Three Million Copies or No Sequel for Medal of Honor

Pages PREV 1 2

For me, EA going the 'authentic and plausible' route sounds better. The recent Call of Duty single player campaigns have always felt a little too silly and 'action movie'-y to me. Tone it down, with less snowmobile chases (and jumps) and less frantic running to deactivate the nukes before they hit the eastern seaboard of the USA, and I'm much more likely to consider buying your game.

I WANT accurate and realistic dam it! If it's really what happened then it should leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Depends on if Black Ops can fix what MW2 screwed up. And seeing how that's not likely to happen, if I have money and time between my paythroughs of Dead Rising 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and if MoH doesn't end up just a CoD clone and is more like BFBC2 (as in tactical, more team-based, vehicles optional), then I will get it.
Either thatm or wait for a reveiw from my cousin, who is a massive online shooter fan, and hear from him if the game is good compared to others. He ususally has the same taste in shooters that I do.
Also:

icyneesan:

'We' don't demand innovation and imagination, what people who play video games demand from developers now a days is 'fun'.

If you want innovation and imagination you should probably demand it from technology as a whole.

AMEN!

Well, dont worry, ill buy a copy... wait, yeah you should still worry...

Well I'm gonna buy a copy. I don't know if they'll hit 3 million though. That's a bit much consider they have to compete with COD during the same holiday season.

I like how there is no time cap to sell 3 million.

Good. I hope it ends. There are far too many games that are just long strings of sequels.

Daveman:
WHY did it get all these sounds? WHY does it have to be the real noise? WHY spend all that money when it could easily have been made cheaply in a recording sutdio? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, games are about as real as anybody wants them, can't we just make them fun?

Have you played Bad Company 2?

The sound in it is absolutely stunning and completely adds to your experience more than any other game I've ever played. Dice's sound department are the best in the biz IMO.

Considering how downhill the Medal of Honor franchise went after Frontline I won't hold my breath on this one.

I suppose it all down on how I feel about it at the Eurogamer Expo...

Sorry to say, Halo Reach will dominate every FPS out there. And I am not planning to get either of those but if I had to pick, it'd be Reach.

I already used my disposable income to pre-order it. Played the beta, and while it was rough, and not as good as MW2 or B:BC2, I thought it had potential. Still, Another competitor in the FPS market will bring nothing but competition and new ideas. Hopefully there's a new sequel.

Yeah I'll pass on another FPS war game just like I passed on Call of Dookie 2. I really hope Goodrich keeps his promise and it means that DICE gets to work on something original.

Moh:AA was the only game in the franchise that i really really liked. Quite original and fun - played countless hours in MP.

These new games are just clones of whatever is selling best at the moment. No loss for me here if they never make another clone again.

Not sure if I'm going to buy it. I'll buy it over Black Ops but since I bought TF2 and found it to be infinitely more fun than MW2 I'm not sure if I'll even bother with this.

When did it become acceptable for game companies/producers to tell the consumers how much of the product they were required to buy?

This recalls an article where the producers of Chrono Trigger (<3) made mention that the reason why no further sequels were made, was directly based off of the sales of Chrono Cross, and the DS remake. Well, Im sorry, people arent going to give more than a passing nod of nostalgia to a game thats over 10 years old, and available on no less then 3 platforms.

If we, as gamers, accept statements like "10 million copies or no sequel" as "ok", then we can rest assured that our beloved franchises will become hostages to our wallet, and the producers greed.

(Disclaimer: Im not saying MoH is a beloved franchise.)
(Disclaimer 2: I dont need a lesson on econmics, 'voting with your wallet' or any other capitalistic notions. I understand how it works. Its still insulting to have game producers tell us how many copies we need to buy.)

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven

Doesn't surprise me acording to pachter the internl data sugested they expect about 3 million units sold

Why yes, O Almighty EA Overlords, I shall buy one of three million copies, so that I and my fellow peons can enjoy another brown sequel to a completely generic brown shooter where you shoot brown people (though admittedly, that's still better than vodka drenched russians). Speaking of brown, the latest Stolen Pixels covered it nicely...

mythgraven:
When did it become acceptable for game companies/producers to tell the consumers how much of the product they were required to buy?

This recalls an article where the producers of Chrono Trigger (<3) made mention that the reason why no further sequels were made, was directly based off of the sales of Chrono Cross, and the DS remake. Well, Im sorry, people arent going to give more than a passing nod of nostalgia to a game thats over 10 years old, and available on no less then 3 platforms.

If we, as gamers, accept statements like "10 million copies or no sequel" as "ok", then we can rest assured that our beloved franchises will become hostages to our wallet, and the producers greed.

(Disclaimer: Im not saying MoH is a beloved franchise.)
(Disclaimer 2: I dont need a lesson on econmics, 'voting with your wallet' or any other capitalistic notions. I understand how it works. Its still insulting to have game producers tell us how many copies we need to buy.)

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven

I couldn't agree more with you!

The Great JT:
No one buy it! Send a message to these jerks and tell them "no more repetitive shooters! We demand innovation and imagination!"

*twitch*

There are plenty of innovative games for you to play, and plenty of shooters for me. If you ever actually tried them, you'd discover they played differently. But, I suppose it is easier to tell people that they have to have fun the way you do, isn't it?

Because god damnit, I've never told anyone not to play innovative games, or that they mostly end up being made solely for the sake of innovation, rather than having a good idea. Because they know if the make a gimmick important enough, people will buy it to be different.

Because I'm not a member of the Fun Police, and I think people can have fun however they want as long as it isn't illegal or compromising someone else.

The Great JT:

No, because if it sells well, it means that they'll just keep making sequels that don't add anything new to the gameplay and is completely carried by the online multiplayer.

Halo, Madden and Call of Duty get away with it, and they're horrible enough as it is. I don't want to see more game franchises get away with re-hashing their first games with next to no additions.

Hearing that from you is kinda weird. You don't have Xbox Live Gold, and haven't played ODST which means you most likely didn't get into the Reach Beta which which showed that it's a different game. Reach is quite different from halo 3 but still feels like Halo. I will agree with the statement when talking about Madden and COD but Reach does not apply in that statement. Also, don't rip on the other halo games either because those were different from each previous games as well. I mean they didn't completely overhaul the gameplay but if you completely change the gameplay it just doesn't fell right when you're playing it. Example: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103389-Portal-2-Originally-Lacked-Portals
Portal 2 Originally lacked portals because the developers wanted to change Game play and it just didn't sit right with the players. Don't get me wrong, I love me some innovation (Backbreaker>Madden by far IMO) but just because a developer makes a sequel to their game using the elements that made their game good in the first place doesn't make it bad, but alot of innovation can stem from one small change within a game.

In all honesty, I'm probably going to buy it just to spite the controversy surrounding it.

But remember;

Don't use the "It's just a game" excuse! That completely undermines the entire point of the game and only further proves their point that the game is tasteless!

:DDDDD YEESSSS!!!!! I hope it makes 2,999,999 so they can go back to WW2!

So I do nothing and a boring war franchise dies? Win win.

Well I'll buy it, if only to play frontline again in HD and with trophies

Gonna be tough to sell 3 mil when the only place it hasn't been banned is on the moon.

I don't think I will buy it, to me the beta was like BFBC2 just a lot worse.

MiracleOfSound:

Daveman:
WHY did it get all these sounds? WHY does it have to be the real noise? WHY spend all that money when it could easily have been made cheaply in a recording sutdio? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, games are about as real as anybody wants them, can't we just make them fun?

The sound in it is absolutely stunning and completely adds to your experience more than any other game I've ever played. Dice's sound department are the best in the biz IMO.

I guess I should listen to you as you're "MiracleOfSound" but I really don't care about realism. I'm happy for somebody to snap some celery and tell me it's a leg breaking rather than finding out what it actually sounds like. It's suspension of disbelief.

Daveman:

MiracleOfSound:

Daveman:

I guess I should listen to you as you're "MiracleOfSound" but I really don't care about realism. I'm happy for somebody to snap some celery and tell me it's a leg breaking rather than finding out what it actually sounds like. It's suspension of disbelief.

The sounds aren't all that realistic, that's my point. They're huge, bombastic and exaggerated, with crazy sub-bass frequencies and low synth swells going off everywhere. It really adds to the excitement.

Charcharo:

Zenode:

Charcharo:
You lost a sale. Im not paying almost half of what the minimum wage is here for this game.
ALso you are setting you sights too high. Its like WW2 games several years ago only instead of WW2 we have USA vs random guy with a silly hat or a Russain soldier. There a lot of competition.

You mean the war in afghanistan....cant really think of many shooters that have encompassed that recently.

I for one am getting it, they seem to have put a lot of work into it, yes the MP seemed a little too similar to BC2 but i liked the overall feel of it since it came down to teamwork to win a game not just LOLOLOLOLZ SPAM TUBEZ!!!!!!!

I never said it can't be a good game but it just costs a lot. You see the average PC game (50$) will be expensive here. But for some reason a console game (or a 60$ PC game) will cost 2 times that.
Thats the reason no one plays on consoles in Eastern Europe. Too damned expensive. And it seems after MW2 many PC games will follow this trend.

and new PC games are $100+ and new console games are $110+, I consider you lucky to have new PC games for 50 bucks.

Zenode:

Charcharo:

Zenode:

Charcharo:
You lost a sale. Im not paying almost half of what the minimum wage is here for this game.
ALso you are setting you sights too high. Its like WW2 games several years ago only instead of WW2 we have USA vs random guy with a silly hat or a Russain soldier. There a lot of competition.

You mean the war in afghanistan....cant really think of many shooters that have encompassed that recently.

I for one am getting it, they seem to have put a lot of work into it, yes the MP seemed a little too similar to BC2 but i liked the overall feel of it since it came down to teamwork to win a game not just LOLOLOLOLZ SPAM TUBEZ!!!!!!!

I never said it can't be a good game but it just costs a lot. You see the average PC game (50$) will be expensive here. But for some reason a console game (or a 60$ PC game) will cost 2 times that.
Thats the reason no one plays on consoles in Eastern Europe. Too damned expensive. And it seems after MW2 many PC games will follow this trend.

and new PC games are $100+ and new console games are $110+, I consider you lucky to have new PC games for 50 bucks.

1 doller is 1.4 leva. A person in Bulgaria gets (as a minimum) 300 leva a month. A PC game is usually anywhere form 60 to 80 leva. A console game is either 120 or 130.
You guys make over 550 (australian) dollers a week! SO yeah you are better.

Daveman:

NO we need MORE generic "realistic" war games! What kind of loon wants fun it needs to be a simulation! I'm actually hoping that 1 he's serious and two that it falls far short. Battlefield and CoD are plenty. I have a feeling this game is going to be boring and generic at best.

I doubt it will sell that many Copies. Oh well, =]

Why does this sound like a THREAT?!

It's like he's giving us an ultimatum!
"Buy this one or you can FORGET about any more like it!"

Hey pal, how bout you concentrate on making the game not SUCK, and if you can accomplish THAT mean feat, you won't have to WORRY because it'll sell ITSELF!

I will most likely get it.

...Pre-owned.

I can't afford to spend €50 on a new game.

If it's fun, I'll pick it up.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or