Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

It could be that they hit a snag when the voice of the vilain from half-life 2 died if they had planned to use him in Episode 3.

Plurralbles:
so they really want to win MM don't they? I mean... shit... release the game and then I'll care and vote for you. For now and for forever, BLIZZARD all the way.

Kinda ironic, considering how often Blizzard churns out new games... -_-

If there's one thing we can all agree on it's that Valve aren't stupid.

They know that if they release 3-4 hour "episodic slice" of a game after 4+ years, then there will be a shitstorm of unimaginable proportions. So I'm pretty much banking on them betting that they're gonna hit us with a full on Half-Life 3. They had said in the past that the Episodes won't be the end of Freemans story or the HL world so perhaps they decided to say "Fuck it", end the "Episodes" at Episode 2 and skip straight on to the third game in the series.

Gxas:
I'll bet they're making a new engine for it.

Speaking of which, I (finally) just finished Portal the other day. I must be one of the only people ever who finds the Source engine extremely clunky and nearly unplayable...

Unlikely, the source engine has been updated and refined for around a decade, their not gonna throw that out for no reason. Especially seeing some of the progress they have made in lighting physics and flames recently inside the engine. Pretty much everything from episode 2 to now was them messing around trying to improve their engine by branching out, now they have improved it their coming back to their breadwinner.

ps: Valve comes out and says this every couple of months, in case you haven't noticed. The first time I was like "wooo" but now I could care less.

I'm 98% positive they are making a Source 2 engine and going to release the next HL as Half Life 3. The episodic thing was a failed experiment (failed due to sidetracking... I guess).

bahumat42:

Gxas:

Speaking of which, I (finally) just finished Portal the other day. I must be one of the only people ever who finds the Source engine extremely clunky and nearly unplayable...

Unlikely, the source engine has been updated and refined for around a decade, their not gonna throw that out for no reason. Especially seeing some of the progress they have made in lighting physics and flames recently inside the engine. Pretty much everything from episode 2 to now was them messing around trying to improve their engine by branching out, now they have improved it their coming back to their breadwinner.

I suppose thats close enough to a new engine. At least they've been doing something!

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
If Duke Nukem Forever hits shelves before we have a trailer for Half Life 3 I may have to burn Gabe alive.

(Who wants bacon? :D)

If you Fry The GabeN, everyone will have bacon for atleast 4 years, and I mean EVERYONE. :D

Seriously though, The Freeman Shall Be Upon Us! Celebration time!
yay! ( also, Peter Molly's son will be happy :D )

As a massive Half-Life fanboy (plushie headcrab? Oh yeah...) I think they basically shit gold, and normally their long development times are one of the best things about them. I would much rather have a brilliant game that took ages to make, than a quickly tossed off okay game that's good but flawed. Normally.

But as constructive criticism, the stated aim of the HL2 episodes as being episodically released to give fans something to nibble on while waiting for HL3 has unfortunately failed. I don't know what's gone wrong in the development process, but they need to have a think about it, cos it's not working. Episodic releases are supposed to be episodic. Otherwise they are pointless and might as well be full games.

Valve, we love you, but please don't promise what you can't deliver.

It should be released at the same time as Duke Nukem Forever. No heads up, no news, just release it on Steam. Would seriously make people go whaaaaaaaaaat?! It would be the death of the 2 longest running gaming jokes we have. It would be sad and hilarious at the same time.

I'm not sure I even care anymore. I mean, I used to love the series, but I tried playing Half Life 2 again and...It hasn't aged very well. The whole thing just felt like a chore.

Meh, we'll see.

When it's done.

If everything goes right, and Duke Nukem is released June, HL2:E3 will be the new Duke.

A few years ago i made a joke that Duke Nukem Forever would come out before half life episode 3, and now it is. The universe has a sick sense of humor.

I just started playing it again. So i wouldn't mind seeing a new one. Given it doesn't get the same treatment it did on the PS3 with #2

I think Valve knows as much as anyone (and I think, to be honest, they'd already started to figure this out when Episode 2 came out) that the episodic experiment just hasn't worked out like they (and we) would have liked.

That's ok. Sometimes you try something and it just doesn't work, and you have to change tack.

That's clearly what Valve have done. They've taken the rather simple notion that the frustration of not knowing when the story is going to be continued is temporary, but a bad game is forever.

People forget that once upon a time, the two biggest vapourware jokes were about Duke Nukem Forever and Team Fortress 2. Unless I missed it, not a single person has brought it up that TF2 was announced in 1998, and only came out in 2007, and just went dark for a period of years with absolutely nothing heard about it. I was there. I remember! I remember watching the original gameplay videos (on 56k dial-up!) where mouths flapping along to voice coms was a revolutionary feature. Then nothing was heard again for years.

As it turned out, they churned through a bunch of different designs for it because each one they tried just wasn't fun enough. You forget that it took forever to come out, because once it's out, and it's good, the wait doesn't matter one jot.

I'd bet the same thing is happening with the next Half-Life game. Hold your horses, it'll be good when it comes out.

Well hell at least its something.

They need to hurry up seriously, I don't want to be in my 40s when we finally get to play as Gordon Freeman again!

Valve's game making model:
Start working on Half Life. Come up with a new project and cease current work on Half Life. Work on a new game. Release the new game to critical and commercial success. Continue working on Half Life. Come up with a new project and cease current work on Half Life...

Freeman will need that beer barny owes him... he will likely have a free bus pass too!

This is good news. Long waitings don't bother me; but the lack of information had me worried they forgot about it.

Raiyan 1.0:

Plurralbles:
so they really want to win MM don't they? I mean... shit... release the game and then I'll care and vote for you. For now and for forever, BLIZZARD all the way.

yeah, the Starcraft: Ghost thing was kinda' bad.

But they created an international sport... which, yes, CS is a professional game, but it was never on 3 separate channels and created fandom more rabid than american's when it comes to football.

... It better be Half-Life 3 instead of Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

I'm not buying if it's Episode 3, unless it's dirt cheap. The sheer lack of gameplay hours across Episode 1 and 2 combined was not worth it.

Veloxe:
EDIT: Or maybe they'll pull a fast one and turn episode 3 into Half Life 3! Heh.

On April the 1st! :O

I'm sorry but saying "yeah we're doing it" doesn't convince me. Tell us something or shut up. Hinting at us to death isn't going to work.

Gxas:

Umm, actually no. That is partly why I don't love Half Life or Portal like everyone else. It feels like your sliding on ice and almost everything you bump into holds you up. Not really a bad thing, but it takes away from the immersion of your trying to step into the suite of Gordon Freeman.

All I can think of when I read this news post is "How is Valve winnin March Mayhem again?" The other developer with the when its done mentality at least has the sense to tease their fans a bit with stuff like gameplay...or screenshots...or trailers. Valve just tells everyone that it'll be done when its done and to stop askin about it.

On the plus side, I do still think the picture is adorable.

Halflife 1 did a number of things. first they made a great engine used further for a number of mods, among them the multiplayer game that have been played the most in the west, ever. Counterstrike.
The way the story was told was different to any other game, and although it wasnt all that deep, it was a hell of alot smarter than games like Quake, Shogo etc.

With Halflife 2 we got steam, source, the gravity gun, a great continue on the story, two great followup episodes, loads of games made with source etc etc.
The game itself wasnt that huge, it was all of the things that happened around the game which made this a huge happening.

I really do think Valve feels obligated to deliver twice as much for each new round of halflife.
To make it an actual shift in generations. Atleast for PC gaming.

Who knows, maybe they are actually making the whole singleplayer of halflife 3 controlled by a AI director? Perhaps they will create a world where everything, every single object/building can be manipulated all the way down to dust?

Maybe they can really throw us a revolution and let us LEAN and go PRONE!!!!????

It will be Half-Life 3 and probably even worse yet again.. Bring back old school Half life where you had to survive an hour with 1hp and no bullets!!

As long as games like Portal 2 are still coming out I can wait. I liked HL2, Episode One and Episode 2 a lot but out of the ValVe games I've played they're actually some of their weakest titles in my opinion. Besides even though ValVe takes forever with their games at least they eventually release them and delay them for logical reasons unlike another company I won't name (let's just call them 2D Zones) HL2 took about 5 years and TF2 took 10 and Most agree that both were worth the wait.

I do think they're planning on making it a full sequel (or a very long Episode) and I would rather have that than an Episode at this stage.

Gxas:
I must be one of the only people ever who finds the Source engine extremely clunky and nearly unplayable...

Compared to what? The only engine that's more well polished while being flexible is probably Unreal. Though I will say it's unstable as hell. I've never seen an engine so hostile to alt-tabbing.

Just in case you'd forgotten about it, we might bring it out.

Plurralbles:

Raiyan 1.0:

Plurralbles:

yeah, the Starcraft: Ghost thing was kinda' bad.

But they created an international sport... which, yes, CS is a professional game, but it was never on 3 separate channels and created fandom more rabid than american's when it comes to football.

I'm not questioning Blizzard's capability, considering I'm a big Star Craft fan. The irony I pointed out was that both of them have unbelievably long development cycles.

Blizzard can afford that because of revenues from WoW, Valve can afford that because of Steam.

CM156:
I think at this point we can expect the next instalment in the amount of time equilivant to Uranium-234's half-life

In 703,800,000 years then. Thank god there's minecraft.

I can't help but get the feeling that Valve just dangled the carrot a little lower to give me hope. Seriously though, I'm already over it. Valve makes amazing games but there scheduling is abysmal. They're probably the most solid example of the business side, not the creative side, of a company lowering the standards of the company overall in terms of output. They'd be the best there is at what they do, if they could ever just do it.

All these years and not even a screenshot? I'm picturing a greasy car salesman instead of a PR Chief.

What a joke

z3rostr1fe:
So.... Half-Life 3??

Technically the episodes are Half Life 3. Well, 2/3rds of Half Life 3 since they decided to not finish the story in a timely manner.

Well if duke nukem is anything to go by, we will wait just long enough for everyone to stop caring and then gearbox will pick up the ip and then we will wait a bit longer.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here