit to Gawker's ad revenue doesn't really say little impact.

Also, there is a pretty wide difference between eating at a competitor's resturant, and collaberating with a competitor to share recipes and push agendas.

Metalix Knightmare:
The hit to Gawker's ad revenue doesn't really say little impact.

Also, there is a pretty wide difference between eating at a competitor's resturant, and collaberating with a competitor to share recipes and push agendas.

It was the Hulk Hogan lawsuit that brought Gawker down, so don't give yourself too much credit.

No doubt you've been told this before, but journalists are not sworn enemies of one another. All publications look for their exclusives and whatnot, but most information is readily shared because the whole point of journalism is to spread information. How much do you actually know about journalism? Like actually know, not conjecture.

Gethsemani:

Speaking of cute, I really dig the insinuation of ownership of "women, people, GLBT people and other minorities" by your "side". But that aside, I'm really curious to learn when exactly did The Hacker Known as "GamerGate" try to tell you you're "not a real gamer" because you'll "always be a girl first". I have a working theory that he does that every time there's a blue moon in the month of Smarch, as documented on the "That Happened!" subreddit. I'd be interested in any evidence to the contrary.

And about Leigh Alexander, she could hardly claim "GamerGate's supporters are the reason gamers have a bad name" in an article that sparked the alleged "GamerGate's support". In fact, what she was doing was trying to make the case to the games industry that it should try to alienate "young men queuing with plush mushroom hats and backpacks and jutting promo poster rolls" who "don't know how to dress or behave", because it's "kind of embarrassing" to her, and doing her best to shame everyone else who's not a "lonely basement kid" into feeling that embarrassment too. Since we're apparently "fucking" noises, I say we do that toxic Mean Girl rant adding up to "I just don't know how we could be friends if you keep hanging out with dorks" too, along with her hipster "vignettes".

StatusNil:

Speaking of cute, I really dig the insinuation of ownership of "women, people, GLBT people and other minorities" by your "side". But that aside, I'm really curious to learn when exactly did The Hacker Known as "GamerGate" try to tell you you're "not a real gamer" because you'll "always be a girl first".

Not a woman here but I have seen it more than enough online. A bad Dota player with a man's voice is just a bad player but a bad player who happens to be female is a Bad Female Player.

jademunky:

Not a woman here but I have seen it more than enough online. A bad Dota player with a man's voice is just a bad player but a bad player who happens to be female is a Bad Female Player.

But what exactly does that have to do with "GamerGate's supporters"?

StatusNil:

jademunky:

But what exactly does that have to do with "GamerGate's supporters"?

Gatekeeping.

The knee-jerk response to demand certain people prove their gamer credentials to the satisfaction of those who consider themselves "real" gamers.

These insecure bullies are the kind of toxic people that those "Gamers are Dead" articles were dismissing and I can tell you that it was not ME that felt offended by those articles. If someone felt offended and called out by the gaming journalism community, they might want to think about why.

jademunky:

Gatekeeping.

The knee-jerk response to demand certain people prove their gamer credentials to the satisfaction of those who consider themselves "real" gamers.

These insecure bullies are the kind of toxic people that those "Gamers are Dead" articles were dismissing and I can tell you that it was not ME that felt offended by those articles. If someone felt offended and called out by the gaming journalism community, they might want to think about why.

This appears to be a case of getting things ridiculously backwards. I've certainly never seen anyone's "gamer credentials" being questioned as some kind of precondition for being "allowed" to criticize the disgraceful conduct of the gaming press, which is after all what the misleading term "GamerGate supporter" is used to refer to. Meanwhile, Leigh Alexander appears to have been engaged in gatekeeping the hobby to the extent of suggesting a freaking dress code, in addition to suave manners and an outgoing personality. Remember how she conflated "young men with plush mushroom hats" who "don't know how to dress or behave" with all the supposed ills of "game culture"?

That to me is vile. Gaming is one of the few hobbies in which the socially awkward have found acceptance, and it is simply plain wrong to call for expelling people from it for failing to live up to the elegant standards of Ms. Alexander, as seen in this glamorous portrait:

jademunky:

Gatekeeping.

People were offended because those articles were an insult to their intelligence. It wasn't dismissing 'toxicity', it was a desperate attempt to claw back control of the narrative. The liberal press realized that they'd gone too far, that the proles were rebelling, and they got scared.

Effectively, they overplayed their hand. They tried to shame those who would speak out against them (Hey, remember Sam 'Bring Back Bullying' Biddle?) and then lashed out when they found that their targets weren't folding. They were running scared, and it showed. Like true idiot savants, they managed to unite everyone against them.

It's actually quite incredible. If they'd been less stupid, less oblivious, more willing to call a spade a spade, there might not have been a Gamergate. It was a perfect storm, to the point where many people sitting on the fence went: "Holy shit, so there *is* a conspiracy."

Like, when this all started, I actually laughed it off. I thought that Eron was just a dude with a grudge. But then when the industry rallied to make Zoe Quinn their Joan of Arc, I realized that they were all in cahoots. I mean, the numales and thirsty white knights rallying to her banner to defend their waifu's sullied honor, and giving up all pretense of professionalism to do so? After that, you realize that's not the side you want to be on.

burnout02urza:

People were offended because those articles were an insult to their intelligence.

From what I've seen, many of those who allegedly felt their intelligence was insulted didn't even bother to read the articles they were so angry about. Instead they read articles from people who were upset about those articles. People who may not have read the articles either.

Not to mention that there might not have been all that much intelligence to insult in the first place, as those same people kept seeing some sort of conspiracy instead of a bunch of journalists and critics jumping on a hot topic. Because how dare people who are supposed to write about current affairs write about currents affairs.

I once tried to figure out how many of those people in the so-called Gamers Are Dead conspiracy were actually on that GJP list using Gamergate approved sources, such as Deepfreeze. Turns out it's just three out of 20+.

That's the level of intelligence that was apparently being insulted.

And then they made this amazing attempt to prove that writers like Leigh Alexander were actually right by acting like a bunch of gatekeeping assholes. Genius!

Why would it surprise anyone that so many people picked the side of some game dev that dared to publish a game for free? There wasn't a story there until Gamergate made it one. Even if she's not a nice person in real-life, she did not deserve that concrentrated level of shit being flung at her by people who wouldn't know what ethics were if it bit them in the ass.

Gamergate was nothing more than a bunch of people who were at best awkwardly and at worst assholishly trying to preserve what they percieved as the status quo. They did not do a very good job.

StatusNil:

This appears to be a case of getting things ridiculously backwards. I've certainly never seen anyone's "gamer credentials" being questioned as some kind of precondition for being "allowed" to criticize the disgraceful conduct of the gaming press, which is after all what the misleading term "GamerGate supporter" is used to refer to. Meanwhile, Leigh Alexander appears to have been engaged in gatekeeping the hobby to the extent of suggesting a freaking dress code, in addition to suave manners and an outgoing personality. Remember how she conflated "young men with plush mushroom hats" who "don't know how to dress or behave" with all the supposed ills of "game culture"?

I certainly do remember. Again, as someone who owns a hat made to look like a Half-life Headcrab, I was not offended. (or at least I think I still have it somewhere)

That to me is vile. Gaming is one of the few hobbies in which the socially awkward have found acceptance, and it is simply plain wrong to call for expelling people from it for failing to live up to the elegant standards of Ms. Alexander, as seen in this glamorous portrait:

The angry, sweaty, neckbearded, basement-dewlling misogynist who doesn't shower and treats every online match like the fate of the planet is at stake is a stereotype for a reason. We all know guys like that in real life.

Also, was there a point you were trying to make about her photo there? She looks fine.

burnout02urza:

People were offended because those articles were an insult to their intelligence. It wasn't dismissing 'toxicity', it was a desperate attempt to claw back control of the narrative. The liberal press realized that they'd gone too far, that the proles were rebelling, and they got scared.

No, the #notyourshield and the "actually it's about integrity in gaming journalism" were desperate and transparent attempts at wresting back control of the narrative. I was watching in August of 2014 when it happened and my whole opinion on GG & it's proto-movement the "Quinnspiracy" was formed from reading the opinions of it's supporters.

To me, to most people and most certainly the press (gaming and mainstream), the only aspect of the story that was of any importance was "Women were harassed online by angry mobs of complete strangers yet again." Keep in mind, I had been watching this train-wreck happen for a week or two before I had read a single article about it (I do not regularly read Polygon, Gawker, or these types of publications)

Effectively, they overplayed their hand. They tried to shame those who would speak out against them (Hey, remember Sam 'Bring Back Bullying' Biddle?) and then lashed out when they found that their targets weren't folding. They were running scared, and it showed. Like true idiot savants, they managed to unite everyone against them.

Not everyone. Like I said, I don't routinely read gaming publications and historically have had zero respect for them but actually was mildly impressed when they took the risk of calling out some of the most horrible and vocal elements in our community.

It's actually quite incredible. If they'd been less stupid, less oblivious, more willing to call a spade a spade, there might not have been a Gamergate. It was a perfect storm, to the point where many people sitting on the fence went: "Holy shit, so there *is* a conspiracy."

So if they had the courage to pander to the side that wanted a woman (who most certainly did NOT trade sex for favourable reviews) run out of town tarred and feathered for the crime of trading sex for favourable reviews, that would've been ok?

Like, when this all started, I actually laughed it off. I thought that Eron was just a dude with a grudge. But then when the industry rallied to make Zoe Quinn their Joan of Arc, I realized that they were all in cahoots. I mean, the numales and thirsty white knights rallying to her banner to defend their waifu's sullied honor, and giving up all pretense of professionalism to do so? After that, you realize that's not the side you want to be on.

Got it, Numales and White Knights bad, Mushroom hats and Chan board buttsex memes good (originally said "pepe memes" but decided that was kinda low).

burnout02urza:
Like true idiot savants, they managed to unite everyone against them.

That's not what "idiot savant" means.

After that, you realize that's not the side you want to be on.

Conversely, I'm proud to not be on the side of people who think that calling my sister a cunt and accusing her of being a fake geek girl for attention is acceptable.

StatusNil:
Remember how she conflated "young men with plush mushroom hats" who "don't know how to dress or behave" with all the supposed ills of "game culture"?

No? I remember her calling that out as a marketing stereotype of gamers and how marketing toward that stereotype was absurd though.

jademunky:

No, the #notyourshield and the "actually it's about integrity in gaming journalism" were desperate and transparent attempts at wresting back control of the narrative. I was watching in August of 2014 when it happened and my whole opinion on GG & it's proto-movement the "Quinnspiracy" was formed from reading the opinions of it's supporters.

To me, to most people and most certainly the press (gaming and mainstream), the only aspect of the story that was of any importance was "Women were harassed online by angry mobs of complete strangers yet again." Keep in mind, I had been watching this train-wreck happen for a week or two before I had read a single article about it (I do not regularly read Polygon, Gawker, or these types of publications)

Yeah, people seem to forget that all the "Reddit censorship" was dox being posted faster than human moderators could get rid of it, while Gamergate itself ended up being too toxic for 4chan, home of /b/.

Smithnikov:

burnout02urza:
and I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that games were becoming more politically-correct, more leftist, with a pro-diversity agenda being pushed.

So tell me, what time/era was it when games were right wing with an anti-diversity agenda you prefer being pushed?

There is no such time. His point is, you did not pick up a copy of Fade to Black (random example) in 1996 and wondered if the protagonist was gay/trans/whatever. And the gaming press did not wonder this for you nor did they imply anything negative if you did not wonder or wish he was. The game was neither praised nor criticized for not having a gay/trans/minority or anything.

Why have I chosen this game as an example? Nobody rated it based on... how shall I put this..... it's "progressiveness". Likewise, nobody gave it a review based on it's conservative ideals (real or perceived). It was simply just a non-issue either way and the game received the appropriate reviews based on it's merits (a decidedly average game).

Lets think about it another way - back in their time of release, if you said you were a fan of Duke Nukem or DOAXBV and liked the games for whatever reason, nobody would say anything (maybe a joking "ya perv" comment at best for the latter). But today, the gaming press themselves would be as likely to call you a misogynist prick as much as they would say "Ah well, he/she likes the gameplay/humour. Each to their own". If they dislike a game for whatever reason, they should simply say "it's bad". Not "it's bad and you should feel bad for liking/buying/advocating for it". They are supposed to be the advocates championing gaming (and yes, gaming culture) to both gamers and the wider audience. They certainly should not be shitting on gamers because they happen to object to the content.

NiGHTSJOD:

There is no such time. His point is, you did not pick up a copy of Fade to Black (random example) in 1996 and wondered if the protagonist was gay/trans/whatever. And the gaming press did not wonder this for you nor did they imply anything negative if you did not wonder or wish he was. The game was neither praised nor criticized for not having a gay/trans/minority or anything.

I'd count that socially liberal then. Definitely not a conservative stance.

Lets think about it another way - back in their time of release, if you said you were a fan of Duke Nukem or DOAXBV and liked the games for whatever reason, nobody would say anything (maybe a joking "ya perv" comment at best for the latter).

Coulda fooled me. I remember the DOA spin off getting flak, EGM getting letters from Christians slamming them for pormoting "flesh peddling" and "Lustful sin" and one writer even got mad for showing his little brother titties on what he thought was a family friendly game mag.

Also, did you forget DOOM? How many times did that come across the lips of conservative pundits? Duke 3D didn't get as much mainstream exposure, so it wasn't quite the target for busybodies.

But today, the gaming press themselves would be as likely to call you a misogynist prick as much as they would say "Ah well, he/she likes the gameplay/humour.

Iv'e said before, I have no love for the journo cabals. Fuck them. Their overly PC attitude is the least of their sins to me. I won't defend them.

If they dislike a game for whatever reason, they should simply say "it's bad". Not "it's bad and you should feel bad for liking/buying/advocating for it". They are supposed to be the advocates championing gaming (and yes, gaming culture) to both gamers and the wider audience. They certainly should not be shitting on gamers because they happen to object to the content.

Which is exactly what GamerGate ended up doing after the right wing donned the dad jeans and convinced so many frustrated gamers to sing along with their song in the Culture War. THAT'S when I became an enemy and made it official when I got declared an SJW for praising State of Decay.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here